Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

YggiDee posted:

What, dare I ask, is the 'speed trap'?

This hole in Ronka:

It's already visible, so you never fall in unless you're dashing through with double dash, fast forward, etc.

Which of course means those of us who do lots of runs (like myself, alcharagia, etc) hit it loads of times. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I frequently end up falling into the speed trap just by normal dashing. :saddowns:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I did not finish this last time. I now have absolutely nothing to do this summer, so I shall attempt to finish this this time around.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Can Of Worms posted:

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

Oh, wow. I may not use this for actual logged FJF runs, but it seems like something I'd definitely want to use for warm-up runs before the Fiesta or in slower times of the year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I fell in...zero times :smuggo:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This year my goal is to not get bored by my second run.

Also, I've started working on my boss guide again. Hope to get it finished before the fiesta starts. Let me know if there's anything you'd add/change.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

This year, my goal is to remember that this exists. Third time's the charm, right? Right?? :(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

What, dare I ask, is the 'speed trap'?

I made a video of it last year.

I am going to play this loving game again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maybe it's because FFV always felt like a more lighthearted and silly game than lots of the others, but it's hard finding decent FFV fan art. Fortunately some people seem good at capturing the game's spirit

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can reverse image search that to find the gallery with the other classes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The dancer one from that gallery is great too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asiina posted:

The dancer one from that gallery is great too.

Galuf, the original twerker.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hoping for at least one run with the Berserker/Bard combo this year.

Bring it on, Gilgabot. :black101:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

W.T. Fits posted:

Hoping for at least one run with the Berserker/Bard combo this year.

Bring it on, Gilgabot. :black101:

The legendary bardarian.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I have tried this for the past two years and both times fizzled out around the midway point. I am hellbent on finishing it this year come hell or high water. I've had this game for years and I WILL FINISH IT DAMMIT.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh man, so much excitement, I'm aiming for 3 or 4 runs this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Prism posted:

The legendary bardarian.

It's funny, because Equip Harps is legitimately one of the best passives you can give a Berserker.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!
If I get Dancer again I'm definitely doing it on your hack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there any good mods for the SNES version? The GBA version lacks co-op so it's right out for me, unfortunately.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny, because Equip Harps is legitimately one of the best passives you can give a Berserker.

Which was hilarious when I found it out. Plus, I mean, what else are they going to use as passives? Counter?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Prism posted:

Which was hilarious when I found it out. Plus, I mean, what else are they going to use as passives? Counter?

I always give them Two-Handed so they do extra damage, but that's also because I've had Knight and Berserker the past two years, iirc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Xad posted:

I always give them Two-Handed so they do extra damage, but that's also because I've had Knight and Berserker the past two years, iirc.

Yeah, it really depends on what you have available, but more just in the grand scheme of every potential passive, Equip Harps is way up there.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

ultrafilter posted:

You can reverse image search that to find the gallery with the other classes.

What, you're gonna post those images and not bring up the ones he/she did for Berserker?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Prism posted:

Depends on what jobs you get.

Knights - Two-Handed or Equip Swords
Monks - Barehanded or HP+30%
Thief - Artful Dodger
Black Mage - !Black 6
White Mage - !White 6
Blue Mage - Learning or !Blue

Red Mage - !Red 3
Summoner - !Summon 5
Time Mage - !Time 6
Mystic Knight - !Spellblade 6
Berserker - :geno:

Ninja - Dual Wield
Beastmaster - Equip Whips
Bard - Equip Harps
Ranger - Equip Bows
Geomancer - :negative:

Dancer - Equip Ribbon
Dragoon - Equip Spears
Samurai - Equip Katanas or Shirahadori
Chemist - Doesn't matter what you do with your Berseker, just slap !Mix on the other three and make the game beg for mercy. :science:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 19, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

White Magic is pretty good. Boosts your magic for certain axes and you can use White Magic out of battle. Maybe Artful Dodger to raise Agility, or Shirahadori to dodge some attacks?

