Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've never managed to make it more than ten or so hours into FFV, but I just bought it on my iPhone so I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot this year. Is there a slightly easier run I can do since it's my first time, e.g. is there a run where you can't get a Berserker or something? I just want it to be fun and Berserkers aren't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm practicing since this is my first actual playthrough of the game and my first job was Black Mage. I broke my Ice Rod to kill Garula (was down to only Lenna and one more hit would have killed her), should I have saved it? Then I got Mystic Knight as my next job so I guess that's good.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, I got Beastmaster as my third job, kind of disappointing but I don't think I'm allowed to complain with a Mystic Knight. What should I be catching in the early game?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Wait, hold on, in my practice I got the Fire Crystal jobs and they were only Ninja, Beastmaster, and Geomancer, so I put those in the RNG. Was I supposed to add Ranger and Bard? When do I get those?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, well, since this is just practice I'll roll it again. And my Beastmaster died before even hitting Byblos anyway (I broke two rods in his face after that).

...Bard!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Bard team is having a real problem with the second form of Archaeoaevis: I can't keep up with just potions when it can bring the whole party to under 10 hp any time it wants, I can't do anything to stop getting confused (apparently hitting my own guys with elemental damage doesn't turn them back?), and I just can't do enough physical damage with anyone. If I use one of the level 2 spellblade spells (i.e. poison or sleep), my damage should be non-elemental, right? Should I be doing more than ~200 per shot with my Mystic Knights? Maybe I just need some levels (all four are in the 17 range).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

khy posted:

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to participate in this, but I've got a loooooooong history of leaving RPGs half finished and I would likely not finish before this event is over and done with. I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive. Still I guess I'll give it a try sort of unofficially; play through on my own and come to this thread for help and advice.

I have that same problem, which is why the fiesta is great: you don't have to think about it anymore. You no longer get to decide.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anywhere I can grind out a handful of hi-potions, or am I just stuck with healing 50 hp at a time? If that's all I can get I'd better have two people on healing duty. And does regen from my bard's song heal by percentage or is there any way to make it better (e.g. have my Black Mage sing it with a higher Magic score)?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Poque posted:

At the very least, if he's using Maelstrom you're at the last bit of the fight, so you're really close if nothing else and a level or two could help push you over the edge.

Got him! I think the Ancient Sword did whatever it is it does so that probably helped. My last job is... Dragoon!

Anything interesting I can do with BM / MK / Bard / Dragoon?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Wait what are the rules when I only have three people and four jobs?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I just beat Atomos on my first try (ever!) but I'm pretty sure I got lucky: I let him take the Dragoon and the Mystic Knight first while the Bard just kept speeding up the Black Mage. By the time the Bard died and was getting sucked in, I was dropping bios like crazy. Now I'm looking it up and I can see that I should have been putting him to sleep, but oh well, this worked!

Question: I can't make any of the stat boosting songs go faster by having two people using them, can I? I'm assuming not, but it's hard to tell. If not, can I use two of them at the same time? And is there some sort of modifier with them, i.e. does having someone with higher Magic sing them make the numbers go up faster, or is it just flat?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anywhere I can get Reflect Rings (Wall Rings) in World 2 after beating the crystals? I'm going to need something to keep up with Exdeath as I'm pretty sure any -aga is going to one-shot any one of my party. If I don't have any way to reflect I guess I'll just have to tank at the beginning of the fight until I song my way to eight turns for every one of his. I managed to do it with the crystals even with four of them hitting me (double singing may or may not stack but it helps to have twice the chance for a song to continue while you're getting pounded on).

Will he run out of MP if I just keep lancing him?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Is there anywhere I can get Reflect Rings (Wall Rings) in World 2 after beating the crystals? I'm going to need something to keep up with Exdeath as I'm pretty sure any -aga is going to one-shot any one of my party. If I don't have any way to reflect I guess I'll just have to tank at the beginning of the fight until I song my way to eight turns for every one of his. I managed to do it with the crystals even with four of them hitting me (double singing may or may not stack but it helps to have twice the chance for a song to continue while you're getting pounded on).

Will he run out of MP if I just keep lancing him?

