Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Guys don't you understand, if we can just render Triss's boob with enough fidelity, I might actually be able to reach out and touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Utnayan posted:

For sure!

I think it is time I talk to Rich about this site becoming a true gamer site without the viral marketing.

Gamers are looking for a site where they can go and get unbiased truth without the shout downs, massive posts to displace real concern for readers..... The anti shill site.

And I think that this forum will be the best for it.

Revenue will triple. And no longer will Vanilla Gorilla, Poptart Fairy, or some of the other culprits be left to stay and disperse and dissuade.

I mean poo poo, it was a running tally that box revenue would increase at least 1k boxes with that Starfleet dental group from the MMORPG forum. I know of 3 marketing departments (EA, SOE, Funcom) where they actually paid for that poo poo.

The grass is greener on the other side. Probably time to make that happen.

I just have to say that waking up to this was pretty amazing. I received my doctorate last week, but I think being called out by the worst poster in games as a paid shill may have been the greater honor.

And yes, Utnayan, before you ask - it was a Ph.D. in Viral Marketing Strategy.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Back to on-topic discussion:

So most of the coverage has pointed to two large-scale explorable "zones" after White Orchard: the Skellige Isles, and No Man's Land. I think Comte hinted that there was a third large area that hadn't been showcased yet that he didn't want to spoil - do we have any idea what that is yet? Some other thread on NeoGAF linked to a video that showed that the map for Kaer Morhen looked like it was somewhere close to the size of W.O. Is that the third area? Or is it something that we haven't seen at all yet?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Final Fantasy VII Snowboard mini-game inserted.

That's no downgrade, that's an upgrade!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

PC Stream looks fantastic outside of all the weird commercialized twitch poo poo that dude has going on. He's like 5 minutes into the starter area and he already found a world event that Vinny and Alex missed on their playthrough.

It's also readily apparent that this game is going to be even rougher on people that obsessively have to loot everything than Witcher 2 was, let's all pray for a no weight/autoloot mod quickly.

edit: Hahaha, he just killed a bunch of drowners by igni-ing an exploding barrel and then using Aard to launch it at them.

GOTY 2015

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 17, 2015

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

gently caress yes, that sounds amazing.

He's playing on the hardest difficulty (or so he says), and he managed to kill a bunch of higher level drowners (they're 6, he's 1) through good use of signs and dodging. They hit for like a quarter of his health when he hosed up, but he eventually wore them down. Found a nice new magic sword and mastercraft boots when he did it. This was all on the beach near the path that Geralt is going down as soon as he arrives in White Orchard from the tutorial. Like 3 minutes into the game.

Anyway, that bodes well for the gameplay, to me - I like being able to take down tougher poo poo before I'm supposed to through a mix of tenacity and luck.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Wiseblood posted:

Doesn't the hardest difficulty also have permadeath?

He said no when somebody asked him, and he quicks aves before every fight.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Slate Action posted:

I think reviews so far have indicated this is the case.

Apparently the best poo poo is crafted, anyway, so that probably helps. I think the general paradigm is that loot quality goes bought < quest < found < crafted.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the book series have the idea of magical legendary weapons or anything? The games were fairly low-key on weapons and equipment and I liked it that way.

I haven't read the books, but the setting is kind of "middle" fantasy. It shoots for the grit typical of low fantasy, but there's a shitload of magic and stuff like extraplanar travel going on. So, the idea of magical equipment probably isn't that out of alignment from the fiction.

That said, I think they use the "magical" nomenclature here to largely denote quality rather than crazy enchantments. We haven't seen anybody find gear that lets you shoot fireballs out of your rear end in a top hat or anything, it's all pretty much straight number increases. So you can just pretend that "magical" means "better made" or made with exotic materials.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Watching this PC stream from earlier - I'm really digging the side quests that have Geralt playing CSI monster hunter. If this game is is basically 100 hours of solving cool monster mysteries and playing Gwent it's going to be the GOAT.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Why does this game say it unlocks at 6PM EDT on Steam and 7 PM EDT pm on GOG?

Because it unlocks tomorrow evening at 7PM EDT, which I think is midnight on the 19th in Poland time or whatever.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Slate Action posted:

Wait, you can be attacked by your own horse? Did I read this wrong?

First rule of Witchin' - Roach don't give a gently caress!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, watching all the downgrade dudes getting hoisted on their own petard is pretty funny. Sorry you can't run the game on ultra/1440/hairworks enabled at a steady 60 with your single 970. Turns out that chasing the bleeding edge is a double-edged sword.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

iGestalt posted:

From what I know, they can't. Or rather, it's never been tried. I think they said it would be too unstable or the effect would be different on a woman than a man? I'd assume it might boil down to "Yes, but men are dumb"

There's some deal where they can't survive the final ritual to become a Witcher, where they do the crazy mutations. Ciri, for example, only got the first part of the training and can't do the whole mutagens thing.

Also, please note that the Day One patch brings the game to the preview trailer standards at a blistering 60 FPS on my Voodoo 2.

:10bux: deposited directly to my paypal is fine, Comte, TIA

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Shakugan posted:

Have any analyst firms etc made public predictions about how many copies they expect Witcher 3 will sell?

They already beat a million preorders so I'm guessing it's going to do alright. At the very least they'll get enough sales to ensure we have an equally lovely and obsessive thread about Cyberpunk 2077.

Edit: Nvidia tuning guide is up: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Free horse armor and beard/hair style DLCs are going live at launch as well.

#UPGRADE

https://twitter.com/marcin360/status/600302805254045696

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Man I bet Obama did a Witcher 1 playthrough with a FAQ to make sure he didn't miss any sex cards.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Do I buy it for PS4 or Xbox One?

The Bone version apparently has some frame pacing issues because they didn't lock it at 30fps or something, although most people (e.g. Giant Bomb) that have played it say that it's alright. If you have the choice, PS4 is apparently the way to go.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So, bets on whether GOG/Galaxy immediately crash at 7:00?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Keltar posted:

Hearing the game on GoG along with files for the DLC and art book are corrupted and all.

So yeah probably going to crash with a fury.

Judging pictures from Poland people are excited as hell.

The loving prime minister stopped by their offices today, apparently.

Like imagine if Obama stopped by Bethesda to high-five them for Skyrim or something.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

So has there been anything definitive on the PS4 edition's framerate? Is it really that bad, or closer to Bloodborne where it's 30 fps except for when poo poo's on fire etc?

Most of the reviews say it sticks around 30 except for really big fights. The bone was having some stutter in cinematics but that was a pre-patch version on the GBeast play date.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Guys Im being downgraded, and I'm loving every minute

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Game looks loving sick nasty with everything jacked. Thanks new GTX 980!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

UberJumper posted:

Is there anyway to stop the constant barrage of "Gamepad Detected Control Scheme Changed" it constantly pops up, and is really getting loving annoying.

It's an artifact of switching between gamepad and mouse/kb - mine only does it if it detects any input from the opposite control method.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gwent is pretty fun. Also LOL at the quest name for the Gwent collection.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Dear people of White Orchard: Sorry for stealing all of your poo poo.

Love, Geralt.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Protip: you can deconstruct junk items at crafters for important components. So don't just sell all those hides you find.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is legit the first open world game I've seen that does forests right. Like I came to the edge and felt trepidation about going into those woods.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Watching a storm roll in is some incredibly baller poo poo.

Also, re: alchemy - remember, your potions are replenished on meditate with alcohol now.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Make sure you go back to the notice board every once in a while - new notices get posted and add new poi's to your map.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ymgve posted:

Do notices get stored somewhere? I just clicked quickly on them all without reading the first time.

Most just add POI's to your map. They're "?"

Getting a lot of crashes transitioning from the menus back to the game. Getting a little annoying.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

For those who are having the issue with the game crashing on inventory/book reading, the Nvidia control panel trick from earlier worked for me too - played a couple of hours this morning, read plenty of books, no crashing yet. You need to add Witcher 3 to your programs list under Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3d Settings -> Program Settings (tab). Once there, click on the option for "Power Management Mode" and set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance". Other things that I did: switch to borderless window mode and turned off hardware cursor under video options in game.

Please note that this may all be the usual PC games voodoo, but it appears to have worked for me and has reportedly worked for others.

Also this game fuckin' owns. I'm 4 hours in and I've still got a ton of WO left to do. Also, the writing is fantastic.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I would murder every one of you for a second emerald dust - just sayin'

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Bussamove posted:

I'm digging this alchemy system. A somewhat time-consuming process to make your first batch followed by drinking your sorrows away when you meditate to get them back is great. Though I'm a new babby Witcher so I still only have the starting potion and nothing else yet.

Does it just consume one of the alcohol in your inventory to replenish everything, or a bottle for each thing that needs to be refilled?

Don't hold me to this, but my experience thus far is that it seems to be 1 alcohol to replenish a stack. Also, if you have sticky fingers, alcohol seems pretty common.

Basically, ABL (always be looting)!

^^^^^ she's in a hut at the crossroads south of the main White Orchard village. She gets an icon when you get close enough, I think.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Dreylad posted:

I gotta say, the execution animations are loving awesome.

Yeah, you can get some great moments fighting humans in this. I got into a scrap with some deserters in the woods. Was going at the leader while his buddy was plinking arrows at me. Got tired on that, so I ran toward the bowman, Aard blasted him (deflecting one of his arrows), cut him in half, then turned around and finished off the leader by hamstringing him and then lopping off his head.

Then the flaming guitar guy from the Doof Wagon in Mad Max rose up by my window and played a sick riff.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tell Geralt I'm putting a contract out on the menu/inventory/book freezing issue.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

TheCool69 posted:

I've been having a really good time with the game, just doing sideguests in White orchid, and just finished killing the first Beast.

But i cant figure out how to activate the road signs for the fast travel?? I've clicked on them but still get the "you cannot fast travel from here, you must find the fast travel signpost"

But the signposts all Give me the "fast travel" option when i go to them.

Any advice?

You have to fast travel from sign post to sign post. You can't just open you map anywhere and teleport around.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

There's something kind of amazing about galloping through a forest at full tilt because a bear is running after your rear end with a taste for Witcher on his mind.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

PST posted:

Having just done a search on it, I found

'Finally got it working. If somebody will have same problem, just turn off v-sync. No crashes after this. Weird bug.'

Someone else said it was fixed by going full screen, not borderless windows and 'tweaking graphic settings', given that could include the v-synch setting above, i'd start with just that.

So somebody on Reddit noticed that the game was hanging because of their cards clocking down/up when moving between inventory and gameplay. Apparently, a lot of people have had luck setting the program preferences in Nvidia control panel to prioritize maximum performance under power management, which prevents this. I explained the process for doing that earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You can climb up on the south side if you approach from the west.

Don't feel bad, this took me like 10 minutes to figure out too.

I was real pissed at those rear end in a top hat bandits - they all got an extra dose of Igni when I finally made it up there.

To the guy above - you gotta blow up monster nests with bombs. Also, don't forget to loot them afterward!