Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Since we don't (I think) have anyone else working on the tech/digital side of politics, I can also answer your nerd questions about being a nerd in politics. I do software engineering/big data work for a large committee in DC. Also willing to just rant about how political journalists cover technology in politics (spoiler: very poorly).

This field will always suck you back in, no matter how hard you try to escape. be awarrrrreeeee

Monkey Fury fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm going to be the media guy for a candidate, it'll be my first campaign.

I was thinking of using Nationbuilder, it seems like an easy option.
I've been running a wordpress for a local committee as pretty much a hobby project but if someone is paying me I think I should use something professional.

What are some of the common options for website hosting and fundraising?

Ted Cruz rolls with Wordpress! Don't be like Ted Cruz!

(actually it's fine if you know what you're doing)

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

gohuskies posted:

NGP VAN has challenges if you want to do really high-tech things with it - if you've got PhDs in data science on your campaign staff like the presidentials do or you're a developer for campaign software that interfaces with the voter file, you're going to have very valid complaints about the platform. But for your ordinary campaign, it's fine.

If your campaign can afford PhDs to work on your data, you shouldn't even have to bother with dumb ol' NGP-VAN for doing your modeling work. IIRC the national party can/will do data agreements with state parties/individual campaigns that give direct access to where the voter file + matched consumer data is stored.

G-Hawk posted:

For the record there is a reason every serous campaign uses van even though everyone bitches about it. The alternatives are way, way, worse. Nationbuilder is genuinely awful, I haven't used PDI but I've heard it is too. I wish ngpvan had competition, it needs competition, but it doesn't exist right now.

This is the ultimate and unfortunate truth. "Everything loving sucks" is pretty much the story of political tech vendors. Nationbuilder is hot garbage and if you are running a Democratic campaign and aren't using the voter file maintained by the DNC, you are being negligent (I have very strong feelings here).

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm not gonna pretend NGP VAN is top-tier or anything, but as a programmer, I've got to say that this strikes me as a pretty understandable mistake. As I understand it, they went to push an update, there was a bug that wasn't detected, and then they fixed it less than an hour later.

Let's just say, that modern programming/devops practices -- cloud-based infrastructure, continuous integration, production/staging environments -- aren't always in play here. There is some truly :stare: worthy poo poo happening, and it is endemic across the whole of political tech consulting/vendors. We are great about those things where I am, and it leads to some unpleasant phone calls with the folks who aren't.

• Locked thread