Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally tumbled headfirst into this game over the holidays and have fallen deeply in love with it, having purchased it months ago and never having played the previous two. I just got to Novigrad though and while I finally feel like I have a grip on the mechanics I'm wondering about some stuff:

-Is it better to give up my sweet light geae bonus for slightly better armor rating? I just bought the Nilfgaard set and look like an evil badass but its all medium.
-How often does the Jedi mind trick come up? I maxed it out early but the option only happened twice in Velen even when it would've seemingly veene really useful.
-Do the treasure hunts for gear match the recommended level? I want the cat gear but suggested level is 17 and I'm only 12, so I don't wanna kill myself getting it if its unusable for five levels.
-In general I've been trying to help the oppressed and non-humans. Will this bite me in the rear end? I already made the wrong choice trying to save those orphans from the Crones and don't want more blood on my hands!
-Is the sun&moon regen power worth it? The healing shield is already ridiculously OP.
-Is there any reason to use heavy armor, ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hi thread I'm one of the people from that article who started replaying this on PS4 again recently! It's very good, if you didn't know. Also they must've patched it in the last two years because the load times seem substantially improved, which was nice.

Anyway, I was going through my DLC list (I bought it before the complete edition was a thing so had to install all 30+ add-ons separately) and saw some kind of neutral gwent deck that's disabled by default? If I'm generally a fan of gwent but not amazing at it should I enable this or does it throw off the balance of 'just use the starter deck forever because you'll never get enough cards for the other three'?

Also, alternate lady armors: yay or nay? I'm thinking nay but maybe someone has a strong argument in favor.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I forget, is there a way to have multiple quests tagged at once on console? I keep forgetting I picked up that quest to fix roadside religious statues from that lady until I'm already halfway across the map.

I also kinda forgot the bizarre XP structure of this game. *takes 1 min to clear up a monster nest* 80 XP *does long, nuanced questline to decide a hunter's fate* 80 XP *has one plot conversation* 300 XP

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Helith posted:

You really don’t need to worry about xp , everyone pretty much ends up at the same level by the end.
It’s only a pain if you want to get to a certain level to upgrade your armour and you keep getting 1xp for low level quests.

I want that drat Nilfgaard set, I finally outleveled the sleek-rear end Temerian set and am stuck in the 'various ill-fitting sweaters and pirate blouses' part of the game :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The only other time I beat the game was with bear armor + leaning into strong attacks but playing on death march now I can't imagine leaving yourself open long enough to strong attack and not getting wrecked (at least at lower levels, I just hit ten). Which is a shame because its easily the best-looking armor in the game.

Also was anyone else pissed that they apparently had a sunglasses slot the entire time but didn't use it until Hearts of Stone? Absolute bullshit and I'm already contemplating what kind of trickery I'd have to pull to get to the auction early. I think its after the frog boss which makes 'just use puppet a lot to thin out crowds' probably not viable on the highest difficulty but I'm sure someone's figured it out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The enhanced cat set or whichever one is the tactical turtleneck is the best looking set

Is there anything in the lore that explains why only witchers have figured out how to make clothes tighter than 'kid wearing dads clothes' or 'slightly too large weed dealer poncho'

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think a lot of people are so used to Prestige TV and high-level production values that if they see something that looks cheap, it's an automatic thumbs down on the whole thing. Not saying that's anyone here, but in terms of plotting for season 1, there's nothing there that's worse than the last 2ish seasons of Game of Thrones, for instance.

A bad show can coast for awhile on the audience's goodwill of seeing characters they like doing cool things but that doesn't really work when you don't know the characters, lore, etc

There is no one alive who liked that big epic battle with Ciri's grandparents or whatever and not just because it looked cheap but it was all very "who is attacking? Why? What are the stakes? Who was that guy?" and while I could see the structure of an interesting story when Geralt butchers Blaviken it's so rushed and disjointed that you really have to cling to Henry Cavill doing a great job and his sick murdering skills to get any enjoyment out of it.

They should've started with 'Geralt does a job' and slowly introduced stuff from there which is basically what episode three was instead of throwing you into the deep end of bizarre politics and magic school.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

MikeC posted:

It's like saying Star Wars opening with a Star Destroyer blasting a small rebel ship is bad because they didn't have a long exposition other than an opening crawl. Who is the empire? Why are they so mean? Who is this dude choking people with magic?

It would be more like if we saw the Alderaan council talking about their hopes and dreams for twenty minutes before we get a long, poorly conveyed battle scene of them dying anyway and the story moving on to the characters you like. Wait....I'm describing the prequels. It was like watching the prequels.

I realize those characters are actually made interesting later during the banquet with Geralt but the only reason to not show that first is for the 'wow! timeline out of order!' which is...not that great of a reveal? Like the prophecy and all that is interesting enough to just kind of show it as-is rather than trying to do a Westworld switcheroo.

I think the reason I'm so harsh on it is that I went into W3 completely blind and was impressed by how well the game conveys its setting and major characters in the first twenty minutes: Geralt is a witcher, he hunts monsters and can do a little magic. He is having ominous dreams about his daughter and looking for his lost love during a war. The war is extremely hard on the peasants. You get enough to get a sense of place and become somewhat intrigued, and then the first 1-2 hours just kind of reiterates 'the war is bad and there are no good guys, there are crazy monsters, Geralt is a cool monster detective.'

And then...episode 3 is basically that! It's like the perfect introduction to the show, the world, etc. Its just such a weird misstep.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Djikstra was right and the ignorant peasants absolutely need to be dragged forcibly into civilized society, as the events of W3 show leaving them alone leads to them deciding to kill their nonhuman neighbors every time they have a bad crop

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I did the Yen romance first and its definitely better but I kind of forced myself to do the Triss romance this time and it's cute even if she's a little too fawning

To be fair though without any context from the books or the other games Triss is the nice lady who saves refugees and lets herself be tortured just to help you and Yen is so psychotic she destroys half an island with cursed magic because she can't wait two seconds for you to go "hey I have this magic lamp that lets me talk to dead guys"

Anyway Shani was the best

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I finally hit Skellige on my recent playthrough and realize how much of it I seemingly skipped the first time. Like, the multiple quests that follow the lighthouse contract, that kind of thing. It's a pretty great time going in knowing to just ignore every smuggler's cache.

Anyway, I'm doing the woodland spirit contract and have a couple questions:

-if I let it live, does that still count towards the 'do every contract' trophy? I'm usually not a completionist but since I'm going through on death march I figure I might as well do every 'this will take an entire playthrough' trophy.
-if I let it live, is there anyway to save the elder? I can't remember if his death is scripted or if I just wasn't fast enough.
-and, most importantly, if I kill it does the trophy look hella sick on Roach with the antlers all jutting out?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Helith posted:

Points of interest, yes. Expansions are designed to come after the main game mostly. You could do Hearts of Stone now if you wanted but it's pretty high level with hard bosses. Blood and Wine is best left for last as it's a lovely farewell to the game and Geralt.
The quests that will fail are ones dealing with named characters such as your friends on Skellige and in Novigrad and Velen.
Monster contracts and treasure hunts you can do afterwards as well.

Taken from the wiki, these will fail or become unavailable when you start Isle of Mists

A Dangerous Game
A Deadly Plot
A Favor for a Friend
A Matter of Life and Death
A Towerful of Mice
An Eye for an Eye
Berengar's Blade
Brothers In Arms: Nilfgaard
Brothers In Arms: Novigrad
Brothers In Arms: Skellige
Brothers In Arms: Velen
Cabaret
Carnal Sins
Ciri's Room
Coronation
Fencing Lessons
For the Advancement of Learning
Ghosts of the Past (only if Letho is alive)
King's Gambit
Now or Never
Possession
Redania's Most Wanted
Return to Crookback Bog
The Fall of the House of Reardon
The Lord of Undvik

it never even occurred to me that you could just...not go help the baron try and find his wife after he gives you all the ciri info. i assume he just straight up dies in the swamp?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The game tricked me a lot with stuff like that but for some reason none of the twists was as infuriating as the dragon contract on Skellige when the guy pays you half if you tell him the truth. It's not even like I needed the money but I still remember it three years later because it's just such a petty dick move that you can't do anything about :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

You can do something about it. You can let the guy continue to believe it was a dragon.

I simply lived with the shame and left Skellige forever, which is why I apparently missed so much content the first time

Still ruminating on killing or not killing the ancient leshen the next town over

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

IIRC outside Iof caves and lengthy quest dialogue chains you're never more than maybe five minutes tops from a fast travel point

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

there being an entire column in the combat tree dedicated to the crossbow makes me wonder how many people attempted to go in whole hog to try and make it even slightly useful outside of water.

edit: has anyone even bothered trying to use special ammo for it? it seems the hassle of making it and carrying it around completely outstrips any utility it offers

My plan after eventually beating the game was to start a NG+ run on the easiest difficulty and just go all in on the crossbow skills to get that one 'headshot 50 humans' trophy. That seems to be the only reason fo ever use the...four? Five? Different crossbow skills available.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm actually trying with Gwent this time but I've yet to run into any problem that isn't solved by throwing spies at it using the Northern Realms deck then just brute forcing it. Is there any reason to switch decks outside of giving yourself a challenge?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Worth noting that clearing out monster nests actually does give you a decent amount of experience early on, it just tapers off pretty quickly after level, like, ten

Also most sidequests give you squat but witcher contracts are still giving me a good 200xp assuming I do them around the appropriate level

One weird thing I noticed with the Skellige king questline: I ended up being massively overleveled by the time I got around to helping Cerys and her brother do their quests, but because they're both sidequests I assumed I'd get nothing out of it xp-wise. And I didn't from the brother, defeating the giant got me like 10 xp, but when I did Cerys quest to fight the hym I got like 400 xp out of it. I have no idea why but between this and helping her investigate the berserkers netting you another place of power it seems like the designers really, really want you to side with Cerys.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This is the witcher, its not going to get better. Thinking the opposite led me to trusting an evil tree.

As long as you do it before meeting a certain godling you made the right choice

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Wait is it controversial that sparing Gaetan was a bad choice

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

depends, what do you think about sparing letho

He is strong and cool and my friend

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

It was pretty clear he was going to keep doing this so.

Whom among witchers has not gone beast mode on a village that tried to cheat and then murder them

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I assumed every one just used the coolest looking ones

The shrieker or possibly the fiend

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Helith posted:

For the Skellige choice you can not help either Hjalmar or Cerys, just nope out of it after the bear slaughter and Svanrige becomes king with Birna Bran pulling the strings

I thought Skellige was more still just raiders but that dude still said "gently caress you mom and gently caress Nilfgaard" so it's not 100% the wrong choice

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Lambert Lambert, what a prick. They both look great and I hope this means more random tales of witchers witching it up. I came around to the show in the second half but still think they should've seeded more of the heavy plot elements throughout. Like seeing Geralt was at the siege at the beginning helps recontextualize it but less in a "wow! cool!" way and more "oh I wish they just waited and showed this all together at the end" way. I know the reasoning but its still messy and does itself no favors. Eh, maybe now that all the more disparate backstory is out of the way it'll mesh a little better.

I always liked Eskel's whole vibe of basically being the version of Geralt that isn't incredibly attractive or friends with a famous bard. I would play an entire game of it, just this constantly down-on-his-luck witcher with a better-named horse, striking out with the ladies and being asked if he knows the White Wolf.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Lambert mod where it just automatically picks whichever dialogue option is most likely to lead to violence and you're locked into all the bad endings

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont mind that so much since the main character facial animations are so good. but im starting to be able to predict the exact gesture a character will use based on their dialogue

Never play mass effect

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Speaking of Dandelion I just realized I still don't know why he was helping steal Djikstra's treasure, why, or where it ended up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No one has mentioned the obvious reason to do HoS early which is to rock the sunglasses and/or donkey ears through the entire ending sequence

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's also important to note that O'Dimm is sentient. While his motives aren't exactly laudable, he doesn't immediately fit the definition of "monster" as Geralt sees it - it's the same reason that killing godlings, dopplers, and friendly trolls is an individual choice vs. just a fight. He also doesn't really know what O'Dimm is. He's kind of outside the Witcher lore, I don't think that's a being that Vesemir ever taught him.

Ehhh, wouldn't this also fit something like higher vampires? If sentience gives way to sadism and murder Geralt seems inclined to snuff it out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Its not even that good of a sword tbh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

In the Witcher world killing your bandit brother for a half-decent reason is still a little better than "that guy looks vaguely foreign" or "she brewed tea once shes a mage" or "for fun because I'm a pirate" so jerk seems an apt description

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

It's kind of interesting how what most people seem to find objectionable about the whole thing is how there's no judge dredd option where you can both banish Gaunter and then shriek YOU DON'T DESERVE FORGIVENESS and gut Olgierd the second after he becomes mortal again.

To be fair you do kinda get this option with both the hungry werewolf and the sadist priest so I can see why they would notice the omission :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Pretty sure it’s book canon that Ciri takes Yen and Geralt by a boat into the mists and likely into another dimension. Exactly where that is isn’t defined until The Witcher 2.

I think they left it fairly ambiguous as to whether or not this 'really' happens or it was Ciri papering over her own grief with a happier ending she made up

But obviously it needs to be canon for the games to happen, so

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it’s subjective but I interpreted Geralt’s “death” as being ambiguous even without knowing it needed to not be real for the games to work. Plus, it would be kinda bullshit for a goddamn unicorn to not be able to help heal a dying man

I agree with you in the sense that the Witcher is pegged as this grim fantasy but its not nearly dark and depressing as that kind of ending would merit, BUT I always took the 'they die in the street' ending to be that the unicorn didn't show up at all, like that's the point of divergence.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think the people that go with Triss just want a redhead with big tits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpDlAzLkyQ

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I read all the books (except Season of Storms) last year and while overall they were great one thing that never really clicked with me is the Lodge. From playing W3 first I assumed I was missing out on some huge backstory featuring all these legendary sorceresses but in the books they really do just have meetings, passive aggressively snipe at each other, and then get clowned on by nearly everyone. And there is a lot of time devoted to them for how little they really do, which can make those parts a slog.

Which made the decision to cram extra sorceress backstory into the show a baffling one, because it was just about the worst part of S1.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I did greatly enjoy her part in Geralt's summer vacation but as a whole the lodge really did feel like they were originally intended to do....something...at some point

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't necessarily fault Geralt for it because even in the books him and Yen's entire dynamic is constantly sleeping around then lying to each other about it immediately. Which is another good argument in favor of Yen because they really are perfect for each other, the toxic power couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't mind the W3 combat but Arkham style would have been a vast improvement

But then again those games mostly work because combat consists of 'regular guy' and 'big guy' and not a dozen different shapes and sizes of monster and trying to work that out would have been a nightmare so :shrug: