Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually prefer the combat in two by far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of the first game being made currently, the books are set before the first of the games and can only enhance your enjoyment of the games by filling in world building, the English translation does leave a lot to be desired though.

You should just play the second game because it's the best of the series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Yen and Triss were best friends since before Geralt had met either of them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Futuresight posted:

O'Dimm worked especially well because it was a choice in the end. Like, it was an easy choice to fight against pure evil, but I was still like damnit I wanted to give that other guy his just desserts but now I gotta save him. It made it feel like I was making a meaningful choice, even if I was always going to make the choice I did. In B&W there's really no good reason to go to the hidden one, the difference between the 2 outcomes at the ruin are based on some deus ex machina, and the result at the palace come from some dialog choices that don't feel like they earn the different endings.

gently caress that Olgeird sold his soul, he deserved everything he got.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

I finished this game and it owns, probably the best I've ever played, but I do have one question:

In the ending where Ciri lives, Geralt tells the emperor she's dead, and the two of them go off witchering, it kinda seems like Emhyr would, like, definitely hear about the first female witcher who looks suspiciously like Ciri and put two and two together. Is that explained later in HoS or BoW? It's not a big deal at all, I was just curious.

Also in the book canon it's known that Movran Vorhis becomes the next emperor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I mean, they could remake Witcher 3 in Witcher 1 quite easily though.

That's actually a really great idea. There's a ton of cool stuff in the first game that a vast majority of English fans have probably never seen. You give Vizima the Novigrad treatment and keep the scheduled npc's from the first game and you'd have one of the most lively RPG's ever. Bring back some of the cool stuff from the first game like the group style and drop all the lovely voice acting and terrible bland encounters and you'd have a great game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot tell me you didn't lament the loss of it the first time you that god forsaken entered the cave with all the Necrophages in it in Witcher 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

You mean the Nekker cave, right? Hardest part of the game right there. I also still remember the first time I went to investigate Kayran poo poo with Triss and about 3 Drowners showed up. I went very quickly from "LOL drowners" to "gently caress gently caress gently caress".
I love both combat systems though.

Yeah that cave I vivedly remember rolling around like crazy and tossing out my entire stock of bombs just trying to keep those things away from me.
The actual hardest part was when the game stole all my witcher powers so I could play as a ghost for the hardest twenty minutes in the game. I love the second game but gently caress that part.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

It's also great if you've been only speccing into Signs and don't even have proper parries.

Or if your'e like me and you went all in on alchemy so Geralt was a total wimp until you downed some potions and became a pale, eye bulging, vein popping monster who ripped and teared his way through enemies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont give a crap about Von Everec but poor Iris, there isnt really a happy ending for her doesnt It?

I really wanted her to tell me to end it but she didn't, and so forever she'll be stuck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you guys are being way to easy on Olgierd . He willingly sold his soul to the devil, he was not coerced in any way shape or form. He spent how long creating summoning circles and trying to summon otherworldly power. He's not an innocent who got tricked into this, he was seeking out the devil. Secondly just because he lacks a conscience doesn't mean he has to be an immoral person. There are many Sociopathic people in this world who lead completely normal lives. You say that he regrets what he's done and can change, but despite his words in no way do his actions show this. Before his contract he took pleasure in raping, stealing, and murdering. And then when you first meet him he's leading a gang of people who...rape, murder, and steal. You don't need a conscience to tell you that that isn't the kind of company you should keep if you're looking to atone for your sins. Indeed his first action in the game is to set you up to kill an innocent man that he has transformed, and who he likely knew had men coming to return him to his original form. His first action is to send you off to die, not the actions of someone who deserves forgiveness.

I had like three paragraphs here comparing Ole and Goethe's Faust here but typing it just made me want to reread it and it honestly doesn't change my actual conclusions it just solidify's my reasoning so it got cut.

The second point that I'll disagree with you guys on is that you're making the mistake of putting Geralt into the shoes of the Arbitrator of what's right and wrong. Geralt isn't damning Ole by not interceding, Ole already sold his soul for his wishes and those wishes were granted it follows that Gaunter would get his soul. A simple transaction. By interceding to save him you're saying that Geralt has the authority to determine who lives and who dies. From where does he derive this authority? He's not a judge, a king, or a representative of god. When Faust dies an entire heavenly host descends to carry his immortal parts to heaven. Clearly the same doesn't happen for Ole. The only thing stopping Gaunter from taking his soul is Geralt, and the only reason Geralt can stop him is that he's incredibly powerful. By saving Ole you're implicitly tying authority to power. And if you can claim that because Geralt is powerful he has a right to determine the fates of those around him, and be morally right in doing so then it follows that people more powerful then him also have that right. Was Henselt right to rape Ves and murder the blue stripes, was The emperor right to invade the north and cause untold suffering over and over merely to increase the size of his demesne, And was Radovid right to begin his pogroms against magic users and non humans? If the only way we can determine moral authority is by the level of power that the person making the judgements has then all of these horrible things that these people have done was in fact justifiable. Geralt is not making a statement by letting Gaunter take Ole's soul he's merely letting events lead to their natural conclusion. By interceding he's putting himself in a position of authority over life and death entirely based on his Martial abilities, and in fact implicitly endorsing a might makes right mentality, that's logical conclusion results in arbitrary judgment and widespread misery for the weakest and poorest of the world.

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The scene when Geralt, Gaunter, and Olgierd come together for the finale is an absolute mastercraft though.

e: ^^ dude all three of his wishes are for the benefit of others. That's what you are supposed to realise over the course of the expansion, Olgierd puts on a show of callousness but deep down he's wracked with guilt and remorse. Also the theme behind each wish is 'saving people presumed impossible to save', if you didn't get the hint by the finale then that's your loss.

Perhaps if he hadn't destroyed their lives and sold his soul he might deserve some sympathy. Wishing that you hadn't done something isn't the same as making amends Ole did nothing for any of those people and he continually brings more misery to the general populace.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a problem since 2 it's crazy they never fixed it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Man...wait until those people hear what's happening with The Golden Girls...

I also think it's hilarious people on :reddit:/twitter complaining about historical accuracy in a setting where people wear wooden eye-glasses and have interacted with far-future cultures. :shrug:

The first true corrective lense were created in 13th century Italy. It's very plausible for the witcher universe to have access to them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm surprised how many people have missed fairy tale land given how many times you're told not to go loving around with an ancient vampire.

I mean all of dead money was telling me to let go and not try and take all the gold in the vault. You drat well better believe I got all that poo poo out. Telling players not to do something is a surefire way to get them to do it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's fair, I was too exhausted by the end of Witcher three to play blood and wine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean it's way more trisses fault than his

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I find it hard to hate Philippa after her Triss Real Talk

Did you play Witcher 2?
She deserved far worse than she got

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know about Poland but during Brezhnev's era quite a few gay men were thrown in sanitarium's along with political dissidents and others who rocked the boat too much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I did it after finishing novogorod, velen, and skellige, but before the final series of quests and it worked fine narratively.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

anyway Olgierd said something about how there's nothing but a void after death, when I JUST spent 8 hours hanging out with the ghost of his brother

Maybe that's all there is for him since he was dumb enough to sell his soul to a devil.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So the rule has to be, 'any time someone plays a spy they get smashed in the face with a stick,' right? It'd be the best way to balance spies.

It's actually the same rule in the game but no one has enough guys to smash the hundred year old Witcher with the stick

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

Philippa Eilhart did nothing wrong :colbert:

I'm still mad I couldn't put a crossbow bolt through her head.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I read one of them. It was alright

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Witcher two has the best combat in the series. Much more focused on planning and positioning.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could read the entire first story collection instead of watching that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can say from experience the game plays like rear end with mouse and keyboard, those mini games for hacking and the like are nearly impossible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait until you see the scene where geralt rejects yennefer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Or neither! Sorry ladies, Geralt is married to the path.

When you witches were partying, I studied the blade. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the witcher sense. While you wasted your days casting glamours in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated my mutagens. And now that the world is freezing and the nilfgaardians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get used to bad inventories. Witcher three and apparently cyberpunk also have godawful ones.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No videogame has done inventory management as well as resident evil four. There was nothing like hearing that satisfying click as you rearranged all your grenades, eggs, and fish to fit in that sniper rifle.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Too bad the success of DE:HR didn’t help DE:MD.

It could've if square hadn't murdered it. Man they did that franchise dirty

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot take anything with you except your choices.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triss is geralts current lover actually

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a computer boardgame, no idea how it is, never played

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not an argument. Triss is obviously better

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taking a hammer to whatever cursed hardrive has that mod is the best improvement they could implement

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triss is obviously superior in every way. You will soon understand.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Imo the best way to achieve that outcome is to romance both and see what happens :laugh:.

I know a kid at work who actually did this, He was all mad and poo poo. I'm like what the gently caress did you think was gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I just thought Triss was hotter and went with my base, shallow lustful desires pretending to be bad rear end Witcher ladies man. I didn't put a lot of thought into it.

You followed your heart and should be commended

Also Triss hosed up big time but owns up to it and is willing to change as a person. She is also selfless enough to stay in a city undergoing a genocide to help people escape. Yennefer is a miserable person, who destroys sacred sites and tortures people for purely selfish reasons