Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Psykmoe posted:

Hell yeah, I love Albion. Played through it a couple of times. Thought I had put it on the LP request list a few years back. I think that was my first computer RPG, my mother bought it for her...Pentium 90 I think.

Semi-spoilery questions for the future:

Are you planning to use the cursor range exploit to steal stuff from stores?

Are you going to grind money and experience before leaving the first continent so you can buy good equipment for your Iskai you won't get on the second (and first half of the third) continent, and grind up the first caster's level/spells while having stores with infinite magic seeds available?

Are you gonna grind money on the second continent (for example on bandits) to be able to buy all the cool odds and ends from the shop in the town south of the bandit chasm and maybe level up your second caster?

Also when I was watching Cameron's Avatar it kept seeming like they cribbed half of the alien planet and culture straight from Albion :v:

Yes to the first question, probably to the second, yes to the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Oh yeah, I have to agree with the posters on the previous page that Rainer is a really nice character. He's so fascinated by everything. I really like the dialogue system in this game and how much you can talk with party members. Ton of good world building.

I'm also gonna be interested in the quality of the translation since the game was designed in German and there have been some god awful English localizations for German games.

Alas, because Rainer is basically an aging scientist he's kinda lovely in combat and even leveling up he can't become all that good with sort of low skill caps. Makes sense of course.

Tom's class is Pilot. He has higher skill caps than Rainer but he's never gonna be as fast as a trained Iskai combatant. On the other hand he's a human in peak physical condition and I seem to remember him being quite a bit sturdier than almost any other later character because Iskai aren't built as robust as humans. I may be misremembering, but to go into detail would be spoiling things.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Oh yeah, I have to agree with the posters on the previous page that Rainer is a really nice character. He's so fascinated by everything. I really like the dialogue system in this game and how much you can talk with party members. Ton of good world building.

I'm also gonna be interested in the quality of the translation since the game was designed in German and there have been some god awful English localizations for German games.

Alas, because Rainer is basically an aging scientist he's kinda lovely in combat and even leveling up he can't become all that good with sort of low skill caps.

Tom's class is Pilot. He has higher skill caps than Rainer but he's never gonna be as fast as a trained Iskai combatant. On the other hand he's a human in peak physical condition and I seem to remember him being quite a bit sturdier than almost any other later character because Iskai aren't built as robust as humans. I may be misremembering, but to go into detail would be spoiling things.

You're underestimating Rainer for one reason. Like Tom, he's a Terran. Tom is tough as nails, so he's going to be spending time in first row being big and beefy and waving swords around. Guess what that leaves for Rainer's hands.

Tom is good no matter what you get him to do. Rainer is terrible at fighting unless you hand him the gun, in which case he's terrifying. But I'm getting there. Not this update, not going to spend cartridges on these fellas, but in the future.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Well, it's true about the gun, mostly because it gives huge bonuses to ranged combat that ignore skill caps and only trained humans can use it, but I'm one of those RPG idiots who only uses rare stuff if they absolutely have to so Rainer was usually scrubbing it up with a short bow or something while I saved my bullets :pseudo:

But yes. The pistol is great whenever you use it.

Turned out to be for the best on my first playthrough. I didn't do any grinding so my Fighter's gear was poo poo and my spells were weak so that major dungeon crawl on the second continent was nightmarish without good spells or gear. But all are equal before the gun :v:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Combat and exploration

When we last left off, we were in the supply cellars below the South Wind Clan House, and a wall had collapsed behind us while monsters come from the front. Somewhat contrived, but I'll take it.
Before we get going, let's look at our characters and their stats.

CLO and LON are respectively Close combat and Long range combat. They are your accuracy values. So what we can see is that both Tom and Rainer are better at close combat than long range combat, but Rainer is kind of bad at both. If you squint a little you can also see that Rainer's caps are awful. He's got a cap of 40 in both CLO and LON, whereas Tom has a current value of 35 in CLO and a cap of 80. Rainer is never going to be a good fighter. Compounding this issue is his low STR and SPD (not that Tom is fast), but together they ensure that he's not hitting particularly hard nor is he ever going to move faster than anyone.

I have equipped Tom with a sword doing 8 damage and Rainer with a small axe doing 5. People who know this game will notice that in the picture of Tom's inventory, there's a Double Stab in the lower left corner of the stuff he's got. This is entirely not deliberate, it's me being an idiot because that weapon would have made Rainer vaguely more deadly. Vaguely. Not much. The gun, for those who are wondering, has a whopping 30 attack and adds 30 to your LON. Even Rainer can be made into a god of death with that in his hands.

Help help we're being attacked! These particular monsters are called Skrinn. They don't drop anything, they don't do an awful lot of damage, but they're fast as gently caress. On the other hand... we currently don't have any armor, so their light but fast attacks will probably hurt like crap.

And here's the battle screen. The way battles play out each turn is that each character chooses what to do (attack - move - do nothing) for now. Then the actions resolve in order of speed. Note that I have left Rainer and Tom in their default positions, Tom far to the left and Rainer at the bottom right. Why not concentrate my firepower? Well, here's the deal. Drinking potions is a free action. As long as no one goes down, you can hypothetically heal everyone to full health by chainchugging potions. So the strategy is simply to minimise the odds of the worst-case scenario of everyone murdering one character.
Having survived this terrible onslaught, we check out the collapsed wall behind us.

I guess we don't have anything we can use. Alas, we're trapped forever unless there happens to be an emergency tool down here to save us.

Literally in the neighbouring room there is this chest. Containing a pickaxe. There's also a bunch of pots with food, but we're already approaching our weight cap. Rainer doesn't contribute much to carrying. Tom can carry 42 kg, Rainer is stuck with 28.

Returning to the wall with the pickaxe prompts Tom to speak up.

We can. We don't though. There must be more in here, right?

First of all, those are some weird looking mushrooms, and it is a shame that we cannot eat them. Secondly, help, more skrinn.

Hurray for in-combat drinking!

Enemy animations are actually not half bad. They make cool scratches in the air and stuff. Note that these guys would probably quite literally do no damage if it weren't for the fact that we're fighting them wearing nothing but overalls and shoes.

They die. Skrinn give 20 exp per skrinn. Currently they're straight up existential threats to us. Once we get actual equipment, we're going to consider these worthless trash.

Tom and Rainer both net a level. It's pretty obvious that Rainer is just in no way able to match Tom in any combat-related way. This is okay, Rainer is the greatest scientist anyway.

Searching a bit more leads to even more Skrinn. They die dutifully, but we're starting to run low on health drinks.
In the back of a cave we see this sight.

That looks surprisingly much like the wall that caved in on us. In fact it looks so much like it that we might as well pickaxe it.

And we do. There's not so much stuff in there...except for yet another pickaxable wall.

So we strike down that wall as well. In here, there's actual goddamn gear! We outfit Rainer with a Heavy Short Sword of 8 attack and a leather shield for +5 defence, taking him from 2 to 7. Tom gets a studded cap and a leather shield for altogether +9 defence, taking him from 3 to 12. It is very likely that he would be immune to skrinn at this point. I wanted to test it out, but while we were mostly out of healing potions, we were also out of Skrinn.

We march back out, pickaxe the collapsed wall

and climb the beautifully illuminated stairs.

We're free! We survived our first encounter with combat.

Outside the basement we meet up with this fellow again.

Rainer gives a thorough report on what happened in the cellar. Wrinn seems a bit embarrassed.

How terrible this had to happen to you! This house is very old and the cellar has just been rebuilt. Apparently, we have now come close to older areas which are animal-infested. Has any one of you been injured?

Here we have a choice. Either we can tell him that there's no problem, in which case he'll be relieved, or we can say "I'm afraid so", in which case he'll give us a healing potion. So really there's only one real choice. Especially because both of them got hurt pretty bad several times down there.

I'm really sorry about that! Here, take this medicine, Rainer, it will help you!

Wrinn hands Rainer a flask.

I'm glad you have survived this adventure, friends. We didn't nurse you back to health just so you could then be eaten by the animals in our house! Don't let it upset your plans any further, but be careful in the cellar! Who knows how long it will take before we find all the uninvited visitors there?

Aw, he cares. How nice of him.

Rainer please never stop.

This is where that hellishly hot stuff they fed us came from.
I love spicy food. We can't say it hurt us.
You didn't spend weeks with a bucket... well let's change the subject.

These Iskai are friendly, but not particularly helpful.

This guy was mentioned by another Iskai in update 3. He's the master of the hunt and everything. If you want to know stuff about creatures, he's the man to ask. Except for Skrinn. So he's actually entirely useless to us right now. I'm mainly including him because of this.

You would decline the ritual, Krinn? May we ask why?

That is a matter of my personal beliefs. In general, it is assumed that a newborn does not have its own personality. Nevertheless, to me it would seem as if I were extinguishing a life.
Apart from that, I've had a full life and do not fear its end.

So yeah, Krinn objects to the Sebai ritual for personal reasons. I always thought it was pretty cool to have a character who was actually awarded with the option of prolonging his life for 40 years or so and couldn't do it, even if it is a great honor in Iskai society.

The stairs behind Krinn lead to the resting area of the clan house. There is not really much of interest there. So since we, at this point, have mostly cleared out the South Wind Clan, let's leave into the beautiful city of Jirinaar.

The door is locked, but as with the cellar door, the key we got from Wrinn opens it. The very moment we step outside we're accosted by this gentleman.

He's offering to take us directly to the Sebainah, but that would be plot, and we don't want to do plot right now. Let's say no thanks.

Thank you, first we would like to look around the city a little.

Note, the reason why it is Rainer answering is because I have him as party leader right now. It really doesn't matter (much) who is in the lead, but I like Rainer more than Tom so there.

Examining the shield next to the door tells us this. How helpful!

Wandering around the city brings us to this building.

It's the house of weapons, and the guy in there sells...weapons and armor.

Most of this is solely usable by Iskai characters however. Way to be subtle, game. We buy nothing and leave. After all, why would we need weapons? This place is very peaceful and pretty.

Wandering around also takes us to this fella.

He's helpful, unlike most other Iskai who are exactly as helpful as each other.

I hope your journey was successful?
Oh, I'm happy to have gotten back alive. At the beginning of the journey I was near the haunted place where old Argim used to roam.

There are some very strange predators there.

What do you know about Predators
Yes, most of them are very aggressive. The worst was a creature with a mouth in the floor and a couple of glowing, grasping arms. It was insatiable, I tell you! Fortunately I discovered a fruit which paralyzed it.
What do you know about Fruit
The're inedible, but in an encounter with these mouths they're very useful. I'd be glad to let you have some, for a reasonable price.

This guy will sell us anti-mouth-on-the-floor-that-really-loving-hurt fruits at the cost of 40 gold per five fruits. While it's not a bad bargain per se, we have around 115 gold at the moment. We'll probably come back once it's actually relevant to us.

We visit the local inn.

This is true. Sampling a country's native food is always a good idea. I question whether this necessarily holds true when in space, but I guess they've survived this far. The owners are a husband and wife couple, but unless you want to buy rations or rest, they're not particularly useful.

This Iskai also seems to find their food a bit dodgy. Oh well.

The city gates. Leaving here leads us into the wilderness. While that would probably be exciting and all, we've got people to meet.

Across this bridge is the council building. When we want to talk to the Sebainah, this is where we go. We still have plenty of people to talk to though.

This building is the house of the Dji-Kas. I would have taken a picture of the sign but for some reason the writing on the sign is all wonky in my game, colour-wise.

Rejira, the healer, eh? Let's go talk to her.

She'll heal you at a reasonable price, and sell potions to you at a reasonable price. One of the most important bugs in the game revolves around her though. Each time you say goodbye to her you either get this:

It was nice talking to you. Take care of yourselves!

or this

Oh wait, I believe I have a little present here for you.

She hands you a blue healing potion which will heal a large percentage of your health. There's no cap to it, so she might just do it forever as long as you keep talking to her and ending the conversation. These potions are also kind of valuable, so you can also break the game's economy entirely.

Let's check in with some other people.

Sira is a nice lady.

Your cheerfulness is infectious, Sira. Is there a special reason for it?
Oh, they tell me I have a happy nature. Also I have recently learned from Sebai Fasiir that I may take the examination for the lowest rank of a Stri-Dji-Kas. I'm so happy about that because I haven't been with the Dji-Kas all that long. I have always looked for something I'm good at. Now it has turned out to be magic, and I'm very happy about that.
What can you say about Fasiir
Sebai-fre Fasiir has directed our guild for over 120 years. He is a living legend among the Dji-Kas and an outstanding teacher.

Magic, eh? Let's try asking her about that.

