Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Just as a benchmark, what's a reasonable level range for beating Neo Exdeath/also killing the superbosses? I've been running around with a practice run, having not played this game in years, and my characters are currently around level 40 before heading into the Rift. The lineup I rolled has been Thief/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dragoon, and at least thus far I've been able to kill everything in the optional dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

He has a beastmaster so Omega shouldn't be the slightest bit of a problem while he thundaga chicken mugs him.
What's this involve, anyway? :eyebrow: I'm not finding any ability I can use that would inflict Stop other than Electromagnetic Field (on a creature I don't have access to any more) or Tame/Calm (which only works on Creatures). And so far as I know that's the only relevant status Omega is vulnerable to...

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 17, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wow, even in the GBA version? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Shinryu will just be throwing repetitions at it, since you'd ideally want only one person reflected (probably the Dragoon?) and you need to hope that your released Mammon hits them with Berserk which reflects to Shinryu.
Going back to this, I'm having trouble finding Mammon in the third world. According to the unofficial official sources it's only found in the Great Forest of Moore, and that's apparently unavailable to me. (Thanks for the bit about Omega; he went down like a chump.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And thus now I've managed (barely) to kill Shinryu as well, though not without abusing the Mirage Vest glitch. What are the specifics on using that, anyway? It seems like the order of operations (ie, selecting equipped gear first vs. unequipped gear first) matters for some sort of status reset, but I'm not sure how. Sometimes it wouldn't work for me (losing me several attempts), so that seems the most likely culprit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Double post. (Thanks for the above help.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

...and now I've killed Neo Exdeath as well. It could have gone better (with a third Breath Wing, and cycling Odin back into the Magic Lamp), but considering that I usually grind out all the jobs and then steamroll the game this was an accomplishment. Considering that the practice run went decently well, I'll probably change my registration to Chaos (and donate if things go pear-shaped). All in all, I'd say that Dragoon was the only real dead weight job in the set. Thief allowed me to steal so much (and run from crap I didn't like), Mystic Knight allowed me to hit vulnerabilities (or trash bosses with Flare Sword), and Beastmaster allowed me to nab any number of one-shot oddball abilities.

quote:

I #pledge $10 baseline, $10 for every completed run, $5 for every dead superboss, and $2 per question I ask of the SA thread.
Figured I should throw that part in, considering the assistance I've gotten thus far.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most likely the GBA version. Given the above picture, the iOS/Android versions have "remastered" (and often goofy/messy) sprites. Additionally, several of the more useful bugs/oversights have been fixed/nerfed, and the boss scripting has had some changes. Plus only the GBA version allows you to fastforward/frameskip (assuming you were using an emulator :filez:), so I'd personally recommend the GBA version.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thus far I have Geomancer/Ranger/Dragoon/? on Chaos...so by process of elimination my last job is something else from the Earth Crystal. This is going to be interesting, I can tell. At least my current possibilities aren't too shabby (though Chemist is of course the best of the group).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After the Earth Crystal last night, I found that my last job is Dancer. It ain't Chemist, but Sword Dance is not to be scoffed out (I suppose) when the RNG treats you right.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

Hahah, funny, I could have sworn I asked for a Chaos run. Because this looks oddly like the worst possible No750 team you can get.
It's not great, but Beastmaster will still enable you to do all sorts of shenanigans, like holding down Omega with !Calm (the ability is bugged) and throwing Darkness (Ushabti)/Berserk (Mammon + character with Reflect) at Shinryu to make him mostly a joke. You'll still have issues doing decent AoE, but you'll generally be able to find something relevant wherever you end up needing it with !Catch/!Release.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is there any good way to see how much MP an enemy has remaining? I'm currently holding out against Omniscient with two characters equipped with Reflect Rings, and even sped-up the fight is still going for a seemingly endless amount of time. I'd have used magic if I could, but my current lineup is Geomancer/Ranger/Dragoon/Dancer. (So far as I know, even !Gaia isn't "magic" by the game's standards.) I'm using VBA-M, should that matter for variable lookups.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Tools -> Memory Viewer -> set it to 16-bit, watch 0201F058, check the automatic update tickybox.
Thanks! I was worried that something was weird, but no...he just takes so long to run his MP down. (As of this post he's at ~2500 out of 30000. :suicide:)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

As a tip for next time, if he silences/stops himself, sneak an Ether down his throat while he's incapacitated. As long as he's above 9999 MP, this will force his MP down to 9999, as all bosses that have in excess of 9999 MP are coded with a "max" MP of 9999 and just start higher. :eng101:
I'd heard about that, but when I tried doing other things at that point the window had evidently already passed. Slow on the draw, perhaps.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

It takes 6 hours realtime. Your emulator's speedup probably hits 4x-6x speed.

Tape down the button and read a book.
I'd toggled the turbo mode on it and set it to run even while inactive, so it was mostly just a background annoyance for an hour or so. (In-game time was about seven hours.)

Edit: Questions asked: 1

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 25, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Stupid Return, only casting 1 MP to cast. Omniscient was whittled down to 1 MP and I thought I was safe, then attacked him, only to get Returned. Thank god for save states, I had to Mage Masher him and feed him another Ether until he cast the right spells to get down to exactly 0.
He has Libra in his routine, so when he gets to that point you just need to wait until he can't cast that as well.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I managed to finish, though from the looks of it Omega and Shinryu are out of the picture unless I employ massive amounts of grinding. Another one for Mega64, I suppose.

Edit: How long does it normally take to process things before I can sign up for a new run?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

nuru posted:

Beastmaster feels weak on its own in my WHM/Zerk/Beastmaster party. I probably should just train my zerkers to use whips, then largely ignore it?
Beastmaster really starts shining once you've got the items (Kornago Gourd and Hypno Crown) that make !Catch and !Control easier to use, but even without them it's still good. The only real issue is that it's one of the most research-intensive classes in the game, even with respect to stuff like Chemist and Blue Mage. But I would definitely credit it with my victory over the superbosses in my practice run - Omega can be held down with !Calm, and Shinryu can be heavily nerfed with a combination of Berserk and Darkness (both of which can be granted with some setup around released monsters).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My star for killing NED showed up, so I guess at this point I can reregister and such?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hubris.height posted:

fucccckkk

how do i beat this guy without having float to cast? he kills my red mage and dancer with one earth shake. then another one to kill everyone else!

I know it's a bit late, but in my experience most of the bosses in this game can just be burned down with a sufficiently powerful alpha strike. Depending on which boss you're talking about*/your levels/your lineup, you may not actually be able to perform that alpha strike, but bosses like Catastrophe aren't actually terribly difficult if you can set up that alpha strike in the first place.

*Notably:
-Neo Exdeath has too much health and too many parts to do this.
-Omega has an attack script and counters that will destroy you if you try poking him incautiously, and his defenses are too high to deal damage in the first place without finding ways around them. (Rapid Fire, weaknesses, Sword Dance, etc.)
-Shinryu hits like a truck and has a bevy of status ailments to boot.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thief and blue mage thus far. Just being able to break rods is going to be so amazing, to say nothing of the wacky grab bag that I dimly recall of !Blue.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Got Thief/Blue Mage/Bard/Ranger. Honestly the last one's kinda gravy, since I can smack around anything with enough blue magic and songs (not to mention rods), but regardless it's a better set than last time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wolverine Tamer posted:

Run 2 complete, Beast/Beast/Beast/Dragoon have taken down both NED and Shinryu.

I got lucky while fighting Shinryu and actually managed to steal the dragon whisker from him, which wound up doing pretty decent damage against Neo's dragon part (a little more than 2k).

I'd take down Omega too, but apparently I sold my blitz whip at some point so I guess I can forget about that :(
Use the Trident, which you can buy in Jachol and which is also lightning-elemental.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

By default his Defense is 190 and his Magic Defense is 150, and thus most damage would simply fail to penetrate. My point on that clause was that Rapid Fire is one of several abilities that actually lets you get around that specific problem. And as noted on the previous clause, one also needs a way to deal with his counters. (Like you, I have been counterattacked by Omega when using Rapid Fire.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bufuman posted:

What do his counters include again? Could I conceivably get around the whole lot with, say, a Chemist with Dragon Kiss and Dragon Shielding?

(I'm hoping yes because otherwise I got no chance for a triple crown on my current run with Blue Mage / Ranger / Ranger / Chemist)
You can, it just involves a bunch of crazy setup.

Omega's counters are Missile/Missile/Mustard Bomb, then Missile/Missile/Encircle. The Heavy tag (from Dragon Kiss) makes you immune to all but Mustard Bomb. The problem, prima facie, with Mustard Bomb is that in Omega's hands it will deal a ton of damage (due to Omega's high level and high Magic Power) and always hit. So to counter this you'll want to destroy his level. In the meantime, however, he'll be throwing his attack routine at you:

Atomic Ray/Delta Attack/Blaster
Wave Cannon
Rainbow Wind/Flame Thrower/Atomic Ray
Wave Cannon
Delta Attack/Blaster/Wave Cannon + Maelstrom/Earthquake/Rainbow Wind
Targeting
Rainbow Wind/Flame Thrower/Atomic Ray
Wave Cannon
[repeat from the top]

Atomic Ray and Flame Thrower are both fire-typed attacks, so immunity to such (from Flame Rings) will work there. Delta Attack can be reflected, so use Dragon Defense for that. Blaster inflicts Dead and can thus be blocked by Life Shield. Rainbow Wind inflicts Darkness and Mute...which you don't care about because you're probably using Rapid Fire, Blue Magic, and Chemists. (It also inflicts HP Leak, but on its own that's a joke once you get the Heavy tag.) Earthquake is a ground attack, so you'll want Levisalve to avoid it.

So at this point the only things you care about are Wave Cannon and Mustard Bomb. Wave Cannon is non-elemental and hits for half your maximum HP, so you'll need to heal it away fast with either White Wind or X-Potion. Mustard Bomb just does a ton of damage, so you'll need to heal through that as well. (Shell from Dragon Defense helps, and so does Goliath Tonic.) But at this point you should be well capable of buffing your levels out the rear end to the point where (assuming you have Thunder Bows and the like) your Rapid Fire hits do ridiculous damage and overwhelm him with fire. :black101:

Or you could shove seven Dragon Powers down his throat (quickly), then reflect Level 5 Death off your party to kill Omega instantly. :fuckoff: Edit: Nope, can't do this.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 27, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I nEed help to defeat Twintania. He keeps festroying me with Mind Blast.
What's your setup? Depending on which direction you lean, you can wear Coral Rings or Reflect Rings to make his counterattacks a complete joke.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You may be fine with simply killing your berserkers and equipping Reflect Rings.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Got my first Omega kill. Bards make it look so effortless; I'd imagine that doing it without them (or anyone else with Stop) would require me to do more than just snooze through the fight with Romeo's Ballad and Rapid Fire chicken knifing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

So which blue magic can I just not get if I don't have control?

Dragonatrix posted:

None. Some might be harder or require you to wait 'til later, but there are no Blue spells that have mandatory !Control.

To elaborate, any confused monster will randomly use abilities on their Control list. Mind you, their AI will also treat the PCs as "friendly" and monsters as "hostile", so some effects may require a bit of finesse to grab. Thus this is not terribly useful for things like Level 3 Flare (from Red Dragons) unless you have Reflect, but it is useful for White Wind (Enchanted Fans) or Mighty Guard.

fruitpunch posted:

Any advice for Atomos with my Ranger/Dancer/Dancer/Dragoon party?
Come into the fight prepared to burn him down, and start with one person dead/everyone else not at full health. That way he'll not use Comet until you revive the dead character, at which point either he'll kill someone with Comet or you can beat him to the punch. Rapid Fire will be very helpful for you here. (And of course don't let Atomos actually suck up a dead character.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I had to do this battle twice because Shinryu doesn't have a boss death animation. :downs: Still, getting Darkness to stick is incredibly easy with the Dark Bow and Rapid Fire, so Shinryu became a joke once that stuck and I used my Wonder Wand for Berserk.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And that's the triple crown.

Overall this group had a slow burn. Once I got access to blue magic, my characters were extraordinarily resilient, but barring limited things like breaking rods the damage output took a while to get going before I was able to use devastating kill spells/Rapid Fire on a regular basis. Thief was...gimmicky but never not useful, with its ability to run everywhere/avoid back attacks/steal all kinds of things/not have a terrible Strength. Blue Mage was the tits and I will miss it in my next run. Bard was slow to put up buffs and usually became yet another vessel for blue magic, but during the late game I could toss up Sing on two characters and laugh at how much damage my characters were doing. And of course Ranger brings along Rapid Fire and a collection of useful bows. (As with the previous run, Rapid Fire was my primary source of damage, though in this case it was buffed Rapid Fire to the tune of ~20K when I got tired of waiting for the buffs to go up more.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Phoenix Tower monsters will only throw around loads of status effects if you attack them with the Fight command. Otherwise they will use such things only sparingly, so Mug should be sufficient to deal with most of your problems.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Welp, got Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dancer for a 750 run. Time to laugh at everything the game attempts to throw at me, because this group is arguably zanier than the previous set (that got me my first triple crown in Fiesta).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At some point (independent of the Fiesta, of course) I would like to try a run with just the GBA jobs. I'm not certain what I'd do for the various Cannoneer shot items, perhaps just hacking in the appropriate combinations or something, since they're normally unavailable until all the tablets have been turned in.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You stole my team! :argh:

NGDBSS posted:

Welp, got Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dancer for a 750 run. Time to laugh at everything the game attempts to throw at me, because this group is arguably zanier than the previous set (that got me my first triple crown in Fiesta).

(For real, though, good job there. And good luck for future runs.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jibo posted:

I never really got people wanting to find a way around the Flee effect on Chicken Knife. That poo poo only works on random encounters and you should probably be running from them anyway.
The issue is that it will still trigger in boss encounters. You won't be able to flee, but you will waste a turn making an attempt to do so.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bregor posted:

Best place to farm Elixirs in W3?
Flaremancers in the Fork Tower (magic side) have Elixirs as a common steal*, but I am uncertain as to whether you can Teleport out or not. And if that's unavailable to you or if you don't have a thief to steal efficiently...your next option is simply to grind for money. Outright buying them in the Mirage Village will always work, but they cost 50K each.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

On a normal playthrough you can give a Knight or Freelancer Blue Magic and have them Goblin Punch with the Brave Blade equipped. That bypasses the script that reduces damage based on how often you run, so you hit with its full power.
Not quite. The Chicken Knife gets its multipliers from both Strength and Agility on standard attacks (and things that use that formula), whereas Goblin Punch only gains multipliers based on Strength. (And of course the Chicken Knife is one of the few things that doesn't have a gimped multiplier from Agility.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

Wait, you don't have to split the party 2/2?

I just assumed you had to do that for some reason.
Often it's just helpful in case someone drops on either side.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Second triple crown/third victory:

So uh...I'd not tried using !Sing for its maximum effect before. Thus I wasn't expecting to be able to throw (with Air Knife/Magus Rod boosts) 9999s with Syldra at NeoExdeath like it was nothing. :stare: He went down like a chump, really; only got one or two actions off before I killed him.

As before, Blue Mage and Bard were extremely useful. On the one hand, Summoner burns through MP like no tomorrow. On the other hand, giving everyone in your party !Summon L5 rather mitigates that sort of problem. And this time around, Dancer was actually pretty useful as a class that -was fast, -could deal physical damage, and -could equip Ribbons. Without Ribbons, setting up the crazy buff setup on Exdeath would have been so much harder. Instead I had Golem and three characters immune to White Hole, so turtling was easy until I got some 99s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

First run done! Easy jobs but it's been years since I played FFV so I'm happy about it.
How'd the Omega kill work? Pray he doesn't use Encircle as a counterattack, and heal through everything else?

• Locked thread