Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the succubi in the game absolutely do not deserve to die

but can you really live with the shame of having that Succubus potion, sitting in your inventory screen unmixed, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

itry posted:

:hmmyes:

Dude has the temerity to doppel Geralt and attack him. Also he somehow uses bubble Quen, even if you never unlocked it. It's a coin toss if he dies or not.

Edit: If he was just trying to fistfight you then that would be fine. But the swords don't even make sense.

To be honest, a doppel that is willing to use lethal force in that situation is probably too dangerous to let live. Like imagine how dangerous doppels would be if they weren't overwhelming the nicest person in the room at all times.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I got the armor enchantment that casts a yrden glyph any time a yrden trap zaps an enemy and so far it is surprisingly effective with sustained glyphs.

I don't think I've ever actually bothered with those enchantments, are any actually worth the investment? Especially for a Combat/Sign build

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Oh, that lets you use Griffin School Techniques even on heavy/light armor? That's interesting, I was pretty dead set on using Griffin or Wolf gear but that might be fun to try.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Book Triss and Game Triss (especially Witcher 1 Triss) are almost two entirely different characters. Heard a story it was because Sapkowski was being a dick to work with at the start, and kept insisting CDPR's writers made it clear the games weren't really canon to the books, so they felt pressure to change a bunch of things. That also might be why Yenn was just talked about in vague reference in the first game as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

My least favourite part of W3 by a lot is walking around with Batman mode on too long, and from what I’ve seen about HZD is that is like half the game.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Spergatory posted:

That answers my question. I always thought of that whole map as Velen, and of Novigrad as just the city part. Where specifically did the world stop?

Isn’t that part of the map actually a bit of Redania? That’s why you run into remnants of those Rose Knights as bandits and poo poo.
Actually now that I think about it, Oxenfurt and everything past that is Redania isn’t it?

Also, for that one other question, I think you go from level 15 enemies to like level 35 once you go a bit east of that meadery run by the family of halflings so probably around there

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think the only confusing part is how much land does novigrad also own in it's immediate vicinity. Does the free city only exist within the actual walls, or is a chunk of the countryside considered novigrad territory.

I know Farcorners is still part of Novigrad, and I'm pretty sure that's not just the ghetto outside the walls but the entire landmass between Novigrad proper and Northern Velen. Just not really sure how far East that territory extends.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I had completely forgotten about that Gwent Tournament in Blood and Wine that makes you play with a Skellige deck, which really puts in perspective how much worse that (and every other faction) is compared to Northern Realms or Nilfgaard.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I don't know if I'm missing something or what but I can do the apply 3 oils at once thing now, but can't change any of those three once applied. What the heck? I wonder if this is connected with using the Corvo Bianco alchemy lab.

I know that's tied to the Fixative Ability now, did you apply them and then reset abilities or something?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

if anyone's still invested in this saga i'd like to mention that i've also apparently been selling to the wrong merchants in toussaint, too. found a guy who hates northmen in a rando village i liberated from bandits that pays probably literally double what the guy i was selling to in toussaint was paying, who i was only selling to because "wow this guys pays so much compared to everyone in novigrad/skellige"

A really big thing is to look out for stuff that can be sold or dissembled without worry. A lot of stuff is only used for 1, maybe 2 things, and even more isn't used for anything, besides maybe turned into Monster Parts. Like you can find Orichalcum ignots/plates in some Blood and Wine chests, and I think that stuff is only good for being turned back into Ore (which is a very important resource for crafting Grandmaster Stuff).
Also some of the heavy armor that drops in Blood and Wine can be dissembled into that ore as well.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 14, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Spergatory posted:

"Hey, how come you can cross oceans when I call but then you get stuck on the tiniest fence?"

"Look, man, everybody has their limits, okay?"

