Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've decided to finally tackle the Witcher games, since I bought all three on GOG, but they've just been collecting virtual dust.

I installed Witcher 1, picked Medium skill, and I've made it through the prologue, which I think is about how far I made it last time I played in 2011 or so. I remember I helped a dwarf who was getting harassed by bandits, and then I ran around town a bit, but I wasn't sure what to do, and I just lost interest.

I took a look at the Before I Play page for some guidance. However, I was wondering if there were any fan patches or mods that I should install before progressing any further. I did a search for mods and found a PC Gamer article that lists a couple of critical gameplay fixes: one was for a plant giving you the wrong material, another was for restoring clues to a quest that I guess don't show up?

As far as technical issues go, I had a crash during the prologue section, but I was able to get back where I was quickly from skipping cutscenes. Still it prompted me to start saving frequently. The biggest issue I've had is that the physics are glitched, so things like Triss' or the hooks the other witchers carry just spasm wildly, but that doesn't seem to affect gameplay so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

jaete posted:

Back when I played Witcher 1 I had the director's cut edition (or whatever it was called), that worked fine technically, didn't need any mods. Was years ago though.

(The first game imo is the most skippable though when it comes to how important the plot is to the rest of the series; basically the first 5 minutes & the last 5 minutes are "good to know" and the rest can be skipped, from a purely story perspective)

The version I have on GOG is the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut, but I downloaded the two mods I mentioned just as a precaution.

I've been told before that Witcher 1 can be skipped, but I wanted to go through it to get the full experience of importing the save into Witcher 2 and then again with Witcher 3. There's also just having the satisfaction of striking it out of my backlog. I'm not ruling the idea out completely, though.

Nobody Interesting posted:

I mostly used texture mods. There's a bunch on Nexus by someone called Hiuuz that brings in Witcher 3-ish looks to the relevant characters.

For gameplay I used:

Han Gives Han NOT BErbercane - Han is bugged and can't be harvested
Missing Kalkstein and Leuvaarden Clues Fix - A quest line is missing the involvement of these two characters
Rise of the White Wolf - A bit overboard in some places, but otherwise makes the UI more bearable
Faster Movement Mod - There is a LOT of back and forth in this game and the default movement speed kills me
Project Mersey - Just because I had played it before, this was a good restoration mod to have that mostly fixes lore / dialogue things

For other stuff just browse Nexus. Most of the top rated mods are worth using. Texture replacements are too subjective for me to start listing here.

Thanks. Downloaded Faster Movement because fetching the potion materials in the prologue was a little tedious, so I think that'll help a lot. I'll give Meresey and Rise of the White Wolf a look. The UI doesn't seem too bad, but then I haven't played enough of the game to say that for sure yet.

SirSamVimes posted:

The Witcher is worth playing if you have a high jank tolerance imo. If combat gets frustrating, just stack sign intensity and turn everything to ash with Igni.
Yeah, the Before I Play notes said that Aard and Igni were good sign investments, with Aard having a perk where you can stun the majority of enemies/bosses and get a one-hit kill on them.

Gaius Marius posted:

The most important thing to remember outside of the gameplay considerations is that characters neither resemble their novelistic counterpoints nor their subsequent appearances in the game series. Except Dandelion, man never changes.

I've not read any of the books so that won't be an issue.

I really don't know all that much about the Witcher, outside of handful of things I've gleaned from various discussions. I know what a witcher is, mind you (super-strong monster hunters mutated with magic and plants), and some various bits of trivia (ex. I read somewhere that in the books, Geralt dies from getting stabbed by a farmer with a pitchfork), but for the most part, I've steered clear of anything covering the series to avoid spoilers.