Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I forgot it was this time of year!

I'll have to enter when I get back from a trip in early June, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what this #RegChaos is.

edit: ^^^^^ I did, though admittedly I didn't do a ton of statue grinding. I don't really run on fast forward most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Sweet!

Now I have this crazy idea in my head of doing multiple runs simultaneously.

Gilgabot can't handle that unless you use multiple twitters.

Which, I mean, nothing's stopping you.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oookay...I guess I need to read up on the whole thing cos I don't know how the twitter stuff works just yet.

It's real easy, you just tweet Gilgabot to get your job chosen. The actual format is on the site, but you can use a throwaway twitter account (I have one just for FJF) and it takes like five minutes.

It just won't let you start a new run while you already have one running.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

W.T. Fits posted:

Hoping for at least one run with the Berserker/Bard combo this year.

Bring it on, Gilgabot. :black101:

The legendary bardarian.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny, because Equip Harps is legitimately one of the best passives you can give a Berserker.

Which was hilarious when I found it out. Plus, I mean, what else are they going to use as passives? Counter?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
That said, Gaia isn't too bad for random encounters. It's just really outclassed later (and not good at all on a lot of bosses, as noted).

But, honestly, since random encounters aren't a huge problem for most parties, it's kind of marginal.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's been a while, and I'm not at home so I can't check right now, but isn't Flare not that bad... as sword magic?

Or does the massive bonus on the third tier elemental blades just stomp all over it too?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
IMO Dragoon's issue is not that it's bad (it's not, really) so much as it doesn't give much to other classes, and doesn't use anything from other classes that other burly guys like Knights and Samurai don't.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poque posted:

Still hoping to get an answer on this. It doesn't start the same day as pre-reg, right?

It's on the website. I'm on my phone ATM but I think it is around the 16th.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nihilarian posted:

hmmm. I must have hosed up somewhere because I didn't start off with any jobs. I'll have to redownload it later.

I think they actually open at the Wind Crystal, when you would get the first jobs anyhow.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

gently caress

NO RAGRETS for real this time.

No ragerets.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alabaster White posted:

Is it even possible to beat Exdeath with a 4 berserker setup without the absolute luckiest streak ever? You have to fight both forms with no control or healing whatsoever and I think that even at Lv99 you probably couldn't beat him in a damage race.

Someone got past the first form with a solo berserker, so it might be possible, but it wouldn't be pretty (and I wouldn't want to be the one doing it).

Sulla couldn't beat Necrophobia, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alabaster White posted:

Well yeah, Tree Exdeath is a chump, but with all those Almagests and Grand Crosses flying around with Neo, you'd be hosed. I hear Neo Exdeath has 2 false targets so your berserkers also have a nice 1/3 chance to not do any damage at all per turn! :v:

It's probably possible theoretically but it's definitely a monkey typewriter level of probability.

Yeah. That's why I wouldn't want to do it. Then again people have pulled off things I thought would probably be impossible so who knows? Maybe someone's insane enough to manage it. (But probably not.)

Smilefires posted:

I can't wait for dupes.

I got dupes the first year #random was a thing.

It's less fun than you'd think!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'd play it if it worked with an English patch. (Probably not for the Fiesta, just in general.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jueg01 posted:

So really, Red Mage is the only real loser in the bunch?

Even with Red Mage you get heals and other spells outside of fights that your real Red Mage doesn't have to spend MP on (though of course a white mage would obviously still be a better option). Not horrible, just not as good.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If I want to torture my stream regulars by playing the PSX version, what's the best emulator to use? I have a physical copy of Anthologies so I've never had to emulate it before.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I got the new sound restoration patch for GBA version. (I gave up on torturing people with the PSX version because of loading times.)

The music sounds great and there's no slowdown. But the sound effects are really... weird. They don't sound at all like they're supposed to.

I'm using Visual Boy Advance-M. Should I be using a different one?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

rundxdi posted:

berserker>geomancer so far. woooo geomancer. Would rather have.....anything else I think. What do geomancers even do?

!Gaia.

They're good at random encounters, which is when you need help least. That's about it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shwqa posted:

And for some reason the blue magic spell vampire cannot hit bosses anymore.

The GBA version introduced a new bug with Vampire (it damages/heals for 100% of missing health instead of 50%).

When they fixed it, they made it not work against Heavy targets, for whatever reason - someone probably saw that it did percentage damage and didn't realize it worked on your health and not theirs. So there are a few bosses you can hit with it, and a few normal enemies you can't; it definitely is a lot more restrictive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

senseinobu posted:

Welp I wound up with Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Chemist, and Dancer. Any advice?

Congratulations on your win.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

You sunk my battleship.

More seriously, after a GBA emulator failure that means it constantly fails to save, and having already typoed myself out of a savestate, I restarted the game (on SNES). I forgot how much I would miss being able to dash. I played FF4 and FF6 on this thing and I couldn't dash in those either (minus Sprint Shoes), why is it so annoying nowadays?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mustard Iceman posted:

I take it the Wonder Wand wouldn't get the job done, or somebody would have mentioned it?

