Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Kaal posted:

When you get to Witcher 2, my mod suggestions are these:

I just started getting into Witcher 2 and thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So I rolled credits on Witcher 2 last night. Overall, there's a lot I liked and appreciated about the sequel but also things I disliked. Games are a land of contrasts etc, etc, etc

Things I liked:

- The game looks much better than Witcher 1, more detailed environments, more varied npc costuming/faces, overall a much more visually immersive feeling to the game
- The monster design is a lot better, Witcher 1 reused a lot of the same few designs but with color swaps so having more varied and detailed creatures was a nice step up
- Lots of story options and basically two entire campaigns to play, and some drastic changes based on your choices. More games should embrace this style of design
- I like the character build system (even if the more basic and style of the first worked great) and I like how you can customize your Geralt to emphasize combat or magic or potions depending on your preference
- music and sound design continue to be top notch and add so much to the atmosphere of the world, master class in how it should be done. Those monster barks add so much and are greatly appreciated from a design standpoint

Things I didn't like as much:

- This game was clearly designed for a console. I'm sure people can play it with keyboard controls but I'm not one of them. Thankfully I have a PC controller and once I switched over to that I had no issues managing combat
- I miss the inventory system of the first game. I found that one way easier to compare equipment, manage inventory, and see what crafting pattern I had. Witcher 2 stuff is serviceable but a step backwards imo
- why in the poo poo can't I tell if I've read a book or not?? Yeah okay the information isn't vital to the game but I liked reading all of the books in Witcher 1 to get a better idea of the world, cultures, history, monsters, etc. It's such a simple, small thing but why remove it?
- I didn't like how deep you have to go into menus to get monster lore. Why do I have to go into the character menu, then the attributes tab, THEN go over two other tabs to see what kind of sword or poison work best? Dude is a Witcher, monsters are his whole deal, this should be like right in the menu from the start. Ya know, like it is in the first one!

Next up is obviously Witcher 3. I bought a copy for switch probably 4 years ago because I had heard it was a real good port of a real good game. And at the time I didn't have a semi decent computer so I figured it would be my only real option. But now I'm probably going to go with the PC version to keep my saves rolling over and to take advantage of mods. Ain't no way I am dealing with inventory space or weight restrictions, I am a mutant vacuum who picks up everything and I can't play any other way.

Overall, the series continues to be great and I now see why some people were so down on The Witcher netflix series when it started.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 28, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

chaosapiant posted:

Do keep in mind the show is not based on the games, but the original novels. That said, if you haven't already, do read the novels. I think they're fantastic fantasy books and it's probably my favorite fantasy series.

I do plan on getting to the books.... eventually.

I realized pretty quickly after starting Witcher 1 that the game(s) were sequels to the books, but it's kinda funny cause knowing the show beforehand I recognized some of the allusions to the books even without reading them.