Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Counterpoint: I made a third attempt to ditch shampoo recently and have stuck with the plan this time. A few times a week I will hit it with some baking soda/coconut oil thing my wife made but otherwise I just give it a good water-only rinse every day. For the first week or so my hair was very greasy and I had dandruff like crazy, but after that it cleared up. My hair feels and looks a lot better, and any residual dandruff and "greasy" feel is far less than what I had while using shampoo. The frizz is gone, and for the first time in my life I've actually had a few compliments on how my hair looks.

So, as to how to do it, get a shorter haircut for the transition period, stop using shampoo, and instead give your hair a thorough rinse and scrub instead. You're still washing your hair, just not with a surfactant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

eonblue174 posted:

I live in an older house, and my roommate would wash her hair with baking soda. That seemed to clog up the tub drain something fierce and I had to use a plunger and drain cleaner regularly (every few weeks) to get the tub to drain properly. What came up was little caked up pads of stuff, almost as if a bread ingredient was regularly put down the drain.

Baking soda alone is not going to clog your drain unless you're pouring the better part of a box at once, and you allow it to dry in place. You probably just have a big ol' hair clog that needs to be snaked out.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How does this work if you use hair wax or other products?
Do you all just walk around with flat hair all day?

Depends on what style you're going for, and what products you're using. If it can be washed out with warm water there's no reason it wouldn't work. I've never had any dramatically styled hair, but with the natural oils intact my hair has a fair amount of loft and stays in place way better than it did before.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

I'm still parsing this sentence, hang on.

The hair is dense (super thick), not coarse (fine) and not stiff (soft). Not that difficult to understand.

• Locked thread