Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Ville Valo posted:

I'm playing on XBox One and getting "You cannot save your game right now" way too often. Autosaves seem to have halted, too. I've already lost hours of progress thanks to this poo poo; I'm about ready to return the game.

Jesus is punshing you for breaking the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

I fixed it. Basically, at some point I enabled cloudsaves which moved the documents/witcher 2 save directory to that directory in the steam/userdata folder. If you disable cloudsaves subsequent saves still go in the steam/userdate directory, so what I did was enabled cloudsaves, shutdown Steam, moved your saves in to the steam/userdata savegame directory, started Steam and the game saw them. Went ahead and disabled steam cloud and made sure the files were still readable (they were). loving weird, but I should be all set for tomorrow!

That's pretty weird. Glad you got it working though.

Kimmalah posted:

I know the previous person was joking, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if it was some weird Xbone defense against people breaking release dates.

Jesus is no joke. That being said, I'm not sure if he's mad at you for breaking release date or for buying an Xbone. Or both. You should pray and find out.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

What is the name of the final game save file for Witcher 2? The one associated with the endgame bitmap is just called '.sav' as apposed to all the others which are called variants of "Autosave_000.sav'. I assume this is the end game save?

Your saves are 3-7mb? :stare:

Mine are all ~1.2MB or so. My final save is not any larger than the others. The end game save is AutoSave_####.sav with the .bmp linked above. It is likely the highest numbered one.

In all likelihood, when you go to import your save, it will only see these end game files and it will find it automatically in that save folder.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Someone who bought a CE should post some awesome unboxing photos so we can all pretend we bought one too.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

bloodsacrifice posted:

that could work if its priced right, like ten bucks a month would be worth it if there was at least 2 games you wanted to play coming out. The biggest (imo fatal) obstacle would probably getting all the different studios and publishing companies on board because you'd be limiting the hell out of your market, which currently right now would be "everyone".

Please no. I want to dictate the games on which I spend money.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

VodeAndreas posted:

If I reinstall Witcher 2 is there a way to force it to download my previous cloud saves? Or otherwise a way to check if they still exist somewhere?

I found a similar save to mine from the link in the OP but it would be nice to have one that was my own, even if there's no known difference at this time.

Try this:

Pwnstar posted:

That location would be Steam\userdata\XXXXX\20920\remote

XXXXX being your unique Steam ID

I don't imagine you would need to reinstall the game.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

gently caress, I just realized back when I picked Iorveth's side I didn't kill Loredo and opted instead to rescue to people trapped in the burning building. gently caress. That won't end well for flotsam. :ohdear:

Maybe I'll just have to side with Roche for my transfer game since I killed Loredo directly. Son of a bitch....but, maybe Flotsam is just a mistake Geralt will have to live with, and will haunt him as surely as any spirit from the Wild Hunt.

But dammit, all that cool political scheming and story information in Roche's path...drat.

Flotsam is hosed either way. It's just phrased slightly differently in the Epilogue.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

insider posted:

So... I just booted up Witcher 2 for the first time since 2011 in an effort to try and figure out which end game save I want to use. Well apparently since it is now the 'Enhanced' edition none of my earlier saves will show up to load to try and figure it out. I guess I will just use one of the completed saves that have been linked in the past... Just wish the tattoo was in the saves but it doesn't appear to be which sucks.

If you want a Iorveth playthrough I posted mine. It has the tattoo.

Also, if it's a steam version, check that steam folder (posted earlier) as well as the one in documents.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

Why'd they decide to crank the saturation up so far? Eeesh.

Because the more sharpened and saturated an image is the higher the quality. Duh.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Reminder that all the cool kids are hanging out in #witcher3 on irc.synirc.net. We don't talk about downgrading, just geralt buttes and witcher donges. There's about 20 of us who still know what an IRC is, currently.

:getin:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

Don't worry Iorveth's path brother. We'll manage.

I just hope I still get to see Broche, even if he hates me.

e. Stop responding to loving shrike. Look at his avatar for gently caress's sake. :cripes:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Oh poo poo Obama's in on the shilling conspiracy too? HOW FAR UP DOES THIS poo poo GO MAN?!

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

^^^Probably not.

Yaos posted:

Why isn't anybody angry about this?

It's not DRM, you're downloading the .exe + whatever other files are missing. It's to prevent leaks and won't be required in later releases.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Yaos posted:

There's a physical release. If you buy it tomorrow you'll still need to connect to the Internet or the game won't work.

Yes, the physical releases are missing the same files as the digital release. To prevent people from breaking release and then torrenting the files (which likely would have happened seeing as it did with the console versions).

They've already stated that this won't be the case with future presses and you'll be able to play the game without connecting to the Internet at all.

:getout:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I'm gay.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Keltar posted:

I saw the pictures. Pretty amazing.

Have you seen the picture at stores and everything. Massive crowds.

Made me smile.

Link?

Airfoil posted:

Adorable.

I have a neighbor from Slovakia who, upon learning I work in IT, bragged for 10 mins about the Slovak AV company ESET .

To be fair, ESET is a really solid company and makes hands down the best AV software out there.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I am using an optical audio cable to plug into a 5.1 sound system, but it's not working. I have it set to DTS Connect (5.1) in the sound settings, and it works for movies and such, but not Witcher 3, and there's no helpful settings in the audio section of the settings.

Anyone else having poo poo luck with Surround Sound and/or found a way to make it work?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

This game is good. Averaging 45-50 FPS with a single 970 with Ultra+Hairworks. Now if I can just get my surround sound working I'll be a happy camper.

But, for now, it's sleepy time. Congrats to Comte and the rest of CDPR on a job well done. Have fun working out all the bugs these next few days. ;)

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

On another note, if you got the game through GOG (and maybe Steam?) they have added a new Extra--"The WItcher Universe Compendium."

I have only skimmed it, but it appears to give the background information regarding WHAT IS ALL THIS WITCHER AND MEDALLION AND SWORD BUSINESS as well as what happened in the previous games, all in about 18 pages.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Well, at least I'm not the only one that can't get my surround setup to work: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/only_stereo_and_very_low_volume/page1

It sucks because once you get used to the atmosphere of surround sound you don't want to go back. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of I had a level 10(!) drowner camping it and I just gave up until later. Short of arduously kiting it onto shore I don't think there's much you can do.

I killed them with the crossbow. Takes like 4 hits a piece.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Solartide posted:

Where are you guys getting the crossbow? Have I just not progressed enough?

Is the crossbow Far Cry 4 levels of super good?

You get the crossbow from Vesimir when you go to kill the Griffin.

The crossbow isn't good in all situations, but it's really helpful in some.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

CrusherEAGLE posted:

At the end of the griffin quest, I turned down the money instead of taking it. Does this impact anything at all later? Or did I just make a dumb decision?

You getg 500 XP instead of 300 XP if you turn down the gold. At least that's what happened to me on Death March. I didn't get an Amethyst from him, that's the Well Wraith Quest Dude that does that if you tell him to keep the Orens for his daughter.

e. derp someone already answered this. I somewhow skipped a page.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 19, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

So I found both of the Serpentine swords in White Orchard but I am told there is a Serpentine Armor as well. Anyone stumble across it and remember where they found it?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Well, I managed to fix the surround sound issue. Apparently it's an issue with DirectX or some other flimflam that I don't fully understand. The important thing is that it works now.

For anyone else having issues download this zip and replace the files as instructed. You can either run the bat files or do it manually. I recommend backing up your actual original files just to be safe. If you're feeling really spergy you could do the hex edits yourself.

Here's a post with nerds talking about what's happening. Basically they edited one line of each DLL with a hex editor to force the game to recognize this particular type of output as surround instead of 2.0.

To quote the relevant post from that thread:

quote:

I recently stumbled across this problem again and investigated a little further.

XAudio2 seems to query PKEY_AudioEngine_DeviceFormat to determine the speaker configuration. This is a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure. XAudio2 does not check its "SubFormat" field for AC3/Dolby Digital. It always assumes some kind of PCM. And apart from the subformat GUID, a DDLive WAVEFORMATEX looks like stereo (2channel, 48kHz, 16bit - because an AC3 bitstream is compressed and fits into the bandwitdth of stereo PCM)!

A proper solution would to fix the XAudio2 speaker detection, e.g. query the MixFormat with IAudioClient::GetMixFormat, which is 6ch 48kHz 32bit float for DDLive.

A hacky work-around involves patching the XAudio DLLs (XAudio2_*.dll in both \Windows\System32 and \Windows\SysWOW64). I replaced the binary value for the PKEY_AudioEngine_DeviceFormat property key (hex: 4D 06 9F F1 2C 08 27 4E BC 73 68 82 A1 BB 8E 4C 00 00 00 00) in these DLLs with a value for a key from the registry which looked more like 6-channel. In my system with a Realtek HDAudio chip, I chose the registry key "{e4870e26-3cc5-4cd2-ba46-ca0a9a70ed04},0", which might be related to the "OEMFormat". The hex value to replace the value above is accordingly "26 0e 87 e4 c5 3c d2 4c 46 ba ca 0a 9a 70 ed 04 00 00 00 00".

I checked this with the Xaudio2 sample from the DX10 SDK and with a Xaudio2-enabled game. Both give me proper 5.1 surround sound now.

However, I really hope to see this fixed by Microsoft.

Ultimately solved this because I remembered that other games have given me issues as well (in particular, Far Cry 4) and figured there had to be some kind of common denominator in all this. Hurray!

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

So, uh, this is a thing that you can do:

Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Verranicus posted:

A friend linked me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8benTBehBM

I'm having a hard time understanding what the guy expected. "There's too much dialogue!" :confused:

EDIT: Oh god, I just saw some of the comments.

I made it about 70 seconds into that before my eyes rolled back into my head and I had to close it before I started eating my own poo poo.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just spent like an hour playing Gwent and mostly losing. I need better cards. These shitlords in Oxenfurt all cheat.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Pivit posted:

With the upgraded axii, do I need to have it equipped as an active skill for it to work for stronger dialog choices?

Does weapon condition lower stats when you are comparing weapons between what is equipped and what is in inventory?

Yes to the first, I'm not sure on the second.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Screenshots I took with the SweetFX profile I linked earlier and everything cranked up (minus hairworks):

I wish it was easier to disable the hud.

Can we get comparison shots? :sun:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

The best way to fight mobs that outlevel you (human ones, anyway) is by cleaving through them with multiple passes on Roach. You can hold down your attack key to ready your weapon and charge at them with time slowed down. It's loving awesome.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Solartide posted:

Anyone decon Yennefer's note?

Do you get something special if you do? Lilac and Gooseberry concentrate?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I have created an equipment table from the Prima Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Right now it doesn't have crafting diagrams and such added quite yet, but it has every armor/weapon in the game on there. I'll add diagrams and stuff Soon(TM).

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Archimago posted:

I have created an equipment table from the Prima Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Right now it doesn't have crafting diagrams and such added quite yet, but it has every armor/weapon in the game on there. I'll add diagrams and stuff Soon(TM).

I added most of the diagrams now too. If there's other poo poo you want to see on this let me know.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

Does anybody have an idea of what relic level monster ingredients you should not sell if you plan on crafting "x" thing later in the game? Just like in W2 I kept the Griffen remains because I anticipate finding some recipe later that uses it, but more common stuff like relic level monster brain, or relic venom extract, or relic level monster ear, I'm conflicted about selling that stuff. What are you guys doing with that stuff?

That question is exactly why someone in IRC wanted that megatable I posted: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpFXG3CqUM6S0nA5x6oR8H67TnF_NirRgj1V0FgYy_c/edit?usp=sharing

Check the Diagrams pages and you should be able to figure out if your horse buttes are needed to craft the Elite Magical SIlver Sword of Slicing

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Godfuckingdamn this game is so good. I haven't played a game that has pulled me in this much since The Last of Us. I've got a fresh beer and I'm about to dive back in. Doing the Baron quests.

Seriously, this game is so good. I don't have any quantitative reasons for it, it's just a goddamn good game.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, this thread is moving fast. Anyone else have no audio in the cinematic scenes but all the other audio works fine?

Ferret posted:

I know this is from ages ago, but the game appears to have a botched 5.1 sound implementation. Change your console/PC sound settings to Stereo and it should clear up.

Also, you could try doing this.

Game is awesome with surround.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Wow that Baron questline...

I set the forest spirit thing free because I thought the Crones were tricking me. They called it evil, but Johnny said they referred to him as such so I thought I was being clever. Although the ~dark magics~ feel of the rite that needed to be performed was a bit of an indicator it wasn't some kindly tree nymph...and I was pretty sure I had hosed up when the horsey got evil red demon eyes, but I didn't save scum. Turns out it was, in fact, evil.loving making me eat my decisions--whjat a depressing conclusion.

I actually did kind of feel bad for the Baron. The reviewers that mentioned the quest and how you could "sympathize with a wife beater" and were questioning that design made it sound like "sympathizing" gave you a conversation option to the effect of YEAH MAN SOMETIMES THE WOMENS JUST NEED A HIT OR TWO TO SET EM STRAIGHT" but it was nothing like that. Nothing's black and white in The Witcher universe, as usual.

Also, I don't know if it was a bug or not, but if you free the spirit, the Black Beauty shows up at the end of the Ciri bit when you're running away from the crows. You can't interact with it or anything, it's just hanging around right before the bit ends. Curious if that's foreshadowing of something or just a weird glitch. Since that took place in the past, I'm not sure how it would even be there at all, since I hadn't freed it yet.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Orv posted:

I'm a big fan of games as experiences, which leads me to let a lot of poo poo slide because I'm mostly just there for the ride. That's part of it certainly, but another part is that the combat here clicked with me pretty quickly, and now that I'm genuinely good at it, I can make it look awesome. So clunkiness aside, which I will freely admit there is plenty of, I love it for that.

Enjoying a game? You filthy casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

^^There is a not-optional "Day One" patch (1.02) and 1.03 was released today. Both are about 300MB.

The 1.03 patch reset some of my graphics settings. So if you're suddenly experiencing amazing framerates, make sure your textures aren't set to Low. :P

That being said, it did polish up my FPS a bit and the game seems less crash-prone. I think using Fullscreen and not alt-tabbing to say things in IRC helped with that too.

e. Another PSA: Lady Blacksmith in Crow's Nest (or whatever that town Not-Robert-Baratheon lives in is called) sells saddlebags that give you +70 to inventory. It's 300something crowns, iirc.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 22, 2015