Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm helping with my first fundraiser, we're doing a Democratic Debate watching party.

Are there some tried and true approaches to fundraising events that I should stick with until I'm good at this kind of thing?

I was thinking it had been for the Republican debates it'd be fun to do a fundraiser that's kind of a combination of a drinking game with a swear-jar. You'd pledge dimes, quarters, dollars etc. And every time a candidate references Reagan, you put some money in the jar etc.

For a Democratic Debate, I don't think that'd be as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was thinking Mason jars with nametags for that exact reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to be the media guy for a candidate, it'll be my first campaign.

I was thinking of using Nationbuilder, it seems like an easy option.
I've been running a wordpress for a local committee as pretty much a hobby project but if someone is paying me I think I should use something professional.

What are some of the common options for website hosting and fundraising?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to be helping manage my first campaign so I'm interested in anything to do with that kind of stuff.

Recommended platforms for websites.
How to best use Facebook.
What the gently caress is an Instagram?

What techniques are effective for GOTV?
How do I get people to actually vote for my guy?

How do I attach a giant sign to the roof of my car so that it won't flop over while I drive it in a parade?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To be clear, I'm not running for office, but I'm running the campaign for a guy who is.

It's for state legislature, non-competitive district, ultra low turnout. All we've got to do is win the Primary.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been shanghaied into a debate watching party.

In January NBC is doing a Democratic Debate and I'm supposed to put together the tech for a big debate party.
Anyone know how I can stream the debate and be assured that it'll work, I heard the CNBC one wasn't available for streaming online, anyone know how I'd plan for this kind of thing in advance?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
County and State parties haven't been too helpful, but I don't know if it's a problem on their side or at our committee's level.

The big thing I want to avoid is having a big party and no way to watch the debate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kaal posted:

Hmmm... well if nothing else then just give your local NBC affiliate a call and figure out what needs to happen. I would think that the best option would be to simply have a cable network license, but I'm sure that NBC will also provide an option for online streaming. CNBC actually provided an option for that, as did CNN previously, but CNBC made it premium subscription only. At the very least, you'll be able to give someone money and you will be able to watch it.

I'm going to talk to my committee chairwoman on Wednesday. Our district has lovely turnout and one good event might be a good way to start moving things in the right direction. Someone at the County or State level is experienced with this kind of thing so maybe I can get them to volunteer someone to help me out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone experienced with both NGP VAN and Nationbuilder. I've been asked to consider both and it just seems like NGP VAN is way more expensive. I assume that's because it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone have thoughts on the two services?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I literally paid for NGP VAN on Monday.
:negative:

My client is seriously skittish about the news from yesterday. We don't have any voter data to steal, but it's one of those things where it sorta hints that there's a lot of other problems.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I feel better about my choice then.

I'm not quite a PhD Data scientist. I've got a High School diploma and I'm pretty good at Sudoku though, so it's just a matter of reading the Wikipedia article on Kolmogorov-Smirnov testing and I'll be fine.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Feeling kinda pissed at NGP VAN now, Like I said, I paid them on the 14th and I still don't have a website up. Nationbuilder had me going on day one of my trial.

I guess it's Christmas but I think I'm going to ask for a refund for this month.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I've found the problem.
We signed up and the assumption was that our website would be joeforcongress.ngpvanhost.com, but they did it as joeshmo.ngpvanhost.com
I'd been trying to login on joeforcongress but it didn't work. I guess I could have pieced together the clues but it didn't help that I haven't heard back from their support.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh god, this NGP website builder thing is based on Drupal.

brb. gotta learn how to drupal really quick.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Weird question. It's not for a campaign I work for, but it's for a politician that I think is okay. Someone set up an attack website against him, but there's no indication of who is paying for it and the domain was registered anonymously.
I assume it's going to be a state by state thing, but if I've got a big book of election law in my state, how would I even figure out the rules?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One big thing I found is that if a group spends more than $500, they need to register as a PAC. Registering a domain, a wordpress account and a google for work account is all under 100 a year I think so no dice there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can't you find out who/what owns the website and work backwards from there?

Hosted on wordpress, registered anonymously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got to assist with debate prep for a candidate.

This is a pretty low level race, so mostly gonna be 30 second answers on issues, I think. Not much back and forth unless someone makes a direct attack or something.

Anyone know a good list of likely questions that we can practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

literally this big posted:

Holy poo poo I'm managing my first campaign and it's kicking my rear end. We're having our kickoff Saturday, and I'm just terrified everything's going to fall apart. Dear lord there aren't enough hours in a day.

Good luck!

• Locked thread