Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think I got to the part where things turn celtic or thereabouts, but after that I sort of got lost and didn't get anywhere. Or I was getting my rear end kicked by monsters. Fun game, but sometimes very maze-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Well, it's also implied by the conversation between Rainer and the local expert that it's sort of two different ways of going at the problem. The Iskai never really considered the human way because they hit on their magical way of doing things, while the humans had no access to the Iskai way and so did things differently. It's sort of a parallel technological development rather than one being advanced and the other primitive, as noted by Rainer and Fasiir having a long conversation where both gain some better insight into what the other's doing. Fasiir's a local equivalent of a scientist, their science and scholarship just works out differently. I really appreciate that, as someone who studies history and gets really sick of people talking about how 'dumb' ancient peoples were.

They weren't dumb, they were people making decisions as best they could with the information they had. Unlike with the Iskai, the information they had might've been wrong, but 'primitive' people still have all the problem solving faculties anyone else does and still try to use them the same as anyone else, and I really like the game trying to get that across.

Also, at least so far in the game, we don't know how long the Iskai have been around or had a civilization when compared to humans. It isn't like humans and them evolved at the exact same time, at least as far as I can remember. It might be possible for them to reach a level on par with the technological humans given time and some prodding from their new arrivals.

• Locked thread