Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Geomancer's problem is that it doesn't contribute much late game. Gaia is really too unreliable in most places to be any good, and bells are just lovely weapons all around. In addition, Geomancer doesn't really get anything that can mitigate Chicken Knife's Flee chance, and it's not like it has good physical attack power. In the end Geomancer usually just ends up being a second Summoner/mage rather than being able to stand on its own abilities.

The only really unique thing I've ever been able to do with Geomancer was in one run when I had it and Berserker, I got a Rune Chime randomly so I gave it Equip Axes and it was a pretty good physical attacker with the Rune Bell. Still inferior to what most other classes can do but it was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

This time I'm gonna make sure to get everything finished before the last day so gilgabot doesn't miss my amazing total victory! When I get some free time I'll give Kyrosiris my twitter handle, as stated in the OP. I'm really glad that has been looked at, as twitter's sudden change really screwed thing up for a lot of people last year. Or maybe just for me.

It wasn't just you, I had to have Kyrosis tweet at RK to have Gilgabot follow me last year, because none of my tweets to either of them were going through and it would've caused me to end on an incomplete run.

Poque posted:

what was everybody's favorite party last summer?

Most of my parties last year were pretty same-y since I got Summoner for 3/4 of them, hell two of my parties were identical outside of one job (White Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dragoon was my first run, White Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Dragoon was my third, though I ended up Job Fairing for a Chemist on that one).

In the end I guess my favorite was Blue Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Beastmaster because I'd never used Beastmaster before and it was pretty fun.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

On a run in my first Fiesta, I ended up killing Omega by doing the Poison Rod/Quick trick. That was a pretty long wait as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It should also be noted that due to Omega's inherent Reflect, you can't target him directly with the rod, you have to have Reflect set up on one of your characters and bounce it onto him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only way I can see anyone saying Thief is worse than Monk is if they only played up until the end of world 1 and then quit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone remember any of the dumb-dumb things that dumb-dumb speedrunner said last year while running his Fiesta? I vaguely remember him saying letting the Aegis Shield burn was a good idea? :confused:

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, for those who haven't been following the streams, I have to put this down to preserve it for prosperity because holy loving poo poo this is terrible.

Dragondarch's team is Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer. Here's his foolproof strategy for dealing with the Seal Guardians in Moore Forest.

1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.

SIMPLE! :pseudo:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Brave Blade isn't actually particularly tedious, especially since if you're doing one you have Knight, which can pretty easily shred 90% of Random Encounters.

My very first Fiesta I went for the Brave Blade for the first time since I've played FFV, and two handed full power Brave Blade is pretty nice. Though admittedly it is a bit tedious having to fight every encounter, I wouldn't do it again unless I had a class setup that absolutely couldn't use Chicken Knife at all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It turns into a bit of a slog in Exdeath's Castle where you have the loving dragons constantly having way too much HP, and then the Rift is utterly unbearable.

So basically, those 90% of Random Encounters are still not enough to make up for the other 10% being horrid.

The Rift isn't too bad if you pulled Mystic Knight like I did since almost everything there is vulnerable to Break blade.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I bought a Chemist last year for a run and it definitely wasn't more than 6 dollars, may have been five even.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I'm surprised that the Black Mage is more expensive than the Blue Mage. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I would've though that status effects are a lot more valuable than raw damage.

Edit: Same for Ninja vs. Bard.

My favorite is Beastmaster being a dollar and Geomancer being 2, solely because RK hates Beastmaster despite it being a better job than Geomancer by far.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Chaotic Neutral posted:

* Defender no longer casts Protect

I understand all the other things, as they were fixes to actual bugs, but why did they change this?

You forgot Adamngolem.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Simpsons references are always funny, name him Bortz instead.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

LaserShark posted:

Pity that 'dumbass' is too long.

Dumass fits though and it's close enough, can even make a "It's pronounced doo-moss" joke.

Registered for a random run and Berserker Risk, I normally start out with a normal run but that would only give me one Berserker, the fun of Berserker Risk is the possibility of multiple

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

When you get to your respective crystal, you tweet #wind, #water, #fire, or #earth to Gilgabot and he will respond with a job to you.

You shouldn't ever have to tweet #wind actually. Gilgabot assigns the wind job when the Fiesta starts if you preregistered, and whenever you register for a new run, it gives you your wind job right off the bad in the verification tweet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looking at my twitter, I did tweet #wind in 2012, but I did not in 2013.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Chemist neutralizes literally every ability he uses aside from Wave Cannon, which you top up with X-Potions.

That still doesn't trivialize Omega since it can still wipe your party before you get all the necessary buffs up, and this can be especially difficult if you don't catch it on a preemptive strike.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Lookin' good there guys, with your hands down by your shins like some sort of orangutan.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

You fucker I'm probably never going to unsee this, just like how I'll forever see Shadow's sprite as wearing big orange goggles.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still does this.

I also to this day can't help but see Agahnim's tiara in LttP as his face with an open mouth.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I know that Natural runs are unfun and bad and should be avoided but I can't help but think that Classic might be fun...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So out of curiosity which is the worse party to get on a Classic run, four White Mages or four Monks?

I feel like the answer is "Obviously four Monks" but maybe there's something I'm forgetting, like some late game boss that absorbs Holy or something which would make four White Mages much more of a pain.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Still blows my mind that RK hates Tactics.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

eLmaGus in first place, having beaten Garula, HappySquid and DD still battling it. puwexil is still grinding out levels in Walse Tower.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Despite wiping to Garula, DD has managed to get about a minute ahead of puwexil again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

eLmaGus probably gonna win it.

HappySquid had a pretty comfortable lead for a while but now he and eLmaGus are grinding Black Flames.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

DD is apparently going to do all the grinding he needs to beat the final boss in world 1, so he'll be behind for a while.

Doesn't he not even really need to grind? I mean Monk gets HP+30%, that should be plenty to keep the other classes safe from Almagest right?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

eLmaGus now in world 2, puwexil just beat Soul Cannon, and HappySquid in the ruins.

DD still grinding.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Are those Mini Dragons Dragondarch is grinding on worth the two Thunder Rods he has to break to beat each group?

They're apparently the best source of experience outside of stuff like the Shield Dragon which they don't have the classes to beat.

He does go grinding on Wild Nakks for money to buy more rods though (even though the Black Flames give more money).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

To be fair the logic is probably that the Nakks are faster and easier to kill for that party even if Black Flames technically give more money.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

eLmaGus got the Killer Bow proc on the Dragon Pod which saved him a ton of time, yeah.

DD also mentioned that if you have Beastmaster you can catch Aquathorne and release it against Dragon Pod for a chance at an instant kill, I found this pretty funny considering that someone got banned last year from his chat for telling him to use that strategy against the crystals.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Shwqa posted:

The best part is grinding with two red mages is stupid. You want multiple rapid fires. And maybe multiple hp+30%

Yeah but he needed two Red Mages so he could break two thunder rods, using only one per fight would have put him at risk of getting wiped by Frostbite.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Update: As DD enters world 2, Magus is already hiding in the moogle cave while Moore burns, and puwexil and Squid both are in Barrier Tower.

Nihilarian posted:

If you dual wield rods, does the elemental boost stack? How about other elemental boost equipment, like Gaia's Gear and Magus Rod?

Dual wielding rods does boost the broken rod, I believe. If you're asking if it would be boosted twice, then no, I don't think boosts stack.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

HOLY poo poo. Magus beat the crystals by Faris being the only survivor of Firaga with 1 HP and taking it out the following turn.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Now the Debt Collector for Magus's failure to grind earlier."

And Magus still won anyway. Not a graceful win, but a win.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah squid is having some awful luck with Exdeath, he's in last place now since DD is in world 3.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Magus making a big mistake trying to berserk Omniscient without a way to deal with his brutal physicals. He'd be much better off just giving his Red Mage the Reflect Ring he got.

EDIT: oh well never mind, Omniscient was doing 0 HP damage to him by the end of the fight, was only half paying attention so not sure how that happened.

E2: vvv Ah that makes sense, didn't know Omniscient was vulnerable to old. Neat.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 22, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Is "there" somewhere other than the top of Istory Falls?

There's a small indent in the Great Sea Trench you can walk into that recharges the lamp, so most of them have been grinding there.

And DD decided to do Istory Falls before the Trench, and the funny part is Magus is at the Falls too, so people are going to think DD has caught up when in reality he's a dungeon behind. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Another neat trick this year's Fiesta has taught me: leaving the treasure chest in the Beginner's Hall unopened for the purposes of Chicken Knife boosting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NOPE! DD forgot to go get the weapons so he has to leave the Rift and go do that!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Almagest part dead for Magus.

All those Sword Dances...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Based eLmaGus, proving his strategy was superior to DD's.

Also he got INSANELY lucky a lot.

• Locked thread