Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I used a TI-84 in college math classes just 2 or 3 years ago. The majority of calculators there were Ti-84's. I don't think it'll ever die.

I used the TI-89, primarily because the whole algebraic equation solver was a godsend in class.

The thing about TI calculators is you basically can't kill them. I remember dropping my calculator down whole stairwells without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Yudo posted:

What I don't get is that those calculators cost about the same as a student license of Maple or Mathematica, both vastly more capable and easier to use. My only fond memories of using a TI-8x was playing Drug Wars in geometry.

SATs. You get the calculators for SAT testing basically because smartphones and the calculator computers (TI INSPIRE if I remember right) can be used for cheating. ACTs don't allow the computer algebraic solver TI-89 equivalents though.

Funnily enough SATs and ACTs never had you wipe your calculator memory before you started testing so you could load it up with all sorts of formula and tips beforehand.

• Locked thread