Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
poo poo, this topic has already been around for 2 weeks? How the hell did I miss it? Oh well.

Running Chaos BERSERKER RISK for my first run this year. Hope to have the patience to beat my 7 runs last year (I kinda burned out on the last one, but I'm aiming for double digits this time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Also, is there player records from previous years somewhere? I forgot what all I did last year (aside from the shitfest that was my Classic run with 3 Monks + Red Mage) and wanted to be refreshed on that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
To be completely fair, some of those Natural boosts aren't too bad. Knights get decent mileage out of Double Grip, Thieves can use !Mug for Chicken Knifing, and the Fire jobs that aren't Bard get some decent abilities.

But there's also really no saving some jobs. I speak from experience when I say that !Dualcast doesn't make Natural Red Mage any good. When you're stuck with -ra level spells, a second casting is like trying to put out a fire by spitting on it twice. Though I'll also admit that the status spells at least came in handy (most of the normal monsters in the Void were vulnerable to at least one of the statuses Red could inflict, and Dualcasts gave the option to either double your success rate or incapacitate two enemy types at once). Still, never again.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Alabaster White posted:

Aren't -aga level spells literally 4x as good as -ara spells? I wish Red Mages had staying power in any game ever, they're so cool :(

IIRC they were valuable for the longest time in FFXI, primarily because of Refresh, one of the best buffs in the game (restores a bit of MP every few seconds, making it a godsend for casters like White and Black Mage). Since the level required for Refresh was 41, you couldn't use RDM as a sub and keep refresh, because subjobs only get half the level of your current prime job, and the max level was 75 for years and years. Eventually, however, they gave in and upped the level cap to the usual 99, so I'm guessing RDMs are subjob fodder (I wouldn't exactly know, I haven't actually played the game in years, and didn't even get very far; most of my info about high-level play comes from the now-defunct [GM]Dave's blog).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

You think that, and then you end up with Monk/Monk/Thief/Red Mage.

I actually got Monk/Monk/Monk/Red Mage for my only Classic run.

Which is WHY it was my only Classic run. It was also the only one I actually needed to grind in to beat (darn level-dependent Monk punches).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

!Iainuki says hi. :v: The only thing it's missing is a way to work on Heavy enemies/bosses, but otherwise it's the closest you get to those specific requirements.

It also takes forever to go off, which means you're taking hits while waiting for Musashi to run that poo poo, which means you'll probably have to spend resources healing the damage.

But really, if such an ability were present in FFV, what fuckin' fun would it be?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
For the record, Lancet also causes Omniscient to reset the battle. I know this because I got stuck with a mostly-melee team for one run (it might've actually been a No750 run) and didn't have any magical options. I had to savestate up silencings with Mage Masher to win. It was either that or wait for him to run out of MP the long way, and screw that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Got my save file all ready. My dislike of silly names got beaten out by my desire to play FOR CHARITY!

Now I just have to wait just over 2 weeks without exploding from impatience.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I imagine that that both Team White and Team Punch are going to need a lot of grinding. White Mages so they can kill stuff before running out of MP, and Monks because their attack damage is based heavily on level.

Probably the biggest wall for both teams is going to be Byblos. White Mages will need a lot of levels and/or luck to overcome his Drain counters, while Monks need similar requirements to get past his stupid-high Evasion before Wind Slash cuts them all down.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Trasson posted:

Alternative answer: Equip Shields on the Dancer for a loadout of Chicken Knife/Aegis Shield/Ribbon/Rainbow Dress/Hermes Sandles.

Funny story: I had that ability on my first run's Dancer Lenna last year. Thanks to the Aegis Shield, she was the only one that lived through Neo's first Almagest and got everyone back on their feet within a few rounds. If she hadn't blocked it, that would've been a party wipe (she only had around 1000 HP). She also blocked the second one (though on that one Knight Bartz also lived, he only died to the first one because he had low HP) for kicks, and I brought that section down before he could get off a third.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

I seem to be one of the few people willing to overlook the whole Basement Girlfriend subplot, if only because I view it as Cryogenic Freezing But With Magic Herbs, while everyone else apparently sees it as "Locke keeps his girlfriend's rotting corpse in a basement under the care of some weird old dude that does who-knows-what to the body in between Locke's creepy staring sessions." While kinda hosed up, it's not nearly as much as people make it out to be.

