Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus, mooseontheloose, you're still doing this? You either have the patience of a saint or you have an unhealthily high tolerance for pain and bullshit. The last campaign I worked for was almost a year ago and now I'm at an office job. Campaign jobs can be fun, but the magic wears off after a while.

However, I did do some GOTV phonebanking for the winner of a special election for the New York State Assembly earlier in May. I couldn't vote in it on account of living less than two blocks north of where the district begins, so I decided to do that after work instead. It was a very strange election from the start- the Democratic machine candidate had a snafu at the Board of Elections and didn't make it on the ballot, so the Democratic line was vacant for the election. The three Democrats that clamored for the seat (there was a Republican candidate, but his base of support is solely the ultra-Orthodox Jewish Lubavitchers, who are headquartered in a small part of the district, so he had no shot) ended up being on different party lines, and all three of them ran on one issue- tenants' rights. As this article explains (please excuse the horrible first paragraph- the NY Times put this in the Sunday Metro section and their audience is mostly the kind of people who can relate to sending their West Indian nanny home after a long day's work), Crown Heights and Prospect-Lefferts Gardens stand to lose a lot if New York state rent regulation laws aren't renewed this year, as they must be every three years, because it has a high concentration of rent regulated buildings compared to the rest of New York City.

The Democrat who was closest to the Brooklyn machine, Shirley Patterson (who ran on the Independence Party line), talked the talk, but she got money from a developer who owns some buildings in the district, so it was pretty clear she wasn't going to walk the walk if she won- not to mention that I hardly saw any signs for her in the district until a week before the special election. Geoffrey Davis ran on the "Love Yourself Party" line (your guess is as good as mine as to why it's named that), and while he was more visible on campaign literature, he ended up placing dead last with less than 5% of the vote. The winning candidate was Diana Richardson, who ran on the Working Families Party line. She took no money from developers, and when she spoke at a meeting of the Crown Heights Tenants Union, she gave the entire room her personal cell phone number, which is both incredibly courageous and kinda stupid. Also, she might be younger than some of the campaign veterans that have posted in previous iterations of this thread. The message is clear- the tide may be finally turning against the real estate lobby. Of course, this is just one district, and if the rent regulations are renewed (they probably will be), a lot can happen in the three years before they need to be renewed again. But I have hope.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

New York (like any place) seems like it is a tough place to be, especially if you are anti-development/anti-real estate.
I'd like to think that New York's going through a seismic shift right now, but as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist I can't be too sure. Even before this year's developments in Albany, Zephyr Teachout won almost 40% of the vote in the Democratic primary in spite of the fact that not many people knew who she was. Bear in mind, this was when Andrew Cuomo's approval ratings defied all logical explanation by being healthily over 50% (it's now in the mid-40s among all New Yorkers, and it's in the mid-30s among NY Democrats). A little populism goes a long way. And of course, you've got the fact that the head of both houses of the State Legislature were indicted on corruption charges because Preet Bharara is actually walking the walk of rooting out Albany's rotten culture, instead of half-assing it like Cuomo has.

It's not even halfway through the first year of Cuomo's second term and already people are clamoring for Bharara, state AG Eric Schneiderman, and state comptroller Tom DiNapoli to run for governor in 2018. If this leftward momentum continues into the 2016 elections, Cuomo and his more-GOP-than-Democratic agenda will be on the ropes. But a lot can happen in a year and a half. I highly doubt Bill de Blasio will run, partially because he's running for re-election as NYC mayor in 2017, partially because he's an oblivious idiot in spite of the fact that he's enacted some good things (universal pre-K, five paid sick days for practically everyone who works in NYC, practically no business can run a credit check on you for employment), demagoguery towards protesters notwithstanding.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 20, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I'd like to think that New York's going through a seismic shift right now, but as a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist I can't be too sure.
I was right in that it's going though a shift. Unfortunately, it's a shift in the wrong direction. Rent regulation laws expired yesterday and the leaders of the two houses of the state legislature can't agree on anything to bring them back with one day left in the session, because I guess they're the only members of each house whose opinions count; Cuomo wants to combine renewed rent regulations, including extending a tax break that comes with it that developers have used to build luxury condos with no affordable units in them, with a private school tax credit that's both another attack on public education and a giveaway to religious fucknuts (both Christian AND Jewish); and I sincerely doubt mayoral control of NYC schools will be renewed, because heaven forbid they give control to someone who doesn't want to ruin city schools like Bloomberg did. Please, do not ever be optimistic about anything in politics. poo poo like this is why I don't work in it anymore- it's one crushing defeat after another until you just wish *insert politician you really hate here* was dead.

I saw a couple of job postings for a recently-elected state senator's office south of my current district who's an OK guy, but I refuse to work for anyone in Albany because it's such a clusterfuck. Also, the dad of my ex-girlfriend's best friend works for him, and I really don't want to be pulled back into the crazy world they occupy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 17, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Special primary election in northeast Queens Thursday! Why Thursday? I'm not sure! Supposedly it's because of Rosh Hashanah but that starts on Sunday. Whatever, I'm not the kind of Jew who celebrates it.

I'd help out with it but I'm already busy doing not-campaign things for my job, and even if I wanted to, there isn't a single subway stop in that neighborhood. Even though white people have always represented this particular part of Queens on the city level and in both houses of the state legislature, it's incredibly diverse. White people make up over 30%, Hispanics and black people make up around 15% each, and Asians (both South and East) make up another 30%+. So naturally two of the major candidates are white, including the establishment Democrat-backed Barry Grodenchik (a former Assemblyman) and the labor- and Daily News-backed Rebecca Lynch (who worked for the city's Community Affairs department). The only non-white candidate who has a chance is Ali Najmi, an attorney and civic activist who's aiming to be the first South Asian elected official in city government. He has the NY Times' blessing. The state senator who represents the district, true to his bizarre nature, endorsed a nobody businessman who's also Sikh, but he's got no chance. It'll be an interesting fight. There's a not insignificant Republican presence in the district, but the GOP doesn't win City Council elections outside of Staten Island (in fact, there's a second vacant seat in the southern district of that borough, but gently caress Staten Island).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone experienced with both NGP VAN and Nationbuilder. I've been asked to consider both and it just seems like NGP VAN is way more expensive. I assume that's because it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone have thoughts on the two services?
Funny how this month-old post just so happened to be the last one in this thread. Even if it weren't, I was gonna post in this thread about how if NGP VAN weren't a perpetually buggy piece of poo poo, this whole snafu with the Bernie Sanders campaign never would have happened. Everyone here who's worked on Democratic campaigns knows what I'm talking about. It's vital to have a contact there in case things go wrong, which they most certainly will. I remember the small political consulting firm I used to work for spent a lot of time actively looking for alternatives to NGP VAN and performing phone interviews with the people behind them.

If you must choose only one, use Nationbuilder, end of story. I've been on a couple of campaigns that have used both, but after this clusterfuck, NGP VAN is going to lose a hell of a lot of luster, and I'm sure campaigns across America will take notice.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 19, 2015

• Locked thread