Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Mordiceius posted:

Holy gently caress. Nobody loving cares. Stop posting.

Actually we do care.

Here is when an artist says that sharp vegetation looks bad. What's next? 900p on Xbox one isn't noticeable! Come on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

And yes this does have implications. When pc gamers are wondering if they should upgrade for the best experience and they can run it with the best settings with a GTX 570, and it equals a console. Also, I have a choice between my PC and a ps4, chose the pc and was going to bring this into my theater for the effects I saw with in game footage from 2013, now knowing I could have just bought the ps4 version instead. We are all buying it anyway but this is pretty loving stupid.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

VarXX posted:

Actually it's about ethics in game optimization

Very correct. Or a purchasing decision on which platform to buy it on.

This happens constantly. But when thousands of people see purchasing 600 dollar video cards based on bullshit that they will get a better experience, that's an issue for me. With the current trend and the common denominator development just buy a console and have the same experience as you would plunking down 1600 for a custom built PC that won't have any advantages, people should be advised to quit wasting money if this is the ultimate outcome from developers without support for hardware that is way more capable.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The PC version is going to look better than the console versions. You're still an idiot.

There was a youtube video that showed them side by side and there was literally no difference which sparked this whole mess. It has now been conveniently taken down. Check rerolled.org. Heaven forbid we tell the truth here. Sales will not be impacted my little viral marketing lemmings.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Do we know how CPU bound this game is? I have a 970, but an i7 920, which is the only thing I have that is under minimum specs.

You will be able to run it easily on high settings with that. The Xbox one which they built it for is obviously lower.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Here is where a developer for the company explains why they had to develop for the least common denominator.

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-insider-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

For the record I could care less but had I known this before I would have bought the ps4 version. Instead this developer clearly states why they kept it in the dark which, honestly, who gives a gently caress. Just be honest.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

You are very blatantly the only person in this thread who cares. Please stop posting.

Your sales won't be impacted by this news. Chill out viral marketing posse.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Archimago posted:

Utnayan,

Can you verify the legitimacy of that whatifgaming article for us? Would be much appreciated and you seem like a man who would know.

The video I posted where the art developer for the company acknowledged it?

Dude is clearly making GBS threads his pants when asked. But then remember, about two minutes in, sharp vegetation looks terrible. :suicide:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah, you were right. I should have looked at his rap sheet first.

Yeah that rap sheet. Probated for posting about reviews being bought and paid for which showed to be true from those sites after the gamers gate information came out.

Anyway. Im still looking forward to the game. I think of implications it has on furthering graphic fidelity in the future and what may be the obvious sham of selling high end hardware, or even middleware upgrades when older technology can run these games very well on PC if they are only developing for an Xbox one.

The dev house is better than most. They do not believe in selling skin/gadget dlc and give it to customers for free. That's awesome. We are all tired of cut content and micro transactions at this point. All I'm saying is this was obviously held back from the public and PC gamers were all shown something else. Cut the crap and show what people are buying. It isn't that loving hard.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

megalodong posted:

You're an insane weirdo.

You are right. I'm whacked when I expect a very good developer with a great reputation to tell the truth about what was cut from the PC version of the game before it launches.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Archimago posted:

You're right. CDPR should not have published that trailer in 2013 and then never released another trailer since then after things changed.

It isn't that they shouldn't have released that in game trailer in 2013, that is what they were developing before knowing what the Xbox one could handle and needed to go common denominator design. What they should have said after that was they were doing that, and while it will still run at faster frame rates and higher resolutions on high end pc's, do not expect volumetric effects, distance viewing, or the other five things that were cut. The developer in that articl makes it clear that they knew about this but didn't want to call attention to it. Why the gently caress not? The dev house is loved anyway and would have been loved even more had they been transparent about it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

How did you spend 600 on a 970? I bought one for almost new at 350.

Where the hell did this come about? People paying 600 for high end video cards I meant a GTX 980 or even sli 970's to run the game in ultra when they saw recommended at 770. I never once said a 970 is 600. :what: Surf the net and look at everyone asking questions on what they should buy to make sure they get the best experience. Witcher 2 with über sampling chokes even on my 770. So it's fairly easy to understand how some pc enthusiasts thought they should upgrade to a 980 or sli 970's to run with everything full tilt. Now? It can't. Those options have been cut. Fine. You are right no one cares. If no one cares why does the development firm care so much to hide it?

It would probably bolster pc sales anyhow. Telling a market base you can run a game like witcher 3 at full tilt with a lower end video card would mean more would buy it.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Ballistic Photon posted:

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo you're crazy.