Granted, they really could've done without that whole bit to begin with. Maybe just not have Rachel's body in magical stasis or something, and just leave it as having her die while he was away. For Locke's closure (and to keep Phoenix magicite in the game), let Phoenix talk to her soul or something.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

FF6 is a game where a mad man throws his infant son into a monster-infested plain, a knight watches his entire kingdom including his family die of poison, and a town ends up having nobody but orphaned children after all the parents are killed by the villain. Also Moogle genocide.

One man keeping his girlfriend's corpse in the basement isn't too crazy in comparison.

To make no mention of the castle that doubles as a sand-submarine. I still think that one may top anything else the series has done in terms of pure insanity.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'm considering doing this year's run on my iPhone 6+. Can I take screenshots with that device, or do I need an iPad or something?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe we should relabel the Megathread "every FF is the silliest FF". I'd almost say "except 13", but then I remember that time that Sazh gets punked by a Gigantuar, complete with tuba noises and cartoon sound effects.

Sazh and Frocobo more than fill any sort of silliness quota.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Jueg01 posted:

That's a one-off, optional sidequest fight with no real buildup and the rest of the party barely even acknowledges the thing's existance.

The only real time there's any sort of (intentional) hilarity is whenever the chocobo chick enters the picture.

There's a few other bits too, really. Like the hunt mission for Zenobia the Butcher. You get to the mission spot, Zenobia puts on a menacing show... then gets its rear end shanked by a drat Tonberry. Now THAT'S funny.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

:stare:

:stare:

:unsmigghh::hf::black101:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Yeah, a lot of classes can be made salvageable with the right secondary skill. For instance, Knight or Ninja would improve Berserker, Dragoon, and Dancer; all three benefit from Ninja's Dual-Wield (this skill benefits drat near every physical class, really), Berserker can get some mileage out of Two-Handed (spears can't be used with both hands for some incredibly odd reason) while fragile little Dancer gains some protection (which they desperately need if you're running them in the front row) with Equip Shields.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Able to equip Chicken Knife and get up to a 50% chance of a 4x multiplier on it. Also Ribbons. Dancer is amazing.

And if they weren't great enough on their own, they can pass Equip Ribbon to other classes (though Rapid Fire probably beats it out for overall usefulness). And you can even work around Monk, give him !Time to pass on Time Mage's nice MP and Magic and let Monk become a second Time Mage with Monk's high HP. Seriously, you had a drat solid setup there.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fungah! posted:

dancer's not the worst class in the game but it's probably my least favorite

What, really? I would've thought everyone had Geomancer as their least favorite. It's basically useless in battle once !Gaia starts to drop off like mid-way through the game, and there's only two places (three if you count the speed trap and other pits in Ronka Ruins) where their field abilities come into play, one of which is optional.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, that's totally legitimate; I honestly dislike Dragoon more than its stats/capabilities deserves.

*looks at the solo omnithread*
:smith:

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, since the Speed Trap is already visible, Light Step doesn't even apply to it! :eng101:

Oh, right, I forgot that one starts out already open. So I guess that leaves... one pit in that treasure room? Seriously, Geomancer. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I will freely admit that having their abilities for Exdeath's Castle is a HUGE boon, though. Those lava floors are brutal, especially with no healing.

But then again, Time Mage also gets around them with Float, so :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Archenteron posted:

Oh dear. I just realized that Chaos theoretically might give us Mime as a job :stonk:

...Wait.

Chaos might give us Mime :allears:

Or one (or more!) of the Advance jobs, which IIRC means getting all 12 legendary weapons. And some of us have it combined with Berserker Risk. Eep. :ohdear:

EDIT: Come to think of it, getting Mime on Berserker Risk would suck too. Though I guess you could always kill off Berserker for Gogo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

fruitpunch posted:

The IOS version has auto battle, which is very handy. It is, however, very ugly, not as ugly as the FFVI port on IOS thankfully.

That's mostly a matter of opinion, too. I'm one of the few that actually likes the art style somewhat. Or maybe it's just that I like having a fresh look after having only ever played the PSX and GBA versions. Probably a bit of both.

I will willingly admit that they did a really lovely job on the area map tiles though. You can easily divider lines practically everywhere.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Trust of the words of everyone who's done a Natural/Classic run (which includes drat near everyone in this thread): NATURAL RUNS ARE NOT FUN. They're really not even challenging in a good way. A good challenge is one that makes you think outside the box and make each choice, set-up, and action as efficiently as possible. Natural is a boring-rear end grindfest where the only challenge is gaining levels until your characters are tough enough to overcome their sharply limited skillset.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
My workweek includes Sundays, so I can't watch live. :negative:

Well, I can get Fiesta-ing once it's open to players, at least even if I'm still at work. I got FFV iOS for that exact purpose.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I believe it was after both were finished. :eng99:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I know somewhere between Jack and poo poo about speedrunning since I have no real interest in it, but even I'm starting to wonder about this guy.

Maybe he's doing it on purpose to troll people. It's a mini-victory for him every time a viewer's eye twitches.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

!Rapid Fire is literally better than !Dance with the Rainbow Dress.

Sword Dance is effectively 4x damage (2x Attack, 2x M) that occurs 50% of the time, so effective 2x damage over infinite timespan.

Rapid Fire is effectively 2x damage (1/2 M, 4 attacks) that has upsides (cannot miss, ignores defense, ignores weapon procs).

On top of that, he's at outrageously inflated levels, and has Monk, so he could Barehanded Sword Dance for upwards of 3k. Which he was doing in world 2, but has stopped because :iiam:.

E: He has now equipped !Red 2 to his Mastered Ranger for Melusine.

Of course, there's also the obvious downside of being unable to choose your targets with Rapid Fire. Which can be a problem against foes that require precise damage control, such as the Crystals or Gargoyles against a team with no decent MT damage. But then again, precise damage isn't exactly the domain of Dance either, so it's a wash.

As for your edit, my theory is looking more and more likely. Or he hit his head recently.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, wow, 200+ new posts since I signed off last night. Can I assume that DD's "strategies" provided the bulk of the commentary? Is there a consensus on what his "best" move was?

Dammit, why do I work a Sun-Thurs shift? Before next year's fiesta, I'm applying for a different shift.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Wolverine Tamer posted:

The wait is killing me, my god.

Edit: "DISTRIBUTING BERSERKERS. PLEASE WAIT."
Yesssssssssssss

:o:

THE TIME IS UPON US

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Define "best". If you mean "the one that backfired most spectacularly", it was banking on the Wonder Wand's Break to kill Twintania (which failed the first time and cost him a good five minutes and possibly the second place spot). If you mean "the one that is horribly stupid but actually didn't go as badly as we expected", it was grinding to endgame levels in W1 off a bunch of Mini Dragons and Nakks.

I was thinking in terms of "the move that caused the most facepalms", but those work too. :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

drat, really? I was thinking it'd be like 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure I can take the suspense. :negative:

I'm up for Chaos Berserker Risk, and with almost 200 extra 'Zerkers, I have a decent shot of getting two. :ohdear:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hmm, it occurs to me that those of us playing Chaos might get a Water/Fire/Earth job for Wind. In which case Chaos players could be working on Freelancing their way to the Water Crystal.

*starts up his file*

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Crap crap crap, my first Chaos job is Berserker too. And since there's 200 extras, second job might be Berserkers too. And if third is Earth or a late Fire job...

*breaks down in a panic attack at the idea of Berserkers-only Byblos*

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Randalor posted:

:stonklol::respek::stonklol:

On the plus side... It... It can't get much worse than this... Right? I mean, what are the chances of two berserkers? Or four?

There's 834 Berserkers and only 635 BR players. And given that a good chunk of those BR players might be on Normal, if you're on Chaos or Random with Risk, there's a good chance of getting an extra Berserker. That is precisely why I'm panicking.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Oops, almost forgot to post my iOS Fartz shot.

Though if I get Berserker for my second job, I'm probably going back to VBA-M. No loving way am I playing a 2-Zerker run without savestates, especially if my third job is also physical and/or post-Byblos. gently caress that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, so not only did I not get the triple Zerker, but my third job STILL puts me at Zerkers Only through the whole drat first world.

I'm going to prepare my Bar for Bawling about Byblos.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So yeah, with BerserkerX2 + Samurai (and my last job presumably Earth too), I'm not doing this on iOS. Imma want fast forward for grinding. And save states, very much those bastards. So, back to VBA-M. And of course, that means I must post proof of Fartz

Behold, Fartz 9, the ultimate level of Fartz!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

MrAristocrates posted:

I got Samurai for my fire job, which means I get to fight Sandworm with four Berserkers.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Wait, did you get Berserkers for the first two as well? poo poo, we should check our Earth jobs and see if we got the same party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I checked my last class out of curiosity.

I can deal with this. Team will be a bit fragile, and no decent magic class so I can't go with Improved Rune Axe Berserker, but if all else fails I can solve my in-game problems the way all problems are best solved: throw money at it.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, this team might at least have some decent synergy. Not GREAT, but decent. Equip Ribbons or Shirahadori for everyone depending on the situation (maybe Zeninage for the Dancer if I need to double up on it), and of course there's always the option of Chicken Knife Sword Dance.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread