Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've had multiple Fiesta runs where !Gaia was my most consistent and damaging form of attack. Those were the darkest of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

What were you running?

Man, I'm trying to remember now. I think it was something like White/Red/Geo/Chemist. I think another time I had Blue/Red/Geo/Dancer, and I remember going through an area where pretty much everything was immune to Wind and had annoying levels so I couldn't Blue Magic stuff to death, and Sword Dance is just so unreliable, especially when you have multiple enemies to kill. Or there are runs when you're pretty much reliant on Black Magic or Summons or Meteor to kill things, but it's really hard to make MP last through an entire dungeon when it's your only real form of killing- then Geomancy gets a lot of use.

Geomancy isn't actually all that terrible for killing trash in most areas. There are some places where it's pretty awful (like Moore forest), but usually it's somewhere between "meh" and great.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

The real question is, why are you fighting random encounters that aren't objets d'art/reflect knights? :v:

Oh no, Reflect Knights! :ohdear: Those are my most dreaded part of every run; the RNG hates me and I always stall out there for hours. I need to look up where I calculated which floor gives you the most Reflect Knights per experience gained...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Rune Bell boosts, like, all the elements (more than the Magus Rod, I think). That's helpful for more than just casting Holy- you can use it to boost Summons, Black Magic, and Blue Magic, as well as boosting a lot of the Gaia attacks themselves. And !Gaia itself really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Most of the time it can one- or two-shot pretty much any trash enemy, and often can clear an entire group of enemies in a single use. There are multiple points in the game where !Gaia is likely to do more damage than anything else you've got available. No, it's not always reliable, and it totally sucks in some places, but it's not awful and useless 100% of the time like so many people make it out to be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Geomancer is good, but I don't weep bitter tears when I get one like a lot of players seem to. Most of the time I'd rather have a Geomancer than a Chemist. Yeah, I said it. Come at me, goons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

MAGIC ELEMENT UP: Air, Earth, Holy, Poison, Lightning, Ice, Fire

Earth and Poison are irrelevant, so that leaves Air, Holy, Lightning, Fire, and Ice. You only need to boost Air if you're using Syldra or Aero. In which case, an Air Lancet will suffice. Lightning, Ice, and Fire all have their own rods to use, which leaves Holy as the only instance of the Rune Chime actually doing something another weapon can't (since there's only one Sage Staff). Which, like I said, if you've got White Mage already, an extra 50% on a character's Holy spell is basically overkill, as you're not actually going to have trouble with the rest of the game.

Okay, yeah, there's the edge case of a Summoner casting Phoenix. The Rune Chime is overrated.

Yeees, you CAN boost elements with other weapons- but most classes can't equip those weapons. Let's say you get a Black Mage- you can put black magic on other classes, but most of them can't equip rods and therefore can't boost the spells, which really cuts down on their utility. A geomancer with the Rune Chime can boost pretty much any elemental secondary you decide to slap on them. Plus, Earth damage is not irrelevant for a geomancer, who can use Quake and such.

Trasson posted:

Being able to trash randoms isn't really all that special. I'll stand by my point: !Gaia is lackluster to useless on anything that poses an actual challenge.

You spend more time fighting trash than you do fighting bosses. And unless you just run from everything, fighting your way through a dungeon can be a big drain on a lot of teams. Having a character that can wipe the entire enemy party with a single free move 50% of the time is not to be sneered at.

Trasson posted:

Yeah, I'll come at you on this. Screw !Mix. No one needs !Mix. !Mix is an overly complicated overkill ability on an already good class. Chemists can double their HP, Haste themselves, Protect themselves, and raise their level high enough to just !Fight anything to death. On top of that, they get staves, an actually good weapon set. Using Staves they get free Cura, Raise, and Dispel. If you're not grinding averse, you get on-call shots of Holy. Finally, if you do delve into their abilities, Pharmacology turns Hi-Potions into basically X-Potions for almost the entire game, making a Chemist a ghetto White Mage as well. !Revive is the only multitarget resuurection ability in the whole game, so if for some reason your party who has access to a class that teaches them !Drink actually has someone go down, and multiple people at that, you can bring them all back up quickly. The only thing Geomancer does that Chemist doesn't is randomly wipe out random encounters that weren't threatening anyway slightly faster.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but your opinion is terrible.

Chemists can double their HP, Haste themselves, etc.- it's too bad Chemist is an absolute poo poo job at doing anything besides buffing themselves if you take away !Mix. They can't do damage and most of their healing is limited-quantity money-costing single-target healing. I am grinding averse, and so killing hundreds of Metamorphs for a couple shots of Holy is right out. My grinding aversion is also why I don't care for Mix- grinding for Turtle Shells, Dragon Fangs, and Dark Matter (i.e., the ingredients used in all the best mixes) is a boring slog. !Drink isn't a great ability for synergy, because it's only self-target- to buff up your team, you'd have to put it on everyone. Does anyone ever actually use an ability slot on !Revive? If you're whole team is getting killed, chances are you're in over your head and !Revive won't help much. I can't say I've ever used it.

Even Mix is kinda overrated. It gets talked up a lot because it can allow a character to solo superbosses. This is true, but for a team-based playthrough it's really inefficient. !Mix is all about slowly becoming invincible, and then winning through attrition. However, it's single-target. Trying to buff an entire team with !Mix takes an eternity. In a normal playthrough, boss battles simply don't last long enough for it to be worth !Mixing up a million potions 98% of the time. You're better off just making the boss die in 3 turns instead of taking 10 turns and using a ton of rare ingredients to become a super tank.

Honestly, most of the time I just have my Chemist standing around with the Healing Staff. They feel like total dead weight except in the 3 or 4 boss battles where they really shine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Chemists have Knife access. loving Samson's Might yourself up to level 255 and apply liberal amounts of Chicken Knife to bosses' faces.
Even that would take like 12 rounds and a ton of ingredients, and then you still get the flee effect 25% of the time, and you have to put your wet-tissue paper Chemist in the front row for full effect. I'd take a character than can bypass the Flee effect any day.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Hmm yes all the best mixes, nevermind the dirt cheap full heals, full revives, full restore, full ether, level boosting, element boosting, big three element absorption, poison immunity, death immunity, float, charm, 8x osmose, and haste+image+berserk.

Pretty much all the mixes that restore MP (and don't require you to be dead first) still require Elixirs or Ethers, which aren't cheap. You can boost 10 levels at a time, but remember that discussion in this thread about how levels are relatively unimportant? Yeah, raising 10 levels at a time is inefficient for almost all situations. Sure, you can mix death immunity and apply it to a character, but then the boss might not use the death move, or use it on the 3 unprotected characters... until you spend multiple turns applying it to additional characters... and now you've spent thousands of gil worth of Phoenix Downs and Holy Waters, and it's not so cheap anymore.

Maybe I always just get decent enough other units when I get a Chemist, but I almost never end up needing them. I'll throw up a few immunity mixes during bosses which never end up mattering before the boss dies. Or I'll boost levels a few times which adds maybe 500 damage over the course of a boss fight. Or I have my Chemist doubling his HP, applying haste to himself, and giving himself protect, and then the boss dies while my Chemist did nothing but play with himself. Ironically, some of the points where my Chemist is most useful is to apply Float to everyone to get over damage floors... which Geomancers handle innately.

Like I said, Chemists aren't bad, but a lot of their usefulness is so cumbersome in a 4-person party, or so gimmicky, that you basically need a completely useless team in order for them to shine. They can almost always get you to the finish line... eventually. They are basically great for weird runs like solo runs or level-1 teams, but in a more normal playthrough (even a FJF restricted one), they become much less useful. If you have even a modicum of damage output, status options, or healing/boosting from other sources, Chemists tend to be much less dominating.

People are free to love them, but for me they're not the "best job in the game" when measured from a team-based standpoint.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Chaotic Neutral posted:

1) Why would you ever use an Elixir mix? All of their effects are either the exact same as Elixir or duplicated by cheaper mixes. Ethers are the most 'expensive' component, but they're also trivial to steal and cost a mere 1500gp to mix into full MP restore rather than drinking them one at a time.

2) All I'm getting from this is that you don't like Chemists because you have no idea how to use them properly and/or are overleveled for the bosses you're fighting.

1) I've never used an Elixir mix- I was pointing out that there aren't a bunch of super-cheap MP restoring mixes. And again- because I avoid grinding - 1500 Gil is still a bit pricey for me to stock up on through a large part of the game. Especially when I'm stocking up on all the OTHER ingredients Chemists need to contribute. Hell, I don't even like using Phoenix Downs at 1000 a pop- too rich for my blood.

2) I know how to use them, and I usually end my runs at levels 32-33, which is not high enough for most jobs to survive an Almagest. I think the bigger issue is I don't like using a bunch of items on random battles, which Chemists need to do in order to contribute anything. If they want to contribute anything really useful, they need to use Turtle Shells or Dragon Fangs. But jeez, don't take it so personally that you need start with the "u suk" accusations. We're all just friendly Fiestaers here.

