Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know this was vaguely touched upon in the last thread, but I want to get into running as a candidate for state politics. I'm an Iowan (currently in Chicago) who watched Joni Ernst get elected in November and that has set me on my current course. I'm not a college grad (I have a diploma in Culinary Arts from a local CC, and did one semester as a theatre student before rightfully getting the hell out), and I've spent the last few years helping start up a theatre company in Chicago, as well as working as a bartender in the city.

Basically, how can I move the current course I'm on to get to a point where I can run for office (without going back to school)? My plan is to move back to Iowa sometime next summer and get to volunteering with a campaign, and probably getting in contact with some of the more local candidates to try and get a job. Right call? Am I crazy for even thinking about this? I mean, I figure if I start with running for state senate or legislature, I can work my way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hi all, I'm back. I asked earlier about running for state office, and I'd like to thank you for all the information. Hearing it from people who have been in this for a while is as good as advice can get, and I certainly didn't think I could just decide to run one day and magically start to gain support through the power of my amazing speeches given in public areas unsolicited. I'm moving back to Iowa at the end of January, and I'm gonna try to get a job with a campaign somewhere, whether it be super local or more state-wide (there's the other US Senate seat up for vote this year, as well as a local state rep retiring, so there will be a need, I feel), so what's the best place to look for those? I've already taken a look at the links in the OP, and signed up for the Jobsthatareleft group, but if there are openings, is that where they'll be? Or is it more of a Craigslist/newspaper classifieds sort of thing, or even just a "hey I know a guy" situation? If I can't find something I have a feasible backup plan, but it's not something that would earn me super duper amounts of money (my only experience is retail/food service, and I'd rather not go back, but I could definitely get a job as a Pharmacy Technician), and I figure the best way to meet people who are involved in the community is to volunteer/work for a campaign.

• Locked thread