Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, it was pretty clear to me from the get-go that the Stranger was a smarmy rear end in a top hat, what with intentionally keeping you in the dark, throwing on the meta-guise of having a fun "heist" mission for players to lure them in despite it being a just monumentally stupid idea. And then him throwing Geralt's only rule of "nobody dies" to the wind literally the first second something unexpected happens cemented the fact for me that he wasn't going to get out of this alive if the game gave me even the tiniest possibility.
I still sided against Horst in the final decision 'cause he was a controntational dick from second zero, but i almost breathed a sigh of relief when the Stranger then said "Uh, actually..."

For the first and only time in the game, i actually agreed with Olgierd in that the eventual consequences don't even matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the auction house becomes a branch for Vivaldi's bank, but not one you can ever use or enter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

ultimately, blood & wine is the only part of the games that actually felt like a sequel to the books

Really? the part of the game where you get into an insult fight with a guy named Guybrush is the one that feels most faithful to the books

or the part where you go on an extended Asterix & Obelix chase

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played a hundred plus hours on Witcher 3 on switch and it was fine (fair warning tho, about 10 of those hours were spent staring at loading screens, so don't pick a difficulty where you'd expect to die a lot)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can use some mods if you have the ability to mod your switch, just nothing that uses mod scripting or changing textures.
Which admittedly cuts out quite a large amount of mods. but i used the weight limit mod on my switch playthrough to great effect, for example.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So i'm trying to get into the books, but i'm not sure where to start. After a cursory read-up on wikipedia and seeing how Sapkowski distanced himself from any adaptations of his books, both movies and the games, claiming that the games only negatively influenced his work and that the games did nothing to promote his books outside of Poland, HE instead made the games popular as a famous author - i'm almost tempted not to. But gently caress it, i need my Witcher fix.

I'm also intending to pass these books around my family members as i'm done with them, cause that's how we usually roll. But there seems to be several "arcing" books and some short story collections and they wildly jump around timeline-wise... Where do i start? How do i continue? Imagine i know nothing about the games (or the series) and tell me what to read in which order.

Since i'm neither English nor Polish and have to look up or extrapolate the names of my local version of these books, it would be great if you added a Polish release date or name to these books if you recommend them, makes it easier to look up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still have the Witcher 1 EE Collector's Edition + Artbook lying around the house somewhere, but i had never heard of the books. Hell, i still haven't, to be honest, and i'm right in the middle of Europe (Germany).

It might not have helped that there's another book series here about someone called a witcher / Hexer (it's not a special word in german, Hexe = witch, so Hexer = witcher, that's German, baby) which i have read. Which is ALSO a big fantasy series, where the original short stories started publication in 1985, and which is from one of the biggest German fantasy authors who has sold something like 43 million books, according to wikipedia. :v:

It's not about the high fantasy kind of witcher though, more like the Salem witch kind of witcher. But still, it might have kind of muddied the water a little bit.

Anyways, thanks for the list! The book titles are relatively faithful direct translations as far as i can tell, so it's easy to pick them out. I'm hoping to jump into them soon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I sorta get that. The first time i played Divinity 2 and came across just some random-rear end NPC peasant woman who spoke in a thick bavarian accent, i thought "okay, what is this."
This has got to be for comedy, right? Except the dialogue wasn't particularly funny, aside from the way all dialogue in the Divinity games tries to be funny because the games don't take themselves too seriously.
So this has got to be some kind of important NPC, right? She stands out. Went through all the dialogue, double and triple checked the area around, and found nothing. No.

As far as i can tell, it was just a run-of-the-mill two-bit NPC for set-dressing and some area info near a small dock by a river, with no further importance, that busts out bavarian when everyone else is speaking High German.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
poo poo in my boots

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Checked out some book sites and lmao that they're marketing the books like this:

"The books to accompany the Netflix series!"
Maybe Sapkowski was right. And no, that's not some new re-licensing or re-translation, dtv was the same publishing house that did the first German translation of this book (The Last Wish) in 2007.

Which is, coincidentally, the same year that The Witcher 1 game came out :thunk: Almost 15 years after the Polish original :thunk:
Hmm, maybe Sapkowski was wrong after all

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also went with Triss because my introduction to the Witcher was the first game, where her only real competition was Shani (who is awesome but not a good companion for the witcher life). Well, also she had my back when it counted and her writing wasn't doormat, but not too on your back at all times.
Even if people say she exploited Geralt's amnesia to steal him from under Yen's nose, as someone in functionally the same situation as Geralt (no prior knowledge of his relation with Yennefer), i can firmly say it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the effect of her words and deeds when Yen wasn't there to back Geralt up.