My guess is that if CDPR were to address the graphical fidelity downgrade in a later patch/DLC, it'll be when more than a few psychotic redditors can actually run the loving thing. Didn't they say that they were struggling to run it on SLI'd Titans?

No. It ran with full settings with all options on with volumetric and full distance with an i4790k and a single GTX 980. The developer in that interview already said that they could have optimized it further, but they chose to optimize it on the lowest end console. 900p Xbox one (with dynamic resolution changes which means when you stand still it will switch to 1080p) 1080p on ps4. And what is now the same experience on the PC at 1080p regardless of hardware.
Edit: see the above graph.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Burns posted:

Im sure there is going to be an enb preset sooner or later that will restore some graphics options.

They should say it now then.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

HORMELCHILI posted:

Shut up you entitled babies your opinions are absolutely irrelevant. I know you feel like the video game industry owes you something because you've ruined your own life for it, but guess what, nobody owes you poo poo. You are either consuming a product or not consuming it, there is no discussion to be had there.

Love this. Heaven forbid consumers know what product they are buying. We pay your bills and feed your family. Dolt.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

It's ok to say that you think a game should have better graphics. It's the weird conspiracy theory poo poo that's the problem.

It's not a conspiracy when a dev interview already stated it on a web site and a video with an artist from the dev house said the same thing and tried to scapegoat what downgrade meant while saying sharp vegetation looks horrible. (That was a good one )

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Ballistic Photon posted:

I haven't watched enough gameplay demonstrations to know the answer to this, but do we have any idea how combat is compared to Witcher 2?

Maybe I suck, but half the time I felt like the combat wasn't very intuitive and I was just making poo poo happen mostly by accident. I think my struggling point was with the tomes or whatever.

From what I have seen the combat looks fun and fluid.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't you say you were going to get the game anyway? Nice job voting with your dollars, there.

Yeah I am. I'm not arguing the game is going to loving rock. I'm arguing that I bought it on PC thinking I was going to get a better experience and that isn't happening and I should have been told that. How hard is this to understand for you?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Whatever you do DO NOT post about The Witcher 3 in the The Witcher 3 thread. Also I do not know what the word entitled actually means but it sounds bad???

It means customers who ultimately provide developers to make money and feed their family have no right to complain when they get mislead about products and they should shut up, swipe a visa up the asses of their developer gods, and take it like a man.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

There should be a gamergate thread where all "those people" can post and then the mods should just permaban anyone from that thread that posts anywhere else.

Actually, just jump to the end and ban all gamergaters.

Yeah we can call it: "Witcher 3 thread: Lets Viral this into oblivion."

Let me clue you in pal. The sales are fine. The sales in the two week launch window won't slow down. The 3rd party fucks posting in this thread to deflect honest criticism of how the PC launch is being handled can rest assured the sales are in tact and still have over 1 million preorders cross platform.

How about we ban all viral marketers so we can acknowledge downfalls made by a company, which is still a good company and made a mistake here by not informing PC gamers by what was going on long before hand, get the gently caress over it with a lot of folks by acknowledging the gently caress up instead of scapegoating it, and enjoy the game regardless and hopefully correct it for the future.

Watch out. One may have to acknowledge a gently caress up and be honest with customers buying a product. But those entitled bitches should shut the hell up and be thankful those developer Gods decided to glorify us with their game while they take our money as paying customers of a product.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

But you are are still going to give them money, removing whatever incentive they have to listen to you

I pre-purchased the game on PC after asking multiple questions on which platform to buy it on. I was going to bring my PC into my home theater area and connect it. I asked about passing sound to my theater system, how to configure that with my Soundblaster Z, all for getting much higher end graphics than my PS4 through the effort. I would have bought the game regardless because I know it will be a good game and I support the developer for releasing 16 DLC packs for free as it should be, yet they are the only ones that have the guts to say it. What I am disapointed about is the fact that I could have saved myself the effort by not pre-purchasing on steam because the PS4 version is equal to the PC version on launch at 1080p (I really could care less about 60 FPS or 30), plugged the drat thing in to my 400 dollar console, and had the same experience without the effort on my part to use more expensive hardware when it is apparent, that now, it's no longer being taken advantage of because at the last minute we find out the entire loving game was developed for an Xbox One.

I still love the company. Acknowledge they hosed up, because if no one says anything, this is one of the last companies that actually gives a poo poo about their customers, to not make the same mistake next time.

It's ok to tell your favorite developer they hosed up. This is how they learn. And.... MAKE MORE MONEY.

This quote from the developer, means they need to learn this lesson:

quote:

It isn't someting we would ever admit. Because it makes us look bad

Lesson? You look loving worse when you try to hide it and the truth comes out anyway. So loving tell people, let them make the appropriate platform purchase, and move on.

That's hard in this industry. Why? A bunch of egotistical assholes that have forgotten their lifeblood is our wallet.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
/\ This goes for you too, hooked on phonics.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Utanayan is a true PC Gaming Master Race.

I honestly don't give a rats rear end. If I buy it for the PS4, I do so because I can plug in a disc and play the thing on my couch. If I see graphics like I did and think the PC version is way above and beyond, I'll hook my PC into my theater, DVI to HMDI through my receiver, Sound blaster Z through optical, reconfigure a preset so both pass, enter my SB software to turn on DTS/Dolby Live, set a speaker setting to speakers to make sure I get emulated 5.1, move my PC into position, run an XBox Wired Controller to my PC and sit on the couch and enjoy much higher end visuals in a MUCH higher end audio and visual experience than I do on a loving 24" dell IPS in a computer chair. When I see that the developer held back on the information which could have saved me that trouble and I could have just plugged in a disc on my PS4 which is already attached to that theater system? It's a waste of time. And it isn't that hard to tell customers otherwise. And I feel horrible for the thousands of others out there that were asking if SLI 980 GTX cards would be enough to run this bitch in Ultra settings when all that was taken away and I wonder how their recommended settings on a 770 wouldn't blast the game away given a PS4 runs it in the same spec with half the hardware.

With the way gamers are, especially here? Good developers (Like this one) are rewarded for honesty and transparency. The biggest thing missing in this industry when, believe it or not, more money will be made by being honest and humble with your customer base than lying thinking it is going to tarnish a rep. IN this case, the rep was tarnished. The game will still be good. Just give the customers a heads up next time and don't make the same mistake again.

My Advice for the 34 developers from CD reading this.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Archimago posted:

BE GONE FROM MY SIGHT, YOU FOUL LYING DEMON.

Based on the youtube video that was pulled, there is literally zero noticable difference.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Yet you will still get the game anyway instead of punishing them with your wallet for what you see as a mistake. You REALLY don't have any integrity, do you?

You really need to learn how to read entire posts before replying.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Lord Lambeth posted:

Please put Utnayan on your ignore list.

Bullet points on what was taken out:

* Level of horizon detail
* Volume Based Translucency
* Ambient occlusion and foliage density and tree count.
* Flexible Water simulation / tessellation
* Ground/Building Tesselation
* Forward lit soft particles
* Real Time Water Reflections

This was all running on a 980 GTX at 56 FPS before optimization. Anything else?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

mrfishstick posted:

I'm literally shaking over how sharp the grass is

I found that to be the most hilarious comment of the video. Yes. Glad you agree.

Maybe we can have tessellation by 2020 on the next console? That would be fantastic.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Daric posted:

Check his rap sheet. He's insane.

Totally insane. In fact, I got banned for this one when I called out a developer here on SA.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482784&pagenumber=46&perpage=40#post413268810

Course, that was true as well.

Anything else?

I know SA is better than this now. But back then it was a haven for developers and virals to shout down anything they wanted to.

Stairs. You fucks aren't protected anymore.

The only defense? Look at all those probations. Well, click on ever single one of them. Just do me a favor and read them first.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VarXX posted:

This is almost as bad as that time Crytek had to lower details in Crysis compared to its reveal because the game wouldn't run on any PC for 10 years

Yet, ran on an 8800 non ultra at 50 FPS.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Roshnak posted:

I've really enjoyed reading 4 pages of posts by a guy who seems to pride himself on speaking truth to marketing power taking a trailer made 2 years before the release of a game at face value and having a meltdown when he realizes that the final product doesn't look exactly the same.

Obviously that's ethical when a company doesn't forewarn you otherwise when buying the product.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VarXX posted:

Some crazy revisionist history going on here

On low settings maybe

Here is the lowest spec, an 8800 GTS back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUXpV3_xec

And that is with fraps hitting the frame rate.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VarXX posted:

Do you own any Nvidia products?

I dunno. After your last post, do you? Or know any of the history behind them? Time to brush up.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

VarXX posted:

That stuttering is there even without fraps. I had the same video card. Performance only got worse once you left that tiny little beach too. Not to mention the first encounter with the aliens bringing the game to a slide show

Low end series card running the highest settings in a PC engine setting the bar for graphic quality to push consoles, equals neutering a game which can run so much more today if allowed to for the lowest common denominator of development while not telling their customer base this, how?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

I want to see how far I can get his conspiracy theory hole dug and also I want him to really commit to the idea of the game not looking good so that when it comes out and everyone is like "Whoa, this game is really pretty" he's forced to shout "NO NO YOU PLEBIAN FUCKS IT DOESN"T HAVE UBERSAMPLING ITS LITERALLY RAPING MY EYES"

I am sorry but can you explain this conspiracy theory when two developers of the game already admitted as such?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

You not understanding the technical and visual aspects of game development over a 3 year period is not CDPR's fault.

