Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm mostly straight, but i'd like to think that if i stayed hot and virile for 150 years i'd have experimented at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess they’re remaking witcher 1 in the unreal 5 engine. I’ll try it https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1585270206305386497?s=46&t=m51QYi1TpmehGqTxdBbbow

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked dice poker, but I like bad things. But I didn't like witcher 1. also one of me only tells the truth, and the other, only lies

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

They should add liar's dice from RDR1 to the remake imo

they should add it to everything imo

starting with rdr2

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wasn't expecting any more content for this game at all so yeah, "basically the same but a little better" is fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm not in a hurry to do it, but i think i have another run or two in me before i die, glad it'll be slightly different this time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I only ever finished W3 and Hearts of Stone once and never played more than the intro to Blood & Wine, so I am absolutely diving back into this.

Maybe I'll force myself to see a Triss romance through to the end this time...

I’ve never actually seen the triss romance, I got….too ambitious and got a different resolution for my second run. Time for a third I suppose (but not like last time)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

Would've made a lot more sense and still been interesting if the games had done the "there's only one witcher school but everyone gets a different animal medallion" approach.

like if the sorting hat ate 70% of the kids

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How old is the "no girls allowed" canon (ie, when did Andrzej Sapkowski come up with it)? i feel like at this point the fallout from changing the rules so people can play as a woman would be less annoying than adhering to it at all costs, i say go for it

and/or let me be a sorceress, it looks fun

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And it's not like it would be the first time in history that a male-dominated profession shut out women simply because they just sort of assumed women wouldn't be up to it without ever actually checking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the main problem with the nutsack armor is that the existing nilfgaard armor already looked too cool

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

This ruins my authentic experience of hearing pam pam a ram from the peasants while sprinting past at least a dozen times

as long as we still have "*fart* HAW HAW HAW HAW" guy all is well

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I don't remember ever having to grind, I feel like there was always a quest that was appropriate for my level at any given time in the game. Just come back to it later imo, the game offers you a lot of things to do, no need to pad out your time grinding

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I played on easy for the early game and have no regrets.

Once you get your first set of crafted Witcher Gear (i wanna say this opens up around level 14-17?) you become significantly stronger and even I had to turn the difficulty up a little to stay engaged. But I definitely advise against grinding for xp in this game, I don't think you should ever have to do that. Pretty sure there should always be a quest available that's at or below your level (if you're in the very very beginning of the game, you might just have to explore or progress a little first to find them, but I don't remember ever hitting any level gates in the prologue), and if not that, exploring the ?s on the map will give you something more interesting to do than just farm monsters.

also this game is like 150 hours long even if you're just doing the quests, so I cannot recommend adding any length doing activities you aren't enjoying

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

admataY posted:

Who is the mad man who runs around the kingdom leaving broken rakes in every barrel and chest ?

Maybe people get drunk and think they’re garbage cans

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The smashing the lab scene is so good, too. Like the snowball fight but angrier

I understand the rationale behind the don’t take the emperor’s money decision but i never liked it. I’m supposed to be teaching her how to be a Witcher and then I turn down one of the biggest paychecks of my life after I already did the work just because the client’s a piece of poo poo? I feel like your average Witcher does worse for less probably

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Issaries posted:

Imagine the adoptive father that raised you selling you back to your biodad for money.
Holy trust issues.

I might be misremembering the event actually; is the choice actually between sending her back to nilfgard or taking her away with you? If so then I take it back lol that’s evil as hell, I thought the only difference was whether you get paid for some reason

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Geralt isn't really a very good Witcher when it comes to the whole "staying out of it and just getting paid to kill monsters" anyway. He's always involved in poo poo, so really no big deal about breaking the witcher code about the bosses money

they are really more of guidelines then a code you know

My first intro to the IP was Witcher 2, which opens with Geralt fighting a battle in an army for a king, which as I understand it is not typically what witchers do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alctel posted:

Ok I restarted from my manual save at the isle of mists and was able to go through and make geralt not kill himself. You can really power through it in a couple hours if you skip all the cutscenes you've already seen.

Just started the HoS stuff and super enjoying it already

bringing back that dude from the start in white orchard was a great idea, the interaction with him then was weird enough that I remember being all 'that's super odd' and it wasn't a massive surprise that he showed up again.

Also, it's Shani from game 1!

I'm glad you powered through and are doing the DLC, it all rules and will be worth it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lmao lose to the halflings!!!

Seriously if you already won (given you jsut redid the last third of the game) go back and do it again its worth it i promise

and don't forget to give shani wine

i won't tell you how to play anymore, those are the important ones

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I am buying magic beans from a fairy tale girl who has moved up from selling flint to hard drugs.

Edit: actually, I am going to defeat her at a children's card game

Are you playing blood and wine? if you are where i think you are, watch where you step

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

itry posted:

A Ciri game that lets you jump between multiple worlds spheres would be great, but probably highly unlikely to happen.

imagine the gimmick from that one level of the titanfall 2 single player campaign, but it's the premise of the entire game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Play as young Eskel but it does the fable thing where every time you die you get a scar on your face

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair the other witchers are really annoyed at how heavily involved in politics Geralt gets lol

Yeah i was under the impression that witchers getting into politics is unusual, or at least strongly frowned upon. But I suppose the contrast between the way things are supposed to work and the way they do is a theme of the series ("monsters and other monsters," etc)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the big problem with doing a timeskip (aside from having to figure out what to do about the state of the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard) is that the Witcher is in a fantasy world that is very much not locked in a stagnant medieval period. It's developing, it's changing, there's new technologies being brought in. Even if magic and monsters aren't fully dying out, you jump forward a significant amount, and the world should be significantly different.

Maybe not steam engines or gunpowder, but there should be something.

i wouldn't mind being a witcher with a gun

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

isk posted:

IMO they're the gold standard for post-release material. Each is a nicely-sized game until itself. Blood and Wine is basically the perfect swan song for Geralt

They aren't strictly necessary to pick up beforehand. However, Hearts of Stone unlocks Runecrafting, which is a supplemental and impactful gearing path. May as well pick it up

Yeah you don’t need them asap since you won’t be playing them until towards the end (B&W in particular is best played after everything else imo) but you should absolutely play them, they’re wonderful

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is anybody else no longer capable of stepping outside on a windy day and thinking anything other than "wind's howling"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Magic spiders

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It does seem odd that this game never got a glamour mode that lets you apply the cosmetics from one armor to another. Asscreed did it, we should copy them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

It's a shame Corvo Bianco doesn't have more weapon racks. You get enough armor racks, imo, but would love more places to hang up some of those cooler swords.

It's a real disconnect with the amount of swords the game gives you yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ouroboros posted:

Also have to note how strange it was to run into a lengthy send up (Paperchase in B&W) of an Asterix movie I seared into my brain as a 5 year old and have not thought about since nor ever heard anyone make reference to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4StpMBjMmlY

In general I was not expecting the sheer volume of pop culture references in the series, 3 in particular. It wasn't Borderlands but it certainly didn't quite fit the quite grim and serious tone that I had in my mind that the Witcher was. Definitely a funnier game than I remember it being.

The insult duel with "Mancomb" was my favorite personally

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Mancomb is so good. Toussaint is just a lot more lighthearted than Velen, even if their are funny moments in the base W3 or Heart of Stone.

But I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to find Nivellen and the incredibly thinly veiled Beauty and the Beast reference funny, all the way back to the first short story connection, and I got a little laugh at Snow White stabbing the rapist Huntsman through the ear with her broach. The series started with a ton of references and comedy.

I also thought it was funny that you could easily step on thumbalina and kill her completely by mistake. At least that's what happened to me, maybe you all were more careful about where you were walking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm sure it also doesn't help when Geralt wanders in with a poorly configured Autoloot and hoovers every last potato out of their cabinets.

something something law of surprise

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like the no levels part though. Cyberpunk did that for 2.0 and it’s been great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well technically it’s not no levels I guess, it’s just that levels don’t dictate where you’re allowed to go. No number is gonna be the boss of me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank

Peasants trading different kinds of thin soups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Splorange posted:

You'd have merchants pooling resources into ships and shipments or betting for or against voyage success. There's a ton of interesting irl historical poo poo you could do. It's been so loving long, but I'm fairly sure there hasn't been any allusion to a trading company in any of the Witchers?

Well there is the spice trader Emhyr var Emreis in 2