Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Run #9/Triple Crown #6 - Random Run

Knight/White Mage/Time Mage/Summoner

I think you can guess how easy this run was.

And that's all for me, was my first fiesta and I had a lot of fun! Looking forward to next year. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Yeah it was a good Fiesta this year. Did 13 runs, 10 chaos (one being berserker risk) and 3 random. 11 Triple Crowns, though one, (White/Black/Beast/Geo) should have been. Not sure why I didn't that run. The other run (Red/Ninja/Ranger/Dragoon) I couldn't figure out how to kill Omega, but did get Shinryu. Most appearances from a single class: Beastmaster at 8. With Bard in second at 5, that's probably why I got so many triple crown runs. Still have yet to get assigned Mystic Knight, as far as I can remember.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 31, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't Triple Crown on runs I probably could (and should) have. Out of 10 runs, I only didn't TC two of them. First was my first run (Chaos Berserker Risk) and that one had Berserker, Berserker, Samurai, and Dancer, and I didn't see either of those two bosses going down to that team (Omega with 2 Zerks? All those counters would've blown me to tiny little bits. And no way to disable or damage race Shin either). And run 4 was Random with Blue Mage, Black Mage, Thief, and Ninja, and I skipped Omega on that one. Partially because I didn't know about the Reflect Target strategy at the time. Though admittedly, even if I had, I might've just said "gently caress it" anyway; I don't recall wanting to take that team against him with much eagerness. I probably could've taken him with 4x Reflected Thundagas on everyone, but eh.

As for most commonly assigned job, for me it was a tie between Berserker and Dancer with 5 appearances each, though both were helped by getting assigned twice in a single run (the aforementioned Two Zerks on run #1, and my very last run was assigned Samurai/Chemist/Dancer/Dancer before I Fair'd the last one to Dragoon to get Team Earth for the hell of it). After them was 4 assignments of Blue Mage, which combined with the three times I got assigned Blue last year (through 7 runs) makes it the job I've been assigned the most in the two years I've been playing (Zerk and Dancer only got assigned once each last year, so they're tied again, this time for second).

Least appearances from one job? Time Mage. Not once in 17 runs (well, 14; I've done two No750 runs and a Classic run, so Time Magic couldn't come in on those) have I been assigned that class. I had to JF to get it just once. :eng99:

This year I also didn't get Knight, Monk, or Red Mage at all. Knight I did kind of miss, but I have no real problems with not getting the other two. ESPECIALLY after my one try at Classic last year assigned me 3 Monks and a Red Mage. It's kind of why that was my ONLY Classic run (no Natural either). gently caress Classic.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
And final fiesta of the year done. I'm gonna miss it

Blue Mage/Ranger/Chemist/Chemist

Obviously a triple crown with that mega team. Finished at lvl 32/33, almost all levels because of dragon fang grind. Everything was a breeze with blue magic and chemistry. Add some rapidfire to that for hilarious damage (32k on Omega everytime he used the "Targeting" move) and there was nothing to even begin being troublesome. Necrofobia died to dragon powered rapidfire chicken knife without getting to attack a single time. NED was a joke because of Bluemagic and Mighty Guard.

All in all seven runs and four triple crowns since I didn't feel like even trying without a decent triple crown team. Chaos is the best thing to happen to fiestas in years.

See you all next year.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

With White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Chemist it was pretty simple. The biggest bore was gathering items.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Finished my run at the eleventh hour. Surprisingly enough, Faris being a Geomancer turned out pretty well. Thanks to her magic stat, offensive mixes (well, mostly Succubus Kiss) hit like a goddamn truck, and honestly put Bartz and Lenna's damage to shame.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Finished my run at the eleventh hour. Surprisingly enough, Faris being a Geomancer turned out pretty well. Thanks to her magic stat, offensive mixes (well, mostly Succubus Kiss) hit like a goddamn truck, and honestly put Bartz and Lenna's damage to shame.

Geomancer is the exact opposite of Dragoon when it comes to being a low-tier FJF class. Geomancer is an excellent chassis to bolt skillsets onto, and there are a few classes that are cool with grabbing !Gaia for the MP-free random battle clearing (Summoner comes to mind), but if you've just got a Geomancer by itself without any synergy, the entire world is pain and suffering.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah uh, how can I check hex for a mobs health? I'm quick leaking omega but I don't know if it worked or not.

The quickleak worked both ways, he hit me with wave cannon and only the leak on my timemage wore off before I could use quick.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah uh, how can I check hex for a mobs health? I'm quick leaking omega but I don't know if it worked or not.

The quickleak worked both ways, he hit me with wave cannon and only the leak on my timemage wore off before I could use quick.

Watch 0201F054 on 16-bit.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kyrosiris posted:

Watch 0201F054 on 16-bit.

Thanks! It's absolutely working thankfully. Kniwing more about memory viewer is making this fiesta way more fun. I mean I don't remember the bard hex codes, and haven't been using them, but kniwibg I can is really neat.

I dod just find the guide that sax solo put together, and am looking through that.

Edit: also learning what speed does of all things.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 1, 2015

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

I dod just find the guide that sax solo put together, and am looking through that.
(To be clear, I only added HTML links to make it easier to navigate)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Sax Solo posted:

(To be clear, I only added HTML links to make it easier to navigate)

Ah, right sorry. That's still a poo poo ton of effort seeing how big it is though.

Anyway, Omega defeated! I made the grave mistake of attempting the zombie kill of shinryu with my bard being the hider. I had to abuse quicksaves to survive the treck from the castle to his treasure chest. Even at level 40 the bard has piss all hp.

Yeah level 40. 38 actually. I decided everyone needed to master chemist. And then of course I had to have 2 (almost 3 by like 100jp till I changed my mind on the guy) mastered samurai as well. And everyone needed to master time magic.

What can I say, bards really do make the game's trash mich easier to play against.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Omega done and dead.

As said before, I accidently quick leaked everyone but my time mage as well as omega by accident.

Shinryu killed himself.

I tried to get my bard ot at the last second to finish him off, took a few tires but I did it. Kinda hard to do when every zombie hits for like 3k damage.
Also, Zombie Krile does not ever flee, chicken knife be damned! :black101:

And finally the giant plant got curb stomped.

I didn't even bother to use !mix that fight, just boosted my stats to oblivion and then everyone save the time mage was doing 9999 damage a pop. Their lovely HP (save the goliath tonic'd chemist and samurai) were still too low to survive a single almagest however.

Now before I send my #victory to gilgabot, does revenantkikoku allow the giant cactaur photo or should I have done this without the patch?
Actually I just tweeted a pic of the battle after exdeath's sprite fades away but the name is still there.

EDIT:
Forgot to add the stats.

Faris

Lenna

Krile

Bartz

Also donated 50 bucks. I coupd probably do more now that I have a job, but I just got it recently and I'm not too certain about my budget just yet.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 1, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yay, I just won my first FF5 Fiesta run. I've never done one before but I've watched others do it and have beaten the game casually more then once, so considering the team I got was Monk, Time Mage, Ninja, and Samurai the game ended up being not all that entirely challenging, but I had fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Reporting in, I got too distracted with dumb poo poo to finish my run. I'm in the middle of world 2, so even a marathon session probably wouldn't do it. I'll probably finish it just for kicks eventually. I'm gonna donate 20 bucks as penance.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Started my second run six days ago so I had the added challenge of finishing it in time. Success.

I was at Level 19 by the end of World 1, and ran from almost every battle afterward. The resulting Low HP party made things tricky at times (Amalgest is a party wipeout even with Mighty Guard), but everything ended up having a solution. I was expecting to abuse the hell out of the Blue Mage's Dark Spark/Lvl 2 Old/Lvl 5 Death technique, but the Dancer ended up being the star of the Rift instead. The Chicken Knife+50% Sword Dance+Quick really is hard to beat. I actually have never used Quick before in my full playthroughs of FFV... probably just cause I didn't know the spell too well. And yeah, lol. Kinda easy to see why FFV was the only game it was allowed to be in.

Worst part of the run was getting the Wonder Rod. I never really did know how World 3 was structured, and it's a bummer how, despite being able to enter the rift early, everything is actually pretty linear. There's really no reason to force the party to finish the Island Shrine before being able to enter Fork Tower. And finding out the tower disabled Teleport was a rude surprise. :v: Still... I don't THINK I would have been able to beat Shinryu without it.

It was a fun party to work with, though! The fiesta's been pretty great. I've been gaming since 1981 and I've never gotten so involved in learning the intricacies of game mechanics until now.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SuperHappy posted:

Worst part of the run was getting the Wonder Rod. I never really did know how World 3 was structured, and it's a bummer how, despite being able to enter the rift early, everything is actually pretty linear. There's really no reason to force the party to finish the Island Shrine before being able to enter Fork Tower. And finding out the tower disabled Teleport was a rude surprise. :v: Still... I don't THINK I would have been able to beat Shinryu without it.

If memory serves, Time Mages can equip staves, so if you get a Power Staff drop, there's always that.

Problem is those are only dropped by Black Warlocks in Exdeath's Castle, and I don't believe you can get them anywhere else, so if you miss it there, well, sucks to be your Wonder Wand needing self. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

And that's run #1 finally finished. I got sidetracked by Heroes of the Storm all summer. Also was kinda burned out, partly from a pre-fiesta warm-up run.

Final Thoughts:

Blue Mage - Superstar, as always. But this is the third year in a row I've gotten a Blue Mage as my starting job for my first (and this year, looks like only) run, and I'm getting kinda sick of it. Trying to chase down all the blue magic doesn't help, even with a Beastmaster to help smooth things out (which was nicely countered by having not one, but TWO Berserkers). If I end up rolling Blue Mage as my wind job for my first run next year, I'm buying a thief. Say what you want about its combat performance, but at the end there, I was really missing Vigilance and a !Flee that works 100% of the time as opposed to 25% of the time. Granted, being in a hurry to finish before the end of the Fiesta might have had something to do with that, but it really seemed like drat near half the encounters in the Rift were back attacks, as if the RNG itself were out to spite me.

Berserker x2 - BERSERKER KILL STUFF GOOD. SOMETIMES SCREW UP BLUE MAGIC LEARNING BUT STILL USEFUL FOR KILL STUFF. TIMES TWO.

Beastmaster - Also known as "Blue Mage with half the MP total" because that's what he effectively was by the end of the game. I barely used the Pokemon cannon at all, though !Control saw some use. But not having access to the Gold Hairpin to help mitigate the cost of some of the more absurdly costed Blue Magic (there is really no good reason why Mighty Guard should cost 72 MP) meant he was part time Blue Mage, part time item bot, and occasionally whipped things.

I really gotta stop doing warm-up runs. I always end up burning out, then feeling bad when I don't manage to get in more than one or two official runs. :(

Still looking forward to next year! :toot:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

W.T. Fits posted:

(there is really no good reason why Mighty Guard should cost 72 MP)

To get Mighty Guards effect, it costs 42 MP and 9 actions (Cast Protect 4 times, Shell 4 times, all cast float). Spending 30 MP for 8 additional moves sounds good to me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Huzzah! posted:

To get Mighty Guards effect, it costs 42 MP and 9 actions (Cast Protect 4 times, Shell 4 times, all cast float). Spending 30 MP for 8 additional moves sounds good to me.

If you count the cost of Quicks, that's like 300 MP of actions, tbh.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Huzzah! posted:

Not to mention that by the time you can actually learn Mighty Guard, you should have at least one Gold Hairpin and be able to earn enough money to drown in Ether.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I loved the Fiesta this year, I'm already looking forward to next summer! By then I should have an actual career going, and can drop some pledges.

Thanks to everyone in the IRC chat, it was so fun chatting with everyone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So that was a hell of a Fiesta season. :) Final tallies of interesting stats:

Donations: $14816.00
Winners: 2317/5440 (42.6%)
Rods broken by IRC people: 2014
People who hit the speed trap in IRC: 130 (none of them were Alcharagia, well played)

I guess that means I owe $13 next year. :)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Nice job, all!

Except me, that is. I didn't finish on time.

A shameful goon.

I definitely had a blast, though, and plan on joining up next year.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I ended up not finishing in time due to being distracted by new and fun video games...

I'll try to finish in the next day or so and drop a donation for being late. I really should've finished on time. I'm right at the end of world 2.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Bufuman posted:

If memory serves, Time Mages can equip staves, so if you get a Power Staff drop, there's always that.

Problem is those are only dropped by Black Warlocks in Exdeath's Castle, and I don't believe you can get them anywhere else, so if you miss it there, well, sucks to be your Wonder Wand needing self. :v:

Ohhhh yeah, the Power Staff...

Didn't even think about that, 'cause I was just too set on the Wonder Rod, and also under the impression that I could just snatch it from the tower and jump out. Oh well... Fighting Minotaur and Omniscent with that party was an interesting challenge, even if a bit maddening.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I forgot about my playthrough halfway, but donated $50 regardless of completion.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

People who hit the speed trap in IRC: 130 (none of them were Alcharagia, well played)

Hu hu hu.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Winners: 2317/5440 (42.6%)

That's still pretty dismal :(

e:wait, is that total players or just total runs started? If it's just total runs started it makes more sense, I'm pretty sure a lot of people with multiple runs left the last one unfinished (I did :smith: )

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fenrir posted:

That's still pretty dismal :(

e:wait, is that total players or just total runs started? If it's just total runs started it makes more sense, I'm pretty sure a lot of people with multiple runs left the last one unfinished (I did :smith: )

Total runs started (and finished).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hooray it broke $15k! :kheldragar:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Cool, according to the FJF site, preregistration starts in only 93 days! So early December! Can't wait for this year's Final Fantasy Five Four Job Festivus!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Cool, according to the FJF site, preregistration starts in only 93 days! So early December! Can't wait for this year's Final Fantasy Five Four Job Festivus!

I would love a twice-annual Fiesta. :unsmith:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

I would love a twice-annual Fiesta. :unsmith:

Man, that'd be fantastic. Though I can't imagine RK putting up with this poo poo twice in one year.

Well, we can dream. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If it really is during the holiday season maybe it will have #GEOMANCERRISK

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Schwartzcough posted:

Sadly it's a reverse countdown that started counting up awhile back, I think at the start of June. It also says it'll see us in 2015.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Total runs started (and finished).

Ahh okay, that makes more sense. I started 4 but only finished 3 and I'm pretty sure plenty of folks who did multiple runs probably didn't finish the last one. And there's always the folks who sign up and just don't play.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I know I missed the boat, but I've wanted to try this challenge for a while now. I've also wanted to try streaming, so why not start with Four Job Fiesta? Instead of randomized classes though, I was thinking of letting you guys decide which classes I use, so feel free to come watch and give me the worst possible team or whatever.

Clearly need to get a few things squared away first, please disregard.

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 2, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

First Fiesta. I had a good time with my 20 runs (13 TCs) but finished the last one July 28 and just never got around to doing another. Learned a lot about this game. Congrats to everyone who got their Fiestas done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I gave myself a natural FF1 run of Knight/Thief/Black/White and it's been fun to play through but I just realized that solo White Mage Galuf against Gilgamesh and Exdeath are gonna be awful :shepicide:

Good thing this isn't an actual fiesta run so I can just give up!

• Locked thread