Kyrosiris posted:

Assuming, let's say a level 25 Knight with the Great Sword from the canal in Bal Castle, one Samson's Might takes them from 627 damage (not using Two-Handed) to 855 damage. I don't really see how one action that gives someone a roughly, what, 30% damage increase is "inefficient", especially for the hilariously low cost of one antidote and one holy water.

Also in what universe are ethers not cheap? Even if you don't stock up in Lix when they're 750 a piece, they're 1500 a piece. Are you not selling outdated equipment and stuff? 1500 gil seems like a trivial amount to pay to turn a phoenix down from "revives at critical HP" to "revives at 100% max HP/MP". :psyduck:

So in your example, the Chemist just used a turn and two items (while relying on having an actual damage-dealing character) to contribute 228 damage; that's chump change damage. Yes, that can slowly accumulate over long fights, but there just aren't that many long fights in the game. That's my point- for chemists to shine, you need protracted battles of attrition, which you typically do not get with a full team. Battles, even against bosses, tend to end in like 4 or 5 turns.

And I do sell equipment, but I'm still pretty broke until late-game. Unless I abuse the gil turtle cave, I'm not made of 1500-gil consumables.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

How exactly do you poison Omega? Does it have to be specifically with a Poison Rod? I tried that a couple years ago with the Quick trick and didn't notice anything. I even had the game on 10x speed for like, an hour.

You actually don't "poison" him, you hit him with Sap, which is a different status. It causes his health to tick down continuously as opposed to doing damage at set intervals like poison. And yes, I believe poison rods are the only way to inflict it on Omega.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dragoon is considerably improved by having a Thief on your team, though. There are a bunch of great spears you can steal long before they're otherwise available. Without a thief, the Dragoon's damage output is really disappointing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

Why? Like, what does Thief add to your team that a Monk doesn't?

Eliminating ambushes, guaranteed fleeing, double-speed running, and making sure you don't forget where invisible passages are all pretty loving fantastic. Plus, as stated, they can use the chicken knife without activating the flee effect. Putting Barehanded on people for using the chicken knife means you pretty much have to multiply their damage by .75, because they'll waste their turns a lot on bosses, or be useless in random battles that you actually want to fight. You'd be better off giving people !Focus, which increases damage and doesn't trigger Flee.

And Monks can't do anything useful on their own. No weapons means suckful damage. You can give them Equip X, but then they're missing out on a potentially useful secondary just so they can hold a weapon like big idiots. You can give them the accessory that increases barehanded damage, but then they're not wearing Haste sandals and might as well not show up for the Void at all. And their huge HP pools and terrible defense mean they're just bottomless pits to swallow up your healing resources, rather than useful tanks.

Also, why the gently caress are you having geomancers attack NED with daggers? You do realize that the only Geo proc in the void is Wind Slash, which can be boosted with an Air Knife to do like 2000+ damage to every part of of NED from the back row, right?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

Thief has it better how?

Because they can have 99 Hi Potions easily to force their way through. Grinding Elixir drops in the Wind Shrine is way, way slower.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't have the numbers to back me up, but I'm pretty sure my thieves have always started outdamaging Monks at least by the time I get a Twin Blade. Add the fact that they can add a ton of convenience options, often get other classes better weapons faster, and can give other classes game-best speed.... well, what can monks do again? Give better strength to the few classes that don't already have good strength but also don't have anything better to do with their turns that poke things with a dagger? Give better HP at the cost of versatility?

As you've said, Focus isn't good. !Kick quickly becomes totally obsolete. Chakra is a total insult of a skill. Monks aren't even a good carrier class for almost anything because they lack the equipment options to take advantage of most magic or physical offense-based skills. They just don't have enough advantages over Thief to give up the Thief's many many quality of life improvements.

Monks are pretty good in world 1 (barring Byblos). They're OK through some of world 2. They're terrible after that. They are also terrible in any fight with discord, Old, or other affects that screw with their levels.

Another thing here: Most people actively posting in this thread have done multiple fiesta runs. They know what they're doing and want to get through the game as quickly as possible. Quality of life improvements will mean far more to these people than "Monks hit marginally harder for half the game."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

Monks are a good carrier class for a lot of crap, is what I'm saying.

Ah, I'm not convinced. As you said, "So yeah, the Monk can use just about anything from different classes. Of course, most classes have this ability, so it's not especially notable here." Of course they can USE secondary abilities, but they have no synergy with any of them (barring !Drink, I guess). They can't boost elements, and they need to use Equip skills just to do physical damage. I mean, hell, you're admitting that putting Dualcast, from the notoriously offensively-anemic Red Mage (who can equip Rods, I might add, to significantly boost their damage over what a Monk can do with it) will outdamage a Monk's other offensive options. That... is not good! The benefit of skills like Equip Swords or Equip Axes is they give the strength stat of the originating job - but Monk's already have high strength; it's just wasted on them. So even using the Equip X skills provides less benefits to Monks than to other classes.

We'll put it this way: people rag on Dragoon for having no synergy and not being a team player. But Dragoon gets to wear heavy armor and shields, and do good physical damage from the back row, and combined with jumping that makes them extremely hard to kill; WAY more than Monks. So Dragoon is a better job to carry pretty much any ability you listed than Monks are, despite being the job reviled as having no synergy. Hell, they can equip Air Knives, and therefore are far, far better Blue Magic, Summon, and Geomancy carriers than Monk is. They also get Lancet, giving mages on the team a way to replenish MP for free. Dragoon is constantly in the running for worst Earth job, and they're leagues better than Monk.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 22, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

LaserShark posted:

I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to break this quitting streak.
So, there is sort of an order you have to follow. You have to complete the pyramid first for story reasons and to get the airship. The only other story dungeon available is the Island Shrine, and you need to complete that to make the Fork Tower appear. The Fork Tower has Holy and Flare (and therefore Flare Spellblade), as well as the Defender Sword and the Wonder Wand (which has some interesting applications). Beating Fork Tower also lets you get the submarine, which you need to access the final two dungeons (which can be done in either order). There is very little in the final two dungeons that's worth getting; the Meteor spell for Time Mages, and maybe an Aegis Shield if you really think you need it. You can get the Leviathan summon, but why would you bother?

So basically, if your team will only benefit from three legendary weapons, and doesn't need any of the other stuff I mentioned, just go straight to the void (after doing sidequesty stuff, of course). If you can use four or more weapons but don't need anything from Fork Tower or later, you can just do the first two dungeons and head to the void. Most other teams can go to the Void after Fork Tower. Pretty much no team will ever need to do all four dungeons unless the player is just a completionist.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

While I'm slowly finishing up my boss guide, I started up another guide that goes into every method to inflict status effects. This should be especially helpful for Beastmasters since it gives all enemies and general locations of those enemies for every spell.

So far I've only got Blind up but I'll slowly work on more the next couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be done with it before the Fiesta begins proper.

As a side-result of this, I started an exhaustive Blue Magic guide mainly to keep separate all the various places you can get Blue Magic, but that's very low priority and for now will only be updated with the status-inflicting spells since there's already solid Blue Magic guides out there.

e: Poison's up now.

e2: And Mini since there's little to that one (though doing the Blue Magic part of it was still time-consuming).

Wow, this would be very cool. Dealing with all the Beastmaster possibilities might be a bit of a pain, though- especially with the weird collection of monsters that can show up in odd areas of the Rift (I know at the very least that Mammons, the trees that cast berserk, show up on the roof of the dimensional castle where you fight Twin Tania. Very helpful for berserking Shinryu).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So I notice you list Big Bridge Gilgamesh as vulnerable to Silence. I think that is only true in the original release? Maybe the PSX version? At any rate, I know his vulnerability to silence shows up in some versions but not others.

Edit: Ok, it looks like you can still cast "Mute" in that battle to affect everyone. He was vulnerable to silence in the Famicom version (and presumably a ROM, but not sure on the PSX version). I don't think he's vulnerable to silence in the Advance version, or probably in the iOS version.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 25, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Speaking of, what are your options for Bear/Beara/Bearaga? I know it's Sand Bears in world 1, but I'm not sure what else uses the equation the game classifies as 'Strong !Fight' in the code.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As1XoaEFimODdEdpbXVYVFNuaUQ0TEZnRlliajZtMFE#gid=3

I think the !Catch tab lists all the monsters, and which ones get "Strong Attack". But I guess different monsters have different attack stats that get used in the calculations?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

LaserShark posted:

So, are the patches going to be considered valid runs? Even the one with all the berserker and geomancer buffs and everything?

I think patches that have mechanical changes (usually rebalances to make certain classes suck less) would not be considered in the spirit of the fiesta, no. On the other hand, it's a charity event people do for fun, so no one is going to stop you.

Jibo posted:

Unless they increase the cost per berserker this year then we have the very real possibility of a lot of people getting three each. I really don't want to do a three berserker team, even if it is still doable.

Why do you say it's more likely we'll be swamped with berserkers this year over previous years?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Never fleeing from battles is fine until you reach Exdeath's castle and run into three blue dragons.

Or if you actually want the Elf Mantle from the Walse Castle Basement and don't abuse quicksaves.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think they also added a "reroll" feature last year. Like, if you get stuck with Thief every time and are sick of it, but don't want to spoil the randomness by choosing a replacement, you can pay to roll for a new random job.

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, it tops out with Chemist being like 12 bucks, Mime being 20, and Freelancer being 25, though I may be mistaken.

Pretty sure it's much cheaper than that, at least for Chemist. I think all the normally available jobs topped out at $6 or something.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

The SNES version still has freelancers though? :psyduck:

E: wait nevermind, just realised you meant pre-wind crystal. :doh:

Actually, they're assuming Chaos mode can assign you any job for any Crystal. So if you get Samurai for the Wind crystal, you're stuck using Freelancers until at least the Water Crystal. If you got Dancer at the Water Crystal, you'd be stuck using Freelancers until the Fire crystal. etc.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oh, I didn't even notice registration was open. So there's still no real description for Chaos mode, huh? I guess it's just supposed to be a surprise?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Counterpoint: Why the PS1 translation rocks.

Princess Salsa. It perfectly captures her spiciness.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I usually name him Bro or Fiesta, but there are plenty of other good names!

As I posted in some other thread recently, I enjoyed using "dear". Really makes it sound like everyone's talking down to him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly, aside from Dragondarch they all are.

Hell, I'd be okay with DD having a run for redemption, even, but given that he had issues killing the superbosses with Blue/White/???/Chemist last year, I don't really expect that to happen. :v:

I missed the run itself, but to be fair very few jobs can trivialize Omega. Chemist doesn't trivialize him- if the stars align and you can get all the right buffs in place before he destroys you (which usually takes quite a few resets), he has a hard time killing you, but you may have a very hard time killing him back. Also, I'm guessing a speedrunner didn't have time to grind out a ton of items for the chemist to mix. Killing Omega with a Chemist takes a pretty serious stockpile of good items.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Aren't -aga level spells literally 4x as good as -ara spells? I wish Red Mages had staying power in any game ever, they're so cool :(

Red Mages are amazing all the way through FFXII IZJS... but then they don't get the awesome hat, so it's a wash.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

No, !Mix does actually deserve all of the hype it gets. You said it yourself: !Mix can trivialize the entire game. That is literally the best a command in this game can be, so it's hard for it to be overhyped above that.

Yeah, and erosion will eventually make that hill flat, but a steam shovel is faster. !Mix just tends to be too slow and cumbersome to be worthwhile if you have other good skills, which are

Fungah! posted:

better at applying dead, the best status effect in the game)

Chemists have to take for-loving-ever to make themselves both strong enough to withstand attacks, and then slowly whittle down the enemy. Most other good commands can exploit and destroy bosses in a tenth of the time it takes chemists to get rolling (and other jobs only use MP, which is a commodity you never have to worry about replenishing). No, one other command may not have all the tools to totally wreck every boss, but a combination of a couple jobs usually can, and without taking 20 turns to do it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Most other good commands can exploit and destroy a limited subset of bosses in a tenth of the time, and then meet their own walls in other places. Chemist isn't the god of making random encounters painless, but it single-handedly sets you up for kills on the entire game regardless of your party composition, and can enable even more gimmickry depending on that party composition. It's also incredibly light to learn in ABP and enables some of the lowest level clears you can get with a Fiesta team. You want to talk about time saving? It's not the twenty turns you spend prepping for a boss, it's the hundreds worth of grinding that you can entirely skip.

I find myself doing more grinding (for materials) with Chemist than I do without a Chemist. That's one of the reasons the job does not thrill me. The only times I ever really "grind" in FFV fiestas:
1. Chemist materials
2. Stupid reflect rings
3. The Bal Castle statues if I have some really ABP-heavy jobs.

That's it. I usually run from any and all annoying encounters, so I tend to be very low-leveled at the end. Still, I usually work out a way to not have to grind levels to get past Almagest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

And only Dragon Fangs are the really obnoxious ones, of which you really only need (assuming levels under 35) 16 of for Omega (assuming you just berserk Shinryu and move on with your life - I like to manfight him though and thus need another 16). You get Turtle Shells two at a go from Grass Turtles, which can be one shot by basically anyone in the third world and are available a loving stone's throw from the Void.

Hell, you could even slash that Dragon Fang number to 3 if it's your Chemist themselves doing the superboss murder and you use Samson's Mights (23) instead of Dragon Power (12) and drink a real Goliath Tonic.

Sure, you don't need to grind more than a couple items if you just go ahead and assume you're not really going to use your Chemist for anything but fighting Omega for the whole game, in which case they're an extremely mediocre class (like, Red Mage without the ability to break rods). Otherwise you're gonna be grinding. And despite what people claim in this thread, you are absolutely not rolling in gil for the vast majority of the game. Hell, most people have to grind money to afford the stuff they want from Mirage Village at the end of the game. So chances are your chemist isn't running around with a ton of phoenix downs or ethers either. When you limit them to potions and maidens kisses and such, they're much less versatile and powerful.

Boy, people take the suggestion that !Mix and chemists aren't perfect in every way very seriously. Chemists are an extremely powerful and versatile job, but that statement does have a big asterisk by it. There's nothing wrong with that! Every job in the game is great*. That's what makes it so much fun to play around with, as opposed to having The One True Job, and all the rest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

OzFactor posted:

He didn't even hit me. Bards are kind of rad.

Is... is Bartz disco dancing? I knew Bartz really is a Dancer at heart.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

Bless you, sir, bless you!

And The Run will use Monk, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. In the end, people always want to see other suffer more than they want to start the fiesta early.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think most people just think it's "cheesy," like using Vanish+Doom to kill bosses in FF6. It's an extremely powerful and extremely easy tactic that takes no finesse. But gently caress that, I'll break me some rods on Sol Cannon because gently caress that guy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Things I learned today: switching your weapons removes mixes like Resist Fire, etc. :psyduck:

Yep, so does getting KOed and stuff. It's delightful setting up a bunch of buffs for Omega, then having him kill someone and finding out you practically have to start over for them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Things I learned about Bard tonight as I wrapped up my test fiesta: Berserked bards keep singing but also attack. Doing this in the lategame with a hasted bard wielding the chicken knife and singing Swift Song (with Blink up to protect the song) is comedic and highly effective.

That is amazing. Singing while stabbing dudes to death is pretty loving metal. And yes, Bards are fantastic, especially for NED. Like, THE class to turn him into a total joke, competing with Chemist.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ready to roll!

By the way, if I recall correctly changing the battle speed only affects enemies and not your party, is that right? So it's best to set it to the slowest speed?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Going back to this, I'm having trouble finding Mammon in the third world. According to the unofficial official sources it's only found in the Great Forest of Moore, and that's apparently unavailable to me. (Thanks for the bit about Omega; he went down like a chump.)

Mammon also appears in one of the random battles on top of the dimensional castle in the Rift, where you fight Twintania.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

An understandable confusion, as affecting enemy speed is precisely what Battle Speed does in FFVI.

Ahh, that's what I was thinking of. I knew I didn't just imagine it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't like farming Metamorphs. It can be hard to kill them before they change with their 7000 HP, and if not then you have to wait around for them to waste a turn changing and then blasting you with some annoying attack. Killing them in non-old man form won't get you the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ranger is best when paired with another good physical attacker; by themselves, even with Rapid Fire, their damage output is "meh" (with rapid fire also making focus-firing difficult). Dancer is probably better off Dancing than Rapid Firing, and Monk's feeble fists will also not produce fantastic results. !Animals is most useful early on, when your odds of getting Nightingale are highest.

Monk is bad. Real bad. Especially when kept at low levels, like in a speedrun. Equip Bows might help them out some, though. They can use their high strength to do decent damage from the back row.

Red Mage is pretty bad without another mage backup. They certainly have their uses when there's a status they can exploit, and Rod Breaking is always an option. I'd say they don't contribute much to most random battles, but this is a speed run so there probably won't be a ton of randoms to participate in anyways. That actually improves their overall usefulness outlook- just break rods on bosses and throw out the occasional status or heal.

Dancer is squishy at the best of times, and even moreso when low level (again, in a speedrun). Are there even any easy-access sword dance boosting gear (that doesn't replace the ribbon slot)? I know there's the stuff in the dimensional castle, but that's super late. I suppose they could go try their luck with thief knives in the phoenix tower, but.... Point is, they'll be stuck with the 25% sword dance odds for a long long time.

It's a team that's got problems, we'll say that. Not the worst possible team, but.... ehhhh.

• Locked thread