Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Joined in for the first time last year only to get sidetracked by something or other.

Back for round two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

All of that said, it was a really fun run and I'd encourage you to try it.
I've long wanted to do this kind of run with Bravely Default, but was never sure how to get it off the ground.

Definitely doing this sometime. Thanks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pre-registered. Going in vanilla.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Augus posted:

I've never Fiesta'd before. I've never even played FFV beyond the first overworld before. I'm not even that good at RPGs. This is probably a terrible idea.

...So how does a Classic play through sound? Since I'm rather fond of FFI. Or should I do a normal fiesta since it's my first time? I'm bad at making decisions about things.
Hello me from last year.

If you don't know what to do, normal (#reg) is probably your best bet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

khy posted:

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)
Hulkamania will never die, brother.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gettin' a late start.

Bring it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Since I've never used monks before, I've been doing a little turbo grinding to get !Chakra on everybody for some healing. Since turbo mode makes everything super fast and painless, would it be worth my while to keep going for Counter at this stage in the game?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

What's turbo mode?
Hyper speed, basically.

Not recommended for most situations for a multitude of reasons, but it makes low-level grinding a breeze when all you can do is mash attack anyway and could use a few extra job points.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh man oh geez.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Got my first party wipe against Liquid Flame with three monks and a berserker. Next time gonna kill off the berk beforehand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Since I got Zerker twice does that mean I have to have two zerkers at all times?
Yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly surprised I didn't wind up with geomancer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Team Mash Attack With Strategic Interludes is finally assembled. At least +30% HP should temper my dancer's fragility a little.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.
Last year, my first fiesta, I got distracted by IRL stuff shortly after hitting the second world and never finished. Currently I'm on the cusp of heading there again, but with a party similar to yours: monk, berserker, beastmaster, dancer.

I'll be heading into virgin territory tomorrow. I'm more worried than enthused.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Poque posted:

EDIT: Found it! I had the same problem last year. If you have !Dance you can confuse the flying cats at North Mountain into casting Float on you.
If you have a beastmaster you can also use !Control to force one of the cats to cast float on your party.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:getin:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:smith:

Maybe it's because FFV is generally such an upbeat little game, but this scene got to me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dareon posted:

I just gave the Dancing Dirk to my Berserker. How good an idea is this? :getin:
I did this to my Berserker while grinding for Reflect Rings - replacing Death Sickle (for obvious reasons) - and forgot to remove it for Atomos.

Turns out a level 30+ Berserker performing Sword Dance does a good 5k every time. Pair 'em with some Dancer-specific gear to increase the likelihood of Sword Dance coming up in the rotation and they might end up being viable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

So I've never fought Exdeath before. Dude opened with Doom.

I opened with three Yellow Dragons. Then my Dancing Dirk Berk got off a Sword Dance.

Not even ten seconds man.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

So I've never fought Exdeath before. Dude opened with Doom.

I opened with three Yellow Dragons. Then my Dancing Dirk Berk got off a Sword Dance.

Not even ten seconds man.
Reporting in to say Antlion thrashed me after I forgot to change Free D and Krile's jobs to things other than Dancer and Monk with !Catch.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

D_W posted:

I was enjoying FFV then this happened:

Yo this game is pretty good.
I've run into quite a few people complaining about how goofy FFV is but I honestly prefer it to the more serious turn FF seems to have taken these days.

Gil is great and more big bad guys in RPGs should employ lovably enthusiastic henchmen.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

D_W posted:

Other than some pretty cringe worthy stuff with Bartz's and Guluf's reaction to Faris's gender at the start of the game, I've been finding it rather charming. I remember hearing that GBA localization was really good when it came out, but this is my first time playing it.
It's a bit awkward, yeah, but Faris is a cool character who I'm glad was included so I can let a couple jokes slide.

I'm also glad they didn't try to pretend with the coronation that she was never a pirate like another game I could mention.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Six in-game hours. Thank you turbo mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto

Thank you also to Neongrey for helping me figure out how much longer I had to go.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

Wait, you don't have to split the party 2/2?

I just assumed you had to do that for some reason.
Nope.

Sent my Berserker in alone with Mirage Vest and a pair of Hermes Sandals. Seemed to do alright, long as I remembered to heal after every fight.

Fork Tower itself was a largely useless detour since I don't have any access to magic of any kind, but I needed Cid to fix me up so I could head underwater for the last few pieces of equipment I need. For my Berserker, weirdly enough.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NED's dead baby.

Also these two losers.

Second fiesta, first win. Much obliged to everybody in IRC who put up with my inane questions and urged me to do crazy stuff like take on Omniscient with zero magic and berserk Shinryu.

Super special thanks though to my long-time friend Twelve by Pies who got me into FFV and the FJF in the first place.

EDIT: For fun I decided to keep track of my party wipes. Overall I saw 17 game overs.
  1. Liquid Flame (BOSS) - BERSERKER BIG HELP FIGHT BOSS YEP YEP
  2. Skull Eater - Just flee already, flee already, COME ON FLEE gaaah
  3. Bio Soldier - Ambushed at low health having just escaped Jachol Cave with the goods
  4. Soul Cannon (BOSS) - Utterly annihilated
  5. Zombie Dragon, Bone Dragon - Poison spam
  6. Antlion (BOSS) - Forgot to fix my setup after taking down Exdeath with a triple !Release
  7. Objet d'Art - Chest ambush, party "Broken"
  8. Ankheg - Random encounter on turbo mode
  9. Chrono Controller - Meteo shower
  10. Omega (BOSS) - Oops
  11. Omega (BOSS) - Remain calm, remain calm, remain WAIT WRONG NO AAAAA
  12. Omega (BOSS) - Immediate opening Atomic Ray
  13. Necromancer, Gorgimera - Night of the living dead, no holy water
  14. Iron Giant x2 - No mercy for cowards
  15. Shinryu (BOSS) - Immediate opening Tidal Wave
  16. Neo Exdeath (BOSS) - "The laws of the universe mean nothing"
  17. Neo Exdeath (BOSS) - Meteo, Almagest, Meteo, Meteo

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 5, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mustard Iceman posted:

Even four Breath Wings will still leave about 10-15K HP on each part of NED... If I can even kill Tree Exdeath...
I did it with a Monk, Berserker, Beastmaster, Dancer party.

It'll be annoying, sure, but manageable. Don't forget about the Magic Lamp either. Odin outright kills the dude at the back of the pack.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

What a time to be alive.
Maximum power ITT.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

*critically hits the dancer, instantly killing him*

Nice try.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stratavarius posted:

I heard that Mammons are on the roof of the castle section, near Twintania, but I haven't been seeing them in the GBA version. Am I in the wrong section, or do they not appear?

And if not, are there any other catchable monsters in world 3 that cast berserk? Trying for a triple crown, but I can't do it without a berserk !Catch.
They're there, it's just a rare encounter.

Keep at it, they'll turn up eventually.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Run No. 2's been a welcome reprieve from what I had to deal with the first go-around.

White Mage, Mystic Knight, and now a Ranger. Time to go after that fourth job.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Wow, looks like I'm Red Mage/Red Mage/Dragoon/Dragoon this time. Symmetrical-rear end run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyNOg4jSRg&t=63s

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I need to go there on the way to Istory anyway, but I'll make sure to grab it.
When you get it make sure not to do anything stupid with it.

Like sell it.

Like I did.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:pray:

:getin:

I'll take this as Gilgabot's apology for sticking me with a monk and a berserker on the last run.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 10, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nasgate posted:

I didn't even sign up fir no750, but I'm stuck with Knight/MK/Beastmaster/Samurai. All in all I've yet to lose to a boss. Though we'll see about exdeath in W2.
Give everyone in your party !Catch and release four yellow dragons.

Exdeath will be dead in the time it took you to read this post.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish other FF games were as replayable and challenging as 5. Like 6 has my favorite characters, story, music and everything else but I really have no motivation to replay it unless the game has been modded.
Final Fantasy IX with V's core mechanics would run the risk of becoming my most played game of all time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Don't worry, you're last job won't be Geomancer.

It'll be Monk. :getin:
I know two guys already got a fourzerker party.

Did anybody wind up with all monks?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Having waited several hours for Omniscient to run out of MP on my first run, Silence !Spellblade !Rapid Firing him to death with the Chicken Knife in the space of a minute on my second is oddly cathartic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mustard Iceman posted:

Run #18 is underway.
Where do you guys find the time to do all these runs?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Run No. 2 complete, triple crown get.

Surprising no one, this run went way smoother than my last one. Lower levels, lower clear time, even a lower death count (7 to the first run's 17).

On the fence about whether or not to do a third run, but I suppose I've got until Gilgabot processes my victory to think it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Eh I can probably do one more.

:gbsmith:

• Locked thread