Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, yeah, early stuff in the game will loving WRECK you, even with some pretty good armor and stuff.

Also, am I misremembering or can't Warniak 2's cause status effects? Or is that only Warniak 3's? Because I remember them as causing all of the WORST goddamn status effects. Krondiir are mostly notable for being decently farmable, also, can't you actually use Krondiir meat for something? I seem to recall that you can feed it to some of the floor mouths, and Skrinn for being some of the only enemies that can consistently escape the party without that little trick you used which I didn't even know about.

It's even worse. the answer is "all warniaks can cause status effects"

edit: also yes to your second spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's less that krondirs are farmable and more "don't you dare move the plot until you're able to routinely handle them". I still remember the first time I played this, I skipped a lot of stuff and a krondir was actually the first thing I fought.
Good times. That being said, this is still a relatively friendly place.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Honestly I don't think Krondirs are that bad. If you give Rainer a ranged weapon you can literally have Tom or Drirr gently caress around with a Krondir all day (as per the speed rule).

Just make Tom sidestep every turn. The Krondir will keep missing him, but he'll be in range next turn for an attack, so the Krondir is going to try again. Rainer can at the same time pelt the Krondir to death. Skrinn 2 and Warniak 2 are imho much worse than Krondir because they pack a punch AND are fast enough that you can't do that (note: Drirr can do that song and dance with W2)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that is some dangerous wildlife. I wonder how many are in your average Iskai hunting party.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I really love how the Skrinn just look like alien predators, while the Warinacks and Krondir seem more like monsters.

Definitely gives you that "oh poo poo" feeling when you first run into them, and makes you feel like a badass when you start lugging around a dozen Krondir steaks. :black101:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Exercu posted:

It's even worse. the answer is "all warniaks can cause status effects"

edit: also yes to your second spoiler.

Even W1's? Huh, for some reason I don't recall them ever doing it to me. Then again, it's kinda been a long time since I last played Albion. I just remember that few "standard" enemies terrified me more than W3's.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Even W1's? Huh, for some reason I don't recall them ever doing it to me. Then again, it's kinda been a long time since I last played Albion. I just remember that few "standard" enemies terrified me more than W3's.

Well, they need to do damage first, and they're fairly likely not to do damage to Tom. They cause Panicking which is incredibly annoying and makes your guys run away.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

Actually I vaguely remember one of the Star Trek (TNG maybe?) point&click games having a part which gave me vibes similar to this game, IIRC you were involved in helping to solve a legal case between members of 2 different alien species / cultures, anyone else remember this?

25th Anniversary had one episode where you're tracking down a guy who's been accused of high crimes by the Klingons (and is also the god Quetzalcoatl), then have to defend him in court. In Judgement Rites you had another one where you had to mediate a dispute between two species, one angelic-looking but also a pack of arrogant jerks while the other was distinctly Lovecraftian in appearance but quite friendly. The entire thing turns out to be a test by some other aliens as part of the game's overarching plot, though.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Warniaks can be pretty annoying when you're trying to grind money but don't have easy status cures available yet. I seem to remember Warniak 3s actually being pretty powerful even outside the status effects. Warniak 1 tend to have trouble actually landing hits and 2s are slow. Neither is true for the later version.

Krondir triis are the best source of money off wildlife anyway. Unless I'm forgetting something.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I miss this LP. Still going?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I remember getting the demo for this on my Settlers 2 disc (first game I ever had on a CD!) and being enthralled by the unique setting and some of the quirky design choices like the different perspectives for different game sections.

I played the full game at some point but never finished it, I hope this is still going so I can see where it all ends up.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Warniaks can be pretty annoying when you're trying to grind money but don't have easy status cures available yet. I seem to remember Warniak 3s actually being pretty powerful even outside the status effects. Warniak 1 tend to have trouble actually landing hits and 2s are slow. Neither is true for the later version.

Krondir triis are the best source of money off wildlife anyway. Unless I'm forgetting something.

They are. Also the reason why Warniak 1 has trouble landing hits is that it, afaik, has to actually do damage to inflict a status, and it's trivially easy to get people's defenses to a level where they practically can't do damage.

