Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bought this game on sale (complete edition, 25$) and I'm in the first are and it already has me enamored. This is the first time in a long time I've actually wanted to go through and uncover all the question marks on a map, and I'm only in the first area of the game.

I do have one quick question, mostly about the expansion content.

How do those work? Do I go into them when I finish the game? The game was unclear when I started, other than saying I can play them standalone if I really wanted to. Also if there is something I should know before getting in deep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mostly mean how do you access them. Is it like a standalone thing or a new place I go in game. If this question becomes obvious while playing the game, just let me know that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I'm in Velen and have a general question about the main quest structure. When I got the two leads, the game kind of implies that it might be an either or (Bloody Baron OR witch in the woods). I've started and done parts of both but the game still hasn't been clear if I need to do both or not.

So I guess my question is, are there either or situations in the main quest (I know there are side quest either-ors, it seems there are multiple ways to be bridge passes in the game for example) and does the game spell these situations out clearly?

I'm really enjoying the game and characters so far, my only complaint is that the world seems almost too big, it's a bit overwhelming. Also trying to fastravel can be super annoying sometimes. For example I got dumped out of a cave after a quest near nowhere I had a signpost. So, I horse on over to the nearest town. Filled with Ghouls way too high a level. Ok, next town. No signpost... ok, next town. Wraiths way too high for me and I die.

It was a moment of extreme frustration. All I wanted to do was get back to a town to fix my armor. :smith:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I really like how Geralt's plan for the botchling is basically "I dunno I heard about this thing one time maybe that will work"

e: like he's just a dude who has heard some stuff and is basically superman and people just pay him to shovel their poo poo, this game owns.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I didn't want to murder you, lady I hosed. I just wanted those papers :smith:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

why does everyone do this lol

"gimme those papers" didn't seem like a thing that would end with me literally murdering her

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

lol, like if you don't successfully send Kiera off to Kaer Morhen, you have made some terrible Geralt-life decisions.

I'm basically playing Geralt as some kind of monster killing autist/sevant.

So yeah, I'm probably making a ton of "wrong" choices

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does anyone in the game not suck?

I'm like level 13 and just got to Novigrad and I don't think I have come across one character who is not a deplorable rear end in a top hat.
Maybe Ciri and the Bloody Baron's daughter are ok.

I'm pretty ok with that too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

The onieromancer chick is cool. Keira is cool. The halfling kid or whatever Johnny is cool. Dandelion's fashion-forward elf friend is cool. The medieval pop singer is cool. Geralt's bromance with Djikstra is cool.

Also I♥Triss.

Kiera was lame af and I straight merced her rear end

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I've played this game for maybe like 40-50 hours now and just am heading off to Skellige (Though I have a bunch of side quests to clean up before I do) and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the trickle of story from the main quest.

In those 50 hours I've:

Learned Nothing about the Wild Hunt
Found out Ciri needs to break a curse
Still don't know where Ciri is at all

And its a little frustrating. I almost wish that the game were a bit more focused. Also the fact that the end of act 2 (Novigrad has to be act 2, right?) had no dramatic action sequence and instead was a game of Gwent and tracking a dude to a house.

But whatever, I have an assassination to plan so this game is still pretty awesome. The main quest just seems paced really poorly.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You are 2/3 way through Act 1

lmao what

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A focused, main story only playthrough is like 50 hours or so, but you can easily hit 100+ hours, and doing everything is like 160. It's a big rear end game. You seem to be playing pretty completionist if you hit 50 before ending novigrad.

I think I have not done 1 side quest so far and it was the Peller one.

Also a dont play Gwent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe he doesn't know how to fast travel!

A coworker found out how to fast travel from anywhere in RDR several years later and wasn't very happy about the news.

You use the signs or a boat, I'm not a big dumb dummy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I structured that sentence poorly.

I have not done 1 sidequest so far, as in there is only one sidequest I haven't done.

Like I said, it was the peller one because I forgot about it and then it was 10 levels below me.

e: Also I haven't been picking up broken religious statues because who the gently caress cares about that dumb poo poo.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Pellar quest is real cool and has its own music which is great. I recommend you do it despite the level disparity.

god damnit, ok.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

To be honest, the reason why I've done so much side content is that the main quest has been so uninteresting.

After the Bloody Baron stuff is resolved the quality takes a big dip imo. It's good to hear that Skellige is cool though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'll grant you Novigrad drags a fuckload. They could have pulled quite a bit out of that.

Yeah, there highs of Novigrad were pretty high. Burning down the witch hunter HQ and Geralt starring in a play were pretty awesome. All of the Whoreson Junior stuff just blends together though,

Also I'm personally extremely tired of the "mages are a persecuted class of people" trope that seems to be in every fantasy game ever these days. Though that might just be because of Dragon Age fatigue.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The game's movement is just super genky. Geralt dies when jumping down a 12 foot cliff.

Also I legit got stuck in a puddle outside of novigrad for 20 minutes.

Eopia posted:

I'm sorry that you have the wrong opinion on Geralt's love life.

If you didn't kiss Triss and then awkwardly pretend that nothing happened like a weird Autist then you are doing it wrong.

Also I made it an active objective to gently caress every whore in Novigrad because that's the kind of guy I think Geralt is. My only regret is not being able to gently caress that one succubus.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eopia posted:

I didn't because I didn't want to kiss someone who took advantage of memory loss to steal their best friend's man.

Wait, Triss and Yen are friends?

