Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yay so excited about this. I plan to introduce a whole bunch of people to this this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Grinding statues in real time. :stonk:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also the speed trap wouldn't be what it is if you weren't going 5x the speed you're supposed to be going.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Who is your favourite NPC? Mine is that rear end in a top hat wizard in Crescent who laughs in your face when your boat sinks and you're trapped there.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Gotta get my emotional state ready for horrible Syldra gurgles.

Really if you think about it FFV is a game about killing as many dragons as possible.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how much time I'll have this summer for multiple runs, so definitely doing chaos berserkerrisk and we'll see what we get!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The dancer one from that gallery is great too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's no real way to break the game by forgetting to do something. It guides you through pretty well.

There are some things that you should try to get depending on your jobs, but you can always post your particular jobs in the thread and ask then if there's anything you should focus on. Like maybe you get berserkers and want to farm death sickles or maybe you want to farm up some wall rings in one spot for later. If you get bard you'll want to make sure that you play every piano you come across. Every job has its quirks to make the runthrough run more smoothly, but no point going through them all before you get your job. You can also check the doc posted in the OP and look at the class section which details stuff you may want to focus on for that job.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can someone roll for me? I don't have IRC.

Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist.

Enjoy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I misread. If your Wind job is Thief, then yeah, you run four Thieves to Water. Then, if your Water job was, say, Chemist, you'd have any combination of Thieves and Freelancers (standing in as Chemists). If your Fire is also an Earth job (let's say Samurai), you'd have at minimum one Thief and two Freelancers until Earth.

I'd say you should still stick with only what you can play.

Freelancers are cheating!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

A_Raving_Loon posted:

If anyone wants to experience waiting out Omniscient, you can see it live!

I had to wait him out one year. I just put it on fast forward and watched a movie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Krile is usually the cutest for every job but I think her Black Mage, Dragoon, Berserker and Geomancer are the best.

Since I usually assign the classes to whoever looks the best I usually have to decide which Krile outfit is the best of my four classes and then after she is assigned who looks best in each of the others.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I like Krile because when she gets blind it puts the sunglasses where her eyes would be if she was the same height as every other sprite and it looks like she's wearing them on her head like a cool dude

Also, Krile has the best White Mage sprite

Tru dat

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

that berserker is definitely superdorbs. Bartz looks best as Dragoon though since he's Kain.

Both Lenna and Bartz make good looking Dragoons, but Krile easily takes it with her spiky scrunchy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

So I've heard people here say that levels are the least important resource in FFV, or something like that. Why is that, I don't really get why you'd want to run all the time, it seems like that'd catch up with you unless you had an instant death trick for the bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJxVJxNTQY

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love the fact that you can just walk right by Leviathan.

Just "hey bro, thanks for the save there, later." and head on out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, they resumed time and he wiped them at 8 health left.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For a non-traditional fiesta I like the idea that at each crystal you also get a new job for the crystals before it and you can no longer use your jobs from the previous crystal.

So a run could look like

Wind: Thief
Water: Black Mage, Berserker
Fire: Monk, Summoner, Geomancer
Earth: Black Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai

It's like multiple fiestas in one! Deciding whether you can keep any skills you learned before you got the new job is up to you, although I think for most people if that was an option they'd just grind out everything before they got their new jobs and that's boring.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I'm assuming the rate of growth is going to continue at least to some extent. Last year we already pushed into a few triple berserker teams so if people end up donating even more this year then then we'll have more.

I mean, last year we may have peaked but I'm doubtful that 11 grand is the upper end of where this event can get.

Last year 10 days in there was only enough berserkers for half the people who registered for it but someone donated several thousand dollars and that bumped it up so everyone could get one. People pledge and donate after, but it's the pre-donations that matter for berserker's risk.

Schwartzcough posted:

Or if you actually want the Elf Mantle from the Walse Castle Basement and don't abuse quicksaves.

I try for this every single time, no matter how long it takes. I abuse quicksaves though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm really looking forward to participating as not only a first timer, but a first FFV timer too.

Question: what prevents someone from cheating their way through? I assume it's mostly a case of "don't cheat in the spirit of charity" otherwise your a massive rear end in a top hat kinda thing right?

Partially, but also people do the fiesta because they enjoy the challenge of trying the game new ways. No reason to cheat if it is the entire reason you are playing the game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's also why we all secretly hope for really difficult combinations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Registered for chaos and berserker risk! Super excited.

Remember the polite thing to do: take a berserker, leave a berserker.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

You are correct. We currently have seven. We need... considerably more.

Just added 10! I hope I can be selfish and get 2 of them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
berserker/berserker/monk/monk!

Let's do this!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I add in numbers to variations of "Poque" so I can differentiate easily between runs. Last year I had Poque, PoxTwo, PThree, and PqFour. I will go further this year!

I named mine after numbers last year so it was basically Gundam Wing.

This year it'll all be Fartz.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
More than the names, I actually distinguish my runs by changing the HUD colour every time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Helps with Twintania, Melusine, and a few others. I usually do it whether I know I need it or not because they're much more annoying to get later.

Yeah, it's usually just in case because I'm cheap. I'll also farm death sickles if I have a berserker because you can never have enough, especially if you can dual wield them.

Every time I play I try to spend less time farming statues. I've farmed them so everyone is max level everything, even though I know I don't need it, but I'm trying to resist the temptation.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ha! RNG was kinder to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJxVJxNTQY

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ugato posted:

What level(s) do you think would be feasible for you? I'm trying to think of a good way to incentivize this further with adding my own donation/pledge.

$X - highest level

Actually I'll do this pledge for the low level run. Starting at $50.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bufuman posted:

To make no mention of the castle that doubles as a sand-submarine. I still think that one may top anything else the series has done in terms of pure insanity.

FF8 had high schools double as floating cars.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GreatRedSpirit posted:

More like a ridable lawnmower with how fast the garden moves

At least it didn't run out of gas.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Please water the tree, because as of now over 100 risk players aren't going to be getting any berserker at all, nevermind anyone getting two!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

InfernoBlade posted:

Not as much as I was able to impact it in 2013 though sadly. $600 then was against a much smaller pool of players. And I doubt my employer's match is going to count for the tree, since it won't go through the widget. Nonetheless, I've done what I can. If we get more berserker risk players than berserkers, I might have to do something about that, but hopefully that's enough water.

That's already around 150 bonus berserkers now, so do not worry, you've already done much, much, much more than enough.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thought I'd get myself all ready to go, forgetting that it takes like 20 minutes to get your jobs at the wind shrine. I want this to start!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
GBA version is my personal favourite.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kyoujin posted:

Dug out the old gba sp but can't find the charger anywhere. Good thing Amazon will have one here before Sunday!

Registered for chaos berserker risk but only see berserker risk in the confirmation tweet. Is that normal? So hype for fiesta

If you look for your twitter name on the players list it should say what you're signed up for.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bloomington posted:

This looks like a lot of fun. Never played FFV before, so this would be a great way to do it.

Has anyone played the android port before? I'm thinking about grabbing it but I've heard mixed opinions about it.

EDIT: Related more to the gameplay itself, the art style is bearable.

Gameplay wise, the GBA version may be easier. It really depends on your jobs though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The streams start at noon. We start when they finish or noon (?) Monday, whichever comes first.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:toot: Squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I guess I should post a picture of my Fartz for posterity.

• Locked thread