So my first real interaction with Yennefer was in Witcher 3 (and the Netflix series i guess). I met her briefly in Witcher 2, but i actually never finished that game... I got to like, act 2 where Triss (or Yen?) gets abducted or something and dropped it because i lost interest. Which is funny, because i played through Witcher 1 at least 3 times. :haw:
And while Yennefer never had a real chance in my mind, even though i can see why people (and even Geralt) might like her more confrontational and wild style, I can't deny that reaching the point in the quest atop that mountainous shipwreck and saying "No, the desire is gone. I don't love you. I guess it was all just fake after all." after Yen, for maybe the first time ever, admitted real feelings to herself was absolutely brutal.

edit: seriously, that was some Planescape: Torment kind of poo poo in making me feel bad for video game people

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah if you wanted a redhead Shani is the obvious choice

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

Geralt is awfully brave to constantly sleep with powerful sorceresses who can just teleport his balls to another continent if he's caught cheating.

Well, he got good at swimming

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played through Witcher 1 three times (i end up replaying it every 4-5 years) and only got through Witcher 2 like, half-way*. It was that bad.

To be fair, i also never finished Witcher 3 but my Switch tells me i sunk 180 hours into it before my vacation ran out and i had to get back to work.

* I don't know, it's hard to judge if you don't know how long the game is. I sorta remember a tedious section carrying Triss like a sack of potatoes over my shoulder through a forest, protecting her from archers or something, as the last thing i did before i never returned to the game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hamhandler posted:

I think Ciri is too powerful and too destined to be a good protagonist of games like these. She's the most important character in history, who brought people back from death(?) and beats the apocalypse single-handedly by virtue of having a good dad, can go anywhere and do anything. IMO she'd work much better as a mysterious plot device, not walking around and making various poo poo-covered peasants lives less miserable by hitting their problems with swords.

i mean even making various peasant's lives less miserable she's still barely made a dent in overall karma after killing like hundreds of thousands of them via plague

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Update still isn't live for the switch version, the long wait continues

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until the patch finally hits the Switch and i can dive back into the game, and discover which mods will be broken

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

Nilfgaard is slightly better than Northern Realms, they're fairly similar. You can win all the Gwent matches with either NR or Nilf without too much difficulty. Worth pointing out that there are some important Nilf cards that require rescuing a dude in the middle of nowhere Velen.

The Monster and Scoia'tel decks are playing at a disadvantage. They're strictly worse because they don't have the spies and healers of Nilf or NR. Probably still doable though.

edit: and of course Skellige is new for the Blood and Wine expansion and you're also forced to play it for a bit. I'd say it's a bit in between Nilf/NR (best) and Monster/Scoia'tel (playing at a clear disadvantage but still winnable). Skellige has a very specific gimmick and if you pull it off you can win, but it's still not as good as Nilf or NR.

I had close to 0 interest in Gwent and actively avoided it for most of the game (still getting as many cards as are available outside of playing tho, because completion) because i didn't get the hang of it and felt like i had to invest too much time learing cards and developing strategy or tactics when i just wanted to play the actual main game.

Until i tried a monster deck on a whim and discovered you only needs numbers and it's easy mode and allows you to absolutely steamroll pretty much everything with minimal thought.

So i set up a monster deck and then spent the next 15 hours just visiting all the places and all the gwent players i skipped in the previous 60 hours and just obliterating them by rolling my face over my controller

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there actually some kind of greenhouse quest near kaer morhen

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just let us have some adventures in the "A Ciri in King Arthur's Court" time line. She went back there and introduced some witchering to that world because. Idk some monsters slipped through the dimensional cracks or a mini-confluence spawned by her dimension hopping brought mutations into the world or w/e and now she feels responsible for fighting the menace.

You're one of the disciples

Bam, familiar witcher framework, fun new world that's also familiar and has a lot of established lore to play around with. Also a lot of political machinations and like, magic and witches abound

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I read the books and the context doesn't make their relationship any less terrible

the opposite, now that i think about it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Koorisch posted:

These aren't my screenshots but this is how it looks like.

This only started after I updated into the Next-gen version, never had any problem like this *ever* in the old version.

Sounds more like a Last-gen version to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
IIRC, DLAA is just DLSS with the render scale at 100%, so it doesn't downscale before applying deep learning tech.

Honestly, if you have some performance to spare, i'd use nvidia's DSR + DL.
DSR is dynamic super resolution, where you can render the image in, let's say, 4K before downsampling it to 1080p on your monitor. Sort of like the old SSAA methods of old. Gets rid of jaggies very well, is prohibitively expensive.

But that's where the DL part (like in DLSS) comes in. The uprezzed render is upscaled with the DLSS tech before being downsampled to your output resolution, getting you (as nVidia claims) DSR 4x quality (3840*2160) visually while only having to actually render DSR-DL 2.25x (2880*1620) on your 1080p monitor. Basically DLSS but applied in the opposite way.

You can enable it in the nVidia control panel 3D settings under DSR factors, where you have to tick the resolutions you want to enable. You should only enable the DL options (1.78x and 2.25x), and after that they will show up as rendering resolutions in-game.
So you select 2880*1620 (for DSR-DL x2.25) in-game on your 1080p monitor and enjoy 4K quality downsampled to your output.

I use it a lot in low-impact games like Deep Rock Galactic or older less demanding games, where all built-in aliasing options just don't perform well. It looks really good.