You not understanding how the game was developed and ran on technology today that most have, in that fashion to advance graphic fidelity, on a development cycle that started well passed 4 years ago on DX9, incorporated tesselation with water reflection at 50 FPS on even a 970 on DX11 change over, (on an i2500k at 4.2 Ghz on an Evo 212 to boot), yet cut for triple platform development, being one thing, is fine. Not telling your customer base about it, and it only becoming known when a developer leaks it a day ago with videos that have been deleted from youtube, while a major manufacturer relishes the fact that their sales will go up based on the need for that greater graphic fidelity that won't exist? ? *IS* CDPR's fault.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

I am sorry that you have someone missed the massive marketing blitz CDPR has done for this game over the past few weeks that has included multiple trailers, letting YouTube personalities play the game and record it, and lifting the review embargo a week early. Perhaps if you had seen all of that, it would have given you an idea of the visual fidelity of this game.

Maybe you missed that fact that all of those were PS4 copies. Didn't you get the memo in viral?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Seriously, this is the last forum I would expect to get upset over what is a very minor downgrade. Witcher 3's so called downgrade isn't even close to as bad as what happened to Watch_Dogs.

I would gladly show you the difference. But the youtube video showing that has mysteriously turned into a static TV set.

Oh here is the URL link. Which is now deleted.

]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cn-ekHLqEY

Here is the thread where it first came up.

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?1499-Witcher-3/page40

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Karrahad posted:

Because the people making that poo poo have realised their error. :smuggo:

:trainwreck:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0gJ8DpUd0

This is the same dude who posted your smoking gun interview so do you trust that he played it on PC?

Arguing on the Internet protip: accusing people who disagree with you of being paid shills will never not make you look like a crazy person.

I guess neither does deleting the evidence on youtube.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

So I'm out of town at the moment and don't really know my PC's specs off the top of my head, but I was able to run Witcher 2 on it with no issues. Even with the downgrade is Witcher 3 going to be so much more intensive than 2 that my machine bursts into flames? I'd rather not have to go out and get a new console just for this, but it's one of the few games that would motivate me.

(Sorry to interrupt the arguing)

What is your spec? Given the new evidence I would hardly think that recommended specs would be a GTX 770 and an i5 unless you had 9 pop ups of live porn going at the same time.

With the new info, you will be fine with a 570/670 and 4 gb Ram and set it to high settings.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

Nope, nope, nope, don't wiggle away from this. So is the footage recorded and released with CDPR's authorization by docm77 PC gameplay and therefore indicative of the platform's graphics or not? I would like to point out that he claimed it was running at 60 FPS, which the PS4 isn't and should be very important to a graphics hound like you. Which makes it odd that you claim you would have rather gotten the game on PS4 if you had only known about this terrible downgrade.

Are you serious right now? I do not care about 60 FPS as much as I care about fidelity and effects at 45 FPS. I would run this at 30 FPS if it meant I had the graphic fidelity of what was already played in 2013. The youtube was deleted. A developer was confronted in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

He then goes on to say, as he jitters like nuts because he knows he shouldn't be talking about it (and says, hey guys, grass shouldn't be sharp that was a detriment)

Yes, had I known, I would have gotten this on PS4. It's the same drat game on both platforms, I gain nothing from buying on PC. My complaint is laziness! I do not want to hook up my PC to my theater and hook up audio for a better visual experience on my PC if I am not getting it. Why would I??? As I said I am not saying the game sucks, I cant wait to play it. My beef is with why they held back information on the PC version. Just loving admit they hosed up and move on already. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

1stGear posted:

I want to see how far I can get his conspiracy theory hole dug and also I want him to really commit to the idea of the game not looking good so that when it comes out and everyone is like "Whoa, this game is really pretty" he's forced to shout "NO NO YOU PLEBIAN FUCKS IT DOESN"T HAVE UBERSAMPLING ITS LITERALLY RAPING MY EYES"

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-insider-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

Are you telling all of us gamers here that these things wouldn't make a difference in graphic fidelity and atmosphere? The game play is the loving same, regardless of platform. "whoa, this game is really pretty, but if we had actually sold what we marketed, it would have actually showcased advances in tech to make it unbelievable!"

You posting this reminds me of someone who would say Virtual reality at a state fair in 1996 is the same as the Oculus Rift.