Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I genuinely like the combat too, and i also genuinely like the combat in ds 1 and bloodborne, and in monster hunter. So i dunno, different strokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Learning the combat mechanics means getting sidestep and dodge timing correct. Precise positioning is less important. For example, the easy way to deal with shield carriers(other than axii to stun for a quick kill) is to sidestep around them when they swing at you, which leaves you behind them where they can't block. Get a few hits in, repeat. You also shouldn't rely on parry for monsters. It's useful on humanoids and a small number of armed monsters, defense is really all about dodge and sidestep.

At least, that's what I've figured out so far, and I'm running around outside Novigrad on death march because every other difficulty is a cakewalk at this point.

You can't parry (and probabaly can't counter) heavy attacks, which includes things like the drowner lunges etc. Apart from that, almost everything else can be parried - wolf bites, drowner claw combos, arrows.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

HyperPuma posted:

Now I'm fuckin ballin got swipes for map, inventory, meditate, and quests, PS button changes sign, and click in touchpad is quicksave

Could you post the settings you did for this? I'm guessing it's some combo of ds4windows settings and the keybindings ini file?

Tyree posted:

I wish that when you are in combat, and you want to run around, it would let you instead of stopping randomly to go in your defense sword stance for no reason.

If you hold A (or whatever sprint is on keyboard) you can run even in combat, in any direction.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Madcosby posted:

The modding world loves open world games so hopefully the modding kit is robust and the community gets to work right away. So many simple improvements to this game would go a looooong way

The mods will all be tiny variations on "More Realistic Peasants (by which we mean they all have colgate white teeth and d-cups)", "Slut Makeup Yennifer", "Realistic Drowner Penis (now sways in the wind!)", and some romance mod for the griffon.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dragon's Dogma is similar to this in that it has a lot of flaws but the things it does well, it does really drat well to the point you ignore the issues with it.

My biggest issue with W3 though is the combat - it sits in a really uncertain spot between being a full on brawler type game like DD, and a more tactical style of combat like dark souls. The damage is like souls, but you don't have exact control over what attack you do since it's range-sensitive, and due to the soft lockon, you can't guarantee which enemy geralt will target. Both of which wouldn't be bad in a brawler game, but just get really irritating here.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I have and will never play fallout 4 but i'm shocked to hear the voiced protagonist wasn't good in it. Truly shocked.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

More like Blood and Win!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

sebmojo posted:

i unironically prefer the sex cards to the blank eyed bioware grapplefests, because they seem like someone involved with their creation miiiiight once have had sex.

As much as they're still video game sex scenes, the witcher is really good at making it look like two people who are actually into each other.

Palpek posted:

The Witcher 1 did some things right like the idea behind the combat stances, how you use the potions and oils, meditation and the skill tree was pretty cool too. It was overall the closest to books when it comes to how being a Witcher feels like. However the worldbuilding and character development was all over the place, in the long run the combat was tedious and many environments were really bad. CDPR lifted many dialogues straight from the books how they pleased and gave them to different characters here and there so the quality of the writing was weird. There was also overall clunkiness to the game - it felt like a typical Eastern European title with too much ambition compared to its budget.

I loved it but i also loved vanilla STALKER so i think i just have a thing for janky cyrillic games or something