Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Leveling is slow in this game but then again my rpg repertoire is limited to dragon quest and diablo so idk what is considered normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have put in probably almost 20 hours at this point and I am still only level 4 but I did prettymuch everything you can do in white orchard and doing every sidequest/whatever I wander into in Velen. I was also stuck in that well for a while. Swimming in this game reminds me of like, dark forces 2: jedi night or something.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

This game reminds me most of Ocarina of Time. I don't game much - maybe that's why. But if you think about it...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

OoT had better controls

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Also all this depth amd immersion but you still can't fish!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I didn't know anything about the Witcher coming into this game and I just figured Geralt was like this world's Judge Dredd, or at least that's how I play him.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I now have 75+ hours in this game. Level 19 and just rescued Dandelion and I have like 20 pending quests going down to level 11. Not been to Skellige yet. I have been prioritizing non-main quests to an extent but mostly prioritizing by doing the lower level ones first while I can still get exp. Basically I wander around instead of using fast travel if there are still ? items in my path and do whatever I run into unless it is too high level. I think I might be avoiding the main quest too much, though. Getting too OP.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The game is kind of an essay on the idea that neutrality is not actually neutral, which is why so many peasants must die. By steel or by bog curse.

I probably shouldn't have murdered the Nietzescheans, though, but I thought it was only a brawl until I punched both of them to death.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 14, 2022

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sometimes it is easy to know when Geralt will have a choice to murder, but other times you just go with "Well, huh" and an entire village dies.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

alex314 posted:

There are 8 Witchers mentioned in all of Sapkowski's books. 4 of them didn't survive until end of the book cycle..
Apparently there are additional 25 Witchers mentioned in the games, with 15 mentioned dead. That 15 doesn't include Witchers that can die according to player's choices. Pretty deadly profession..

If a Witcher falls out of bed it's instant death

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've got like 100 hours in right now and I finally got into gwent. I've barely been to skellige. I sailed around a bit and came back for gwent. Still playing through Velen but I think I have gotten through just about everyone here. I forget what the ultimate goal is here. Something about a wild hunt?

Level 21 now.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

The nilfgaard deck gets pretty nuts once you get all the spies going

I just got enough cards for a Nilfgaard deck, it's only a little weaker than my Northern Realms. Winning if there is a draw is a lame bonus. My leader card is better, though, I got the one that lets you spy an opponents deck vs the lame impenetrable fog foltest. I missed getting the white orchard in foltest, unfortunately. Siegemaster or whatever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

So I am finally doing Skellige quests and in the middle of searching for a wizard mask, Geralt pulls a page from the Hulk Hogan school of seduction and just walks into Yen's room nude and then there's a unicorn...see this is why I don't need sex in video games.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

The sorceresses are all literally terrible and awful for Geralt. The best ending is when Geralt goes MGTOW red pill and just lives his best life as a solo witcher.

I just did the Djinn quest and it was great that after Yennifer gives this romantic speech one of the dialogue options was "I don't want to see you anymore." Was tempted, but I already killed Keira and blew off Triss so I figured I am probably screwing something up if I don't "romance" anyone.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Both Keira and Triss had racist anti-witcher books on them. The one that says Witchers are useful for errands but otherwise scum.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have wiped out like half the male population of skellige. Why must the pirates provoke me so?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I really liked that Lord of Undvik quest. Really made you feel like you were hunting a monster. Great sound design with all the ambient noises makes you think the giant is just right around the corner. Too bad you can't just kill the giant by yourself. He wasn't really a match by the time I started this quest.

I let Hjalmar take the credit.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think I am playing Geralt too soft. So far I have spared the allgod, the godlings, both succubi, and every troll. I did murder some students for knocking over those shrines. Got a few peasants hanged.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The humans are the real monsters. Really only feel bad about the guy from the pig quest. Maybe I should have stuck up for him in the end.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I saved a village then accidentally killed several people trying to igni a beehive. I thought the peasant I accidentally burnt would live but he flailed his way into a Doom barrel and took some women and children with him when it exploded. "whoops"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tried to play Geralt tougher and threw the baby in the oven but turns out that was the nice thing to do wtf. Plus what kind of leader is this Cerys? Tricking me into killing a baby and not battling the hym like a true Skelliger. Got me to murder those guards because of it. She is no queen.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In other news I redid my ability points to ditch ranks in firestream and melt armor, which are useless as far as i can tell, and picked up magic trap and puppet mastery. So I can just stand in one place and throw fire bombs at bandits.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I encountered the bugged "Hidden in the Deep" quest on Faroe. Found a corpse with a letter and key and the quest completed before I could even catch what it was. So I go into this cave and slay the monsters and find the loot, but there's also an area with a fancy looking door my witcher senses highlight but I can't do anything with it. Does that actually go anywhere? The map was bugging out, switching between cave and surface, and Geralt even started swimming through the air for a while.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The wolf school was originally some rear end in a top hat who found a cave, probably a serial killer.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I must have like 200 hours in at this point but I still have to kill Radovid and then start the whole kill Eredin thing then there's the DLCs. I finished Fists of Fury last night. That was kind of weird. It's actually easier to punch a bear to death and knock out a rock troll than beating up humans. Go figure.

Also I think I am stuck with the bad ending already because I got drunk with Ciri instead of throwing snowballs. Sometimes you choose an option and it's like whoa Geralt, that's not what the dialogue option said you would say. You dick.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

If you don't mind posting where you're currently at in the main story I can gauge whether you're locked into the bad ending or not.

Right now the main quest is Final Preparations and the only thing I have done so far is talk to Triss which led me to Blindingly Obvious/Reason of State. Broke off from that to finish some contracts/treasure hunts.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Did you visit Emhyr before heading off to fight Imlerith at Bald Mountain?

There are five triggers that determine whether or not you get the bad ending. You need at least three positive outcomes to avoid the bad ending. The meeting with Emhyr can be skipped and does not count towards a bad ending, but if you visit emhyr you can get a bad dad point depending on your actions. If you skip the meeting with Emhyr you only need two "good dad" points to keep her alive.

There's one chance in Novigrad to earn a good or bad dad point and two chances in Skellige. So, with your drinking with ciri locked in, depending on whether you visited Emhyr or not you've either got two bad points, one bad and one good, or one bad and no good (if you skipped the meeting) and three more chances to be a good dad.

as long as getting behind a bear and punching it to death doesn't make me a bad dad i think i still have a chance with skellige.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

as long as we still have "*fart* HAW HAW HAW HAW" guy all is well

i accidentally threw a bomb at these guys and discovered they are easily defeated if you aard them off the bridge.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think I like the mastercrafted wolven gear the best. If I see some drowners waving their dicks over a treasure chest I just play a bass guitar solo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I finally finished the main quest and I am doing Hearts of Stone. Very good quest so far. I unlocked all the runewords...what does the one that "charges" your sword with a sign every time you cast a sign actually do?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I screwed up "Without a Trace" and just reported back to the herbalist to say wolves got his apprentice. I immediately realized I misseed something when I saw the bloody ribs on his table. I thought the story was going to be that a gang of halfling cannibals led by the herbalist chased him and ate him. Read the spoilers and was disappointed.

Early on in Velen I also got attacked by some cannibals and even took out what looked like a whole cannibal meat market, yet no quest or explanation of what the deal was.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Glad they had some throwaway dialogue about Radovid being dead in HoS because people keep mentioning him and I keep yelling "he's dead!" at the TV

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MikeC posted:

Is it just me or does the Heart of Stone mobs have ridiculous amounts of health? I don't remember regular lvl 33 Fallen Knights being as tanky as Eredin.

I noticed the same thing except this is my first play so I assumed it is normal. Everything has a ton of vitality.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

But then again you can use blizzard/aard and kill every knight with one shot and take no damage

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

mage geralt is my go-to for early-mid game, I haven't tried it in the new version as I'm waiting to move to a new place and get set up

my point about the two deeper Signs ability tiers is they scale very poorly and ime were quite underwhelming. if you wanna stick with the mage geralt style you get a lot more oomph from getting into Alchemy after you pick up the alt Signs you want (Quen, Yrden, whatever). longer potions, using multiple decoctions at once, better bombs to mix into your Signs casting, etc.

imo Signs is great early game and Alchemy doesn't really come online until later in the game when you have more recipes unlocked.

I probably overdid signs and went into the Eredin fight without twirl or rend, but I still won first try while Caranthir killed me several before I figured him out. Playing HoS in front of my brother he was a little surprised I was able to wreck certain fights with signs. He did cat gear/melee and he said fallen knights, boars, and even those two necker fields messed him up. I just aard and blizzard potion and one shotted every necker or night. Boars I think I did yrden or something.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i watched the bad ending on youtube and man they really make it bleak for making a few poor parenting decisions

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just started Blood and Wine myself and initially thought something was wrong with my display settings because of the color tone

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Spergatory posted:

I'm not even talking about the damage, I'm talking about the actual process of fighting the stupid things, which just teleport away from you and spam ranged attacks and leave behind bombs. I have never died to an Archespore, I just groan every single time I see them because I know I'm in for several minutes of tedious repetition. Hit it with something, watch it leave, see where it pops up, dodge its attack and try to maneuver Geralt's glacial rear end to where it appeared before it teleports again. Repeat for far longer than is enjoyable. It's even worse on uneven terrain, since their teleport seems to ignore elevation but you are by no means afforded the same luxury.

Can any bombs or signs stop it from teleporting? Haven't fought any of these yet.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There was that one scene with Geralt and Yennifer and it starts flashing to images of wolves running wild and that's when you press b to skip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get the general principle of opposing the devil, but Olgierd is a monster and a menace that does not deserve to walk free.

It's weird that there's a bunch of brothels with unique named prostitutes that are never really relevant to any quests.

Is there an achievement