Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone explain the map to me? It looks like it stretches from southern Redania down towards the edge of northwest Temeria, if the Witcher 2 map is anything to go by. I know that Wyzim/Vyzim/Vyzima is further south where the river breaks, but I'm trying to place areas like La Valette Castle or Gors Velen (from Witcher 2 and the books, respectively) Would they be further east or south than where this map stretches to?

Also, any sign of Yarpen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Utanayan is a true PC Gaming Master Race.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Art direction over fidelity. I'm also one of those scumbags who tweaks his settings to gain an acceptable tradeoff of quality for performance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plough the fuckin' Lilies, how much of the map is set in Temeria?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Way back in the thread somebody was asking about how lip sync works with other languages in this game. Well, I found a video comparing the Deutsch audio track to the English audio track and the lip syncing is actually really good. Also, German Geralt sounds like a smooth talker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_gkS-D5Pc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Letho show up only if you import a witcher 2 save, or is it part of the default game if you aren't importing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still months away from being able to play this game (blah blah, money troubles), but would you guys say it is more Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 tonally? Witcher 1 had that really downtrodden, melancholy feel to it, while Witcher 2 was more twisted fairy tale. Or does Witcher 3 forgo this and do its own thing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orv posted:

Good news!(?) it mixes both in various parts of the world and various parts of the main quest.

Sweet. Been reading the novels and while I do like the political stuff that comes in the main series, I really liked the skewed fairy tales from The Last Wish. What if Snow White was actually a crazy mercenary princess who may or may not be a mutant killer and her merry band of marauders?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it okay to talk about Witcher 2 here? I've been playing through it again, this time doing Iorveth's path. As it is, I found the Iorveth ending to Act 1 pretty poo poo compared to the loving awesome manor assault in Roche's path. Iorveth's path: "oh, it's just one long grinding fight sequence through thirty guards where half of them get killed by Squirrels anyways."

Act 2 was goddamn fantastic however. Dandelion's Succubus quest and Sheldon's gently caress-date ramblings during a mining expedition were great touches. Much as I loved Roche's path for how damned tragic everything was, I really like the silly adventures Geralt gets up to with his old buddies.

Act 3 so far is a mixed bag for me. It already felt rushed on Roche's path, but with Iorveth you can pretty much finish Act 3 in an hour and a half if you aren't careful. The whole "intended to get arrested" angle means that wandering through Loc Muinne is loving hazardous when there are a ton of overpowered guards just waiting to trigger the arrest sequence. I feel harried way more than I feel I should be, and I don't have any time to really go after the sidequests without having to slaughter a dozen guards each time I turn around.

That being said, watching Philippa suffer was so damned satisfying. I recently finished reading The Time of Contempt, and my opinion is firmly "gently caress mages forever".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just started playing and I'm a little wonky with the controls. It's weird because so many games use the right mouse button as block, but coming off Witcher 2 I keep wanting block to be on E instead. And I want to dodge more but I keep rolling because space bar. I should probably just remap those two keys.

Certainly one of the better optimized games I've played. This game runs at a pretty steady 30 FPS on my laptop (filthy pleb that I am), while Fallout 4 fluctuates like a schizophrenic man with parkinson's. Need to get a new shirt for Geralt though. That black sports bra and mail inseams are not a good look on the guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Iorveth ever meant to be the same elf as Iorweth from Baptism of Fire?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picking out some mods to go with my playthrough. gently caress carry weight and weapon degradation, if I wanted that I'd boot up New Vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished up the prologue. God, that is what I love about this series; things ending badly no matter what you do. I got reminded of The Lesser Evil during that last section with the tavern slaughter. No matter how hard you try, there's just no pleasing some people. That it was the Temerians giving you poo poo was just the icing on the cake. They're fighting for their country, and to them a person who is neutral is just as bad as an enemy. You have to sympathize with them, but at the same time, you're a Witcher, and during war its everyone for themselves.

And then to follow that up with the excellently done exposition chooser sequence in Vizima, gah, I need to get back to playing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm onto Velen, level five after finding Keira Metz. I'm doing the quest to find the elf sorcerer who talked to Ciri, and the Wild Hunt has already shown up and Geralt is talking about poo poo like their navigators and such. Is all this stuff from the books, or is it just part of Geralt's returned memory providing exposition that even the player wouldn't know beforehand? Also, it feels pretty early for the Hunt to show up, did I do this quest a little too early? The Aen Aelle with the axe is kicking my rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crappy Jack posted:

The Wild Hunt stuff occurs after the books, Geralt basically has a flashback in Witcher 2 where he remembers all the stuff that happened, but generally speaking, it's just exposition. I remember I had a lot of trouble with that fight too on my first playthrough, but then whooped his rear end on my second one. I honestly couldn't tell you if it was because I leveled up more, or I was just better at the combat system.

Ah okay. Still waiting on the english translation of the last two novels, so I wasn't sure how much of the Wild Hunt was covered there compared to the hints we got from Witcher 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished A Towerful of Mice. That was a sad sidequest. The music really sold it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Palpek posted:

The only thing that may be holding the books back is that the originals have an absolutely amazing writing style and when I was first reading them my thought was 'good luck to anybody trying to translate this, they'll have to send a poet'.

I thought that Danusia Stok's translation of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves was pretty good, if a little wonky at times, but David French nails it with his later translations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Working my way through the Bloody Baron's quest. God, this game can be downright miserable and heartbreaking. I feel bad for the guy, but he really makes it hard to be sympathetic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm really liking these contract missions. Most of them boil down to "go here, kill monster", but the presentation of Geralt's detective work really sells them. You're not just going to a place to kill a monster, it's a full on investigation that shows off his tracking skills and his encyclopedic knowledge of monsters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After 25 hours of playtime, I'm off to Novigrad. On my way there, I picked up a Witcher contract from the Redanian border garrison to find out what's been attacking the caravans, and it turns out to be Squirrels. I gave up my weapons to go see their commander, and then I had a fun time beating them to death with my bare hands because I was way overleveled for that contract. Stupid elves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Palpek posted:

It's not permanent and later in the game you'll be able to buy respec potions for 1000 gold a pop so you can experiment with skill points. Also what does make a big difference in signs is sign intensity that you can cumulate using both skill points and gear and it makes a huge difference. Every sign also has an alternate mode unlockable in later levels which dramatically change how you use them. However the most powerful tree is the innocent looking alchemy one which lets you take tons of potions at the same time, add random effects to them and basically take Geralt on a non-stop PCP trip.

So what Alchemy skills do you suggest I should take? I've got two points in that tree that increases the toxicity threshold for each formula I learn, and one point in Trial of the Grasses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm building up my Gwent deck. These Blue Stripes Commandos are insanely overpowered, I've got five of them in my deck. I mix them with a biting frost to punish the gently caress out of monster decks and their melee swarms because their bonuses just tank the damage frost does. I'd probably do the same with Crinfrid Reavers if I could find a few more cards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McKilligan posted:

I found it kind of interesting how the level of the fistgfights reacts to player level - it has very little to do with player input. If the enemy is a significantly higher level, they float like butterflies and sting like bees. If they're at or below your level, they telegraph their movements from a mile away and do far less damage. It's just kind of interesting that it's a difficulty independent of player input, since factors like DPS or player armour aren't taken into consideration.

Also, where the gently caress do I get the rest of the blue stripes?! My gwent deck is middling to pitiful.

I picked them up from the quartermaster in Velen and barkeeps. I think they're pretty randomized. Also, you win cards for beating anyone, not just hunting the unique cards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm running two decoys, one biting frost, one clear sky (don't have the upper tier Foltest cards yet, just the useless Fog one), a couple artillery, two reavers, Dethmold, Sile, five Blue Stripes, Roche, Ciri, Yennefer, Vesimir, one medic, Djikstra, Stennis, Zoltan, Ves, and that order of the flaming rose guy. Been keeping around 27 cards in the deck, 22 unit cards, and replacing the weakest ones as I win uniques.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Came to this realization, Is Geralt basically a really respectable (at least to his customers) exterminator?

Pretty much, and given the world's penchant for anachronism, that is a perfectly valid way to describe his profession.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just found the minor quest with the showman presenting his "basilisk". Pretty much a direct reference to the incident in Time of Contempt with Ciri.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

It makes a big think about Lotho being a member of the Bear School and he was the titular assassin of kings from Witcher 2.

I thought Letho was from the school of the Viper?

Also, Griffin Armor is nice for the sign boost, but my god is it ugly. What is with all these pot bellied gambesons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I've definitely noticed that Witcher 2 is much more self contained than either game before or after it, and I kinda like it that way. On one hand, it is fun watching all the references to the Witcher books in TW1 and Wild Hunt (I just got Sword of Destiny, so Dudu and the dopplers actually make sense), but at the same time I'm thinking "I just read this". Witcher 2 is much more its own story in that regard. It still has a boatload of cameos, but the plot itself isn't rehashing book events, and it has Dethmold, probably my favorite sadist in the franchise.

Now, I've been doing the Dandelion tracking quests. Is it possible to complete all avenues of investigation when tracking him, or will I fail quests by taking alternate routes? I just failed Gangs of Novigrad after Triss and I electrocuted a man's testicles.

Speaking of Witcher 2, I encountered Roche and Ves and my god what happened to their faces? Ves's chin looks like she got stung by a bee, and Roche has bulging eyes and Tom Cruise teeth. Ves is also acting like a teenager, literally telling Roche "you're not my dad you can't tell me what to do!"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the beard still grow if hairworks is turned off?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As tragic as the botchling is, I still love the gallows humor immediately after it as the Baron holds the thing at arms length and walks like a goofball while the little fucker twists and giggles like a happy baby.

Speaking of inventories from the previous page, while yes, this game's inventory is a mess, are there any games that have a good inventory system, really? The inventory for Skyrim is horrendous without mods, and then it is only serviceable. The Fallout Games have the Pip boy, which is a nice presentation, but still clunky, and in FO4's case downright awful.

What games have really done inventory right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do appreciate the emphasis put on dodging over blocking in these games though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If there is one thing I hate about combat, at least on mouse and keyboard, it is power attacks requiring you to hold down shift. It's just so goddamn clunky that I never bothered to put any points into strong attacks, instead opting to dodge around like a jackass and get ridiculous criticals from backstabbing.

I keep running into Morvran Voorhis around Novigrad and other areas. Dude is a nice guy for a Nilfgaardian poof.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 24, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Safety Factor posted:

I changed my strong attack key to right click. Parry and grenades/crossbow/other items went on different thumb buttons. These changes alone made combat way better.

Would it be possible to remap parry to E like Witcher 2 without loving up the interact button outside of combat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If you get your beard styled it will stop growing. The beard styles stuff was a sort of late addition so we didn't have time to do different phases of hair growth for each style.

Does the DLC bug the hair growth on the clean shave option? I've had a five o'clock shadow for about five ingame days, and then suddenly I complete a quest and poof, a full beard magically appears without anything in between.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ginette Reno posted:

The upgraded Quen sign that gives you health back when you get hit owns. I'm around level 12 now and My boy Phillip just hung himself. I guess I shouldn't have let that horse save those kids? But then the kids would have gotten eaten by the Hags. Is that just one of those Witcher quests where there is no happy ending?

There's no happy ending but the closest could be considered bittersweet with some redemption thrown in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd love to see some more alternate appearance dlc. I liked Dandelion's Redanian Robin Hood look in Witcher 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Triss only come to Kaer Morhen if you romance her? I did the Mage rescue, but she left for Kovir because I didn't kiss her drunk rear end at the party

I like Triss's character, but she is horrendously selfish. She just keeps moping and moaning about how bad things are for her and how she can't go to fancy balls or get respect. All I can think of is "well, it was the Lodge's fault for all this, you idiot. You can try and excuse yourself by saying they shut you out of meetings, but the sorceresses brought this on themselves, so it is hard to be sympathetic."

Any time you feel bad for someone in this game, you have to take into account that they've probably done something stupid as well that makes you question your feelings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Given the success of Witcher 3 compared to the other 2 games, i would not be surprised to see a standalone with a dif protagonist at some point.

George the Dragonslayer, or some of the Viper school so we could see Nilfgaard. Honestly, I'd love to see Zerrikania or Mahakam explored.

Also, is old man narrator Dandelion the same voice actor as the narrator for the intro to the first Witcher game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys did the baron quest differently than I did, apparently. I found his daughter first and did everything before going to the bog. Once I was there I sided with the crones and killed the tree demon. Kids were eaten but Anna wasn't turned into a monster or anything, just mind broken. I joined up with the baron to get her back and then opted to let strenger take his wife to he mountains for help rather than let the witch hunters have her. lot more than just two ways to finish that quest it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll have to try that last one. Seems I've been doing a fair bit of sequence breaking anyways, meeting Roche before Zoltan or Dijkstra send me to him for their respective quests.
Are there any mods that change the level progression so I don't become e hideously overpowered? I ended up doing most of the novigrad quests at levels 17-19 when the majority of the story related quests were for 11-14