I love the look on Geralt's face at the end of the quest when the spell is working off. He is just, so disappointed that he can't do that anymore.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

HelixFox posted:

I always assumed it was supposed to be a different Roach in Skellige that Geralt buys off screen. There's very obviously no horse in that first trip across the ocean.

actually I think the next-gen patch set it up so Roach automatically spawns after the shipwreck, which makes me think they wanted to show that Geralt brought Roach along for the ride and survived the crash.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

I did this on my current run for the first time, and it honestly plays pretty well. All parties involved in the moment come across as shady enough that Geralt walking away and leaving them to their bullshit felt right.

Eh, Geralt is never one to abandon a friend, which Roche and Ves will definitely be if you went their route in Witcher 2.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is the Devil's Pit quest new with the ng update? I've been there before in multiple playthroughs but I swear there's never been a quest there before.

Or is it cut content? It just occurred to me I do have a big cut content mod installed.

E: Definitely new content. Lots of polish and stuff found nowhere else in the game.

If I remember right, Devil's Pit was supposed to have a quest centred around a bunch of Catriona plague victims, but it got cut so nothing ever happened there. They used it in the 4.0 update for the new quest.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it's certainly bold of the game to tell this story of an awful, awful man who did a deal with the devil to do a lot of awful things, and at no point really bother to make him sympathetic, and then just expect players to sympathize with Olgierd out of blind opposition to the devil.

I didn't like Olgierd, resented being locked into the quest before I could get on with the next part of the game, and the way to oppose O'Dimm didn't sound like it'd be solving any problems other than Olgierd facing consequences for his actions. Also he had such a nice little song! And at the end of the day, Gerault tends to be a professional man of contracts anyways. If Olgierd came to Gerault for help instead of trying to pull another murderprank, it'd be different.

I guess Witcher 3 is generally really interesting from how it throws you into a lot of situations where you have choices with no clear answer as to what's best. It's not often they'll throw you a choice as cut and dried as killing Whoreson Junior in his murderhouse.

I've never really seen that as Geralt trying to save Olgierd, but more as him taking a chance to banish whatever the gently caress O'Dimm is for good. Saving Olgierd and getting a couple of good swords out of it is a nice side bonus, but the chance to banish him from Geralt's world was the real prize.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's a bit confusing but my understanding is (Hearts of Stone megaspoilers based on the quest log entries partly):

I think there are two sets of three wishes: Olgierd gets three wishes from Gaunter directly, then Gaunter gets Olgierd's soul only after a proxy (Geralt) fulfills three wishes/tasks for Olgierd.

Olgierd summons Gaunter and makes a deal: Gaunter gets Olgierd's soul and in exchange Olgierd has his wealth and reputation restored and gets to "live like there is no tomorrow." It's not really clear what exactly Olgierd's original wishes were but he gets his wealth back, marries Iris, and gets the "heart of stone" immortality from his "live like no tomorrow" wish. The heart of stone is Gaunter's little, uh, prank: Olgierd can't die and he increasingly loses interest in things that once gave him pleasure, including his wife Iris and abandons her. He seeks ever more-increasing thrills and danger.

The second set of three wishes is kind of confusing, yeah. But I guess it works narratively to give Geralt stuff to do exploring Olgierd's story. It also sets the terms for ending the contract with Gaunter: Olgierd gets three wishes and can "benefit" from them for an amount of time until the contract is ended by a proxy fulfilling three wishes. Olgierd probably thought he was being clever by negotiating this contract but lol you're making a deal with the literal Devil, he's going to get you eventually!

Remember that Gaunter is in it for the game: all he cares about is loving with mortals, seeing them suffer and get owned by twisting their contracts.

I think Gaunter grants three wishes in exchange for a soul. Olgierd got the first set from sacrificing his Brother, and I'd assume the second set Gaunter made it clear he would only accept Olgierd's soul for it, but only when all three wishes are fulfilled. Also I don't know if using a Proxy was mandatory, I'm pretty sure Gaunter just Geralt to do it because he thought it was funnier that way.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

MikeC posted:

Not just his life but his soul. It seems like O'Dimm, despite being described as "evil incarnate" isn't much worse than some of the lovely people you come across in this game. He seemingly targets only rich arseholes and doesn't take souls without a contract. There is some indiscriminatel killing but it doesn't seem malicious, just a general callousness for human life which is not really different from the way we might eliminate people pests like rodents.

