Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know one of those worker bees you see in the background of a Sorkin show who aren't a main character.

That's me. That is everyone in politics.

Also, thinking about getting a policy degree. Does anyone here have thoughts on that?

As in a Masters of Public Affairs or Public Policy? It's a good degree to have and just having my MPA and Peace Corps service I'm already interviewing with 4 different agencies. If you want to work with the Feds or a big city directly, rather than campaign work, I'd highly recommend it. Plus, its 90% the same skill set as MBAs while being half the cost, so it also works for private jobs as well as long as you can bullshit well in an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yep, what I was talking about. You'll learn a good amount of stuff there, and some of them are able to be done in just a year or part time. The average salary is about ~75k public sector, 85/90k private (mostly consulting). If this one is anything like my program, it'll be heavy on statistics (using SAS or SPSS or R), monitoring and evaluation, economics, law, program design and client/internal management. It's a very broad degree that can work in just about any job you can think of.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

crazy people don't like me

How do managers deal with crazy candidates, like your Sharon Angles, Ben Carsons or Lincoln Chafees? Is it just a slog for your paycheck and hope you made them shut up enough to win, or are there methods that help mitigate the crazy egoists?

• Locked thread