What can you say about magic

Our magic is deeply rooted in this world. For example, all of our spells require us to concentrate our spiritual forces in a special kind of seed. We are also proud of the diversity of our craft. We know magic for creating and destroying, for injuring and for healing. As a sign of our guild, we wear a special colored pattern on our pelts. The leader of the Dji-Kas is Sebai-fre Fasiir. He spends his entire time in the guild house.

Well, we can't allow Sira to monopolise our time. We have people to talk to, you know?

Oh.

Hmm, that fellow didn't appear to be in a good mood, don't you think Hofstedt?
Agreed. But after all, not everyone can be in a good mood. The Iskai seem to be even more emotional than humans.

This door leads to the head honcho of the Dji-Kas, the ancient, even in human terms, Sebai-Fre-Fasiir.

I'd be glad to try, Fasiir.

I thank you for your willingness to satisfy my curiosity.

Rainer begins to speak.

We call it technology. There are advanced machines which enable us to travel through the air and from world to world. They are based primarily on simple principles, however...

It is a long explanation, often interrupted by Fasiir's surprisingly discerning questions. Then he says:

That is astonishing. If I understand correctly, your machines draw energy form matter, without having to resort to spiritual or magical means!

Rainer interjects.

Excuse me, Fasiir. I have heard you and other Iskai talk about magic, and it doesn't seem to fit in with the otherwise open nature of your people. We have relegated magic to the realm of superstition hundrds of years ago and...
Now I understand! So, you believe magic to be a superstitious belief which we use to understand the laws of the world! Believe me, that is not correct! You must come from a strange world, one that only knows about energy from matter. Let me demonstrate something to you. Please follow me into our experiment room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIdzZkESmU0

Driscoll, I... Did you see that? That is... I mean... I'm going crazy! The tree is real! That was no trick!
That is really something! These guys are no fakes, that's for sure. That was beyond any growth accelerators.
A kingdom for a couple of measuring instruments! They cannot poke fun at the laws of physics!
I see, admittedly with satisfaction, that I was able to eliminate your doubts. I hope you now think a little bit differently of our talents.

It was an honor for me to speak with you, Rainer. Look around our place some more if you'd like, but for now I must return to my work.
In any case, thank you very much for the impressive demonstration of your abilities, Fasiir.

So that was a thing. Magic is real, y'all. Also I find it somewhat amusing that Fasiir is basically Magical Rainer. I like how he immediately catches on to the fact that Rainer and Tom think that magic is merely a way of making sense of the laws of reality and not a tangible thing.

Well, we've gotten our minds thoroughly blown by actual magic, so let's go to somewhere peaceful. Like here.

Wait, we can't enter here. How rude... Like here then.

On the inside we are immediately greeted by Aliis, who seems to be the local salesperson for the Dji-Fadh.

As if we would ever say no to that question. Rainer needs his daily dose of "this is amazing".

Exciting!

Furniture!

Basins!

Rainer figured that one out all the way back in update 3. We're not impressed. (Yes we are!)

Aliis tells us that the leaders are in the north part of the building. Sure, we'll go have a chat with them. But first, this fellow.

What is your profession?
I am Stri Dji-Fadh. Fountains are my favourite subject.
what can you say about fountains
The present form of the house fountains comes from me. You see, I grow a plant with very thick roots that grow deep into the earth. Then we provide powerful suction chambers that force the water upward. Actually keeping the fountain's water neutral in taste is the most difficult thing. The plant juices may not get into the water. Unfortunately, because of the long roots it takes a long time to create such a fountain, making them very expensive. But they really are simple devices, as you can see.
Simple, he says! Unbelievable!

Wherever there are chests, there is loot. So says my RPG protagonist instincts. It's all crap, but it's still loot.

One room has this guy. He's not very notable. He's the aide of Akiir, the leader of the Dji-Fadh. Other than hero-worship, we don't get a lot from him.

So let's go talk to the big man himself, Akiir.

A very impressive building. We are fascinated by your guild's art.
Your answer honors your sense of form. Personally I believe buildings are the most important things a culture can produce, and creating them is the noblest art of all.
What can you say about Dji-Fadh
We see what we do here as a mixture of magic, art and craft. We are one of the oldest guilds in Jirinaar and, as you surely know, we are able to create, change and permanently modify plants into a desired form through magic. This means we can produce complete houses out of living plant material which are not only beautiful, but also perform all the functions necessary for the well-being of its residents.

Well, let's bid Akiir farewell and finally go have a chat with the Sebainah. We can't put it off forever! Well we can, but the plot will never progress then.

Here we are.

Man, she's even got her own little office.

We bid her farewell. So, ladies and gentlemen, we have two more days for sightseeing before the festival. I think this update has already gotten long enough, so let's cut it here.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'm really pleased to see someone LP'ing this. I wrote a letter to Blue Byte when I was a kid and they sent me their demo pack CD with this on it.

Had no idea what I was doing but it's got a really unique style and voice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough, you can skip that dungeon too. I very strongly remembered when I played this game and the first enemy I ran into was a loving Krondir. Good times.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Funnily enough, you can skip that dungeon too. I very strongly remembered when I played this game and the first enemy I ran into was a loving Krondir. Good times.

well, if you choose not to give the South Wind Clan the scrap metal, you'll be kicked out of the building, and then you'll never get to go down there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When you read the manual, they talk about how, for them, the core of a role-playing game is exploring other cultures. Hearing their stories, seeing their conflicts, eating their food, etc. In a lot of games, none of the Iskai would object to the immortality ritual, but here you have one of them pointing out what the player's thinking even though he's special enough to be allowed to extend his life.

And 'My kingdom for some measuring instruments!' is a totally logical reaction to witnessing repeatable proof of supernatural phenomena. He's shocked, sure, but his first reaction is 'how does this work?', and it's the same reaction a lot of the Iskai have. The game does a good job of getting across that the locals don't have space ships or whatever but they're by no means dumb.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

When you read the manual, they talk about how, for them, the core of a role-playing game is exploring other cultures. Hearing their stories, seeing their conflicts, eating their food, etc. In a lot of games, none of the Iskai would object to the immortality ritual, but here you have one of them pointing out what the player's thinking even though he's special enough to be allowed to extend his life.

And 'My kingdom for some measuring instruments!' is a totally logical reaction to witnessing repeatable proof of supernatural phenomena. He's shocked, sure, but his first reaction is 'how does this work?', and it's the same reaction a lot of the Iskai have. The game does a good job of getting across that the locals don't have space ships or whatever but they're by no means dumb.

Yeah, I would contrast Rainer with a lot of other scientists in fiction, whose reactions to supernatural things are "I don't believe in magic" or "that violates all laws of physics you can't just do that". Rainer's reaction instead is "this is AMAZING. I wish I could investigate this in more detail because oh god this rules"

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Well, so far, the writing is mostly pretty well translated from the original German. Dialogue feels natural so far. There's just one nitpick I got:

The German word for shield and 'sign' is the same. I'm pretty sure some of those shields with writing on them are supposed to be signs. At least the ones inside buildings mounted on posts :v: I guess you could argue about those that are metal plates affixed to walls but they don't look like any shields the Iskai use so I think those should be signs too :v:

Still, much better than some translations I've seen. I think the Gothic games were translated to English notoriously sloppily.

And I love the 'Rainer observes magic' sequence :science: Really I can't say enough good things about the character writing in this game.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Night10194 posted:

The game is also good at avoiding doing any sort of stupid loving "noble savage" deal. Like, the Iskai are more technologically primitive than humanity, but obviously still make use of weapons and need cops, and build walls to keep predators away. They don't just live in ~enlightened primitivity~ in perfect harmony with everything, and instead of just making GBS threads in the woods they use their magic to recreate stuff that we'd also consider part of making a city work(plumbing, etc.). Also the boss lady of the Iskai straight up stating that she wants to make a good diplomatic first impression on humanity.

In general the PC's also seem so delightfully free of any of the crappier writing tropes around. Rainer doesn't aggressively deny the existence of magic even after seeing it, etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, it's also implied by the conversation between Rainer and the local expert that it's sort of two different ways of going at the problem. The Iskai never really considered the human way because they hit on their magical way of doing things, while the humans had no access to the Iskai way and so did things differently. It's sort of a parallel technological development rather than one being advanced and the other primitive, as noted by Rainer and Fasiir having a long conversation where both gain some better insight into what the other's doing. Fasiir's a local equivalent of a scientist, their science and scholarship just works out differently. I really appreciate that, as someone who studies history and gets really sick of people talking about how 'dumb' ancient peoples were.

They weren't dumb, they were people making decisions as best they could with the information they had. Unlike with the Iskai, the information they had might've been wrong, but 'primitive' people still have all the problem solving faculties anyone else does and still try to use them the same as anyone else, and I really like the game trying to get that across.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Again, see: better furry contact story than Avatar. Not that much of an achievement, but still.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Oh[] yeah, one detail I've been missing is that in the German version, most of the Iskai address Rainer as Rainiir. You can see in their names and some of their native phrases that the ii shows up a lot so it was probably intended as a little detail to show that most of these guys aren't used to pronouncing some sounds we take for granted. Hell, even among humans, the languages you learn as a child have a lasting effect on what sounds your vocal apparatus produces easily and what you may have a lot of initial trouble with when you learn a very foreign language as an adult.

Did that make it into this version at all? Checking back it seems like the Iskai who have so far directly addressed Rainer just had regular spelling in their text.

Edit: Don't mind me, we already had Iskai use either spelling.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 19, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Psykmoe posted:

Oh yeah, one detail I've been missing is that in the German version, most of the Iskai address Rainer as Rainiir. You can see in their names and some of their native phrases that the ii shows up a lot so it was probably intended as a little detail to show that most of these guys aren't used to pronouncing some sounds we take for granted. Hell, even among humans, the languages you learn as a child have a lasting effect on what sounds your vocal apparatus produces easily and what you may have a lot of initial trouble with when you learn a very foreign language as an adult.

Did that make it into this version at all? Checking back it seems like the Iskai who have so far directly addressed Rainer just had regular spelling in their text.

I could have sworn I remember a Rainiir or two in there from when I played the game, but that's just my imperfect recollection.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I could have sworn I remember a Rainiir or two in there from when I played the game, but that's just my imperfect recollection.

Well, checked back to first page AGAIN and it turns out I just overlooked the Sebai-Li Wrinn character using the Rainiir spelling. Whoops!

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Oh yeah, one detail I've been missing is that in the German version, most of the Iskai address Rainer as Rainiir. You can see in their names and some of their native phrases that the ii shows up a lot so it was probably intended as a little detail to show that most of these guys aren't used to pronouncing some sounds we take for granted. Hell, even among humans, the languages you learn as a child have a lasting effect on what sounds your vocal apparatus produces easily and what you may have a lot of initial trouble with when you learn a very foreign language as an adult.

Checking through my screenshots, Sebai-li Wrinn says Rainiir in their first conversation, Giria says Rainer. I think the update 4 mentions of Rainer, both the one by Sebai-li Wrinn and the one by Fasiir is because I've got him in the front and it's just using his name.

edit: though also note that I am transcribing everything by hand, and there's a very real risk that I typo something, particularly the Iskai mispronunciation of Rainer's name is probably easily missable.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 19, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the writing in this game is pretty quality. I suppose it helps matters that neither of our human party members are super-panicking about disengaging and finding the ship again, so we can look at this society and not have it brushed off.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Ceremonies and Stiriik

So the Sebainah has given us two days to go look around and talk to people, eh? Well, too bad for her that we've already mostly done that.

Besides, I would wager that the below applies to a lot of people at the thought of getting more enormous lore-dumps.

We will go sight-see a little in the council building, however.

I think I have entirely missed telling you guys the name of the place we are, so Griibo here will be my stand-in.

The beautiful island of Nakiridaani. Further along is this room.

This guy must be important since he's got his own room.

He's not at home for now though. Alas. Maybe he'll be around later. Screw this building, everyone here is boring.

The map of a tiny bit of the city of Jirinaar (where we are). We're currently going for a trip to visit a merchant.

Here we are, ready to buy various odds and ends for our paltry sum of money.

Wania mainly sells useful non-weapon items. Torches and other things. These are not too exciting for now. What IS exciting is this little chest.

Trying to open it gets Wania's attention.

Oh yes, the strange weapons! They are yours for 45 pieces of gold.

We don't really have a choice, it's not like the Iskai stores sell a lot of great human gear, and we sure could use it.

Thank you very much! Help yourself!

Now we're much better equipped.

Last update I mentioned that Rainer was at 8 attack, 7 defence, Tom at 8 attack, 12 defence. This chest has been a significant boost to them both, and we're not done with turning them both into killing machines. More Tom than Rainer.

