Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It helps that their music really owns.

Speaking of, I played the entire game after Hearts of Stone was already released. That meant that at one point, I stumbled upon some children in a circle singing a creepy song. I sat and listened to the entire thing and wandered on to continue my quest to find my daughter.

Later on, when I encountered Gaunter O'dimm for the second time (the first being in White Orchard), I heard that same melody used in his background music while also occasionally bringing in the Ladies of the Wood melody. I knew from there that this was going to be... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've youtubed it. I love how he has enough style to whistle his own theme music.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The whistler is quest designer Philipp Weber, sadly uncredited for his whistling.

This is a travesty. He should be the first name in the Hearts of Stone credits.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

twistedmentat posted:

He gets loans from Yennifer and Triss apparently.

I saw in a video today that if you try to romance both of them, they don't react very well to it.

While I want my video game man to have a happy ending, I feel like that is the true canon one because it is the most Geralt path possible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I looked up a walkthrough after finishing it, so AAAAARRRRRGH GOD loving DAMMIT.
I got caught up too much with the loving Eternal Fire clues that I forgot about how the murderer jumped a loving twenty foot wall.

:allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

twistedmentat posted:

So I didn't expect a Heist, and I didn't expect poo poo to get all Silent Hill.

I really hope Iron and Wine is this good.

The heist was the weak point in the expansion, but the third wish was really incredibly good.

Also, "A trader?" "In spices." gets a chuckle out of me every time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

toggle posted:

This is me: while I download 11gb of updates for this video game

You made me excitedly check my steam download history and find nothing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Strategic Tea posted:

I enjoyed the heist. The music helped!

Though it does seem that every major RPG these days includes ones (1) heist quest.

It's not bad, it's just the least good part of the expansion.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh nice :toot:

I also started Hearts of Stone, and people certainly had fun writing and acting Gaunter alright :munch:

Gaunter is just a delight to have on screen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He's apparently much worse in the books, but sometimes it feels like the game is going for its own version of characterisation from what I've heard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game never ends.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't even deliberately keep Ciri away from the emperor. She came to wanting to go hunt down a jerk and I was like "Yeah let's hunt down a jerk!" and that's how I ended up with Ciri as a Witcher. There was no deliberately keeping her away from the emperor involved.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go back and do grayed out missions. Rewards probably won't be much, but even random side quests and contracts have engaging stories. I almost missed out on Wild at Heart because it was grayed out but I decided to go back and do it on a whim.

That made me decide to never miss any quests.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Of course there is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but if he dies, he still gets what he deserves.

Deserve to die? Sure. Deserve to have his soul clamed by Literally The Devil? Ehhhh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lareine posted:

He dabbled in banditry and sold out his brother to get what he wanted but he didn't seem to be EVIL.

He was an rear end in a top hat and shady as gently caress, but I don't think he was evil pre-Gaunter.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Witcher 3 is The Game That Never Ends. Normally that's a bad thing but in this case I never got bored. Even when I completed my 100 hour run I wanted more. Good thing I had Hearts of Stone!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The fact that that outfit has colours other than black and white bothers me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zorodius posted:

obviously far right

Yeah that's the one giving him eyes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is no end.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Absolutely nothing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Witcher 3 is the only game I've seen where the female characters have the agency to dump you for two-timing them. Usually in games you just get a "Pick one of us to progress the relationship" scene/ultimatum.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Palpek posted:

The pitchfork story is also the little detail that makes a difference with the Cat school witcher. If you don't know the books it doesn't really matter that the Cat dude got jumped by a guy with a pitchfork but when you know Geralt's story you can tell that he's way more understanding for the dude after hearing that. Geralt even comments that 'it's a very dangerous weapon in close-quarters' and pauses as if he's remembering that situation. I couldn't kill him after that.

I agree, Geralt is definitely understanding of someone's reasons for murdering every man, woman and child in a village. It's not like his entire thing is defending the innocent and bringing justice to evil scum or anything.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Lone Badger posted:

I was thinking of the village in the Vizime outskirts (in Witcher 1). It was kinda on fire and filled with corpses when I left.

Killing everyone who attacks you is exactly the same as chasing down every man woman and child in the village.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love CDPR's humour at their own bugs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Haha you are me. I 'knew' they wouldn't just have her die like that, but it was masterfully delivered. And now they are chill monster hunting bros, best ending.

I too started again right away. Gwent, this time.

I'd heard that it was possible for Ciri to die, so when my epilogue started with me being fooled and thinking the sword was a memorial to her. Then I tried to equip it and realised it had a level 1 requirement, suitable for someone just starting out Witchering.... That's when I picked up on what was going on.

The epilogues are so good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

extra stout posted:

I'm back in the room with the baron now, my options are to follow him or go on my way to Novigrad. Not sure if I didn't understand your answer or if I'm just further than you think I am.

I killed the tree spirit before I returned to the baron

if you killed the tree spirit, you're fine and can safely complete the quest

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciri is one of the best things about the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43FnCO1DkOU

Best Character. (video has spoilers)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 12, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Palpek posted:

Just don't use this trick in that one animal quest during the wedding in HoS because you'll miss out on an epic reward.

I considered retrying to do it legit, then decided that using ~Witcher Tricks~ and getting burned for it was entirely in character for Vlodimir.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can't for a while.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just watched the new trailer and it's so beautiful.

I can't get over how gorgeously coloured it is for a ~dark fantasy~.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Are there any vlodimir walk mods?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heavier armour types give more armour but also make your stamina recharge slower, I believe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Huh. It's a weird thing coming to this game with no real knowledge of the world--I think they banked on that to try and set up moral choices for you. I'm in Novigrad and I accepted a Witcher contract Guards gettin' murked by some mysterious creature, as they were out a whoring. I track it down, determine it's a succubus, think "okay, it's probably gonna try and seduce/deceive me like all those rear end in a top hat lady ghosts did." so when the dialogue tree begins I just choose to straight up murder her. I mean, succubus, kills guys with sex, just a monster with a pretty face. But then I read the glossary entry after turning the quest in and I saw that in this world, succubi are not murderous at all, and don't steal souls or suck blood or anything like that. They're just super nymphos.

I bet if I'd played Witcher 2 or read a book or whatever, I'd not have been so untrusting out the gate, but because I was ignorant of the setting, I ended up making a logical, but clearly more callous choice, without even meaning to. Have I mentioned I really like how this game handles its moral choices and quest outcomes?

This is why you always check your glossary when doing witcher contracts. :eng101:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Let's go baby.
Pa paam. Pam pam paraaaam!

Wait, you've got it on Steam? How?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

aaaaaaa

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turns out I'm really out of practise. :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this isn't fair cdpr

you're not allowed to make your game continue being goty the year after it was released

let someone else have a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spoonhouse spoiler "all I remember is that he sold mirrors" aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

and the loving musical sting confirms it

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 31, 2016