Rockopolis posted:

I miss this LP. Still going?

Sorry for the long wait, real life and computer troubles have been keeping me from having time to LP: I should be able to get back into it sometimes this week. So hurray, we're not dead.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

The Guild Formerly Known As The Former Guild

Last time we had just made it to the old Former's building where the assassin went. However, we had also made it there without any potions or anything. We COULD do it entirely potionless, but let's do this as proper adventurers.

We turn around and go back to Jirinaar

The trip back to Jirinaar is entirely uneventful. Back in Jirinaar, however, Drirr is very insistent.

Milling around town for a bit, I find this guy. Rabir is notable for being the single best place to sell things in Jirinaar. He gives more money for selling things than anyone else.

After having cleared out our inventory for most useless stuff (like Krondir Triis and Warniak spheres) we have a whopping 231.1 gold!

We go find Vrik.

Hell yes. Well no, we don't actually need them, but in the interest of the Former guild not being a horrible chore, yes please. He sells us five fruits for 40 gold. Chump change.

We visit the trainer because why the gently caress not, we've got gold and training points. Tom goes from strong to stronger, Rainer goes from useless to useless, Drirr goes from dangerous to ludicrously good.

I go abuse Rejira a little. She gives a blue healing potion at times when you end conversations with her. I do it until I have 10 of them. Certainly more than I'll reasonably use in the Former guild, but rather have a little more than having to afk for a while while I wait for people to get tired so I can rest.

We leave town again, trained and prepared.

This was where we left off last time. Drirr's ability to see in the dark is better than Tom and Rainer's, but still kind of a hassle to maneuver with unless we light a torch.

Like this. Now we can actually see where we're going.

Sparkly rainbow plants!

Are these dangerous? :ohdear:

No, no they're not.

These harmless animals are vegetarians. They generate a luminous gas which allows them to fly like that.

Weird plant thing. Also skrinns. Skrinns are pretty much entirely trivial at this point. Skrinn 1 can't hurt Tom and they can't hurt Drirr. Skrinn 2 can hurt both, but not much. They can break equipment though which sucks.

The Skrinns die without much fanfare, and I go look at this thing.

It's not visible in pictures, but those arms are moving and grasping and look painful.

An interesting creature. Notice the strong luminosity of the grasping arms. It is hard to say whether we are looking at a specimen of this world's flora or its fauna, but this life form does seem to be carnivorous.

I take it, my dear Rainer, that what you have expressed with such astounding words is that we should probably avoid these clutching arms? Insightful advice, which I will follow gladly!

If we examine it again:

It appears to me that the light of the grasping arms is no accident. I think the creature attracts its prey with it. Light seems to play a great role in the animal world down here.

We can feed these grasping mouths with Vrik's fruits and they stop grasping. It's pretty useful.

Poke the plant thing and it moves.

There are krondirs in here. At this point they are not very dangerous at all. We kill them, Drirr levels up, we're all very happy. There are also skrinns in here. We kill them, Rainer levels up, we're vaguely pleased.

Do not step in these mouths. They hurt a lot.

What a horrible thing! We should definitely go around it.
There is a justification for every life form's existence, Driscoll. However, that doesn't mean we should sacrifice our lives just to extend its existence, so I'll go along with you on that.
I've never seen anything like it. It looks pretty deadly alright.

Remember what Rainer said about light? While you can feed the fruits to these mouths to shut them down, you can also throw out your torch (or let it burn out). They only react if you're holding a source of light, so Vrik's fruits are only nice to have, but not particularly necessary, even for getting loot, as you can merely navigate by Drirr-sight. It's a huge hassle to do though, so I usually buy the fruits.

don't fall into the big mouths btw.

Here is a mouth we can only pass by throwing items in. They don't eat the fruits, but they do eat the Piece of Meat we get from Krondirs.

Feeding all the things.

More loving skrinn.

Pictures don't quite convey this, but the area we're entering now is pulsating. It's kind of gross.

don't mind me being turned an entirely different direction from what the text assumes.

This is where I should have been looking.

Weird pillars of light move around this room. They heal the humans fully and intoxicate them. Drirr is immune.

Let's go touch the weird thing with Tom. Surely that's going to go well.

We now get the option to attack it. Of course we do, gently caress that thing for lighting his spine on fire.

It's weak as hell.

Oh.

This battle does not fill me with satisfaction. In spite of its dangers, this was a place of strange beauty. I am afraid that we destroyed someyhing that gave a special life force to the Formers' old center.

Everything is grey and dull now, and most emphatically not pulsating.

Plants too.

Also these.

And these.

Let us reverse that decision. How about...not killing the thing? Let's try touching it with Drirr instead.

Ahh, a complex mind. So long ago, so long. Beautiful. Speak.
Who or what are you?
I am... here. I am now this place. A long time ago... I was small, I was single, alone.
You were once someone different?
Yes...I was...once I was as you. Iskai.
Oh, Goddess! You... you were once... ARGIM!
Yes.

Drirr directs a short statement to the others.

It's unbelievable! I have made contact with what was once Argim's consciousness!

Then he concentrates again on Argim's thoughts.

It's wonderful to talk.
Can you tell me about your past?
I've been here so long, it is... hard. I'm no longer used to this kind of... thinking... remembering. I wanted to live. My life was so short. I was hot. So angry. Everything flowed out of me. I expanded. It's hard to talk about it.

But everything became good. I live.

It's wonderful to talk.

Can you tell me something about your current life, Argim?
I live. That is wonderful. I live in this place. I am this place. I live in the animals here. I experience everything that they experience.

I am in them. I sense how they live, how they hunt and are hunted, how they love and die.

It's wonderful. I am happy. I only miss little. Talks like this. And music.

It's wonderful to talk.

We are searching for a man who came in here.
Yes. There was a man here. He
was a good predator. But he wasn't the only predator here. He has been incorporated into the cycle. He is no longer alive.
Did you look at his remains? We saw them in the room behind the structure through which we communicate.
Yes, Drirr. I will move the structure after our contact.
I would like to break off contact now, Argim.
That's too bad. I really enjoyed the contact. Please come again.

And I.. I would like to ask you something. I often remember music, wonderful music. I miss music. I often dream of music of the crystal. Please bring me a music crystal. Promise me that.
We promise you, Argim. We'll bring you a crystal.
I'm very happy. Let me show you my gratitude.

In the large room, there are two sources of color. Connect them with a path of light.

Then enjoy the sources of power. Now farewell. I await your return.

Argim moves, and we get to move further in. We look at the body.

A clue!

And a bolt thrower. It's pretty neat.

We walk around for a bit finding some stuff, clearing out the rest of the dungeon, punching Krondirs and so on. All great fun. Having cleared out the place we walk back to Jirinaar.

The trip back is uneventful. We head back to our main man, Rabir, and sell him all the stuff we have no use for, leaving us with a sizeable sum of money. After repairing the stuff broken by Skrinn, we have around 600 gold left. Now, it's time to get on with the plot. Frill knew something about Iskai daggers, right?

Well ain't that suspicious, Bradir?

Next time, we finish up all the plot on this island and fight a boss. Let's hope I'll get around to it in a much more timely fashion

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I loving love the old Former guild. Even on a strange planet full of cat-beasts, it sticks out as being just so alien.

And I always feel so bad when I stop talking to Argim. Poor guy just wants to chat. :smith:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I never even knew you could kill Argim! Goddamn, I've beaten this game three times and there's still some stuff I didn't know about, that's pretty cool. What are the consequences of killing him, besides feeling like a dick? I assume the room that you need to "light up the floor" to reach is then inaccessible, but I can't really think of anything else.

quote:

It's wonderful to talk.

Argim kind of comes across as mildly stoned and disoriented, though since he says he lives through the animals, and you just walked in and stabbed them all in the neck and face, it's a wonder he's not in a worse mood.

Also you're a bad person if you don't bring him some music.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I never even knew you could kill Argim! Goddamn, I've beaten this game three times and there's still some stuff I didn't know about, that's pretty cool. What are the consequences of killing him, besides feeling like a dick? I assume the room that you need to "light up the floor" to reach is then inaccessible, but I can't really think of anything else.

Yeah, it's pretty much just that. But what kind of monster kills Argim???

edit: also you're pretty unlikely to discover this unless you're futzing around with things, because for reasons of "it is dark" you're most likely going to have Drirr in front.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't there a permanent stat-booster thingy hidden somewhere in the old guild? I seem to remember it being behind a false wall or something.

And yeah, the Old Former Guild is a really cool place and Argim's a chill dude. Bring the poor guy some music.

This game's plot does a really good job of earning the environmentalism theme, I think.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Isn't there a permanent stat-booster thingy hidden somewhere in the old guild? I seem to remember it being behind a false wall or something.

And yeah, the Old Former Guild is a really cool place and Argim's a chill dude. Bring the poor guy some music.

This game's plot does a really good job of earning the environmentalism theme, I think.

Yeah...but:

1. I go there now with Drirr, Rainer and Tom. They get stat boosts. Hurray!
2. I go there later with Drirr, Rainer, Tom and The Fourth Member. They get stat boosts. Hurray! (Objectively better than option 1)
3. I go there WAY later with the end-game team I pick. Maybe we pick. I could open that up for voting in the future. Numerically better than 2, but comes at the cost of not getting those stat boosts until way late in the game.

(I'm probably picking 2)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably for the best, waiting for the perfect team to collect stat boosters is just minmaxy as gently caress. Plus this way you actually get to bring poor Argim his music box sooner.
I really like that dialogue, by the way. The whole "it's wonderful to talk" is being used there as sort of a chorus for that tiny bit of text - probably not intentionally since there would be more of it, but it's a good bit of game writing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Exercu posted:

Yeah...but:

1. I go there now with Drirr, Rainer and Tom. They get stat boosts. Hurray!
2. I go there later with Drirr, Rainer, Tom and The Fourth Member. They get stat boosts. Hurray! (Objectively better than option 1)
3. I go there WAY later with the end-game team I pick. Maybe we pick. I could open that up for voting in the future. Numerically better than 2, but comes at the cost of not getting those stat boosts until way late in the game.

(I'm probably picking 2)

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that part.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Yes, because me need to make Rainer go from Useless to Still Useless even more.

Also, I remember this game fondly. Looking forward to this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's nice to see Rainier is still keeping on with the scientific analysis, even through getting sick burns dropped on him by the actual hunter.

Also, psionics do have a way of making lots of things seem more alien and neat. The whole facility being one dude who just wants... what, an MP3 player equivalent? I suppose dude can't help being a living monster-making machine, but it'd be nice if people could use him as like a base camp or something.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Drirr can drop sick burns as much as he wants though, had it not been for Rainer we wouldn't have a hint that you can switch off the arm-mouth-thingies by turning off the light.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Well that was extremely weird and entirely in keeping with the tone of this game so far. Everyone is so interested in the intricate details of life and culture, it's adorable. I hope you don't keep Argim waiting too long for his music :3:

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Confronting Bradir

Last time we found out that the dagger belonged to Bradir, so let's head to the Current Former guild.

Hi Bradir.

That's right, Bradir. Has anything occurred to you?

I will never be able to forget this affair. You cannot imagine how much I would like to help you, but I cannot tell you anything new.

Let's confront him with the dagger.

What do you know about this fine Iskai dagger

Welp.

So here we are, fighting Bradir.

I haven't talked much about my formation, but the idea is basically that Rainer is weak and scrawny, so he can hide behind the others. Tom is big and beefy, so he gets to be up front. Drirr is located behind Tom because he's faster than most other people, so he can either go to the square in front of Rainer or the square on the other side of Tom.

It turns out that Bradir isn't actually very good at fighting. He did take the Fine Iskai Dagger which is sad because it was a pretty good tail-weapon.

Incredibly not good at fighting, actually. Defeating a Skrinn 1 gives 10 xp, so he's considered weaker than a Skrinn. Just for fun, I tried reloading and pitting him against Rainer in a 1v1 fight. Rainer didn't even get scratched taking him down. That's how bad Bradir is. Bradir's Stiletto, however, is incredibly good.

It has an attack of 7, gives +8 to Close range accuracy, and can be used as an item to cast a spell. This on its own would be decent, but not amazing. But here's the deal. It can be wielded as a secondary weapon for Drirr which makes it really really good.

We must take him to the healer, quickly. Otherwise, we will never understand why he attacked us.

Bradir, please explain to us your unusual reaction when you saw the antique weapon the murderer had with him.
Sebainah, the dagger was part of the murderer's payment. It belonged to me. Upon seeing it, I lost my nerve.

I am really happy it is all over now.
You're saying that YOU gave the order? YOU had Akiir, your admired friend, murdered?
No, by the Goddess! I did not hire the murderer!
But you know the person who gave the order?
Yes, Sebainah.

It was... Akiir himself.
WHAT?
IMPOSSIBLE!
That cannot be!
I know Bradir was the closest and most honest friend that my father ever had. Let him continue.
Akiir knew for almost a year that he had an incurable disease. He had, at most, six months to live. Then, when he learned of Sira's decision to transfer to the guild of the Dji-Kas, he drastically changed and became more and more unpredictable.

A while ago, he came to me with a plan for his staged murder. In addition to getting revenge on Fasiir, he wanted to make Sira leave the guild of the Dji-Kas again. For days I tried to talk him out of his plan, but he would not change his mind. He appealed to me, on my honor as a friend, to fulfill his last wish. There was nothing else I could do!

He bribed the Dji-Kas Kriis with an absurd sum and entrusted an assassin from the Kenget Kamulos human tribe with the murder. To get rid of the murderer, we arranged to meet at the guild's old center after the deed was done. We hoped that the predators there would take care of the witnesses. The last few weeks have been the worst in my life. I will gladly subject myself to testing by a Tri-Nadh to verify my story.

Bradir has been a friend of my family since my childhood. In my opinion, he could not have made all of this up. I loved my father, but I know how obstinate he could be. Under these extreme conditions...

He really could have reacted this way. And that because of ME, oh, Goddess.

I believe Bradir's words.
I also believe Bradir. He is free of suspicion.

Return to your guild, Bradir. You have a lot of explaining to do there.

Fasiir, who has been wrongly accused, will be rehabilitated immediately.

Kriis, the bribed Dji-Kas, will have to answer for his treason.
Does this clear us of our duty to solve the murder, Sebainah Janiis?
Yes, it does. I thiank you humans, and also you, Drirr, for clearing up this matter. Nothing more stands in the way of your journey.
We were a good team. Tom and Rainer, if you want, I will accompany you on the journey. I could do with a little excitement.
Gladly, Drirr! I'm happy to have you with us.
Tom and Rainer, I've always made impulsive decisions.

I would also like to join you for a while. After what has happened herer, I would like to get away from everything.

A trip will do me good, and my modest magical talents can certainly be useful to you. What do you say?
Naturally you are welcome, Sira! We probably have a long journey ahead of us and the more who join us, the better!
Although Akiir's tragic plan has left a feeling of sadness, I am glad that everything is finally cleared up.

Tom and Rainer, you are still welcome guests here in Jirinaar. When you are ready to begin your journey, speak to me. I now declare the meeting ended.

Tom, Rainer, Drirr and Sira leave the Sebainah's room.

Well that was quite a mouthful. We now have our fourth party member, and we are free to leave the island.

Let's look a little at Sira.

So Sira's baseline stats aren't that impressive. She's better than Rainer, obviously, and at long range she even has a pretty decent cap. But of course, what we're really here for is her magic.

When she joins the party, she can cast these three spells. View of Life tells us how much life the enemies have. Frost Splinter is a single target frost spell, doing decent damage and making the enemy lose his next turn. Light healing is light healing. Let's go check in with Fasiir, he's probably happy to be free. Many of Sira's spells cost one of the the seeds we found walking around the island.

Fasiir gives us a pretty neat dagger. It can be used as an item to cast a lightning spell. It's generally not a bad idea to give most of these things to Rainer, as they in no way depend on your stats to do damage. Drirr and Tom can often do more damage by hitting things, and Sira is a mage in her own right.

This spell right here, Frost Avalanche, is the most ridiculously overpowered spell in the game. Frost Splinter freezes one enemy. Frost Crystal freezes one row of enemies, Frost Avalanche freezes... All enemies. The only real limitation on it is its somewhat prohibitive cost, but as I've said before, in Albion, drinking potions is a free action. That one spell takes Sira from a very strong character to Literally Breaking The Game.

What can you tell me about Bradir
You can imagine that I have mixed feelings about him. One should not want to ruin the life of another, evn out of friendship.
What can you tell me about Akiir
I am trying to forgive Akiir because he was in an extreme situation. I'm sure he was not himself.

How about Bradir?

How have your guild companions reacted, Bradir?
I don't know what to say. They have expressed their understanding by making me head of the guild. It was an indescribably good feeling to hear that.
Don't worry about it anymore, Bradir. You were in a hopeless situation and your sense of friendship honors you.
Thank you for your comforting words, Drirr. I am glad you don't hold anything against me.
What can you tell me about Fasiir
I still do not have the courage to apologize to him personally, but I will do it as soon as he is less angry.

As we're about to leave...

Well, there were a couple of things we needed to pick up...

We pick up a compass and a Blue Music Crystal (pictured in the top right corner of the shop window)

The compass makes it much easier to maneuver.

Well then, I guess there's nothing to do but to leave this island.

Yes, Sebainah Janiis. I think we have to leave your beautiful city.
Excuse my interruption, Janiis, but I would like to speak to Tom briefly. Didn't we promise Argim, the Essence of the old Former place, that we would give him a music crystal?
We have more important things to do. I would like to reach the Toronto as fast as possible.
I can only hope that your promises to your friends are more reliable...
So you want to go? I hope that in spite of the sad accident with Akiir, you have a good impression of Jirinaar.

While this is in some sense mechanically optimal (There is another guy on the next island who wants a music crystal, and the one on that island is more expensive, Drirr is right. You'd be a real dick to break that promise to old Argim. So the above conversation didn't actually happen, I just wanted to show it off)

Let's head to Argim's!

I pointed out the glowing floor last update. There are two rainbow flowers in this room. What was it Argim said again?

Exercu posted:

And I.. I would like to ask you something. I often remember music, wonderful music. I miss music. I often dream of music of the crystal. Please bring me a music crystal. Promise me that.
We promise you, Argim. We'll bring you a crystal.
I'm very happy. Let me show you my gratitude.

In the large room, there are two sources of color. Connect them with a path of light.

Then enjoy the sources of power. Now farewell. I await your return.

Right. That.

Currently I'm practically standing on one of the plants. Walking to the other one gets a wall to open though I think I did it accidentally last time, so the wall is already open. Here's a screenshot of that. (I would have pretended nothing was up, but there's a distinct lack of Sira in the picture)

Inside we see this snazzy light.

Everyone gets a bit of extra stamina. Woo!

What a wonderful feeling! But what in the world was that?
There are stories about the 'Lights of the Goddess,' which exist in particularly blessed places in the world. They elevate the discoverer and bring him luck. This is the first time I have seen such a light. What an experience!
A nice tale, honorable Drirr. However, I wish I had a set of measuring devices so I could investigate the phenomenon...

There are two more of these pillars of light in there. One of them gives a modest boost to strength and the other a modest boost to speed. Drirr is now able to outpace Warniak 1 and Skrinn 1.

Let's go give Argim his music crystal.

It's wonderful to talk.

We have brought you a music crystal, Argim.

Music has returned to my life! I am happy. I am fortunate. Thank you.

It is wonderful to talk.

As we leave and we're walking back to Jirinaar for a bit, I figure that I might as well talk a bit to our newest team member.

I would like to hear something about your past, Sira.

In any case, it is good to be on a journey now so that I can get away from all that for a time.

At this point, all that really needs to be done before we head on to the next island is perhaps getting a few levels for Sira, getting a few spells for Sira, getting Sira outfitted with seeds.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sira and Drirr are really, really great. Like, Tom is the main character and he's got some stuff going for him (like the ability to use the gun, if you have ammo) but Drirr and Sira are tremendous badasses.

Rainer is forgiven every mechanical shortcoming by being the best scientist.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
A well written scientist is surprisingly rare in video games. Usually they just dispense weapons, tell you to get a MacGuffin, and/or make mutants that the hero ends up fighting. It's great to see one who is a well developed character, who actually uses his skills and knowledge appropriately.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ponzicar posted:

A well written scientist is surprisingly rare in video games. Usually they just dispense weapons, tell you to get a MacGuffin, and/or make mutants that the hero ends up fighting. It's great to see one who is a well developed character, who actually uses his skills and knowledge appropriately.
Rainer was the first reason I knew that this was a good game, back when I played it.
The ending to the murder investigation is the other: the fact that the victim was the one that hired the assassin and that it, sadly, made sense why is just a great twist. :allears:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Yeah, Rainier might be useless, but I do like the guy.

Also, yeah, Sira is so awesome. Best character in the game. And the game just GIVES her to you, it's actually kind of annoying. Usually you have to jump through hoops to break a game, but this game is like "derp, freeze EVERYONE".

Course they had to saddle her with SOME sort of weakness in the form of emotional baggage

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Oh, sure, when an Iskai dies, they have to make two humans who had nothing at all to do with it go chase him down.

But when an Iskai casually mentions that he told a human to meet him in the old Former building specifically so that he'd get murdered by wildlife, he gets completely exonerated and given a promotion.

Fuckin' racist cat-pricks. :argh:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

mauman posted:

Also, yeah, Sira is so awesome. Best character in the game. And the game just GIVES her to you, it's actually kind of annoying. Usually you have to jump through hoops to break a game, but this game is like "derp, freeze EVERYONE".

Well, sort of, you can't get the good ice spells as soon as you recruit her, which means you'd need to do a good bit of grinding on the Iskai island to bring them along from the get-go. A good idea would be to buy a bunch of them as scrolls, though, so she can use them on the next island as she levels up.

Also yes, been said before, will be said again, but Rainer is amazing for not just going "HUR DUR MAGIC CANNOT BE REAL" and instead just wistfully wishing he had a lab to analyze it, because it's quite obviously real, he just wishes he knew how it worked.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

This got added to GOG today for anyone interested in picking it up:
http://www.gog.com/game/albion

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

This got added to GOG today for anyone interested in picking it up:
http://www.gog.com/game/albion
Oh, sweet!
This is one of those games I've been hoping for a long time would be added there.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Sweet! That is pretty good news.

I'll probably push out an update tomorrow. I've come down with a bad case of "welp, I now have a job" which, while less stressful than jobseeking, is probably going to mess up my time a bit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Having a job is the second-worst. Unfortunately, having no money is THE worst. Hopefully it's at least a job you enjoy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's sort of hilarious how fondly this little game tends to be remembered by the people who remember it, despite the pretty wonky gameplay. In an RPG, a good setting, story, and characters will take you really far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Night10194 posted:

despite the pretty wonky gameplay.

The gameplay's actually pretty alright, in my opinion. Like, there's a solid base there, but sometimes it feels like they just didn't do enough with it.

Sira being able to basically one-shot everything after a while, for instance, or a lot of encounters consisting of just one type of creature, making tactical decisions often less important than raw power. I mean, I guess it IS a bit wonky in the end, but it feels like there was at least a solid engine and the issue was mostly fine tuning.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah. The gameplay's serviceable, but there never felt like there was that much to make it stand out for a CRPG of the day. It's just sort of bland and there, doing its job and not much else.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that it seems like the game is finally turning you out into the world and you've still got the guy who would be a tutorial character anywhere else - Drirr the veteran hunter.

But I suppose you have a tutorial advantage in the form of the gun if you can keep it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

I do like that it seems like the game is finally turning you out into the world and you've still got the guy who would be a tutorial character anywhere else - Drirr the veteran hunter
It's less "anywhere else" and more that we got used to the idiotic Bioware tradition of never having side characters more kickass than the one you designed. Works for a power fantasy, bad practice for storytelling.

• Locked thread