efb

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if you get a magic stat-giving ability to give to a berserker they will be come a poo poo-stomping all-destroying terror with the rune axe

berserkers loving own and are a great class

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

alcharagia posted:

if you get a magic stat-giving ability to give to a berserker they will be come a poo poo-stomping all-destroying terror with the rune axe

berserkers loving own and are a great class

Yeah, the Rune Axe is loving beastly with a good magic passive behind it - if it wasn't only 81 Attack (versus 127 of the Chicken Knife), it might actually be the second best weapon in the game, since it works similar to the CK (specifically, it adds an extra M multiplier based off of your Magic stat).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a low-spoiler "make sure you (don't) do this" guide for this game? I never beat it, I don't remember how far I got (...I think I rode a dragon to or from the castle in the intro?), I'd like to beat it for the first time in the upcoming Fiesta, I just don't want to find out at the end that I crippled myself by opening one too many chests or not talking to the end boss's ex-landlord and learning his secret weakness.

I don't care about story spoilers so much I just don't want to actually follow a walkthrough.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kaschei posted:

Is there a low-spoiler "make sure you (don't) do this" guide for this game? I never beat it, I don't remember how far I got (...I think I rode a dragon to or from the castle in the intro?), I'd like to beat it for the first time in the upcoming Fiesta, I just don't want to find out at the end that I crippled myself by opening one too many chests or not talking to the end boss's ex-landlord and learning his secret weakness.

I don't care about story spoilers so much I just don't want to actually follow a walkthrough.

Nah not that I can think of. There's one treasure chest near the end that you shouldn't open but it's not because you'll miss or ruin anything, it's because a dragon inside will kill you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The biggest "don't do this" I can think of is "don't think Geomancer is any good" and "don't take the Brave Blade". Maybe "don't neglect to explore the side towers in the timed sequence".

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, the Rune Axe is loving beastly with a good magic passive behind it - if it wasn't only 81 Attack (versus 127 of the Chicken Knife), it might actually be the second best weapon in the game, since it works similar to the CK (specifically, it adds an extra M multiplier based off of your Magic stat).

also if it didn't have the axe lol random damage stat or the axe lol higher miss chance stat. man axes suck

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

although tbf the rune axe only has 10% less accuracy than swords. still has the stupid random attack poo poo though

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's no real way to break the game by forgetting to do something. It guides you through pretty well.

There are some things that you should try to get depending on your jobs, but you can always post your particular jobs in the thread and ask then if there's anything you should focus on. Like maybe you get berserkers and want to farm death sickles or maybe you want to farm up some wall rings in one spot for later. If you get bard you'll want to make sure that you play every piano you come across. Every job has its quirks to make the runthrough run more smoothly, but no point going through them all before you get your job. You can also check the doc posted in the OP and look at the class section which details stuff you may want to focus on for that job.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dang, whips are actually pretty good. they add (level+agility)/128 to their M (it's bugged, but still), they've got built-in paralyze/magic, they're back-row capable. their random weapon attack modifier's nothing to write home about but if the damage calculation bug were fixed and there were just one or two more in the game they'd be a real powerhouse

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

The defense lowering properties of axes have it better than the chicken knife vs Mellusion, Necrophobe, Shinryuu and probably various gba dungeon poo poo you have no business using a berserker against.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 19, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kaschei posted:

Don't let the wolf out of jail and don't grind so much you lose interest.

That's about it, really.

Fungah! posted:

also if it didn't have the axe lol random damage stat or the axe lol higher miss chance stat. man axes suck
I imagine Equip Axes would be fun for a Ranger, at least.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rapidfire ignores Defense so it doesn't matter.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

I imagine Equip Axes would be fun for a Ranger, at least.

It's really good to give them some extra Strength until you get Rapid Fire, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Not going Berserker Risk this year since last year I wound up with Monk/Barbarian/Ninja/Barbarian and Exdeath consistently curbstomped me to the point where I just couldn't continue without deeply unfun grinding, but I'm looking forward to trying again this year! Almost two years of not finishing should help out my enthusiasm for the game.

• Locked thread