Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh...

Just to be clear, yes the hero of this game is a white-haired japanese teenager, no he is not a Belmont, and yes, this is actually a good video game despite these two things. One of my favorite Castlevania titles, in point of fact - I got this one on the GBA when I was 13 years old and it introduced me to the series. Here's the academic details, if you're interested:

Wikipedia posted:

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is a side-scrolling platforming video game developed and published by Konami for the Game Boy Advance. It is the third and final installment of the Castlevania series on the Game Boy Advance] and was released in North America on May 6, 2003.

Aria of Sorrow is set in the year 2035, when Dracula has long been sealed away after a battle in 1999. The plot follows the journey of Soma Cruz, a teenager granted occult power as a result of being a potential vessel of Dracula's reincarnation, as he battles dark figures that wish to inherit the undead lord's power. The game incorporates the same combination of elements from platform games and role-playing video games as in the previous game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.[3] Aria of Sorrow introduces several new features to the series, such as the "Tactical Soul" system and employs a futuristic storyline in contrast to the medieval setting of many other Castlevania games.

In short, you play a dude who gets told he has to do the Dracula Shuffle and smack down ol' Vlad for the Xth time, this time not because you're part of the family that just does that sort of thing, but because you and Drac have a sort of father-son-holy ghost thing going on, which the game will further elucidate as we unravel the (dead loving simple) plot. What's cool about this game is that it's the first one since SotN to feature a ton of different weapons as opposed to the Vampire Killer, and they're a great deal of fun to play with. Also making its debut is the Tactical Soul System, which allows you to steal your enemies' attacks and abilities by farming them for hours on end - because how else would you know the game was Japanese?

~+ ABOUT THIS LP +~

This playthrough will be focused mainly on talking through the game's features - I'm recording post-commentary and am gearing it towards a mostly informational experience, with some jokes. When I unlock Julius, I'll be doing a speed=through with live commentary, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Please use Spoiler tags for stuff I haven't gotten to yet - I know it's an old game but let's preserve a bit of the mystery shall we?

~+ VIDEOS +~

Episode 01 - Soma Cruz and the Kingdom of the Creaking Skull
Episode 02 - Let's talk about souls, tactically speaking
Episode 03[A] - Meeting Graham
Episode 03 - Soma vs. The Manticore
Episode 04 - The Study
Episode 05 - Armor-Piercing Whip
Episode 06 - The Ol' Duck-and-Dash
Episode 07 - Exploring the Inner Quarters
Episode 08 - Hangin' in the Garden

Captain Q fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Might want to record at a higher Res, so you can avoid YT's <720p poo poo compression.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
:siren:NEW VIDEO!:siren:

Episode 02 - Let's talk about souls, tactically speaking

In this episode we make marginal progress, destroy a lot of priceless art (for money), get moshed by a group of rowdy undead, and talk a bunch about the Tactical Soul System.

I took the advice of some folks in the Sandcastle and Tech Support threads (and you too, Rigged Death Trap!), and thanks to them this video's resolution looks much less like you're watching it in the reflection of a dirty toaster. Enjoy!!!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

One reason to fight zombies: They drop a soul that becomes very useful against a boss later in the game.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

One reason to fight zombies: They drop a soul that becomes very useful against a boss later in the game.

If I remember correctly the Zombie Soul Increases STR when poisoned but I don't recall using it. However I am already using attacking souls a lot more than I did when I was actually playing it on GBA so I plan on using a lot of souls I never tried before.

Some bosses I'm really not looking forward to. Balor in particular is a huge loving dick, but fortunately I love his level. It's probably among my favorite areas in the game.

Also you have a great username.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
You have a style very reminiscent of MeccaPrime when he was still around here.

This is not a bad thing. not at all.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Captain Q did you decide to do this LP because of the Bloodstained kickstarter or did it just work out that way?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This looks like a pretty dang good game so far. I'm old enough to remember when the first Castlevania was new. I'm a big fan of metroidvania type games but due to the fact that most of the early installments really aren't that at all (making the coined name a bit of a misnomer) means I never really got a chance to get into the series because the non metroid style ones are usually balls hard and I'm a weirdo spergy type that feels like it's just not right to play series out of release order if I can help it. This comes right when I've been letting the pendulum swing towards really needing to scratch that metroid itch, recently also buying Axiom Verge (if you like Metroidvanias, you need this game. it's incredibly well made). Are you planning on following up with the direct sequel, Dawn of Sorrow on the DS?

Also, seconding that you have a great voice for this sort of thing. Honestly, it reminds me of a good game show host the way you just roll with everything somewhere between planned and spontaneous.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

LateToTheParty posted:

Captain Q did you decide to do this LP because of the Bloodstained kickstarter or did it just work out that way?

Hell, I didn't even find out about it til today. Feel free to hype that poo poo up in this thread, I'm ready as hell. Gonna kick in some sweet :10bux: and get me a digital copy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure this is the only Metroidvania outside of SOTN I've finished. The nice theme for the opening area helps my favorable half memory of this game I spent way too much time grinding souls in.

I expect it's wrong, but I've always been convinced it was faster to travel through empty areas by mashing the back dash than walking :downs:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I know I've played this, but I don't remember backdashing...ever. I think I just jumped out of the way of stuff constantly v:v:v

Cool LP, great voice, looking forward to the rest of it!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm always happy to see new Castlevania threads. You're doing a great job with the informative commentary so far.

I know alot of people give the Sorrow games a hard time because of the sequel, but man was this first one amazing at the time. The soul system was one of the best new things the series ever introduced, and I always remember how much more exciting that made this game on the first play through back then.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Been busy at the old nine-to-five lately, expect a new episode either tomorrow night or Tuesday.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This would a be a great metroidvania if the bosses were the slightest bit interesting. Also there's gross overuse of water-themed areas and platforming but that's later - most of it is pretty drat enjoyable.
edit: As for the LP, I only really have one complaint - it is customary to strike a silly pose whenever you pick up one of those health orbs.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 18, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Your commentary is genuinely great to listen to and despite playing this game to death I'm enjoying this a lot. Keep up the great work!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Sorrow games loving own and this is shaping up to be a great LP, I'll be following this for sure!

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

:siren: Behold! Like Dracula, I am reborn! And I come bearing updates :siren:

Episode 3A (Cutscene) - Meeting Graham
Episode 3 - Soma vs. The Manticore

I practiced that Manticore fight a lot. Don't expect the next boss to go so smoothly. The next few videos are all recorded, they just need commentary and editing. But I think we'll keep updates at one per day at maximum.

Btw this is what you get if you google image search "manticore."

Food for thought.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The manticore video is private.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

The manticore video is private.

Maybe try again? Youtube's telling me it's set to public.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It works now, I dunno what happened the first time. :shrug: That Manticore fight went so much smoother than mine do.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

It works now, I dunno what happened the first time. :shrug: That Manticore fight went so much smoother than mine do.

The trick with the Manticore seems to be staying in a position where you can backdash to that platform and jump on it if he charges up a mouth blast. They're harder to dodge when you're in his face wailing away. When you refight him souls that hit multiple times like the student witch help a lot. I can't wait to get more souls - the game is still just getting started and there's a lot of cool stuff later on.

Aria of Sorrow is a pretty good game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool, I didn't know you could get the manticore soul from this one. Saves you a bit of farming later on.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't know you could get the manticore soul from this one. Saves you a bit of farming later on.

If only I'd been so lucky with the Tsukinocho soul... :cry:

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

:spooky:New Episode Time!:spooky:

Today we're not fighting any bosses but we ARE exploring a new area!

Episode 04 - The Study

This game has catchy music. I'm whistling it to myself now. Hopefully new video tomorrow, but my work schedule may intervene. We shall see!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
If the trend continues, I predict that the final update of this LP will be just long enough to contain the second half the last sentence.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

The last video will actually just be 30 seconds of Soma getting juggled by Monster Graham's creepy fingers.

BTW can we talk about Bloodstained for a second? If you guys haven't seen this Kickstarter then hold on to your butts

Kickstarter posted:

*An exploration-focused, side-scrolling platformer featuring RPG and crafting elements.
*Koji Igarashi, the namesake of "Igavania"-style games, is leading the project, with Michiru Yamane composing the music and Inti Creates leading the development.
*If funded, the game will be developed for XBOX One, Playstation 4, and PC. For the first time on Kickstarter, backers will have the option to receive actual PS4 / XB1 / PC retail discs.

You are Miriam, an orphan scarred by an alchemist curse which slowly crystallizes your skin. You must battle your way through a demon-filled castle summoned by Gebel, your old friend whose body has become more crystal than flesh.

Blah blah blah crystals orphans whatever - I don't give a poo poo, it's a loving Koji Igarashi Castlevania-style game, so obviously I must have it. Good thing it literally hit its backer goal within days of opening. There's still nearly a month left and it has raised literally five times its intended amount. Wow. Imagine if people cared as much about real life charities as they do about Castlevania.

Anyway here's the link, give them money: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, that looks amazing.

Anyway, if it isn't too much of an issue, maybe you could try pacing your updates a bit more? Six minutes is awfully short when there doesn't seem to be any climactic moment or anything - you could have easily drawn that out until a next setpiece, area or cutscene thing. It's not bad - you're entertaining, technically your LP is very sound, but the extreme fragmentation does hurt the experience a bit. Just my opinion, though. Oh, and you got the wrong final boss planned.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Yeah these last two especially kind of grated on me how short they were - I just upgraded from a laptop with jack poo poo hard drive space to a Desktop with a TB hard drive so I'm still jumpy about recording too long. And how could I forget about the true final boss??? It's been forever since I beat this game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One of the already met funding goals for that Kickstarter is to have David Hayter voice Gebel, said Crystal Orphan friend.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

There's one short video left from this session, and I'll be recording more tomorrow evening, that batch oughta be more substantial I'm planning on making the whole Dance Hall one update, which should fill up time nicely. No update today, as I'll be working late.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Happy Saturday folks! Hope your 3-day weekend is off to a good start. And if you work in the Service industry then.... Happy Monday, basically. Here, have a video.

:sparkles: Episode 05 - Armor-Piercing Whip :sparkles:

I was getting feedback that the updates were too short so I banged my head against AviSynth for a while and eventually performed some successful video surgery. Future videos will be in the 15-minute range, give or take. Now to grind some souls - our collection is looking pretty pathetic.

See Below for the actual update

Captain Q fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Uh, it kinda sounds like you're missing your commentary.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Uh, it kinda sounds like you're missing your commentary.

Definitely. Thought it was maybe it was off at the start since it was a quick hop into a cut scene, but it never cut in.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Looks like my video surgery was not as successful as I had originally hoped. New version is encoding now, should be uploaded in a couple hours or so.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

This time with feeling:

:sparkles: Episode 05 - Armor-Piercing Whip :sparkles:

Soul grinding is well underway, by the by. Next time I record I will have every soul available up to this point in the game, so our options for both offense and defense have become quite a bit better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is my favorite Castlevania game (and, for my money, the best one) so I am happy I found this. Looking forward to seeing more!

E: In episode 3 I'm pretty sure you missed a secret room off the chamber where you get the Silk Robe :eng101: The ceiling is breakable though I could be thinking of a different area.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 28, 2015

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo this LP is still happening?

DID SOMEBODY SAY NEW VIDEO??? No? Well you're getting one anyway.

Episode 06 - The Ol' Duck-and-Dash

Not much else to say here. Stay tuned for some very exciting shenanigans next time. The Creaking Skull soul is especially good for a laugh. Next video may be finished by tomorrow night, if not then, you can expect it on Tuesday. Sunday and Monday are my biggest work days so I don't often have much time to edit Let's Play videos on those days.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This is a reasonably entertaining let's play! Thank you for the saturday entertainment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This starts showing where the game is really lazy. Throwing the golem boss fight right after the armor bossfight doesn't really help since you're not only fighting the same thing again but you're doing it right away.
They had really good ideas for the soul system but the castle itself is one of the worse ones in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

This starts showing where the game is really lazy. Throwing the golem boss fight right after the armor bossfight doesn't really help since you're not only fighting the same thing again but you're doing it right away.
They had really good ideas for the soul system but the castle itself is one of the worse ones in the series.

We haven't even begun to see the worst of it. Just wait til the Hanging Gardens! . For all its flaws I can't help but love it though

• Locked thread