Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Just recalling all the dumbshit of the 80's/90's/ early 00's of IT/Technology

Remember when you had to blow out a VHS or N64, or even had to tune a UHF/VHF?

When having 64MB of ram and a dual 56k connection was bad rear end?

Or playing HL2 on an ATI x300 and P4 @ 1.6ghz with 512MB ram

Man AOL 8.0 owns I can login to cartoonnetwork and play dexters labyrinth so much faster!

This thread is to talk about all the BS you did when you got into IT in your early years (or as normies call it hipstering).

Thread music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UY7eDRXrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRL5durPleI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Remember when Zip Disks were a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37rLJjP0kWk

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

IT BURNS posted:

I remember taking my Zip drive to work and attaching it to my work PC via parallel port, downloading game demos and patches, then taking them home to install on my home PC. We had a blazing fast T1 connection at work.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
IPv6 is going to completely replace IPv4 within a few years!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Having to upgrade your 486 to a 486DX to play Duke Nukem was pretty dope when you're 8

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I remember sourcing parts for the first computer I built with my dad. We were debating between, if memory serves, a 4gb, 6gb, and 10gb hard drive to purchase. I distinctly remember little me telling my dad we didn't need the largest drive because "there's no way we'll ever use that much space!"

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
When I first heard somebody had a gigabyte hard drive my mind was blown. That's a billion bytes! Also we'd unironically get a computer with matching speakers. I think people still do that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Super Slash posted:

Having to upgrade your 486 to a 486DX to play Duke Nukem was pretty dope when you're 8

fuckin' overdrive chips man those were the days

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I remember those computers with the turbo buttons on the front. I don't think they actually did anything.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

high six posted:

I remember those computers with the turbo buttons on the front. I don't think they actually did anything.

They actually did - "off" would slow down your computer from it's normal frequency for compatibility with old software. Although some buttons weren't even connected from the factory.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
You can tell how long someone's been in computing in my city based on what people call things. Is it a datacenter or a computer room? Do they refer to it as data processing, computer services, or IT?

Also, bus & tag cabling.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
AOL 4.0 still works on Windows 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1tLxfdif4

The same guy has a bunch of videos about weird or obsolete technology that he has. For example, he has the Nvidia card that rendered everything in quads. It came with a Sega Saturn controller and 3 ported Saturn games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jChtlWNIAL4

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

IT BURNS posted:

I went to college in the days when students in certain fields routinely walked around with more than 1.44MB of work-related files, but before USB drives came on the scene. Though I'm pretty sure the internal drives (which pretty much every lab computer in my school had) didn't eject quite that hard.

I also remember a number of other storage technologies attempting to help bridge that gap - Jaz disks, SuperDisk, CD burners with no buffer underrun protection burning blank CDs costing several dollars...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Pfft I remember when this was first posted on Facepunch when I was 16. I hung out that IT forum WAAAY to much.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Most 90's case design?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Most 90's case design?

Where is the turbo button?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Turbo was too much for that case to handle man.

That wide base was great though.

You could give it a pretty decent kick and it'd still stay standing upright.

Best door stop too.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Upgrading from 4 megs of RAM to 8 megs. Awesome, the last level of Doom II is playable now!

Programmers doing godly stuff in only 64K. My first CD-ROM drive was single-speed, and set me back $250.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I remember spending my life posting to Icrontic, and before that when it was APUsHardware. Oh, and getting Bannited over at HardOCP during the Pentium 4 benchmark fiasco thing.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 17, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

rockinricky posted:

Programmers doing godly stuff in only 64K. My first CD-ROM drive was single-speed, and set me back $250.

I had a double-speed drive that plugged into the end of an ISA Soundblaster card

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
config.sys and autoexec.bat shaving some KBs to get DOOM running with sound in 4MB RAM. :( God I am glad those days are gone.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
First machine I ever used was a 286 when I was five. First one I built was a pentium 90, I think.

As a weird as it sounds, the only remaining picture of my family is a christmas picture of me unboxing an ATX motherboard and holding it on my lap next to a sister; other sisters and mom were on the floor. I still had hair, too!

Now I really miss how easy it was to play pickup Descent/ D II pickup with bots or anarchy on minerva.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I remember spending my life posting to Icrontic, and before that when it was APUsHardware. Oh, and getting Bannited over at HardOCP during the Pentium 4 benchmark fiasco thing.

I remember people getting banned from the HardOCP forums simply for mentioning that they used a non-Ratpadz mouse pad. I think Ratpadz was one of their sponsors at the time.

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Or playing HL2 on an ATI x300 and P4 @ 1.6ghz with 512MB ram

This wasn't even that long ago OP is a phony.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

rockinricky posted:

I remember people getting banned from the HardOCP forums simply for mentioning that they used a non-Ratpadz mouse pad. I think Ratpadz was one of their sponsors at the time.
Ratpadz is owned by the founder of HardOCP, Kyle Bennett. "KB Accessories" is his company. For current hilarity, check out their review of the Corsair AX1500i power supply, in particular how pissy they get about being blacklisted from Corsair review samples for their bias.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Wish I still had the config.sys/autoexec.bat where I managed to pull this off:
pre:
Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name           Total       =   Conventional   +   Upper Memory
  --------  ----------------   ----------------   ----------------
  MSDOS       16,541   (16K)     16,541   (16K)          0    (0K)
  HIMEM        1,168    (1K)      1,168    (1K)          0    (0K)
  EMM386       4,144    (4K)      4,144    (4K)          0    (0K)
  COMMAND      2,928    (3K)      2,928    (3K)          0    (0K)
  TCPTSR      77,056   (75K)        272    (0K)     76,784   (75K)
  TINYRFC     18,496   (18K)        272    (0K)     18,224   (18K)
  NMTSR        6,160    (6K)      6,160    (6K)          0    (0K)
  ANSI         4,240    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,240    (4K)
  KEYB         7,856    (8K)          0    (0K)      7,856    (8K)
  DOSKEY       4,144    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,144    (4K)
  NEMM           672    (1K)          0    (0K)        672    (1K)
  UMB            688    (1K)          0    (0K)        688    (1K)
  SHSUCDX      5,808    (6K)          0    (0K)      5,808    (6K)
  CTMOUSE      3,328    (3K)          0    (0K)      3,328    (3K)
  OAKCDROM    28,912   (28K)          0    (0K)     28,912   (28K)
  IFSHLP       4,000    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,000    (4K)
  PROTMAN        400    (0K)          0    (0K)        400    (0K)
  RTSND       32,784   (32K)          0    (0K)     32,784   (32K)
  TCPDRV       1,328    (1K)          0    (0K)      1,328    (1K)
  Free       625,904  (611K)    623,744  (609K)      2,160    (2K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory       Total   =    Used    +    Free
  ----------------  ----------   ----------   ----------
  Conventional         655,360       31,616      623,744
  Upper                191,328      189,168        2,160
  Reserved                   0            0            0
  Extended (XMS)    66,852,000      316,576   66,535,424
  ----------------  ----------   ----------   ----------
  Total memory      67,698,688      537,360   67,161,328

Total under 1 MB     846,688      220,784      625,904

Largest executable program size        623,552   (609K)
  Largest free upper memory block          1,424     (1K)
  MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.
CD, Mouse, Keyb, DosKey, ANSI AND Windows networking, and still over 600K of conventional memory to play with, on DOS 6.2 (though admittedly I stole a few drivers from FreeDOS to do this)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Talk poo poo to me on IRC and I'm going to WinNuke your rear end, buddy.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Mitnick could whistle into a phone and launch ICBMs.

True story.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
My first computer as a kid was a Tandy 1000 with an 8 MHz 286 and 640k of RAM, running MS-DOS. When my parents replaced it with a 166 MHz Pentium running Windows 95 my mind was completely loving blown. I thrashed that thing to within an inch of its life playing whatever I could on it. What a great machine. I used it until 2002.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Finding out what a LAN was while attempting to play X-Wing Alliance online.

Spending hours trying to figure out why I was crashing to desktop while playing Half Life 2. I think it was a driver conflict or something.

Finding out that power supplies need upgrading after installing my new Nvidia GS7x00 and having the computer suddenly turn off with a puff of smoke out of the back of the case.

Edit: Yes, I'm in my 20s. That was my first IT experience, breaking and then fixing my cheapo Dell.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 18, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sometimes I miss the crazy off the wall antics of early electronics. The industry was in it's infancy and companies could spring up out of nowhere and throw something against the wall and see what would stick. I can remember back in the day when the tower case design became a selling point! Used to be you would use the desktop as a monitor stand, I can even remember some models that had the power and ups built into the monitor for some odd reason.

I can even remember the crazy marketing bullshit of this guy:

Why yes I would like to take the extra effort to view more advertising!

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sometimes I miss the crazy off the wall antics of early electronics. The industry was in it's infancy and companies could spring up out of nowhere and throw something against the wall and see what would stick. I can remember back in the day when the tower case design became a selling point! Used to be you would use the desktop as a monitor stand, I can even remember some models that had the power and ups built into the monitor for some odd reason.

Haha I remember my dad bringing home a handful of those from work, briefly trying it, seeing if he could use them for anything else, then throwing them all away.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

CueCats . . . er, sorry, ":CueCats" were awesome if you used third-party software with them. I had a bunch of barcodes for automating poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is that? I see an attempted cat-like but getting more phallic PS/2 to USB adapter?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I still have my SGI O2 with badass 21 inch Sony Trinitron monitor and I wish I had room to have it sit on display :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What is that? I see an attempted cat-like but getting more phallic PS/2 to USB adapter?

It's a barcode reader. That particular one is an inline PS/2 model, but they also had a separate USB model that they released later. The idea was that you'd be sitting and reading a magazine in front of your computer (because that's where it's hooked up, of course), see an ad you want to know more about, and then scan a barcode on it which would take you to a site with more advertising. The company that made those spent millions on manufacturing the readers and giving them away for free with magazines and at Radio Shacks.

Needless to say, they went bankrupt very quickly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Makes sense to me. I'm used to pointing my dick at things to learn more about them.

I still have my 21-inch Cornerstone P1500 monitor I got from a dumpster.

I still use the 21-inch Cornerstone P1500 monitor I got from a dumpster.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ghostinmyshell posted:

I still have my SGI O2 with badass 21 inch Sony Trinitron monitor and I wish I had room to have it sit on display :smith:

Was that the wide screen Trini? I'd like to have that if I had the space too. I was once given the opportunity to have 2 of the wide Sonys but I passed. I want to make my office at work just like the Jurassic Park control room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The idea of a barcode reader isn't wholly bad, it came way too early and in a clumsy fashion. QR Codes are really useful but I only use them because my phone has the function built in. If I had to buy a device to use them I'd never do so. The modern init system for Linux actually renders a QR code during a kernel package instead of forcing you to scribble down stuff.

• Locked thread