Trip report: got up there just to see how it would go and I bowled straight through him without even a single death. I was fully prepared to have the Bard suck when I drew it, but good lord it is the best class in the game, and my Black Mage is a give-no-gently caress nuke machine. Oh, cool, neat, Exdeath, you can attack twice per round? I can fully heal the entire party with potions and then hit you three times and rod-boosted firaga your rear end twice before you can hit me again.

I'm bound to get a really lovely party when this officially starts, aren't I? I will reiterate that this is, like, way more fun than every other time I've tried to play this game (and I've tried like ten times). Before this I'd never even made it to World 2.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, I think I'm ready to head into the Rift/Void. I have a legendary weapon for everyone (though my MK is using Enhancer), the Magic Lamp, Flare, all the bard songs, three pairs of Hermes Sandals, and a Reflect Ring. I think I'll be fine without getting more rings (I beat the fucker at the top of the Fork Tower without them so I feel like I can handle anything) but you guys know best. Anything else I should get before I go?

edit: yes I have the Chicken Knife but why would I run from things when I can nuke them?

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 9, 2015

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah but I'd have to run 200 more times to get it to do that much damage. I'd rather just have my MK cast -agas. Running away 200 times without an emulator fast-forward is not a small time investment.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
He didn't even hit me. Bards are kind of rad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Butz is giving Exdeath the finger.

That's pretty much how the fight went, too: I didn't even need him to attack so I just let him keep singing.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Are there any tricks to Magissa with Thieves? Or do I just need a whole lot of potions? With Siren I could just put them all in the back row and wait for the undead shift and drop a whole bunch of potions on her head, but this lady's dumb husband hits just as hard.

edit: I'm not sure I understand how Steal works... I just sat on a random encounter (two bull things) outside North Mountain for five minutes with all four guys trying to steal over and over and over again and it didn't work. The FAQ in the OP says it's a 40% chance and I stole unsuccessfully at least 30 times in a row. Is it affected by row? They were in the back.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 16, 2015

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Get to level 16 or so and you should have just enough damage to do about half of her HP (325) and then, in one go, do it again (so as not to summon Forza at all).

Yessssssss, did it at level 9: bought 99 potions and waited out Magissa's MP, then just traded shots with Forza (two potions for a regular hit and three for a tackle) until he went down.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Am I allowed to ask for all my jobs in advance or is that cheating?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My team is now full: Thief / Mystic Knight / Ninja / Dancer. Some Sword Dance questions:

1) Does it work with two weapons?
2) The "use Sword Dance more frequently" items don't stack, right?
3) Is it modified by row?
4) Does it use Spellblade spells?

And another random question: right from when I got them all the way through the Ronka Ruins, my two ninjas whiffed constantly. Am I just unlucky, or is there some accuracy penalty for ninjas or two weapons or daggers or something?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks friends! So basically I'm going to dance everything to death from here on out and punch myself in the face with fire swords to heal.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Man, can we put "get a Tiara from a Lamia" on the list of things to make sure to do in W1 if you don't know what your Earth job is? IF YOU DO TEMPTING TANGO ONE MORE TIME I WILL MURDER YOU LENNA

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Are there any specific rooms in the Barrier Tower you guys use to grind reflect rings? I just want to find a room with Reflect Knights but without those dirt ghost fuckers who blind on counter.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Huxley posted:

Tonight's the night my band of thieves takes down Garula.

Currently level 10. I took a halfhearted stab at him last night with not enough potions using the back-row strategy and it felt doable, though I'd rather not spend 1200 hit points bonking him 22 at a time. I feel like that's not fast enough and I'll end up needing more than 99 potions anyway. At least I think I can go team attack to halfway when he starts countering.

Make sure you have mythril daggers from the Wyverns / Y Burns! I've done it twice now with four thieves and I think it works best to have one dude in the front row as the only one doing the hitting and the other three slinging potions.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Omniscientchat: my party is Thief / Mystic Knight / Ninja / Dancer, so I have no magic damage and I'm playing on iOS so no way am I going to wait out his MP. I'm under the impression silencing him through Spellblade doesn't work, is that right? I climbed up the tower and tried to fight him with just my ninja only to find out I didn't ever actually buy Silence, so I tried two Mage Mashers, but the Silence just kept missing.

My other option is that I just don't fight him, of course. Not having Flare/Holy sword is a problem, but I sure am doing a whole lot of damage with my sword dances so I'm not sure if I absolutely need them. If the only options are wait until he runs out of MP and not fight him, there's no contest for me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Silence Spellblade works on the SNES/GBA versions. I don't think they changed it for the iOS release, but I'm not sure.

It worked!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Now!

This is it!

Take your chance!

Destroy Exdeath!

...okay right but first I'm going to go save

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, Team Highly Damaging Paper Bag (Thief/MKnight/Ninja/Dancer) got NED down to the last part (the one on the left) and he cast Meteor to kill three of them and immediately followed with a Vacuum Wave to kill the fourth. It's pretty much a one-hit kill no matter what for the Ninja and the Dancer, and any spell will kill the Thief in the back row or the MKnight (though the Aegis Shield helps occasionally). I think I was super lucky to even get that far; do I just need to get some more HP? They're all level 32-33, is that low? I can get him down to two parts with a Magic Lamp Odin and a Break Blade, but if that last part is just going to Meteor me whenever he feels like it, I don't think this is going to work.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Spikey posted:

The last part will always go nuts like that, so you should try to wear down the last two parts evenly or save one of the instantly killable parts for last.

Okay... so... I have to leave the Almagest part alive, and I can't survive a single Almagest. Levels, then?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
This just in: two-handing a Twin Lance and the Chicken Knife doesn't work on iOS. :(

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Other cool things I learned in this last try:

Ribbons mean gently caress all to Grand Cross when it zombies three of my characters twice.

Zombie ninjas can hit a different person with each hand! They can't do that to enemies, but wow! Awesome!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Team Highly Damaging Paper Bag wins! Barely recovered from two near-wipes, but I got him after a few more levels (and Grand Cross not loving me over and making everyone zombies every loving time).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My next run so far (standard #reg) is Knight / Red Mage / Ranger. Red is pretty much dead weight after a while in this setup, right?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mustard Iceman posted:

Red Mages aren't terrible... it's only when you're stuck with two of them that you start to think "oh god what did I do to deserve this?"

They kick rear end in the boring early part of the game, at least, and for that I am quite thankful.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I got a new phone yesterday and it turns out the iOS cloud save feature was just not working? My save isn't there. It's gone. My iTunes backup was also apparently not working. So everything's gone. Oh well. I was headed to Exdeath in W2 on my second run and I had a pretty easy party (Knight / Red / Ranger / Chemist) but I had done quite a bit of AP grinding that I don't want to do again. Is there some way to contact RK/Gilgabot and reroll for this run? Can I do a job fair reroll on all four classes just to start over?

edit: going for a total job fair reroll, woo

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 5, 2015

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mikl posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I kill Sandworm with a Thief / Time Mage / Geomancer team?

I think I figured out his gimmick: if I attack the holes they counter with Demi, so I have to be careful what I actually strike. So !Terrain is right out, since it either calls out the swirly sand thing (can't remember what it's called) for a 2/3 chance of hitting the hole, or on rare occasions Sandstorms which hits all three enemies (Sandworm and both holes) for delicious double demi fun :shepicide:

So I have to take it down with physical attacks? My damage output simply isn't high enough to win the damage race, especially since the fucker has an attack that hits all party members for ~60 damage (a full 1/6 of their HP) and causes HP drain.

I'm really at my wits' end here.

Unless... I haven't checked, but does breaking rods work? If so I think I can tank some Demis if it means grinding his face down with rods.

(This is the most fun I've ever had playing a JRPG, by the way. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.)

I just finished W1 with a relatively low-offense team like yours (Monk / Time / Bard, a little bit harder hitting but not much) and you can beat anything* by just Hasting everyone and keeping up your HP with the Healing Staff. Basically this post is just to tell you to make sure and go get the Healing Staff.

*break rods for the Cannon though

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
In the algorithm guide, does this:

code:
METEO
Damage = ((50..200) - Magic Defense) * M, M = 14.  Four attacks per casting
imply that M is always 14 and that level/magic don't affect Comet and Meteor?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay so Bard songs other than Swift Song don't really help a Time Mage, then, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm convinced Omega is faster on mobile because I can't lock him down with three hasted people singing Romeo's Ballad. He gets stopped for less than half of a hasted ATB bar and I'm not sure what to do with that.

• Locked thread