It has a very high magic evade, so the Wonder Wand (or casting Break) is pretty unreliable. It can work, but it has a 66% base magic evade, is level 87 so add one for each level you're not, and then Break only works 75% of the time even if it passes that.

Break Blade uses a physical hit check and Delta Attack doesn't even roll to hit, though it does check for the Aegis Shield, so they're fine.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bufuman posted:

Breaking Poison Rods casts Bio, not Poison, and NOTHING is immune to the HP Sap that Bio causes.

It's just that it doesn't last long and doesn't really do a whole lot of damage compared to late-game enemy totals.

That's where Quick and a fast-forward button come in handy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dishwasher posted:

I grew up on OG SNES translated version. I see everyone using GBA, but I don't really want to do that. What are the perks to GBA over the SNES version besides portablity.

You can dash with B without a thief. (If you have a thief it goes even faster.)

Also the translation is much better.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

If you really want to play a game where the one good spot is the translators deciding "Cara" should talk with nothing but an emoticon for no reason then that's your prerogative but you're only hurting yourself.

I do like Cara as a name better, though. Am I the hipster?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

zolthorg posted:

SNES doesn't have horrible portrait art though, I actually had to use a replacement patch that puts even dumber art in place this year.

Edit: I can't believe people complain about how Krile and say 'Cara' sounds so much more natural to them in the presence of words like Galuf, Quelb, Xezat, Mua, etc. The point is for Krile to sound alien to you.

The portrait art ranges from OK to bad. I'm just as glad to not have it since I'm doing the SNES version this year.

As for Cara versus Krile, I'm not saying it's more natural. I'm just saying I like it better. (On the other hand, Quelb is hilarious.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

axelsoar posted:

Monks are awful from what I hear, they just fall off super hard.

They're pretty solid for all of world 1 and between half and two thirds of world 2.

They remain fine if you have a way to artificially boost their levels (bard, chemist) because their bare-handed attack gets a double dip from that, but in normal gameplay they won't level enough that their hands keep up with the late-game weapons. HP +30% isn't bad for classes that have no need for any other support either - for instance, if you've got a Time Mage or something - and !Focus/!BuildUp is one of the options to get around Chicken Knife's random running.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maleketh posted:

I'm thinking I might Job Fair this (I don't really have the time to do that much grinding), but I hear Job Fair doesn't work properly with Chaos runs. That right?

It's impossible to tell which one you're replacing, since it reorders them before it gives them to you. You'll definitely replace something with the new class, but it might not be your geomancer.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maleketh posted:

Yeah, people like to mention Moldwynds for Elixir farming, but half the enemies in the Ship graveyard (Calcruthls and Undead Husks) can drop them too.

Calcruthl is a really weird monster name. Where'd it come from? I would have guessed Lou Carcolh except it got another t in the second half and then switched some letters around.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

texasmed posted:

I'm a bit surprised that there's only 311 natural players so far. It doesn't seem like it'll be much harder in the end, but I'm only halfway through world 2 with a really lucky set of job rolls. If I manage to beat this, I think I'll try a natural chaos run next!

Natural isn't particularly hard. It's just boring.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sax Solo posted:

I was watching slio9's FF5 stream, and it looked like mini doubled (or greatly improved) the Aegis shield's special magic block. This is not according to the algorithm guide, but it sure looked true according to eyeballs.

Is this a known thing?

It is not true, as best as I know from years past (though I'd be happy to be proven wrong). A couple fights with it is a pretty small sample size, though, so it could just have been higher than expected for those.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

D_W posted:

I have the Thieves Knife now and am wondering if it's worth attempting to mug a Rune Blade from the Stingray for my MK? It sounds like it's one of the best weapons for the MK.

I unfortunately sold my Thieves Glove since I didn't know I could get something that would allow me to steal if I wasn't a thief. Though I'm not sure if they effect the mug rate of the thieves knife.

Can't speak for the first.

As for the second, it doesn't matter; only thieves can equip the thieves' glove. (OK, and mimics.) If you don't have one, selling it is no problem.

Edit: I think it would affect it if you did do that, but why bother?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, the GBA version of the soundtrack is... well, it's kind of wince-worthy. On the other hand, the "restored sound" version of the game does weird poo poo with the SFX.. or is that only on VBA-M?

I couldn't get it to not happen, and eventually it stopped saving at save points, forcing me to use save states only. (It was somewhere between Karnak and the Library.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

zolthorg posted:

If you have a character that can equip it, it appears to be some Sais.

They really can't decide what it is. The sprite makes it a double-ended blade that spins; in Airborne Brigade and such it's basically a two-sided naginata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Heh you guys weren't kidding when you said chemist was bugged. I accidentally confused Bartz with a maiden kiss/antidote mix and now his dead body is attacking the enemy.

Like... he's a zombie, or what?

• Locked thread