Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pretty sure that was three level-ups in that video.

I thought it was sort of an interesting design choice to have the boss protecting the slide move be one that would've been made trivial if you already had the slide move going in, as opposed to the usual "Here's a new thing, and here's an enemy specifically weak to it to try it out on!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
After too long of a delay, I'm back with another video for you all:

Episode 07 - Exploring the Inner Quarters

Inner Quarters isn't much of an area. Really small if you ask me. That will not be a problem in the next episode, however.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Always pronounced the catoblepas pretty much how it's spelled. Cat-O-Blee-Pus but recently been hearing other pronunciations which is now throwing off the whole world view on this word.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Persephone, and their soul, are just the best. Alas, her crippling case of good manners renders their kung fu mostly useless.

Curly soul is also pretty hilarious. "-Is pretty hilarious" sums up a lot of souls, really. Which isn't a bad thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Dawn of Sorrow loving owns, it's my favourite Castlevania. I could never really get into Order of Ecclesia, and I have yet to try Portrait of Ruin (but I will this weekend, it just arrived!). Aria for me is like proto-Dawn, still slightly clunky, but overall really good and the perfect stepping stone.

A bit of criticism: you grinded out all of those souls and promised diversity, then you proceeded to use your sword for the first five minutes of the video. It got better at the end, but I'd appreciate if you mixed it up a little more now that you took the time to grind out all those options :).

Oh, and I don't know if it's the case in Aria too, but in Dawn at least Souls actually get better as you aquire more of them, so the extra Minotaur Soul would boost your STR more, and you could have gotten better drops if you had first farmed a few Dancer Souls. Should be an easy check if that was in Aria too (check the Minotaur STR boost), unless someone comes here and tells me I'm stupid or right :v:.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it works that way in aria too, except enemies actually drop souls in this game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ninjas are not a product of Kabuki theater. They are real assassins sent on secret missions to kill people.

It was popular in Kabuki theater to have the stagehands, dressed in all-black as they were, to act as "ninjas" in relative stories. Ninjas disguised themselves as part of the crowd, such as servants or other lowly people, to carry out their kills. The black-garb of ninjas comes from Kabuki theater, as they were meant to be "invisible forces" in some cases. For plays, this meant that stage-hands would "kill" the relevant characters, which was supposed to be interpreted as "an invisible person" since the stagehands dressed in black were meant to be unseen.

Later, western interpretation of these stagehands was assumed to mean "ninjas dressed in all-black" instead of "these ninja assassinations were so well-done and invisible that the only way to portray the ninja killing the person is by having the "ninja" in black garb, as if they were, to the audience, literally invisible"

Ninjas were still a very real thing and a very real type of assassin, just not the black-garbed stereotype we know of.

Other fun fact! Ninjas did not use katanas, or other "ninja swords". They used "ninjato", or in layman's terms, shanks. They were one-time-use sharpened metal weapons which they made out of whatever was convenient, or was already easily concealable and easy to prepare. They were left in the corpses afterward, as they were just hunks of metal. They were just one of many types of improvised, unassuming weapons which could be quickly used and easily forgotten.

This has been your weeaboo corner

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

A ninjato could cut through anything, even bullets

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you think the Tsuchinoko soul is hard to get, wait until you try hunting the elusive Sky Fish.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Dawn of Sorrow loving owns, it's my favourite Castlevania. I could never really get into Order of Ecclesia, and I have yet to try Portrait of Ruin (but I will this weekend, it just arrived!). Aria for me is like proto-Dawn, still slightly clunky, but overall really good and the perfect stepping stone.

A bit of criticism: you grinded out all of those souls and promised diversity, then you proceeded to use your sword for the first five minutes of the video. It got better at the end, but I'd appreciate if you mixed it up a little more now that you took the time to grind out all those options :).

Oh, and I don't know if it's the case in Aria too, but in Dawn at least Souls actually get better as you aquire more of them, so the extra Minotaur Soul would boost your STR more, and you could have gotten better drops if you had first farmed a few Dancer Souls. Should be an easy check if that was in Aria too (check the Minotaur STR boost), unless someone comes here and tells me I'm stupid or right :v:.

GulagDolls posted:

Actually, it does not; there are several souls for each stat that increase it by different amounts.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

GulagDolls posted:

Nope, extra copies of souls only has an effect for one soul in particular; otherwise they don't do anything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah my biggest gripe with Dawn is that you need so many souls if you want everything in the game (since all the worthwhile weapons requires souls to craft), but the drops rates are somehow worse than your normal Castlevania game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

Yeah my biggest gripe with Dawn is that you need so many souls if you want everything in the game (since all the worthwhile weapons requires souls to craft), but the drops rates are somehow worse than your normal Castlevania game.

It's because Luck in that game does not work.
Because of this:

gamefaqs posted:

For those among you who are a fan of hard numbers, here is the equation that determines your drop rate with the Luck stat factored in:

{100[(Drop Rate in Decimal Form)*12]} / [4096 -(LCK/2)]

So assuming a Luck stat of 36 (around what Luck is at level 60 or so), we can easily use this equation to see how our Luck affects the soul drop rate of the Zombie, which is 10% normally:

{100[(.1)*12]} / [4096 - (36/2)]

This yields an answer of 0.0294, or 2.94%. This takes that drop rate of 10% and turns it into a drop rate of 12.94%. Not bad.

Now just for sake of argument, let's place a maximum Luck stat (99) into the equation:

{100[(.1)*12]} / [4096 - (99/2)]

This yields a result of 0.0297, or 2.97%. All that work you're putting into that extra Luck doesn't seem so great now, does it? My guess is that either Konami isn't telling us something or that that 4096 value is far too high. Regardless, it's the best we have.

By the way, the Soul Eater Ring takes the final result and doubles it.

For the curious bunch among you who remember the original soul drop rates being double what they should have been and wonder whether or not items are also affected, item drop rates ARE correct. I've tested this by killing 1,000 Zombies with no Luck-boosters equipped, so I'm assuming that DJ's numbers aren't off with the listed item drops.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Looks like I'm late to the party since you're 7 parts in, but thanks for this. Aria's my favorite vania, personally.

One of the cool things I like is how the jump cancelling bug from SotN was reintroduced here as a game mechanic. In SotN, you could cancel your aerial attack animations by landing during an attack. In Aria, you can do the same thing, but only with certain weapons (usually the lighter ones), which is cool as hell. It means they can balance the heavier weapons by giving them more attack power but taking away their ability to jump cancel.

it's a pretty minor thing but it shows that they paid a lot of attention to the ups and downs of SotN's combat system and played upon them perfectly when designing Aria's.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 5, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dotchan posted:

Nope, extra copies of souls only has an effect for one soul in particular; otherwise they don't do anything.

looks like I'm either misremembering or I played a great prank on myself ten years ago

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you played Dawn? The only soul in this one that does anything with numbers is Headhunter.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I played both. I feel like I recall trying to get multiples of souls in aria but I guess I was just getting the two games mixed up.

I played dawn fairly recently though so I still have traumatic memories of....no soul drops. really feels like that should have been the game where multiples of souls didn't matter.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
They say that if you want to know the answer to a question, don't ask the internet - post the wrong answer instead.

I now know lots more about ninjas!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Q posted:

They say that if you want to know the answer to a question, don't ask the internet - post the wrong answer instead.

I now know lots more about ninjas!

Ninjas are the only cool thing about Japan, as westerners understand it. Samurai? Those katanas didn't see much use. You either used a pike or your gun. They were about as useful as sabers/cutlasses/whatever that officers in our military use. Purely a decorative badge of honor to say "this is a samurai sword, for I am a samurai"

Similarly, the bushido code wasn't even a thing that existed for a long time and is an eastern romanticization of samurai being honorable warriors who fought for glory. In reality, war is war is war and the men with pikes on horses with rifles strapped to their backs killed lots of people because that is how wars were won. Not with glory, honor, etc but through weapons technology, strategy, and brutal slaughter.

One other cool thing ninjas did was poison people. A lot. A famous depiction I love is a bit hyperbolic, but ninja as gently caress--sneak into the rafters of your target's house while he slept, dangle a string above his open mouth, and drip poison onto the string. It drips down the string, falls as droplets into his mouth, and voila! They're dead as they smack their lips and swallow while they sleep.

I don't know the accuracy of that assassination method, but it's hard as gently caress to discover given the forensics of the time, and the idea of a ninja's most lethal weapon being a piece of string makes me giggle :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

death .cab for qt posted:

I don't know the accuracy of that assassination method, but it's hard as gently caress to discover given the forensics of the time, and the idea of a ninja's most lethal weapon being a piece of string makes me giggle :allears:

Little known ancient ninja technique. Put a knife into a sleeping man's hands. Tickle his nose with a feather, and he shall stab himself in the face. This was not linked to ninjas because this clever method ensured everyone thought it was a clear case of suicide.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

One other cool thing ninjas did was poison people. A lot. A famous depiction I love is a bit hyperbolic, but ninja as gently caress--sneak into the rafters of your target's house while he slept, dangle a string above his open mouth, and drip poison onto the string. It drips down the string, falls as droplets into his mouth, and voila! They're dead as they smack their lips and swallow while they sleep.

None of this makes sense, and it sounds like you're repeating what you saw in a Shogun Total War assassination video. How is a ninja getting into someone's rafters in their bedroom without going through their door? If poisoning via this method was so common, why design buildings where this can happen so easily? If you can get that close to a sleeping target, why not drip the poison directly in his mouth, stab him, smother him, or do literally anything else other than hoping the string doesn't just absorb all of the poison you're dripping down it? Surely capillary action isn't a ninja's worst enemy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's just a thing that's been in a number of kung fu movies and other media depicting sick ninja assassinations I've seen, and I basically prefaced the whole scenario as "probably not real but stupidly awesome"

Edit: So I did some more looking into the history behind this method of assassination. It's one of those self-boasting ninja legends attributed to Ishikawa Goemon, who is the inspiration behind that exact Goemon, Mystical Ninja you are thinking of. It's such a well-known trope of ninja-killing that it was used in a James Bond film, among the other martial arts movies I've seen, and gets referenced a ton in books which delve into the history of ninjutsu and highlight famous ninjas throughout Japanese history.

Did it actually happen? Who knows, probably not, it's the exact kind of thing that would be made up and attributed to a real person in the interest of making them a legendary figure. Is it awesome as gently caress? You bet your rear end :ocelot:

bawk fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 5, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

did ninjas beat people over the head with giant pipes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

did ninjas beat people over the head with giant pipes

No, they were foiled in this attempt by the squeaky floors their targets would install to vex them

Squeaky floors were overpowered

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

kongurous posted:

None of this makes sense, and it sounds like you're repeating what you saw in a Shogun Total War assassination video. How is a ninja getting into someone's rafters in their bedroom without going through their door? If poisoning via this method was so common, why design buildings where this can happen so easily? If you can get that close to a sleeping target, why not drip the poison directly in his mouth....

Because you might miss!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To rafters, you go from roof. Break in with tiny ninja saws. This counteract squeaky floor. If they have squeaky roof, you poison their sushi. Hai.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 5, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

So I started playing PoR and so far I really like it! The level design is refreshingly there after OoE's vast stretches of nothing happening, the bosses err on the side of piss-easy which I'm more than okay after OoE's insane slugfests and the combat system is unique and not overcomplex.

If you care for story (why would you, though), you should give it a pass; it's loving terrible and far too much so far. But whatever.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

So I started playing PoR and so far I really like it! The level design is refreshingly there after OoE's vast stretches of nothing happening, the bosses err on the side of piss-easy which I'm more than okay after OoE's insane slugfests and the combat system is unique and not overcomplex.

If you care for story (why would you, though), you should give it a pass; it's loving terrible and far too much so far. But whatever.
PoR is awesome. The weapon variety in that game is just insane. I spent so many hours playing around with all of the different main weapon/subweapon types to find combos I enjoyed using the most. There's something like 7 or 8 main weapon types and a ludicrous amount of subweapons.

I just hope you're not a completionist like me or you're going to find yourself grinding all your subweapons to Master level in order to make your menus look clean and pretty.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

... which I'm more than okay after OoE's insane slugfests and the combat system is unique and not overcomplex.

THAT loving CRAB

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
I think Portrait is my favorite of the whole series. The partner gimmick is interesting and my preferred way to play the game is with Charlotte only on hard, which is a challenge but super fun. I don't know what they were trying to do with Ecclesia but it's my least favorite by a mile.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

zh1 posted:

I think Portrait is my favorite of the whole series. The partner gimmick is interesting and my preferred way to play the game is with Charlotte only on hard, which is a challenge but super fun. I don't know what they were trying to do with Ecclesia but it's my least favorite by a mile.

Ecclesia's saving grace is the variety of available weapons, but the world is so split up and the glyph combinations are so pointless that there's little to no reason not to just equip your strongest rapier glyphs and just spam R-L-R-L-R-L as fast as you can on every enemy.

One man's opinion, and all that. A new episode of this thread's game was recorded today. Hopefully I'll have some time after work tomorrow to record commentary but I'm not making any promises!

Captain Q fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 7, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Do you need more ninja facts :unsmigghh:

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Do you need more ninja facts :unsmigghh:

I'm not your manager, do what you want.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Captain Q posted:

Ecclesia's saving grace is the variety of available weapons, but the world is so split up and the glyph combinations are so pointless that there's little to no reason not to just equip your strongest rapier glyphs and just spam R-L-R-L-R-L as fast as you can on every enemy.

One man's opinion, and all that. A new episode of this thread's game was recorded today. Hopefully I'll have some time after work tomorrow to record commentary but I'm not making any promises!
It was a good idea, but I found the execution completely nonsensical. They upped the difficulty and then weakened your individual weapons, necessitating a more aggressive style of play and then punishing it? So I have to get in the enemy's face to kill it, but it does a ton of damage to me if I get hit?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The best thing about OoE was everything! :colbert: There's a reason why Bloodstained is having a female protagonist. Because Iga was like "Shanoe is the best don't you ever forget. OoE was the best casletvania ever made. Blaze it" I'm of-course paraphrasing.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

Zain posted:

The best thing about OoE was everything! :colbert: There's a reason why Bloodstained is having a female protagonist. Because Iga was like "Shanoe is the best don't you ever forget. OoE was the best casletvania ever made. Blaze it" I'm of-course paraphrasing.

I definitely like Shanoa a lot tbh. She has a lot of character and her interactions with some of the villagers are great. Definitely a stronger personality than Soma has in this game. I'm very glad of the development he gets in DoS.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like OoE, but it definitely went for some changes to the Igavania style pacing and difficulty-wise and I can understand why it would throw some folks off.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would like to say that if you do not set your Luck to something like 5000, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Unless grinding is your thing.

It doesn't even affect anything but drop rates since critical hits aren't a thing, if I recall.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

zh1 posted:

It was a good idea, but I found the execution completely nonsensical. They upped the difficulty and then weakened your individual weapons, necessitating a more aggressive style of play and then punishing it? So I have to get in the enemy's face to kill it, but it does a ton of damage to me if I get hit?

To be fair, the other Igavania games are mostly easy as hell. IMO OoE upped the ante when it came to enemy and boss design, but some of the levels were literally flat fields so I can't praise it unconditionally. I do prefer it to SotN, for instance, which is so easy I beat half the bosses by running at them and spamming attacks wildly. Way too many things in that game do gently caress all on a hit, even bosses. OoE is hard enough that you actually have to learn attack patterns and adapt your glyph setup to the challenge at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love OoE, it's probably my favorite Castlevania. Having to actually think about how you approach a room was a nice change from the standard blazing-through-oneshotting-everything CV gameplay.

And don't tell me slamming an elevator into Giant Enemy Crab wasn't satisfying as hell.

• Locked thread