Inside this house is the trainer. Referring back to the two previous screenshots, we see that Rainer has 10 skill points and Tom has 18. At the trainer you can directly convert skill points to close range or long range combat skill.

We pay our dues and Rainer gets +10 ranged accuracy, while Tom gets +18 melee accuracy. They're almost competent now!

Almost. Leaving the building and milling about a little more, Tom uses his impeccable sense of time to discover that it is time to go visit the Sebainah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uweF43DTTtU Y'all might want to watch the video. It's quite nice! If you don't want to, it's all summed up in pictures anyway.

Dsarii-ma. Tom and Rainer, welcome to our meeting. May I introduce you to Akiir, he is the head of the guild of the Formers, or the Dji-Fadh, as we say.

Well she's not REALLY introducing us to him. We met him last update when milling around town.

Dsarii-ma.

And this is council member...

The Sebainah is interrupted suddenly when a masked figure storms into the room. Shocked, Tom and Rainer recognize that it is a human being!

We must act swiftly. Send for Drirr, the Stiriik for Human Affairs!
Honored council members, Briid, my nephew, Please go now. I am sorry that the ceremony has had such a tragic outcome.

Tom and Rainer, I must speak with you.

Tom and Rainer, this is a difficult time. Some will assume that you had something to do with the murder for the simple fact that you are humans. I do not know your race well, but I believe you are just as shocked by all of this as I am.

Janiis, no one ever told us that there are native HUMANS on the planet. We are just trying to get over the shock!

Note a minor inconsistency here. Because I was able to get the human weapons from the chest earlier, it seems a little weird that Tom and Rainer are still entirely clueless about the existence of humans on the planet. Weapons and armor in this game are very race specific, and humans and iskai simply cannot wear each other's items (because of different builds). So when they find human weapons in a chest, it feels like a bit of a plot hole that Tom and Rainer don't wonder why on earth they have weapons and armor that could not possibly be worn by Iskai.

You didn't know that? But I thought... You must have misunderstood our first conversation. You would have gotten to know your fellow humans on the island that we were going to take you to.

You speak as if your offer can no longer be kept after what has happened.

So it is. Unfortunately, I must inform you of our people's laws relevant to this type of crime. In order to compensate for the often undisciplined nature of many Iskai, there is the Law of Family Responsibility. Thus, to discourage transgressions, the entire family of a criminal is responsible for his behavior. If the Stiriik cannot immediately capture the evil-doer, the family is obligated to find their rebellios member or solve the crime. Of course, in this case they are supported and monitored by at least one Stiriik.

Since you are now the only humans in Jirinaar, you take the place of the family. You are now obligated to solve this murder and find the guilty parties. Only then can I permit you to continue your journey.
But we are still strangers on this world. How can we possibly find those guilty of this crime?
I have already had a capable Stiriik sent for. He will help you with your task.
It looks as if we have no other choice, right?
Unfortunately, no. I cannot overrule the laws. I can only wish you good luck in the hunt for the fugitive murderer and whoever gave him his orders.
You're sure this was ordered by someone?
Without a doubt. The murderer belongs to a human race who are famous for their assassinations. These people seldom kill for their own interests. You should talk with Frill, I've heard he's in the palace again. Surely, he is on his way here.

Ah, here comes Drirr, the Stiriik who will accompany you.

Dsarii-ma, Drirr. Have you been informed of Akiir's murder?
Yes. What a shock!
Indeed! Drirr, I'm sure you've heard of Tom and Rainer, our visitors. They are strangers here and they need your help to solve this crime.
I will stand beside them with everything I have, Sebainah.

Tom and Rainer, I am sorry we have to meet under such circumstances.
Dsarii-ma, Drirr. We are a little overcome by what has happened.
I believe what you're saying. We should probably talk with Sebai-Giz Frill first. He can certainly tell us something about the murderer's human tribe. Let's go to his room. I am sure he knows about all this.

We have a third party member! We'll cover Drirr a little later once we're not caught up in an exciting murder mystery.

I am trying to help them in any way I can, Sebai-Giz Frill.
Naturally, Drirr. They are in good hands with you.

I know you are pressed for time, but just to satisfy my curiosity, I would like you to tell me the story of how you arrived on Nakiridaani.

Filled with a strange feeling of trust towards the old Iskai. Tom tells Frill about their origin, the trip, and the humans' original intentions on this planet.

Very astonishing. It's ironic that you knew nothing about the presence of other humans here until you saw this frightful murder. Now, can I possibly provide you with any information?

From your title, I take it that you have gone through the Sebai ritual 20 times. Therefore, are you actually over 600 years old?
That is true. My interest in this world and its history keeps me from getting weary of life, as so often happens with Sebai. And it is my knowledge which keeps causing the council to make me a candidate.
What is the history between humans and Iskai on this world?
The time when humans first appeared is hidden in the darkness of history even for me. However, unlike many others, I do not believe they originally came from this world. You have confirmed my theory.
However, relations between humans and Iskai have not always been peaceful, especially during the early centuries after humans arrived. There were repeated wars with the Iskai. Apparently these early humans considered it normal to take territory by force. However, as time went on, the conflicts became less frequent... the last altercation was over 156 years ago. However, our race is inclined to forget quickly, while humans, I believe, have changed their ways somewhat over the centuries. They have developed cultures that differ more than is normal for the Iskai. As far as I know, Iskai and humans live fairly peacefully together now.
Do you have any idea who could have ordered Akiir's murder?
A difficult question. A similar event happened more than 240 years ago. It involved a powerful Iskai merchant who became very involved with human affairs. Akiir had no relations with human beings. Therefore, only an Iskai could have given the orders. But why anyone could have had a reason for such horrible behavior is a complete riddle to me.

Well, that's quite the mouthful. So the humans on this planet are not natives to here, and it's not because Akiir got into beef with humans that a human murdered him. Who then?

Hopefully so! But let's first take a look at Drirr.

For someone who is the closest Iskai get to a policeman, he's not really heavily armed. I guess Iskai haven't armed their police well. Alternately, it's because Drirr is in human affairs, and there hasn't been a human-Iskai altercation for 150 years.

His stats are absolutely amazing, however. He is by far the fastest member of our group, and his untrained CLO is higher than Tom's is after Tom's training. On top of that he has a cap of whopping 99 in both long range and close range combat. He's arguably the strongest fighter in the game, and now he's all ours.

