Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Who the hell paid $600 for a 970. Jesus you got ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

No, you aren't.

drat..

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nien posted:

GOTY. Are there any haters?

I've had a fair number of crashes, unfortunately.

Also, thanks to my aimless exploring I found the necessary herb for the griffon, so I never ran found the herbalist. I remember the NPC saying she was around the Crossroads but I couldn't find her. Where is she?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I gotta say, the execution animations are loving awesome.

Badly Jester posted:

Her hut is a few meters to the east of the crossroads sign post.

poo poo, I completely missed that. Thanks! Gotta sell dat honey.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badly Jester posted:

Her hut is a few meters to the east of the crossroads sign post.

Went to check, didn't see any hut near the crossroads sign post. Just a bunch of bandit camps.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This may have been brought up already or the devs are already aware of it, but the crash bug I`m getting occasionally seems to be connected to mousing over stuff in the inventory. It`s been on different tabs and on different items, so far.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm sill a little stunned at how much stuff there is to do. I'm someone who really gets bored with open world games, but as other people have said, the way quests can weave together, or you can stumble upon them and the game recognizes it -- there's a lot of reactivity here. Nothing major, just a few lines of dialogue here and there, but still, it's the little details. I even thought that witcher contracts would start to get stale because they seemed to follow a pretty standard pattern, but having moved to Viking Ireland, there's been some really awesome quests that have shaken things up. Also the soundtrack. The soundtrack is really good. I never really paid attention to the music in the previous games, but they really nailed it for this game. The horse racing music rules (Cloak and Dagger on the soundtrack).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wolpertinger posted:

So (mid-lategame spoilers)When I'm gathering allies at Kaer Morhen, Djikstra snubs me because I hosed up getting his treasure back. That makes me wonder if it was possible to get more than the key and an angry Djikstra at the end of the Novigrad questline. Anyone get anything better than that? Is there a way to get Djikstra's help?

Nope, when I finished talking to everyone I got the acheivement for recruiting everyone possible to Kaer Morhen and Dijkstra shot me down, so no matter what he'll be pissed at you

Also, end of Act 1 spoilers Ciri talks about visiting a world where people had metal in their heads and used weapons that looked like megascopes. Cyberpunk 2077 reference or is it something more obvious?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

Edit: Also, you need white gull for superior potion recipes and also for making alchemy substances (vitriol, rebis, aether, etc.) - so you need two white gulls per superior potion, and one for superior bombs. And buying the ingredients for white gull is also expensive. I was rich when I first met that guy. I am now poor, but hey, what else am I going to spend the money on?

Is there a way to buy ekimmera (?) hides, because they seem to be a limiting factor on which oils you upgrade to superior. Maybe you just have to pick and choose.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

No. I mentioned this like five posts earlier: There are at least 4 oils I know of that require an Ekimmara hide to upgrade and there are, I believe, only three Ekimmaras in the game. Locations spoiled below:

Ah sorry didn't see it. I think I found two.

I don't mind there being a resource limiting your upgrades, although it'd be cool if it was made more explicit (THIS IS A RARE COMPONENT).

Also maybe I missed them but there really should have been tutorials on how toxicity interacts. I knew enough because I've played the last two games, but it wasn't clear right away how deconcoctions, potions, and the various alchemy talents interacted.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Kaer Morhen area is really pretty.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

The combat system is serviceable to a point, the only glaring flaws are the enemy AI which is godawful and spazzy a bunch (I'm gonna run in a circle over here and then stare at a wall while you funnel fire up my rear end!) and the "nope, you're in combat, can't do the thing you want to do like climb out of this hole" problem and the fact that even on the highest difficulties things ten levels below you (or five, if you're minmaxed) hit you for so little it doesn't even show up on your vitality bar but can still chain-stun you into a corner for several annoying seconds. The parts that suck don't have anything to do with difficulty - the parts that don't are only made better by increasing it.

The good news I guess is that some of the problems with the combat system like the spazzy AI and the weird combat/not-in-combat problem can be fixed. Other issues the video mention, like not being able to choose signs or bombs if not standing upright can also be fixed too. So while the combat is flawed I don't think a lot of the issues are impossible to fix. And CDPR have shown in the past more than willing to try to improve their combat after release.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

I don't doubt it'll get tweaked. I'm kind of wary about the nature of the tweaks though - the "combat overhaul" for W2 made as many things worse as it did better, and W3 is basically that plus finicky terrain.

Yeah that's definitely true. But I think if they ended up fixing the stuff I mentioned that wouldn't really make things any worse.

The bosses are kinda dull, yeah. Gargoyles are real assholes, even more than elementals which I eventually figured out how to handle (heavy attack, back step out of their attack repeat).

Aurain posted:

I have a druid trying to offer me a yellow ! quest near Gedyleith, but when I speak to him, nothing happens. Any one have a clue or is it just some weird bug?

Weird bug.

Also I got stuck on the tower quest thanks to a bug, I think, and never finished it. Which is too bad, it looked fun. When the mage deactivates the forcefield it turns into a glowing ball of light and the mage just sits there.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 28, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Playing through Heart of Stone, the people who made the music for this game deserve a ton of awards. It was already good in the main game but they knocked it out of the park for the first expansion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

psychoJ posted:

now start up new game+ :getin:

I don't think I could handle the last few bosses in Heart of Stone in NG+. Jesus Christ that poo poo was obnoxious -- the only major flaw in an otherwise great DLC.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think it's all because they didn't or couldn't want to use yen and ciri in the witcher 1 and had to spin a tale out of secondary characters (or new ones in Alvin) that still followed that plot line with the elder blood and everything else. To their credit instead of just trying to carpet over the plot they did a great job folding it into the two following games, even if a lot of it is indirectly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really don't like either main boss fight in HoS.

The boss fights in B&W are a lot better, however.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The music really makes that scene.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I hate the end game because it dumps you into Kaer Morhan, which is almost entirely empty. That plus the music really nails the loneliness of the place.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i decided Og was alright in the end and wanted to fight satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tarezax posted:

Yeah I get the sense that the vast majority of witchers are quite happy to fade away into history

credit to the witcher 3 for never explicitly talking about it directly (for the most part) and letting you piece together why everyone is so reluctant to make more witchers by talking to the ones who are still around in game.

I mean just one example among many of the game doing world building well