That makes this way more interesting lmao.

note: This is my first Witcher game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, what you learn over the first 2 games as you reaver your memories is that while Triss did help geralt, she manipulated him in order to get with him. He remembered loving a sorceress, and she is all "I'm a sorceress..." Yen is understandably pissed since she and geralt are both near 100 years old and have decades of history.

Holy gently caress, that certainly changes the way I look at Triss...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fuzz posted:

and will gently caress any woman (literally any) that crosses

This checks out with how I play The Witcher

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Witcher's literally exist to take advantage of people who are suffering for their own financial gain so maybe Geralt kind of deserves it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Uhhh, this is a Bad Take

I mean, what else are they doing? He is a super powered monster hunting sevant who literally refuses to help people who are literally dying without being payed.

Like I understand it is way, way more complicated than that, but my point is that Geralt is pretty lovely to people too sometimes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

I mean, I helped that dude in the middle of the griffon attack in the first few minutes of the game without receiving a cent.

I did :evil:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Add me to the group of people that think Gwent is kind of dumb. I honestly don't think it's an interesting game at all, and I like card games a bunch.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Geralt talking to Rock Trolls like he is Olivia Benson talking to a child on SVU is the best part of this game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yo people who play this game, is it worth it to go after any of the ? In the middle of the Ocean in Skellige because gently caress that poo poo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

skellige is interesting just the boating mechanic in the game kind of blows.

Also there were really only 3 main story quests on Skellige? That seems bizarre when the Valen and Novigrad ones had roughly 5,000 each.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A lot of Skellige's main quest is optional, the whole kingmaking thing, Yen's sidequest and fighting Morkvarg are all basically part of the Skellige's main quest. Still probably shorter than the others, but it's not only 3 quests.

I mean, I went to Skellige, decided to do some main quests as I collected side stuff, did 3 and now it's sending me back to valen.0

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Holy poo poo the Drunk Witcher party was the best thing ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nycticeius posted:

But time also slows down when you aim your crossbow at the targets.

Only if you take the perk.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Man the pacing of this game is kind of bizarre. I spend a million hours trudging through a swap, a lovely city and, for a significant less amount of time, some vaguely nordic islands and then the game streamlines its way into a million story missions that go by super fast and I gained a billion levels and what even happened.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I also think part of the problem is the way the game structures itself early. You have White Orchard as a tutorial area, and it's closed off and it's own thing and not that big. That teaches the player that it is ok to stay in one place and do everything and find all the fun secrets and what have you get to Velen and it's loving huge. (I'd actually argue it's actually too big, but that's a different issue) and because I just played White Orchard I hang out and try to find all the fun secrets and what have you.

The games main quest supports this, it takes you everywhere in the beginning of the game, all over Valen. You go all over the place. That's great, but it forces the player to explore, find sidequests, get distracted, which screws with their pacing.

Then you get to Skellige, kaer Moren, Isle of Mist, ect and those are more contained maps with less to find and do. The quests get more streamlined. They go by faster and you have less of a reason to explore.

The game is incredibly front loaded in the first act with side content, which I think is a pretty big (which is to say it makes this game a 9/10 in my eyes, instead of a 10/10) because I'm so far in and I feel like there is so little mystery left in the world to find, but I have a slew of side quests and a few more main quests to do.

I honestly think this comes from how they designed their maps. There is a huge disconnect between Velen and, by virtue of it being one map, Novigrad, and the rest of the maps in the game. It seems like the made Valen with the idea the the entire game needed to take place there and realized their story required more maps and then went from there. In my opinion, if Velen was broken up into 3/4 smaller maps. (Baron land, Crookback bog, Novigrad, ect) it would do wonder for the pace of the game because it would spread out story content, side content, and exploration in more bite sized chunks.

I do have to wonder if there was some disconnect in the initial design phase of the game, and what eventually got produced because it's a weird missmatch between a totally open world game and something more akin to DA:I.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

To be completely fair the game does not explain in any way shape or form that the conversation response that Geralt chooses with in any way lead to you killing Kiera. it really is the moment where I was most frustrated with the game.

It's fallout 4 level of bad conversation choices.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

Does it ever stop raining after that one scene in Skellige with the mask?

It's been 90% rain since then in every location; Skellige, Velen, Kaer Morhen, Novigrad... It's so dull and sodden I can't get a good look at my armour damnit.

Did you finish the quest? It literally stopped raining right after it for me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What is going on in the south east of valen? The game hasn't even sent me anywhere near it yet and I've played for a billion hours.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This game would be way better if there was a scene where Triss and Yen tried to beat the piss out of one another.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Finally cleared up most of the Witcher contracts I had that were under my level and am back to Skellige for what I assume is the beginning of the real end (sunstone stuff)

Some thoughts:

Skellige's Most Wanted was a super interesting idea but when it turned into Gerelt yelling "LOOK AT THESE OK THINGS I DID GUYS" I was pretty underwhelmed.

A little disappointed by the outcome and resolution to Reason of State everything just seemed way too easy for a plot of that magnitude and the 'twist' at the end left me pretty underwhelmed. Not even sure why there was an option for player choice there because of how one sided it seems.

The elder in that one village who is desperate to want to believe that his forktail problem was really a dragon was pretty funny.

All in all It's crazy how much game I'm getting out of this game and there are like a bunch of things I'm not even touching (Gwent, fistfighting, Races) I haven't even touched any DLC yet and I still feel like there is a billion things to do.

I will say I think the combat is finally worn thin for me. It's just not robust enough to be fun. It completely broke when I had to fight off a billion dudes while breaking that lady out of jail.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

:shrug: playing a cardgame with a controller is not really something I want to spend my time doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Watching Ciri and Geralt wreck poo poo in that lab was more fun than it should have been