Iskai have an extra slot that humans don't. It's the top left slot in his inventory screen. They get to carry an extra, small, weapon there. Iskai are really good at murdering things. Their armors are generally not as protective as human armors, though.

As we're about to leave, this fellow shows up.

A trail! Let's immediately go to the Dji-Kas!

Have you heard about the death of your father, Sira?
Yes, I... never even got the chance to speak to him again. Oh, Goddess, it is...

Do you know who's behind the murder?
I grieve with you, Sira. Now, we still have no clue. However, they say that the fugitive murderer has been seen near this building.

Dsarii-ma. I have heard about Akiir's murder. What brings you to us?
The murderer was seen near your guild. May we look around a little?
Of course. We have nothing to hide. Come!

I believe that the murderer has disappeared to the south! After him! Stiriik, take this accomplice!

Well, who are you and why have you helped the murderer escape?

Fasiir, the chief of the Dji-Kas, intrudes.

His name is Kriis, he is, WAS, a member of our guild.

Kriis, you miserable skorrek, why did you let the murderer come into our building?

But Fasiir, you, yourself, gave me the order! And now you want to sacrifice me? That won't get you anywhere! You paid the murderer yourself!
WHAT?

Are you out of your mind? Drirr, don't believe a word of it! I had nothing to do with this thing!

I know the reason for the hostility between you, Fasiir and Akiir very well. You have a motive for the murder!
After all these years, would I choose this time to...
Stiriik, please take Kriis and Fasiir into custody until we have caught the murderer and have found out the truth.
Drirr, I would like to leave. I cannot stay here any longer. I have to be alone and think everything over.

Drirr turns to Tom and Rainer:

We almost had the murderer! In any case, he's no longer in this house. Perhaps we can still catch him somewhere in the city.
Good, Drirr, we'll go. Only one more thing: What is the story between Fasiir and the murdered Akiir?
Well, to make a long story shot, Akiir was once married to Fasiir's sister. On a hunting trip with Akiir, Fasiir's sister lost her life. Fasiir blamed Akiir for the death of his sister since Akiir insisted on the trip in spite of bad weather. THat is the reason for their lasting enmity.

Now, let us search the city.

The old Former building, or the old Argim as some say, lies to the northeast of the city, I believe.

I have never been there.

Let's go there immediately... Perhaps we can catch the guy there!

Well, nominally I agree with Drirr. Let's go catch that assassin. But on the other hand, Drirr is still equipped with weapons that he probably couldn't kill a Skrinn with.

Spending a bit of money and a bit of trickery gets Drirr up to 12 attack, 11 defence. Much squishier than Tom at 19 defence, but also hits much harder at 12 vs 9.

What do I mean by trickery?

Well... Two days ago, during the downtime before the party

This is a picture of our normal reach-range. No way to reach the goods. However, if you get a running start, it seems like the game miscalculates your position when you use the cursor. This means we can do this.

Two steps more range. Like THIS, we can reach that sword right there. We can also reach the breastplate on the right by doing the same over there. Thank you five finger discount.

I set up a new combat formation as well.

In this formation, Tom is the most exposed, but he's also very heavily armored. Rainer is entirely covered and cannot be attacked in melee unless someone takes down Tom or Drirr.

Time to leave Jirinaar to hunt the assassin.

And we're out and free. I think this is a good time to cut the update. Next time, tooling around the island.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 21, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

We are, of course, going to put off the plot for as long as possible to poke around in all the little corners, right? Compared to some of the later areas, there isn't that much to find on the first island, but there are a few things.

EDIT: also I never knew about THAT particular five-finger-discount trick. I'll have to replay and try it out myself some day. And while Drirr isn't the most deeply characterized member of the party, I do largely like his upbeat attitude.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 21, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

We are, of course, going to put off the plot for as long as possible to poke around in all the little corners, right? Compared to some of the later areas, there isn't that much to find on the first island, but there are a few things.

EDIT: also I never knew about THAT particular five-finger-discount trick. I'll have to replay and try it out myself some day. And while Drirr isn't the most deeply characterized member of the party, I do largely like his upbeat attitude.

Of course. Though it's arguably a better idea to wait until you're done with plot for the island to go whole hog on sniffing around the island .

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm glad they don't instantly jail our heroes but still insist on having them prove their innocence. And it's nice to see that our alien party member is not immediately suspicious of us.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SSNeoman posted:

I'm glad they don't instantly jail our heroes but still insist on having them prove their innocence. And it's nice to see that our alien party member is not immediately suspicious of us.

Drirr is also an incredible badass and gets across how much of a difference it makes for someone to have been trained in using these sorts of weapons their entire life as opposed to just being in good shape and trying to pick it up as they go along like Tom.

He's our court-appointed lawyer, in a way. This whole thing is a legal formality leading to a cool adventure rather than space racism.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Drirr is also an incredible badass and gets across how much of a difference it makes for someone to have been trained in using these sorts of weapons their entire life as opposed to just being in good shape and trying to pick it up as they go along like Tom.

He's our court-appointed lawyer, in a way. This whole thing is a legal formality leading to a cool adventure rather than space racism.

This is why I love this game. It is different in a very refreshing way.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, it's more "Our society is clan-based, and unfortunately, you're the closest we can get to being his clan-mates. We know you're probably not involved, but rules are rules, my friend"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
drat, I forgot about the tail-daggers. Just shows how badass Driir is. He can actually power through a lot of the stuff on the island if you want to save gun ammo (generally a good idea).
Anyway, the murder plot is handled pretty well - most games nowadays you'd be forced to handle weird taboos and characters representing various ideologies to get the point of aliens being aliens across (Mass Effect comes to mind immediately) but here it's just a perfectly understandable backstabbery - whether there's a plot or not, one of the suspects is immediately trying to play it for personal advantage. They're aliens but they're practical - somehow makes them feel more believable.

Another thing niggling at me, I could've sworn I remembered Driir being a female. Oh well, it's been years.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 21, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

These kittens sure like their words to have I's crammed in everywhere.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Another thing niggling at me, I could've sworn I remembered Driir being a female. Oh well, it's been years.

You too, eh?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I was wondering if you were going to show off that little movement trick. It's one of those things you figure out as a kid and feel pretty drat clever about.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Oh, hey, someone else who's played this game. :v:

I'm not entirely sure where I got it from as a kid, but I played the intro bit a whole lot.

Usually forgot to save and got myself wiped out by the local wildlife once I got to this point, though. :v:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Drirr is an absolute murder machine, especially later when he starts striking multiple times per attack action. I seem to remember that Iskai armor tops out in quality pretty early so Driir's durability doesn't scale well later on, but he's pretty much your most powerful physical attacker and he's fast as hell. Meanwhile human armor variety is pretty high so Tom keeps getting tougher and tougher, while his offense doesn't scale as well because he gets multiple strikes per action much much later. To be fair since he is simply stronger than most other characters his hits are nothing to take lightly, especially early on before Drirr turns into the living blender.

Looking forward to later updates when you show off some of the sweet magic :science:

There is a female human fighter later in the game but she's optional and I never really used her for long, are you gonna use her at all? I always just grabbed the grumpy mage guy ASAP. I don't know how strong she is and kitting out another character with heavy human equipment is so expensive I was too lazy to grind all that money.

Of course I'm going off 10 year old memories :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Psykmoe posted:

There is a female human fighter later in the game but she's optional and I never really used her for long, are you gonna use her at all? I always just grabbed the grumpy mage guy ASAP. I don't know how strong she is and kitting out another character with heavy human equipment is so expensive I was too lazy to grind all that money.

I always brought her, alongside Drirr and Tom on the front lines you've got a serious bulwark going on. Also the alternative is to bring back those other two, one of whom makes the game entirely trivial and the other of which is more useless than Rainer. So yeah, not much of a contest.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Drirr is an absolute murder machine, especially later when he starts striking multiple times per attack action. I seem to remember that Iskai armor tops out in quality pretty early so Driir's durability doesn't scale well later on, but he's pretty much your most powerful physical attacker and he's fast as hell. Meanwhile human armor variety is pretty high so Tom keeps getting tougher and tougher, while his offense doesn't scale as well because he gets multiple strikes per action much much later. To be fair since he is simply stronger than most other characters his hits are nothing to take lightly, especially early on before Drirr turns into the living blender.

Looking forward to later updates when you show off some of the sweet magic :science:

Of course I'm going off 10 year old memories :v:

Siobhan is better at fighting than Drirr is. She's got 4 base attack iirc, huge accuracy like Drirr, slightly slower than Drirr and stronger than Tom and is as such the best character to wield the Gaze of Kamulos. She's just not as cool as Drirr

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's awfully convenient there are humans in town to go investigating.

And we've been around recovering from wounds for a while, so there's plenty of time to take advantage of two guys who just recuperated to give the murderer some extra lead time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I really like where this game is going, you could word dump all of the lore conversations as far as I'm concerned and I'd be happy. The Iskai are portrayed belivably as a very alien but still understandable culture and the fact that somehow nobody has invoked fantasy / sci-fi super racism yet as an excuse to railroad the plot somewhere is so very refreshing. I mean there must be a good few dozen lovely tropes they could have fallen into, the only thing that is obviously kind of contrived is the "oh yeah I'm conversational in your language after a month" but it could have been a lot worse. The "they have no nudity taboo!" part made me chuckle a little bit as well but it does make sense since they're living in a dense jungle with everything being made out of plants (which presumably would mean even indoor areas are very humid) so clothing for warmth isn't really needed.

The translation obviously isn't perfect but is definitely the best I've seen of a German => English game from around this period.

Actually I vaguely remember one of the Star Trek (TNG maybe?) point&click games having a part which gave me vibes similar to this game, IIRC you were involved in helping to solve a legal case between members of 2 different alien species / cultures, anyone else remember this?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Well, it's also implied by the conversation between Rainer and the local expert that it's sort of two different ways of going at the problem. The Iskai never really considered the human way because they hit on their magical way of doing things, while the humans had no access to the Iskai way and so did things differently. It's sort of a parallel technological development rather than one being advanced and the other primitive, as noted by Rainer and Fasiir having a long conversation where both gain some better insight into what the other's doing. Fasiir's a local equivalent of a scientist, their science and scholarship just works out differently. I really appreciate that, as someone who studies history and gets really sick of people talking about how 'dumb' ancient peoples were.

They weren't dumb, they were people making decisions as best they could with the information they had. Unlike with the Iskai, the information they had might've been wrong, but 'primitive' people still have all the problem solving faculties anyone else does and still try to use them the same as anyone else, and I really like the game trying to get that across.

Also, at least so far in the game, we don't know how long the Iskai have been around or had a civilization when compared to humans. It isn't like humans and them evolved at the exact same time, at least as far as I can remember. It might be possible for them to reach a level on par with the technological humans given time and some prodding from their new arrivals.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Killing our way around the beautiful island of Nakiridaani

Huh, that took longer than expected. I'm back, however.

When we last left off, we were about to set off to hunt down the assassin. Exciting, no?
Almost as soon as we leave Jirinaar, we're going to be beset by Skrinn.

These guys were pretty dangerous back when we fought them in the cellars, armed with crap and armored in crap. Now they are physically unable to do damage to Tom. C'est la vie, assholes.
Killing them nets Drirr a level.

Let's go west though. Because things are more exciting there.
To the west of Jirinaar, there's a little bridge and a dude herding animals. Talking to the animals is not very productive.

Though I guess these animals are smarter than cows. Cows would not be astonished by an attempt to talk to them.
The herder is slightly more useful.

We can even ask Jiris for directions!

How helpful.
So... North he says. That's down, right?

Houston, we've got a flying thingie. Wonder what those guys are. Maybe they're friendly?

No. Not friendly.
These guys are called Warniaks.

Skrinn are entirely harmless to us at this point. Warniaks, not so much. They can actually do damage to both Tom and Drirr.

On death, they give a bit of xp and drop a small warniak sphere. The only real use of a small warniak sphere is to sell it for a bit of cash.

A bit northeast of our heroes, there are some flying thingies. I wonder if they're friendlier than the Warniaks?

At least they're not attacking us.

welp, alien hornets. They actually do damage if you get stung more, if I remember correctly. I don't want to get stung more, thank you. A little further down south we find this.

They've pretty much vacuumed up our ship, haven't they?

But oh ho, look what's here! It's a couple of stims. The astute reader will also have noticed that there's a goddamn warniak heading towards us again. It is still not much of a threat on its own.

More warniaks.

But what's this? One of the warniaks is green! This is our first palette swapped enemy, the Warniak 2. They are like Warniaks, but slower. Also incredibly lethal comparatively. The only good thing is that they're slower than Drirr, unlike regular Warniaks.

Killing off these guys nets Tom a level. Hurray!

And then we meet these guys. Krondirs are sort of the big bad boogeymen of this island. Big, slow, and tough. Instead of screencaps, I've gone the whole distance and made a video of "fighting Krondir"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZncSGzXuxJg

They give a LOT of xp.

They also give Piece of Meat which is pretty non-valuable and Krondir Trii which IS pretty valuable. In fact, Krondir Trii are probably the most valuable thing we can farm on this island, so hurray! Incidentally, the fact that Krondir have trii and Skrinn and Warniak don't seem to hint at Krondir being vaguely related to Iskai.
Having slain the Krondir, we head east until we encounter water.

Resting passes eight hours of time, and now it's kind of dark.

While this can get pretty annoying, it's also useful for showing off neat features such as these glow-in-the-dark-flowers.

Huh. We're back at the bridge. Well, I guess north DOESN'T mean down. Let's try walking up instead. Just like Jiris said, there's a bridge. Let's walk acro-

ow. gently caress that bridge. We're going north instead.

It's kind of dark, but that looks suspiciously much like a Krondir.
It is, it dies. Rainer and Drirr level up. We still can't rest because we rested too recently.

There are two things in this picture. Glowy bush is an important bush. Secondly we're being eaten by Skrinn. Luckily, as I've pointed out, Skrinn are worthless against us now.

Why is that Skrinn golden? (Also, notice that it is night in the battle scene as well. consistency is very good)
Well, just like the Green Warniak was a Warniak 2 that was better on every parameter than the regular Warniak except for speed, the Skrinn 2 is better than the Skrinn on every parameter except for... No, it's also much faster. Skrinn 2 are kind of assholes. We still kill him though.

So here's the first time we see a skrinn trying to escape us. How do we stop him? Well, there are a few steps to this. First of all, he can only escape when in back row. Each turn where there is no one in melee range (so no one in 2-3rd row) we can Advance Party. This effectively moves the enemy one step towards us. So far so good. He'll have to move back to back row each turn. But how do we kill him? If we don't advance party, he escapes. If we shoot at him with, say, a bow, where he is after Advance Party, he'll move to back row before it hits, and the arrow misses. The answer is actually pretty simple. We give Rainer a bow and tell him to aim at the Skrinn. Then we Advance Party. Rainer is now aiming at a back-row space where there is no enemy. But once the turn commences, the Skrinn will move to back row and get shot at. Boom, victory.

The bush is neat. It's got those cool magical seeds we saw Fasiir use to cast magic (also Kriis, but Kriis is severely uncool) Also, Drirr is entirely wrong when he tells us to take them because they're worth a lot of money. Take them, but don't sell'em.

After all this fightin', we can finally rest again.

More Krondirs.

More More Krondirs. This one nets Tom a level.

goddamnit go away krondirs

Why if it isn't the entrance to the old Dji-Fadh building. We're actually here! Though we don't really have any potions and we're incredibly ill-prepared. We should probably just return to Jirinaar and train up skills a little instead of entering.
Instead, it's story time. Let's talk to our two companions.

Yes, I'm sure it can't hurt if we get to know each other a little better. Well, I never knew my father. My mother was a self-taught programmer in Germany. She worked for the same Euro-Japanese multinational corporation which built the Toronto. I grew up in the sheltered world of the company kindergarten and schools. it gave me the opportunity to obtain a first-class education. In spite of, or rather, because of this company-influenced education, I broke out of the company culture and spent my idealistic years in several environmental organizations. I later entered government service because I saw it as the only possibility to practice xenobiology on site, without having to work for a multinational corporation.
Can you please summarize your knowledge about the Iskai biology?
The Iskai, fascinating beings! Let's begin with the similarities to us humans. They are warm blooded mammals, built much like humans, although they are taller and thinner than we are. Naturally, there are more differences than similarities. In general, they are not as strong as human beings, but they're very fast. They appeard to have developed from predators, but they eat both meat and plants. The Iskai have a prehensile tail which they use so cleverly that it is almost like a third hand. Their life expectancy is less than ours, it amounts to about 30 or 40 years. Their body is covered with very short but thick fur, and many of them have belts of longer fur over the breast and hip area. There are many color variations of the fur and the long hair on the head. There are pieces of horn on the head and on hte main joints, as well as on the fingers and feet where they act as claws.
The sensory organs of the Iskai are outstanding, their sense of smell is better than that of humans. The high range of their voices indicates that their hearing spectrum is shifted up above ours. I've gathered that the female Iskai apparently are only fertile for a short time of the year. As far as the differences in social behavior are concerned, we are both learning from our discussions with the Iskai that there are astounding parallels as well as great differences.
What do you think about the demonstration which Fasiir, the chief of this Dji-Kas magic guild, gave us?
I'm really astounded. I still cannot grasp what we saw, let alone explain how this Fasiir did what he did. The tree that grew there was real! This world apparently has more surprises in store for us than those we have experienced until now.

Rainer: Still astounded by everything. Good for him. How about our newest member?

Tell me a little about your past, Drirr.
You know, Tom, I don't really want to act aloof, that's really not how I am, but let's put it off until later.
In your opinion, where will we find the fugitive murderer?
As you heard, the murderer fled into the old Former guild. Argim will be very happy!

Well, not very informative. I guess Drirr doesn't want to talk much about himself for now. Before we call it quits, it's time to look at another neat little feature.
We poke our heads into the old Former guild.

It's super dark. We could light a torch for light, but if we really don't want to, we can actually maneuver a little better than this, by putting Drirr in the lead.

Oho! He's got better night vision than the humans. Well of course he does, he's practically a cat-man.
Next update we poke around a bit in here after I return to Jirinaar for a couple of useful things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One more notch on the 'Drirr loving rocks' tally, up there with 'kills dinosaur monsters with a knife in his prehensile tail' and 'Fast as hell'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, yeah, early stuff in the game will loving WRECK you, even with some pretty good armor and stuff.

Also, am I misremembering or can't Warniak 2's cause status effects? Or is that only Warniak 3's? Because I remember them as causing all of the WORST goddamn status effects. Krondiir are mostly notable for being decently farmable, also, can't you actually use Krondiir meat for something? I seem to recall that you can feed it to some of the floor mouths, and Skrinn for being some of the only enemies that can consistently escape the party without that little trick you used which I didn't even know about.

• Locked thread