Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alucard posted:

Can't do Monday, need to set contracts and give some time between the drop to 24 and contract setting. I'll email tonight and let people know Friday is the deadline.

It's already an arbitrary change to the rules. It should be decided on by the league. At the very least it should be the 24th. That provides plenty of time to handle free agency, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Here is the reasoning:

The original timeline with August 18 roster shrinkage was designed to give owners 1 week for free agent movement after the rosters decrease to 24, so that any players that may have been held can become eligible again after a large portion of drafted players get cut.

After the roster shrinkage, contracts for players are set, with some period to allow me to tally and manually enter contract information (thus, a locking of player movement for 5 days)

The free agency period before the start of the season is intended to allow a little over a week of player shifting and undrafted free agent movement prior to week one kickoff.

The original timeline was working back the clock, one week at a time, to ensure that there was adequate time to make decisions and act on them given a few moving parts. My suggestion to move roster cuts to Friday changes nothing of the original schema or drafting strategy, and extending past Sunday provides, at best, an incentive to dawdle, and at worst, a penalty to those who cut earlier than the preseason game completion.

Any time cut deeper into the roster cut period eats away at time in other stages of the schedule before the season start. I am happy to change the schedule, but bear in mind the reasoning behind the existing schedule when suggesting pushbacks for the sake of convenience or higher certainty in one's own roster, especially considering that there are dependencies in the rest of the pre-season timeline.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I understand that, and appreciate the explanation. However by far the most important part of this session is when players decide who to cut and assign contracts. At the very least there should be an equal opportunity for all teams to evaluate all of their players. Cutting things off on a Friday eliminates a significant portion of that evaluation. Personally I don't buy the argument that we concern ourselves with when cuts are made. If someone made a cut too soon that's on them.

Of the periods discussed I feel free agency is the least important. We have already had ample opportunity to select players to check out before contracts. If it were up to me the schedule would be cutoffs due on midnight Monday after the third week of preseason. Contracts due on midnight Monday after the fourth week of preseason. And regular waivers starting either Wednesday Sept 9 or Monday Sept 7 depending on how much time you need for contracts. Thus the part that's reduced is the no lock FCFS portion originally scheduled to go for 11 days.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I understand that, and appreciate the explanation. However by far the most important part of this session is when players decide who to cut and assign contracts. At the very least there should be an equal opportunity for all teams to evaluate all of their players. Cutting things off on a Friday eliminates a significant portion of that evaluation. Personally I don't buy the argument that we concern ourselves with when cuts are made. If someone made a cut too soon that's on them.

Of the periods discussed I feel free agency is the least important. We have already had ample opportunity to select players to check out before contracts. If it were up to me the schedule would be cutoffs due on midnight Monday after the third week of preseason. Contracts due on midnight Monday after the fourth week of preseason. And regular waivers starting either Wednesday Sept 9 or Monday Sept 7 depending on how much time you need for contracts. Thus the part that's reduced is the no lock FCFS portion originally scheduled to go for 11 days.

I'll say this, given my unique situation it is nice that I get to watch a BUF-CLE pre-season game tonight (Thursday) before deciding cuts. I would say it gives me a slight unfair advantage.

Speaking of unfair advantages, would anyone like to move a 2016 FA pick for Josh Gordon? This way instead of whichever free agent you draft with that pick next year, you definitely get Josh Gordon. I'm not "ready for the next level" this year and I won't be next year, but maybe you are/will be?

:siren: ALL OFFERS ENTERTAINED :siren:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'll admit it: I have no idea how to assign contracts.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

oldskool posted:

I'll admit it: I have no idea how to assign contracts.

How many guys did you draft in the FA draft? Divide that by 3. That is how many contracts you assign in 5, 3, or 1 year lengths. If you have 1 guy left over you get another 5 year contract. If you have 2 then you get an extra 5 and a 3 year contract.

If you drafted 9 guys you get 3 5-year contracts, 3 3-year contracts, and 3 1-year contracts. If you drafted 8 guys then you get 3 5-year contracts, 3 3-year contracts, and 2 1-year contracts.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

jabro posted:

How many guys did you draft in the FA draft? Divide that by 3. That is how many contracts you assign in 5, 3, or 1 year lengths. If you have 1 guy left over you get another 5 year contract. If you have 2 then you get an extra 5 and a 3 year contract.

If you drafted 9 guys you get 3 5-year contracts, 3 3-year contracts, and 3 1-year contracts. If you drafted 8 guys then you get 3 5-year contracts, 3 3-year contracts, and 2 1-year contracts.

Calculating available contracts happens after cuts though, I think. Not necessarily all the guys you draft, right?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You only get as many contracts as you have players on your 24-man squad that don't have a contract.

We'll give you the "advantage" of the buffalo-cleveland game, as it is balanced by the fact that you are considering players from buffalo, and cleveland.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

So with 7 picks, I'd have 3 5-year, 2 3-year and 2 1-year, right?

...where do I assign these things, and why is this league's site so unintuitive to me?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You email em to me

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I guess we're set on doing things by Friday? I'm really not a fan but if that's what the league feels is best then I guess that's what we do.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I guess we're set on doing things by Friday? I'm really not a fan but if that's what the league feels is best then I guess that's what we do.

Well, you make good points (increasing information and decreasing injury risk is a perk), and so does Alucard (some time is required to make roster moves and manually set contracts, and the WW helps let people act on information and injuries already). Ultimately the commissioners set the rules, and he's done so in a way that is fair and clearly articulated. He's been very responsive to league input already this offseason (so it's probably good you provided some constructive feedback) so I'm satisfied that he gave your suggestion due consideration. The commish made a judgment and explained it, so I'm happy to roll with it - it's how I like things to go in the leagues I run too.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Since there want a huge uproar, let's go with the current schedule this year and have a vote on a new proposed schedule for next year?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Most teams are already down to 24 anyway.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Sent out an email about the next steps, including contract setting and one last reshuffling of teams before the contracts get set.

