Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I forget if I did a playthrough last year but I'll remedy that this time. Maybe a true random run via chaos will be the way to go this year.

alcharagia posted:

Hello, everyone. My name is Alcharagia, and I have an ultimatum. On this runthrough, I will not fall into the Speed Trap once.

This just means you're going to fall in to it multiple times :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Asiina posted:

The dancer one from that gallery is great too.

Galuf, the original twerker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Tried .chaos in preparation/desperate hoping for true random..
No.
NO!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Oh. Well, okay then.

13:45 CarbyBot Wind Job: Dancer
13:45 CarbyBot Water Job: Red Mage
13:45 CarbyBot Fire Job: Red Mage
13:45 CarbyBot Earth Job: Beastmaster

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this in an actual run. Once I got to the water crystal is everyone forced to go red mage or would it be 1-4 red mages and 0-3 freelancers?

I wonder what a 2nd try would give me...

13:49 CarbyBot Wind Job: Dancer
13:49 CarbyBot Water Job: Chemist
13:49 CarbyBot Fire Job: Ranger
13:49 CarbyBot Earth Job: Ranger

Well that's not even a challenge. Once I actually get to the classes and stop using freelancers anyways. :stare:

e:

Ugato posted:

I would really hate getting to the fire crystal with only thief. And to earth with only thief/geo. Ugh.

My first 4JF run 2 or 3 years ago was WM/WM/BM/Geomancer. I had to beat Liquid Flame using 4 White Mages. :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 19, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's just hilarious that there are two ultimate weapons that boost the power of every element in the game EXCEPT for the one used by the penultimate summon. What were they even thinking?

"We probably shouldn't make Bahamut worthless since we're already making Holy better than Flare" would be my guess.

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that the best they'd be doing attacking themselves is maybe the low 300s at that point? I don't consider that chump change at all. Plus, the items you seem to be having kittens about are a grand total of 180 gil. If you don't have this, please spend a couple of minutes in Bal Castle's basement.

Also, I want to know what compositions you get that routinely let you beat fights like world 2 Exdeath, Atomos, Shinryu, etc. in five turns. :psyduck:

Beastmaster can do 9999x4 to every party of Neo Exdeath on the first round thanks to capture. After than you just magic lamp them with Bahamut/Leviathan/Syldra and I think it's dead by that point?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Things that seem like reasons to go past the Pyramid but aren't:
* You have a Monk and the incorrect notion that boosting its attack without grinding will make it useful again (Kaiser Knuckles, Great Sea Trench)

Knuckles can drop from an enemy in Pyramid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

An enemy that is a one-time monster-in-a-box there, isn't it? They're normal enemies in Istory Falls, but by the time you can do Istory Falls you can do the Trench. So you'd have to SR that chest constantly, which makes it... not very much less tedious.

The first 4JF I ran a few years ago had 1 or 2 knuckles drop for me in there from those fights, not that I had a monk to use them on. :shrug:

So do they do intentionally bad runs or is the guy just severely damaged goods?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

Rapidfire with Flare Blade will easily be better and rapid fire +ga blade against an elemental weakness will destroy bosses.

Dr Pepper posted:

Brave Blade isn't actually particularly tedious, especially since if you're doing one you have Knight, which can pretty easily shred 90% of Random Encounters.

And pretty much everyone's playing on an emulator, or iOS, so they have frame skip or autobattle.

Countblanc posted:

Someone make the all class unlock mod for the SNES version so I can do chaos without having to use freelancers. God bless.

Use the GBA version with the SNES music/graphics patch if the unlock thing only exists for the GBA version? Using freelancers early on is fine though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

#Chaos registration completed. :getin:

Did berserker risk last year so I'll take a break from it for now.

e:

khy posted:

I'm in the ship graveyard. When I look at the skeletons I see Glenn Hughes from the Village People.

The skeleton in question :

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)

You fucker I'm probably never going to unsee this, just like how I'll forever see Shadow's sprite as wearing big orange goggles.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lookin' good there guys, with your hands down by your shins like some sort of orangutan.

I can't stress how loving awful the FFD team's character sprite artist is, or how lazy their FFD-based iOS ports are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Trasson posted:

No, !Mix does actually deserve all of the hype it gets. You said it yourself: !Mix can trivialize the entire game. That is literally the best a command in this game can be, so it's hard for it to be overhyped above that.

You say other stuff can trivialize the entire game. What are these things?

Blue Magic, maybe? But Dark Shock/Level 5 Death won't work on anything whose level doesn't divide down into a multiple of 5. This notably includes Omega and Shinryu, and anyway, how are they to survive those repeated castings through Magic Evasion and a level disadvantage?

!Rapid Fire is strong, but it's just doubled damage plus ignoring defense, so call it 220-250% of normal damage. If numbers like that were acceptable to trivialize the game, Berserkers would be more regarded.

Sword Magic's good, but is again almost all offense. Drain Sword exists, but there's still nothing to stop statuses.

!White is laughable. It can't attack until 85% of the game is over. All it does is not die until then. This is good, but I'd hardly call that trivializing. !Time's in a similar boat.

!Summon's definitely up there. Golem and Carbuncle stop a lot of problems, and you're not hurting for offense. Still, it's not trivial: consider the case of Summoner versus Berserked Shinryu: one mistimed Golem casting and you're dead. Not to mention that awful stretch through World 2 where you have to make do with Titan to do any real damage, and it's not enough.

Where's this command that sits next to !Mix on the throne of superboss corpses? The perfect ability would be one which wins the battle in a single action while incurring no loss of resources. Nothing does that, but the closer you can get, the better. !Mix, in a single command, gives you invincibility and unresistable killing power.

There are other things that trivialize Final Fantasy V. A combination of abilities and equipment, planning and knowledge. None of those are a singular entity. All you need with !Mix are a few dozen buyable items and a few dozen of some common drops, and a nice little chart, and the game is in your hands. No other single element in the game claims that distinction. That's why !Mix is hyped, and it is not overhype by any means.

Bardsongs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

It's not.

Between instant kill attacks via catching Aquathornes and a combination Focus from the Monk/Sword Dance from the Barehanded Dancer, he had plenty of tactical, lateral-thinking ways to murder the things and he came up with that. :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure this is also after he spent literally two hours using !Control on Shield Dragons to grind XP.

Not to mention that Bartz with the Flame shield means that drain blade is largely a waste since if he went with elemental weaknesses he'd be able to utterly murder the crystal before it could melee him to death, since once it starts flinging fire attacks he can't die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Here it is. Note that a low level run requires more than four jobs.

Gonna have to read that after I finish the LP for the trainwreck that is Lunar:Dragon Song.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

Hype for the approaching Fiesta has me playing FF6 for the first time. I'm realizing that the SNS era might have been a lot weirder than I knew. So far today, I've seen:

Gau solo Kefka
Terra make like Team Rocket and blast off again
Locke take an unexpected turn down Holy poo poo Dude, That's hosed Up lane.

Gau with certain Rage skills is broken as hell. It's been awhile since I played FF6 so I forget which ones are truly broken now.

e: vvvv Nobody's more broken than Relm since she can actually break the game and IIRC certain ways of breaking the game with her can permanently gently caress up your cartridge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Also, since the end of that LP, it has been discovered that you can actually get General Leo into the WoR by abusing the warp back to World of Balance trick, then taking the Nikeah ferry back into the World of Ruin. Apparently there's even a way to keep him in your party after a 'choose your party' menu that I'm not entirely clear on.

I really need to know how to do this. The 13 year old me demands his time spent looking for TNT and Golden Leaves and other poo poo be not in vain. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I thought she was basically in a coma hovering on death as a kid, like how when you get taken to zero HP you're KO'd but not 'dead' and can be revived, just that her situation was much more severe and as such Locke couldn't just break out Life or Life 2 he picked up from Magicite the party already had.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Butz is giving Exdeath the finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently my first job for my Chaos run is Beastmaster. Looks like I get to run around with 4 Freelancers for awhile. :confuoot:

• Locked thread