The only "innocent" dude is the professor who took Olgired's coin for research but we don't get the whole scoop on what happens. So really the choice for Geralt is whether he risks potential eternal damnation for a guy who was kind of already a poo poo bag in life but turned out even worse after getting cursed.

Granted Geralt has no way of knowing if O'Dimm will will release him upon the collection of the debt but it there is no evidence of malfeasance on O'Dimm's behalf in his dealings with Geralt and so long as you don't enter some silly contract with him and ensure you don't annoy him, it seems like he is fairly benign to the average guy on the street.

I mean he shoved a spoon into that guys eye/brain because he was annoying him

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Actually it’s about picking a fight with a creepy guy with a shovel

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

MikeC posted:

"I am no cheat. I give folks what they want, nothing more. That they oft desire unworthy things - that is entirely the fault of their rotten natures".

If he is true to his word, wouldn’t that mean Geralt does actually banish him forever then?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Did the Legendary Witcher sets you get in NG+ always have the Grandmaster Set bonuses, or was that a patch 4.0 change?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

does wearing them actually count towards/apply the set bonus? all levels of the witcher sets in the original game listed the set bonuses, but it's only once they're actually upgraded to grandmaster that they count. as far as i'm aware when you reset a grandmaster set from a first run into a legendary non-grandmaster set in new game plus you lost the set bonuses, until you upgrade them to legendary grandmaster sets once again

I am wearing the Legendary Griffin Set in Velen (the base one) and I definitely have all the set bonuses active. I know it used to be you had to wait until Legendary Grandmaster to get them again but I'm using the base one at level 71 (I used console commands to get to level 60 before starting NG+, so the LGM sets would be 100), maybe it was part of that combat mod they kind of wove into the base game with 4.0?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

ATTENTION: After Patch 4.01, The Armorer in Novigrad now says "Top Notch Swords!" again, and even has two Relic versions of the lovely starter swords for sale as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, it seems like they tweaked the damage scaling for the top level sign skills because you can basically pop a yrden trap and then hide and watch everyone keel over (or stand in the yrden zones and just endlessly spray fire all over the place)

Shockwave now does max HP % damage, what that % is scales off your Aaard/Sign intensity. With even a modest sign build you can get it to 10%, meaning casting it will do 5-6000+ on bosses/minibosses.
Casting it twice was enough to knock the final BaW boss into his second phase on Death March lol.
Although note that the % damage is based on their current HP, meaning the lower their HP is the less and less it will do. It's still drat silly to watch it deal 5000 damage to an elemental or troll or something.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

[Glass Him]

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

On the whole I like HoS, but I can't ignore the fact that half of it is spent at a digital wedding and the other half is doing a bad parody of Ocean's Eleven.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

so many people don't seem to know what this means

what did you *think* it meant?

more or less this for a lot of people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKJqdq4eX4

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I want to be a cat Witcher next

aren't those the crazy assholes that just sometimes lose it and slaughter an entire village

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Hmm. It seems like bleed doesn't apply to drowners/ghouls, which is strange.

Now that I'm in NG+, I'm finding random trash swords in cabinets that out damage my current grandmaster swords. How far can bleed carry me? Is it justification enough to keep using the 6/6 GM Wolven set just for the bleed bonus it confers?

you are probably gonna want to switch swords pretty quick yeah. Keep Grandmaster armor on though, because armor doesn't scale that much but weapon damage sure does.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Touissaint is fantasy Switzerland of course they're going to have a mishmash of accents.

I always thought it was fantasy France, which is why they have such a hard on for wine and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Cool, I hope someone makes a good troll related quest filled with political intrigue. Like the trolls are trying to rig the stock market and Geralt is caught in the middle.

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank