Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I think what made me realize just how crazy powerful Triss is is when you've taken her to Witch Hunter HQ and you have to just completely trust her to take care of herself. And she does, in an spectacular way.

That's one thing I love at the Battle of Kaer Morhen having read the books. Triss starts obliterating space elves left and right and then I remembered, well yeah, come to think of it she is a war hero after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah, in Witcher 4 you should play a newly trained, less mutated witcher on their very first contract...

...from the School of the Swallow :getin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

But where would they find the mutagens to create new Witchers? Vesemir only had a limited stock and he didn't know how to make more.

That's why I said less mutated, like they did with Ciri. Minor steroids (until Triss asks them what they hell they think they're doing again) but no actual trial of the grasses or cat eyes.

I dunno, after the conjunction of the spheres in the ending they have an excuse to up the monster population a bit. Might need a new breed of witcher...

Of course to make up for the lack of mutation they'd have to rely even more on cunning and dirty tricks :hellyeah:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The trickster god-spirit-thing that fucks you with your own wishes shows up in tons of real cultures, not just Stephen King (though he did provide the name) or the Christian devil.

Hell he also shows up in tons of Witcher world cultures.

Because :spooky:HE'S REAL:spooky:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

So, I just now realized Charles Dance voices Emhyr (took me a while due to the faux-foreign accent thing Nilfgaardians have). After Tywin Lannister, he is pretty much the best guy for hardass cold-as-stone magnificent genius bastard in a fantasy medieval setting. Great choice.

And he totally nails it in the Witcher ending, when he asks if Ciri ever said anything about him before going off to maybe die. He's totally incapable of turning off his political mind but in the end he genuinely wanted to know his daughter :(

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think my favorite thing about the animation in this game is the subtle stuff like the laugh lines and cheek folds actually moving when somebody is talking. I really noticed it on Triss and it makes a world of difference seeing skin move like its supposed to.

Ciri's fake sulky face when she loses rock paper scissors with Geralt is probably the most endearing animation ever made.

That and Geralt's ten-year-old smirk when Yen (I think) makes some totally oblivious innuendo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I remember an early interview where they said they had HEMA type people mocap the fighting for regular people, then did the Witchers' moves totally separately to make them seem that much more different.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I enjoyed the heist. The music helped!

Though it does seem that every major RPG these days includes ones (1) heist quest.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

Well, originally the influence could be seen in the amount of spices used. In medieval times Polish cuisine used a lot of pepper and nutmeg - way more than other European countries because of good contacts with Oriental merchants - prices of those spices were considerably lower for Polish people than for the rest of Europe. Oriental spices were also used for meat conservation during the winter.

Interestingly food was also taken over in the form of spoils of war - Polish people would eat food left by the fleeing enemy and having developed a taste for it - they'd try recreating the dishes in later times of peace. The use of raisins, meat preparation like drying, marinating, smoking, preparation of sweets and preserves, oversea fish dishes - all have been influenced by the Ottoman Empire, Tatars or merchants.

Hence the need for enterprising merchants such as Emhyr var Emreis. A trader. In spices. :hellyeah:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

fickle poofterist posted:

My annoyance with isle of the mysts was that I would like to have explored it. I bet there is a heap of cool loot I missed.

Actually that's my only real complaint about the game. I can practically guarantee that there wasn't any cool loot at all.

I'm not one of those people that enjoys searching every peasant hut, but it would have been nice to a few unique hidden gems like the :c00lbert: Emmentaler. Things that (most importantly) weren't easily outclassed by everything.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think they did a good job of having life be luridly unpleasant and luridly beautiful often at the same time. Especially in the Hearts of Stone areas, which really drive home that it's war that's hell, not farming.

(When you fight the Ofieris I actually though Geralt had ended up on an island somewhere because the water was so blue and the sand was so gold. Then turned the camera around and oh it's Novigrad)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Instead of the W2 dark mode in the enhanced edition, the W3 enhanced edition should have possessed-by-vlod mode. For the whole game.

"I mean... tis I! Geralt! A Witcherrrr"

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 6, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

HoS weirdly makes me want to go back and help a certain spy secure the future of Redania. I think just all the time you spend around Oxenfurt and the wedding town drums in that it's a cool rear end country worth saving.

Temeria was the original peasant misery simulator in TW1 and was clearly struggling not to fall back into the dark ages. Get hosed Roche :poland:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In the books he embarks on a similar invasion but with about 1000% more brutalised refugees designed to jam up the roads and demoralise the North.

Although one other quirk from the books - Nilfgaard has full institutional equality between genders, by order of Emhyr's father.

To be honest, Nilfgaard winning is probably best for the common good, I just think it's a shame to lose all the patchwork squabbling kingdoms :shobon:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Come to think of it, one of the political themes of the books is that the Northern Kingdoms just aren't viable any more. Just out of living memory, when they were warrior kings carving civilisation into the wilderness, Temeria etc made sense.

Now that they've won their place in the world, centralisation and ruthless efficiency are the order of the day, whether that's under the Lodge, the conclave (lodge precursor), Redania, or Nilfgaard. It makes perfect sense that none of the endings set things back the way they were, because that world had been dead for quite a while.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I’m using the extra skill slots mod when I get to NG+ because I’m only level 34 and I haven’t felt able to equip anything new for about six levels now.

also, I got to Through Time and Space and I’m a little confused about the world that’s been destroyed by the White Frost. Av’Allach says “this is Tedd Deireadh, The Final Age” so I’m guessing it’s not just one of the many worlds it’s taken. Is it Witcherland in the future? He also said something about this coming to all worlds eventually which kind of suggested it wasn’t. When he says this is where Geralt fought the projection of the King of the Wild Hunt – I don’t remember that area looking like that but whatever it was like ten years ago on the Neverwinter Nights engine – and Ciri did as well, why is that lighthouse basement so important to Eredin that he loves sending his astral projection to hang out and punk people there? Why do the Wild Hunt seem to have this sort of weird bond and ability to harness the White Frost when they’re just trying to escape it? These are usually the kind of My Worldbuilding questions I don’t give a poo poo about but I guess too many of them came to mind at once and now I feel a bit lost. Maybe some of them will be answered in the ending but as far as I can tell I’m just off to call up Eredin’s boat on Uber and stab him when he arrives.

This is just my nerd speculation but as I see it it's the Conjunction of the Spheres. Basically the worlds didn't just meet; they merged together. In the books Geralt is talking to a scholar-priestess who is growing plants that just won't survive under sunlight anymore. She basically explains that the sun has flat out changed since the Conjunction. It's also one reason the elves failed - their main food sources flat out went extinct in the new world.

My take is that the White Frost does the same. It doesn't just come barrelling out of outer space - it literally seeps into your world, and by the time it's done things have merged together and your world is Tedd Deireadh. That's why Avalach says something along the lines of 'this place is every world, sooner or later'.

As for the Hunt's connection to the Frost, I think that's one of the cooler things about them and I wish they'd gotten more time to develop it. They're scared shitless of it to the point where it rules them. The Hunt are so terrified of death that they wear skull masks (they actually customise their armour to the species they're fighting) and spin legends about themselves to inflict the same fear on other worlds. They're so terrified of the Frost that they bring it in their wake as their deadliest weapon and hope that as long as they keep conquering their turn will never come.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If I'd a bent over I'd a puked! :)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ciri has a Cat amulet from the books. Problem solved!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hi im gerlat of rivera

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My dumb excuse is that the Frost expresses itself magically in whatever way is most convenient. Might tilt your axis like Avallach says. Might change your sun like a priestess from the books believes. Might just sit in space blocking the sun.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

He is actually in the city of Rivia when he gets killed by a pitchfork though :ironicat:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I tend not to interpret it as the 'Ciri scrounged for contracts to survive and died at 29 from a drowner she didn't see' witcher life. More travelling the world(s) but still keeping busy because wherever you end up they alway need someone to take out the trash :black101:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Depends how you spread out your contracts and minor sidequests. I get the impression that they intended you to leave more till later (I didn't).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Last book spoiler Emhyr is a cool character. He personally brings an army to capture rescue Ciri, and forces Geralt and Yennefer to commit-suicide-or-I'll-do-it-for-you to tie off the loose ends. Then within like a minute of speaking to Ciri he decides he can't do it, turns his whole army around at the edge of the world and goes home.

He also as a weird one sided fatherly relationship with a girl he has impersonate Ciri in order to fabricate a claim to the Cintran throne. The books never make it clear whether he ever brings himself to kill her once she becomes a liability. Dude's a lonely Machiavellian shitlord :(

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Ciri endings I personally feel intentionally keeping Ciri away away from the emperor so she can go on to be a witcher like Geralt is the controlling and bad-dad choice, if you make the offer it's still her choice to go see him, and all it does is tell her being empress is an option. The decisions itself are always hers. The alternative is basically withholding information from her so she chooses what you think is better for her.

I dunno, when I did it I literally said 'let's see the emperor' then followed it up with 'but you know he's going to want something' and she decided not to go. I think it's really finely balanced to make either way a fair decision.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hey I'd love to bump into O'Dimm :allears:

The above statement in no way constitutes an expression of any want or desire. No verbal or written contract is implied and we explicitly reject any binding agreement etc etc

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: Double post
he's onto me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm so glad I turned all POIs off before even playing the game. Sounds like they turn pretty fun natural exploration into an awful Ubisoft slog from marker to marker...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Missed stuff is just fodder for the inevitable thousand playthroughs I'll do in the future though! :getin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The best thing about Triss is they actually wrote some solid character development to bring her from books-Triss to mage railroad leadership-Triss.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

The best thing about Triss is they wrote some solid character development to bring her from books-Triss to mage railroad leadership-Triss.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

And then the epilogue of the newest book happens. Geralt time-traveling 150 years after his supposed death.

loving hell, I guess at least we can say a wizard Ciri did it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Mad Rad the Sad Lad carries on later, no worries yet.

king raddy will die like his daddy :colbert:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I tho Olgeird and O'Dimm are actually very similar people, with the difference being one of magnitude.

"Let me tell you a story of a man, worse than most... who delights in the suffering of others" or something along those lines.

They're like twisted reflections of each other in a... mirror

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spoiler quarantine begins now!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Where's that whippersnapper wandered off to? He could be beleaguered, I wager!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I diiid, and it was the hardest choice in the game for me i think. I eventually rationalized that nobody in gaming has the balls to actually burn a baby and chucked it in there.

They should totally have gone with it though, in true Witcher style. Yes, Cerys is cunning and political. She kills the heir to Spikeroog on false pretences, leaving her clan to inherit it. Now that's queen material :smuggo:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How was Witcher 3 sexist though? I can see complaints about Witcher 1's sex cards, and even Witcher 2 had a few 'get sex as a reward' quests. What do people even have a problem with in this one though?

e:Like I'm legit mad that someone could get through the Bloody Baron's quest, an incredibly well written story about family violence, probably one of the top pieces of writing in the entire medium backed by really solid performances and then nitpick about being able to visit a brothel, or Keira's nipple being visible most of the time, or whatever the gently caress.

Yeah but man have you seen rise of the tomb raider it has like all the emotions in it!!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair, I will give them that the vast majority of female characters are pretty attractive, while within the men there's much more leeway to have guys like Dijkstra and Lambert in big roles. Even then I think it's stretching it to say it's offensively out of balance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I loved the quest but it was kind of crying out for a maybe she stopped loving you when you murdered her friend and fed his body to the dogs response