Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm doing my first ever playthrough of FFV to prepare my anus for the 2016 Fiesta. I'm about to enter Walze Castle, and I'm wondering if there are any good strategies for grabbing the Elf Mantle at low levels on iOS. I'd like to avoid running away from Harpies if I can, but I also don't want to fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Bufuman posted:

Are you not running because you eventually want the Brave Blade? Forget that, Chicken Knife is significantly better, mostly due to the fact that it can be equipped by more than just Knights and Gladiators, and it's sole drawback (the 25% chance of triggering a !Flee effect when attacking) can be circumvented with most of the better Attack substitutes (!Rapid-Fire, for example).

That said, there really isn't a way for getting around them in the iOS version without killing them (if you were playing the GBA version, the quicksave glitch would help, but I doubt they left that in the port), and you probably won't manage that at low levels. Aside from the aforementioned !Flee/Smoke, you can also kill them later with 1000 Needles or a Chemist using Succubus Kiss (Maiden's Kiss + Turtle Shell) to pierce their stupid high defenses, but neither of those are available until after the Earth Crystal.

I was wondering whether all the effort of getting Brave Blade was worth it. If the Chicken Knife's disadvantage can be easily mitigated, then I'll just try fleeing from Harpies.

dis astranagant posted:

Come back with !flee or !smoke.

I've got a thief going, so I'll get !flee and then attempt it.

• Locked thread