Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010
Just to present yet another wildly varying experience, I also have very thick, fine, frizz-prone hair that got greasy super drat quickly (I have waist-length hair, but also bangs, hence the concern), and a couple years ago I put in a lot of time/effort to wean off shampoo. The main issue I wanted to resolve was the greasiness, but I also drank the anti-sulfates koolaid, so this definitely influenced my uh determination. IIRC, methods used (not all at the same time, I gave each at least two or three months of consistent trial) were water-only washes, conditioner washes, and as a last ditch effort, sulfate-free shampoo used once a week. Water-only left my hair limp and greasy-looking even when it wasn't, same thing with co-washing (though I should note that my hair loving hates rinse-off conditioner with a burning passion). Sulfate-free shampoos gave me a flakey as gently caress scalp, which is an issue I had never, ever had previously (and which persisted through at least three brands of sulfate-free shampoo).

Eventually I admitted my woes to a hair dresser friend and she lovingly rolled her eyes at me and told me to a) buy better shampoo, b) use it every 2-3 days, and c) get by with dry shampoo on off days.

The transition took as long as it took for me to find a good shampoo and dry shampoo (Batiste's products are great, fwiw), so less than a week, with no gross transitional period. Now I generally shampoo because the dry shampoo in my bangs is starting to itch (usually on day 3), not because of the rest of my hair is looking greasy. If I didn't have bangs/put product in said bangs I'd probably shampoo once a week or so. You don't need to ditch shampoo wholesale to get oil production to chill out, especially if you don't have any existing skin irritation, dry scalp, or other issues caused/exacerbated by a harsh shampoo formula.

Which is all to say that it's pretty much a crapshoot in terms of what's going to work best for you, imo, and that sulfate-free, no 'poo and other trends in hair care are not one size fits all solutions: they absolutely can be the perfect solution for any given person, as other posters here have experienced, they just aren't the One True Path. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread