Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Holy poo poo I'm managing my first campaign and it's kicking my rear end. We're having our kickoff Saturday, and I'm just terrified everything's going to fall apart. Dear lord there aren't enough hours in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

:derp: :siren: EVERYHTING IS FALLING APART!!! :siren: :derp:

Internet was supposed to be installed yesterday, but there was trouble getting access to the utilities room, so they had to reschedule. Best case scenario is we get internet installed the day of the kickoff tomorrow. Lawn signs are getting delivered to the office today, so I have to be in the office to accept them, despite needing to be in other places, to do other things, at the same time. Campaign lit, which I thought was being delivered to the office, is instead being dropped off at my house later today. Walk packets still need to be assembled, which is my #1 priority. The candidate is busy all day, and has been for a while. I haven't had any luck recruiting volunteers, and no one seems able to help me. I'm also the only paid staff member.

:suicide:

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Baronash posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did everything go?

Fairly well, actually. I managed to get a friend to help me out the day before, and it's amazing what even just a single extra pair of hands can do. In the 24 hours before, I managed to take things from 'completely hosed' to 'under control.' Internet got installed during the kickoff, lawn signs got delivered 30 minutes into it (should have been delivered the night before...), and a bunch of other things didn't go according to plan, but we were able to roll with the punches. I think a lot of my anxiety was because I've never done this before, and got thrown into a bad situation.

Spacebump posted:

I might be managing a smaller campaign in next year's primary. The highest staff position I've had on campaigns in the past is field director. Are there any good books on dos/don'ts for campaign managers?
Get your office, and get it in order ASAP. I had trouble finding reasonable insurance for our office, and that really pushed back our move-in date further that it should have. Once we could move in, the office still didn't have internet access, a dedicated printer, etc. Not having a centralized campaign location, an office to work out of, and essential campaign items will screw you hard. If something comes up that pushes back your timeline for getting these things, then it's pushing back the timeline your your entire campaign. Don't let that happen.

Also, get a few dedicated volunteers ASAP. As I mentioned above, having just a single extra person helping me out allowed me to turn my situation around. No matter how hard or efficiently you work, there will be times where you need more than just yourself to get everything done.

• Locked thread