Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Whatever you do DO NOT post about The Witcher 3 in the The Witcher 3 thread. Also I do not know what the word entitled actually means but it sounds bad???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Why do people in Games keep saying the word entitled/entitement as a negative thing when they really, really do not get what it means and how complaining that something doesn't look as advertised, while possibly retarded, is not entitlement in any negative sense.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Karrahad posted:

Because people are whining about a downgrade that didn't happen instead of discussing the ethics of marketing a work-in-progress videogame project with prendered graphics?

I know. That doesn't make them "entitled" or their complaints "entitlement" (nor even necessarily bad complaints! I don't really give a poo poo, the game looks totally fine to me, but it is fair to point out that if something was advertised as gameplay and it's not, that's not okay. It wasn't okay when Aliens did it either.) It's a stupid word that for some reason people have latched onto in the past few years despite it being totally loving wrong.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

It won't because people can't approach it in an intellectual manner, so all they do is fling poo poo and throw tantrums. Nothing gets done.

Agreed. It's super frustrating to me on both sides, the "There is no problem whatsoever you entitled babies!" and the "this is robbery gently caress this developer!" keep us from actually having a discussion on why this is such a prevalent thing and what, if anything, to do about it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

Yeah. I don't really think it's a big deal - false advertising is a pretty big thing these days (If it's even that, I don't think it is). Thinking a product will be a 1:1 relation to it's marketing material, when it's release is a couple of years away is a bit.. silly.

Plus, the actual product isn't even out yet - while review versions do exist, I don't think they are truly representative of the final product. People (and, often, society as a whole) are entitled in that they expect something to be 1:1. Often, it is not.

While not entirely relevant, I think there is a parrel in ordering a Burger. Does it look identical to the marketing material? No, it'll look different depending on who made it, who dressed it and who hosed up and dropped it on the floor. Will the game look identical to the marketing material? No - and it'll look wildly different depending on the hardware it's run on. It may even look different to different people, depending on how they personally appreciate the visuals.

In regards to the parallel, I've heard there are some places where images used for advertising of food have to be pictures taken of something using the actual ingredients as it would be made, using the same recipe/process, so while you'll rarely see it done, it COULD be as advertised.

What about the case where it can't possibly be done, though? A case like, say, with Aliens, where the game can't possibly, no matter what hardware you throw at it, look as good as they advertise? That's really what I'm interested in.

Bardeh posted:

Realise that marketing is marketing. Don't take it at face value, and just wait to see some real gameplay footage closer to release.

Generally good advice, of course, but I can't blame someone for expecting something labeled as gameplay to be the gameplay. Maybe they shouldn't expect that, but that seems deceptive to me.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

That is interesting - I had no idea there was an approach like that. Yeah, Alien's CM is a really good example of not only a complete downgrade but a huge lie about the end result. Witcher 3 is not anywhere remotely close to that, though. Ideally this could all be solved with Developers/Publishers putting "Not representative of final product" or "Our goal is for it to look like this" or, hell. "Potentially subject to change"

That's solve it all.
No it wouldn't. People are dumb.

:agreed:, with all parts. I seem to remember some Bioshock ads that did just that, they had what you said, "Not representative of gameplay" or something, on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
No