As I said, we should try to propose a reorg of the draft / contract / roster cuts for next year to accommodate the longer timeframe of the slow draft. Maybe push back everything by a week and only have a very short free agent acquisition before week 1?

Ninek11
Aug 22, 2011
TRADINGS ALERT

Big Picture and The Brownies Are Rebuilding have agreed a trade.

Big Picture give up:
Justin Forsett
2016 Rookie Draft 1st rounder
2016 FA Draft 3rd rounder

TBAR give up:
Ameer Abdullah

I believe the trade is currently up for Commish approval, but just wanted to make the announcement so that TBAR could endorse.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Damnit Jabro why couldn't you spare Jordy from your voodoo magics. What did he ever do to you. :colbert:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Forever_Peace posted:

Damnit Jabro why couldn't you spare Jordy from your voodoo magics. What did he ever do to you. :colbert:

Some teams just have it and some teams are the Browns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I need to get some space for a kicker. Anyone interested in a trade? Either a 2 for 1 trade, or trading for a draft pick?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I need to get some space for a kicker. Anyone interested in a trade? Either a 2 for 1 trade, or trading for a draft pick?

As a wise Spaniard once said, what are ya sellin stranger?

jabro posted:

Some teams just have it and some teams are the Browns.

Uncalled for...

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well news just came down that Jordy is out for the season. If you want him you'd be able to stash him on the IR for next year once he's declared inactive if you prefer Jordy as a franchise tag to Lynch or ARodg. Drop a line if that's something you'd want to pursue.

edit: actually, this goes for everybody that likes Jordy as a franchize tag better than whatever they currently got.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 24, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a Demaryius Thomas I can let go for 2 guys.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
For the record, my contracts are going to be:

5 years - Tre McBride and Michael Crabtree
3 years - Connor Barth
1 year - Panthers D

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
5 years - Brock Osweiler, Charles Johnson,
3 years - Jacob Tamme, Josh Hill
1 year - Nick Novak

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
5 Years: Jonas Gray, Charles Clay
3 Years: Carson Palmer
1 Year: Miami DST

JTinsdale
Jul 1, 2014
5 Years: Chris Ivory, Danny Amendola,
3 Years: Cleveland Browns Defence, Jarryd Hayne, Richard Rodgers
1 Year: Miles Austin, Josh Brown, James Starks, Deangelo Williams, Damien Williams

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I sent my contracts to Alucard last week, but reposting here for everybody else.

5: Zenner
3: Jets
1: Steve Smith

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

5 Year
Smelter, DeAndre SFO WR
Coleman, Brandon NOS WR
Darkwa, Orleans NYG RB

3 Year
Jackson, Fred BUF RB
Johnson, Gus DAL RB
Beasley, Cole DAL WR

1 Year
Hartley, Garrett PIT PK
Vinatieri, Adam IND PK
Giants, New York NYG Def

JTinsdale posted:

5 Years: Chris Ivory, Danny Amendola,
3 Years: Cleveland Browns Defence, Jarryd Hayne, Richard Rodgers
1 Year: Miles Austin, Josh Brown, James Starks, Deangelo Williams, Damien Williams

Your contracts need to be (4) 5 year, (3) 3 year, and (3) 1 year.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
5 Years:
Dwayne Allen
Alex Smith
NIck Foles
Stevie Johnson

3 Years:
Lance Dunbar
Allen Hurns
Tyrod Taylor
Kenny Britt

1 Year:
Brian Hoyer
Geno Smith
Ryan Fitzpatrick

spacejung fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 27, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
5 - Carter, Cooper
3 - Floyd, Witten
1 - Ballard, Dawson

JTinsdale
Jul 1, 2014

jabro posted:

5 Year
Smelter, DeAndre SFO WR
Coleman, Brandon NOS WR
Darkwa, Orleans NYG RB

3 Year
Jackson, Fred BUF RB
Johnson, Gus DAL RB
Beasley, Cole DAL WR

1 Year
Hartley, Garrett PIT PK
Vinatieri, Adam IND PK
Giants, New York NYG Def

Your contracts need to be (4) 5 year, (3) 3 year, and (3) 1 year.

Can I not just assign 1 year contracts to my chaff? I'm ok with taking less long term contracts?

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
5: Martellus Bennett, Theo Riddick
3: Bears
1: Gostkowski

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are rosters reset each week, or do we keep the same order until we use a WW pick?

Ninek11
Aug 22, 2011
Just as a prompt to the Commish Trio - there's a trade between Backno and myself in need of a drat good examination.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

5 Years: Jonas Gray, Charles Clay
3 Years: Carson Palmer
1 Year: Miami DST

My contracts are wrong. Jonas Gray has a 1 year contract and it should be 5 years.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
done - will check trade and there is likely to be a new 3rd commish - andio, care to weigh in? I'm okay with it.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2015

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
All good.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Bidding is now open for Tyler Lockett:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000521464/Can-t-Miss-Play-Lockett-for-63-yard-touchdown

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Ajayi isn't out for the season, Alucard. He can still come back and make some contributions second half of the season if something happens to Miller (I got him in a different goon dynasty league). :unsmith:

Ridley got the same designation. I'd have him on IR right now if the rules post didn't say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Ridley's on PUP (O), Ajayi was placed on IR designated to return (I) - The league should only allow those with an (I) designation to go on IR.

I was unaware that the official IR status allowed for anything except for being out in the full season, but the key is the status designation, not the length of time.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2015

• Locked thread