Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I didn't finish my run last year because i'm a loser.

This time i'm dragging my bf down with me.

When can we begin adding to the berserker pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Probably June 1, like pre-registration.

Also since I did not last year (the 11414.14 total amused me too much), I'm chipping in the $18.40 that we collectively raised by falling in Dr. Clapperclaw's Deadly Speed Trap once donations for 2015 are open, so we've got almost two berserkers on the tree right off the hop.

I'll do the same as last year and chip in at least 10 zerks.

Do we still have the "take a berzerker leave a berzerker" image?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I would much rather have a Berserker than a Chemist.

I secretly dream of a 3 Zerks and a Knight.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!

*Gets first set of jobs. Sees Bartz dressed as batman.*

I approve.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Uh is Can of Worms Balance patch valid for the run?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minrad posted:

i heard if you don't play a famicom cart of ff5 in japanese than gilgabot comes to your house and turns you into an irl berserker, then pits you against sand worm

So it's basically like my run last year where I lost 3 hours fighting sandworm.

E: I ask about the patch because it makes a Berserker risk run look really fun. Just the thought of having three !Dancing berserkers or having !Rapidfire on all of them.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 26, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minrad posted:

it's a charity event. if you feel like playing a patch that makes the game more fun is 'bad' or 'against the rules' or whatever, then donate to charity as penance.

20 more zerks to the zerking pool :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll do the same run as last year, no750 with Risky Riches. I got Knight/Berserker/Berserker/Dragoon for my practice run. With the balance patch the berserkers are jumping all the time while two-handing axes. It's pretty amazing. Oh also if you put berserk on somebody with a berserker enabled command they'll do the same.

Curious to see what the chaos mode is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

I'm in the ship graveyard. When I look at the skeletons I see Glenn Hughes from the Village People.

The skeleton in question :

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)

Man that version looks kinda ugly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

It's just patched SNES ROM

Sorry I thought it was the android version.

Turn off those filters then.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Out of curiosity, why does the Fiesta have options for "420 rods errday" and "gently caress rods" setups? Just for fun?

In my case it's a higher chance of jerk zerks.

It's basically a do you want a magic or melee only team challenge.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can't stop reading up on stuff to use for the berserker. With the balance patch Berserkers are much more flexible. Now I'm just looking at my secondary ability options are for a berserker in a no750 run.

From the wind crystal I don't see any issues with whatever I get.
- The Knight's probably the best of this trio giving two-handed, cover and equip swords.
- The Thief's passing on !Mug and Artful Dodger fixing the zerks awful speed.
- The Monk's going to pass on all those health buffs, !Focus, counter and barehanded.

Fire crystal jobs seem fine too.
- Ninja's Dual Wield mean double Death Sickles :black101:
- Beastmaster can pass on Equip Whips so I can dump him in the back row with the dragon's whisker.
- Rangers give him !Aim and !RapidFire meaning I can Hand him the Chicken Knife and let him go nuts.

Earth Jobs I can work with either.
- Samurai gives !Mineuchi, Shirahadori and Equip Katanas.
- They can use everything from Dragoons and !Jump means I can hand him a Chicken Knife and I sure !Lance will be handy at some point :shrug:.

I know it'll probably cause severe headaches but i'll take a shot at Shinryu and Omega.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

Despite the fact that the whole 'Fartz' thing is poking fun at my dislike for silly names for my characters I still enjoy it when the rest of you do it.

I can't believe you don't like Fartz. Everybody loves Fartz.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

Bah, !Mix is overrated. :colbert:

:aaaaa: Take it back!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Did nobody tell Dragondarch that was a stupid plan at the time?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:downs: : I've devised a fullproof way of beating the crystals that only takes 2 hours of grinding and setup to achieve!
:eng101: : Why not just use instant-death attacks cause they're not immune to it?
:downs: : I AM THE AUTHORITY ON FINAL FANTASY V SPEED RUNS AND GET THE gently caress OFF MY CHAT! :argh:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

To be fair, the instant death attacks in question have something like a 30% chance to hit a single target and he can only bring 4 of them.

I'd still just straight up still pick the insta-death plan over grinding out anything else.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I know insta-death definitely isn't the best option (especially with DD's team setup) but to me it's just satisfying handing all my members death sickles and watchings skulls appear over each enemy.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm curious now, does counter include magical properties of the weapon used for the counter?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp I suppose since I hosed up my back something fierce I can do nothing else but play Fiesta Practice runs till my eyes bleed. :v:

StrangeAeon posted:

I'm kinda broke for the charity half, but I'll sign up for the Fiesta run! I'm sure never having played FF5 before will only enhance the experience.

We're just over half berzerker saturation currently.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 9, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Luceid posted:

but FF8 is cool :confused:

The correct response is "...whatever"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

PSX version doesn't like me.

Holy poo poo you found Missingno.

Golden Goat