Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arcsig
May 29, 2015

Looks like I'm late to the party since you're 7 parts in, but thanks for this. Aria's my favorite vania, personally.

One of the cool things I like is how the jump cancelling bug from SotN was reintroduced here as a game mechanic. In SotN, you could cancel your aerial attack animations by landing during an attack. In Aria, you can do the same thing, but only with certain weapons (usually the lighter ones), which is cool as hell. It means they can balance the heavier weapons by giving them more attack power but taking away their ability to jump cancel.

it's a pretty minor thing but it shows that they paid a lot of attention to the ups and downs of SotN's combat system and played upon them perfectly when designing Aria's.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

So I started playing PoR and so far I really like it! The level design is refreshingly there after OoE's vast stretches of nothing happening, the bosses err on the side of piss-easy which I'm more than okay after OoE's insane slugfests and the combat system is unique and not overcomplex.

If you care for story (why would you, though), you should give it a pass; it's loving terrible and far too much so far. But whatever.
PoR is awesome. The weapon variety in that game is just insane. I spent so many hours playing around with all of the different main weapon/subweapon types to find combos I enjoyed using the most. There's something like 7 or 8 main weapon types and a ludicrous amount of subweapons.

I just hope you're not a completionist like me or you're going to find yourself grinding all your subweapons to Master level in order to make your menus look clean and pretty.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Valgaav posted:

You sort of pointed it out yourself during the playthrough: The soul grinding has given you quite a few levels, eradicating the difficulty curve of the game. The only payoff we potentially have for it is a chance to see ALL THE SOULS. It feels like it would do better with a normal playthrough at the soul level the game 'expects' you to be at, and then have supplementary videos of you using all the souls or a high-level high-soul run.
Perhaps refrain from soul grinding until the end of the game and show off some more of the souls in new game+? I don't know, just an idea.

• Locked thread