Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I got an undergraduate B.A. in Business Economics (accounting + economics + finance) and have been working at banks and hedge funds for 4 years. While I've briefly considered pursuing something like a PhD in finance, I don't have the aptitude for graduate level math. I want to switch industries to something more qualitative and political through a Master's program. I'm not sure I have the fortitude for a PhD but I'd consider it afterwards.

Ideally, I want to try and migrate towards the more PR/media oriented side of things, because the strategy and creativity involved in crafting messages and responses for a campaign sounds a lot more interesting to me than being a policy wonk, though I still find a policy wonk more interesting than being an quantitative based investor. I like the intellectual challenge of deciding the appropriate response and messaging for a recent event, like Hillary and the email blowup or deciding how to comment on the student debt issue. I also like how it's more about people and your ability to read or influence them, whether it's the politicians or the voters.

I'm currently at the very initial stage of researching programs in a range of areas, including National Security/Securities Policy Study, Public Policy/Administration, International Relations, International Political Economics, Legislative Affairs, Media and Strategic Management or American Government to name a few.

Advice? I'd love to do a job that has a title like "political strategist" or work for a campaign. I'm worried about applying for these programs with no real relevant experience. I'm worried about the job prospects after the program. My background is competitive enough I'd shoot for a name brand institution like Georgetown or Hopkins but also weak enough I might end up at a 2nd tier program. If I'm in the wrong place please send me along.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread