Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Media/Press forever baffles me what their tracks are.

Doing the same in government/official side, or a private public affairs consulting firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

are you more of a jonah ryan or a malcolm tucker?

98% of men who work in campaigns want to be Malcolm and are Jonah.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yard sign obsessives are morons, but I think the backlash from campaign professionals is getting a little too strong the other way. "Yard signs don't vote!" Yeah, but neither do TV ads, and we spend a huge percentage of our budget and effort on those! And even though a TV ad has more messaging than just a candidate's name, the average person doesn't take all that much away from the average campaign TV spot other than "hmm, that person seems good" or "hmm, that person sounds terrible," hardly more of a message than you get from a candidate's name plastered on a sign.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

Keep in mind that you have to be aware of exactly how much each person donated. You can't have a big jar of change from an unknown donor on your FEC report (or at least it looks very sketchy) even if it's only $20 or so.

I don't do federal campaigns so I can't speak to FEC rules but in my state, legislative/state level races are allowed to report contributions of up to $100 in cash from anonymous folks for this kind of situation. You have a booth at the fair with a jar asking for donations, a few people put in $5 each and you can report $45 (or whatever up to $100) worth of anonymous "small dollar contributions." So if people want to do this they might be able to, just check the rules with the appropriate regulator.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

NGP VAN has challenges if you want to do really high-tech things with it - if you've got PhDs in data science on your campaign staff like the presidentials do or you're a developer for campaign software that interfaces with the voter file, you're going to have very valid complaints about the platform. But for your ordinary campaign, it's fine.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Weird question. It's not for a campaign I work for, but it's for a politician that I think is okay. Someone set up an attack website against him, but there's no indication of who is paying for it and the domain was registered anonymously.
I assume it's going to be a state by state thing, but if I've got a big book of election law in my state, how would I even figure out the rules?

Is there some kind of Ethics and Elections or Public Disclosure commission or something? I bet with some googling (or call and ask your secretary of state's office) you can find who the commission in question is, they probably have a hotline you can call and ask a question. You might have to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back but I've found my state's election commission staff quite helpful for answering real or hypothetical questions that I can't figure out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

Like how do they go 0-and-a-bunch and not re-evaluate their strategy?

It's all somebody else's fault, it's "the establishment" keeping them down, Democrats and Republicans are basically the same you know? They're just two corporate parties, and Debbie Wasserman Schultz being a kinda crappy chair also somehow means the local Buttfuq County Democratic Party is in league with Monsanto. We're trying to make real change here, the system is broken, and we need a revolution rather than making incremental forward progress towards improvement as has been the process of change on pretty much every issue in history!

• Locked thread